BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Folks faking disability for money

03-30-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Folks faking disability for money

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/loc...mepage%2Fstory

Lovely.

I see deadbeats aren't limited to cities or "lefty liberals".
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
C1Boston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Xdrive coupe

I worked for a Personal Injury/Disability firm fresh out of college and this isnt surprising. However, this is rare...the media always makes a huge story out of this and from my experience this is very very rare (trump voice). A handful of things, the very first is that the vast majority of people who are on disability TRULY need it. Most of these people have worked blue collar jobs all their lives and now their backs just cannot handle the work load anymore.... or they have Diabetes, Multiple Sclerosis or any disease that prevents them from being gainfully employed. These people tend to not be very far from age of retirement, there are some who are fairly young but for the most part the claimant is close to retirement.

Disability is very HARD to get approved for, contrary to popular belief...you just dont apply and tada!. On average, somebody has to wait 1 year + to be approved, they have to go in front of a judge and collect medical records. While they are waiting the Feds require that they do not work...imagine not having a paycheck for a year+ (short term disability from work runs out), this is the reality that a lot of people are faced with. There are exceptions to this which requires that the claimant be terminally ill....usually its people with Cancer (typically has to be at an advanced stage) that get approved quickly but ive also seen a lady with stage 4 brain cancer be denied....while at the same time a 30 yr old lady from Tennessee gets approved for "back injuries and mental conditions".

I also ran into a lot of people who were blatantly racist/prejudice....claiming that illegals and blacks were the main recipients of Disability...this was overwhelming false. Moreover, I also saw applications and "claims" from 20 year olds claiming they could not work. I go on rants for hours about how flawed and unforgivable the Disability system can be but I do know that this helps a ton of Americans every day. It prevents people form losing their homes, drowning in medical bills and allows them to feed their family properly.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy2430.50
Lups11035.50

03-30-2017, 03:35 PM   #3
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

I knew a guy that was suing his employer for injury and the company must have hired a private detective that took several photos of him going to an ATM.. etc.. lol
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 03:38 PM   #4
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1Boston View Post
I worked for a Personal Injury/Disability firm fresh out of college and this isnt surprising. However, this is rare...the media always makes a huge story out of this and from my experience this is very very rare (trump voice). A handful of things, the very first is that the vast majority of people who are on disability TRULY need it. Most of these people have worked blue collar jobs all their lives and now their backs just cannot handle the work load anymore.... or they have Diabetes, Multiple Sclerosis or any disease that prevents them from being gainfully employed. These people tend to not be very far from age of retirement, there are some who are fairly young but for the most part the claimant is close to retirement.

Disability is very HARD to get approved for, contrary to popular belief...you just dont apply and tada!. On average, somebody has to wait 1 year + to be approved, they have to go in front of a judge and collect medical records. While they are waiting the Feds require that they do not work...imagine not having a paycheck for a year+ (short term disability from work runs out), this is the reality that a lot of people are faced with. There are exceptions to this which requires that the claimant be terminally ill....usually its people with Cancer (typically has to be at an advanced stage) that get approved quickly but ive also seen a lady with stage 4 brain cancer be denied....while at the same time a 30 yr old lady from Tennessee gets approved for "back injuries and mental conditions".

I also ran into a lot of people who were blatantly racist/prejudice....claiming that illegals and blacks were the main recipients of Disability...this was overwhelming false. Moreover, I also saw applications and "claims" from 20 year olds claiming they could not work.
Oh yeah I don't doubt that the majority of people need it, but I never really considered a minority proportion trying to take advantage of it.

When working for this firm did you deal with folks mainly in rural areas?

How long ago did you work there for? It does mention in their analysis that rural areas have been increasing in disability claims over the past few years outpacing other locations.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
C1Boston
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Oh yeah I don't doubt that the majority of people need it, but I never really considered a minority proportion trying to take advantage of it.

When working for this firm did you deal with folks mainly in rural areas?

How long ago did you work there for? It does mention in their analysis that rural areas have been increasing in disability claims over the past few years outpacing other locations.
We had just as many clients from rural areas as we did from non-rural's. We represented people from all over the country. I would say the states that we had the most clients in were Florida, Arizona, Nevada and California (I'm sure there are more but these come to mind at the moment. The red states were a PAIN in the ass, it was harder to help people from states with Rep governors/leaders.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
C1Boston
Private First Class
Rep

Edit: 9/10 times somebody who draws funds from Disability through illegitimate ways eventually gets a bill in the mail for all the money they have been collecting for free. The government will make your life hell if you happen to be one of those idiots who think they can fool the system. Also, if you draw money from Disability and think you can double up on it by going back to work, the government will ALSO bill you for all the money you've collected after deciding you can go back to work.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 06:31 PM   #7
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 6MT Jerez Black

Quote:

Lovely.

Ain't that something.
AA Gen 3 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; DB Undertray; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; KWv3 Coilovers w/Swift Springs 448F/784R; Vorschlag Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; APR Splitter; APR GT250 Rear Wing; Autopower Rollbar; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 08:38 PM   #8
Greyfox
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 295k+

Wow... what a hack article and twisting stats around is superb. If you have 3 people in a county that are on disability and add 1 more.. you just had a 25% increase in disability cases.

ROFLMAO!!! Figures the Washington Compost would be the one doing this.

And those gaming the system, need to be found out and punished.

But since all the industries that basically used and abused people for years and then abandoned whole areas and went over seas or south of the border thanks to trade deals that favored other countries are partially to blame.

But who cares... WaPo says otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 08:43 PM   #9
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

It's a huge thing here too. People fake injury/disability and get care assistance and hire their friends and family as helpers and collect 3-4 full time salaries but still go to their normal jobs too.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 09:10 AM   #10
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Wow... what a hack article and twisting stats around is superb. If you have 3 people in a county that are on disability and add 1 more.. you just had a 25% increase in disability cases.
Yes, but 3 people in a county weren't on disability.

The article never said disable fraud is a big issue, it literally just followed one family who are probably disabled but are choosing to stay on it rather than look for work. It's an anecdotal example, the article even notes that the rising disable claims are likely due to just baby boomers growing older.

Quote:
But since all the industries that basically used and abused people for years and then abandoned whole areas and went over seas or south of the border thanks to trade deals that favored other countries are partially to blame.
Yes they are.

Quote:
But who cares... WaPo says otherwise.
That's not what they said...at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 09:46 AM   #11
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

There are just as many people in the world working hard for an unhonest dollar as there are for the honest dollar.

Fraud, faking, illegal, unethical however you want to summarize it.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 09:50 AM   #12
trvplvrdBOI
Many men...wish death.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: at 14mpg

Quote:

Lovely.

That damned Fox news is Trump propaganda! Smh.
Appreciate 0