BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Fugitives surrender to armed civilians

06-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #1
thegump
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 - Sold

Fugitives surrender to armed civilians

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/16/us/geo...ure/index.html

Summary:
Two inmates over power and murder two correctional offices during prison transfer. They then proceed to steal a multitude of vehicles and rob two homes over the course of three days before surrendering to two armed homeowners.

Curious to hear from individuals that are pro-gun control/ban.

Edit: FYI, I am pro 2nd amendment but also want stricter gun laws.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #2
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
The Chaddening
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT

Holy shit they got arrested in the county I live in. Didn't even hear about this.

Psalm 23:1
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

We should send a missile up Kim Jong-un's ass.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Nice little reward check for the guys the caught them.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #6
vividracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

The only gun control im interested in, is using 2 hands.
Appreciate 1
David0ff940.50

06-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #7
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegump View Post

MKSixer20247.00
scostu1187.50

06-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #8
thegump
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Isn't that why Rodman went over there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Do explain.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #9
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/16/us/geo...ure/index.html

Summary:
Two inmates over power and murder two correctional offices during prison transfer. They then proceed to steal a multitude of vehicles and rob two homes over the course of three days before surrendering to two armed homeowners.

Curious to hear from individuals that are pro-gun control/ban.

What stricter gun laws do you want?
      06-16-2017, 11:18 PM   #10
thegump
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
What stricter gun laws do you want?
I would like to see the completion of mandatory training programs before owning a gun. We do it for driving, why not guns as well? I don't think it should be as easy as going into the local sporting goods store and walking out with an ar-15, or any gun, needing only a driver's license. Sure it's ok for the average law abiding citizen but what about the schizophrenic that hates their job and the people that work there?

I would also like to see harsher punishment for those that possess them illegally. There​ isn't any reason a person would need to obtain a gun illegally unless they had ill intent.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 12:01 AM   #11
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Do explain.
"Shall not be infringed"
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 12:06 AM   #12
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
I would like to see the completion of mandatory training programs before owning a gun. We do it for driving, why not guns as well? I don't think it should be as easy as going into the local sporting goods store and walking out with an ar-15, or any gun, needing only a driver's license. Sure it's ok for the average law abiding citizen but what about the schizophrenic that hates their job and the people that work there?

I would also like to see harsher punishment for those that possess them illegally. There​ isn't any reason a person would need to obtain a gun illegally unless they had ill intent.
How would the training that you describe, and I am not against it, prevent a schizophrenic from obtaining a gun?
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 06:43 AM   #13
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:

Why mandatory? And I disagree. Driving is not in the bill of rights, but gun ownership is, so it is a different situation than owning a car. Plus you do not have to have a drivers license to buy an automobile, you have to have a drivers license (i.e. proper training) to operate an automobile on public streets, so the analogy you put forth really is saying psychopaths who want to use a gun to kill people should be properly trained to use it. If the gun course is mandatory, then there is the prospect of restricting the right of an otherwise qualified citizen the right to own a gun if the person is deemed to not pass the training course; this would be unconstitutional.

There are already laws in place to keep legally-determined mentally ill people from legally purchasing guns.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 1
scostu1187.50

06-17-2017, 06:48 AM   #14
scostu
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:

Do explain.
Driving is a privilege
Owning a gun is a constitutional right.

Retired:2014 F31, 2013 Audi Q5 3.0T P+,
2013 WK2..Hemi, 2011 E90, 2008 E70, 2004 E46
Appreciate 1
fbsm727.00

06-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #15
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Do explain.
If one is pro-2nd Amendment, they cannot also favor gun control. The ideas are mutually exclusive. The whole idea behind the Bill of Rights is that by mere virtue of our existence we have certain inalienable rights granted by a higher power (ie, a power greater than that of any man or government), thus no human being or collection of human beings has the authority to restrict said rights.

Quote:
First off, one doesn't just need a driver's license, one would also have to complete and successfully pass a background check through the NICS database. Secondly, as others have mentioned, the right to bear arms is just that, a right. Driving is a privilege. Thirdly, as others have mentioned, one doesn't need a drivers license to purchase a motor vehicle, only to (legally) operate a motor vehicle on public roadways. Do you mean that training should be required for those who choose to carry a firearm on a day-to-day basis? I could get on board with that, if only to educate carriers on the laws that pertain to them. I'm not ok with the idea of having to 'qualify' to carry a firearm though.

Who would conduct such training? How long would it be? What would it consist of? Who would pay for it? It's a nice thought, but once one considers the implications of such a suggestion it becomes very hard to see how we could do it without infringing on the 2A.

Quote:
Only siths deal in absolutes.

I found out this weekend that a friend is on firearms disability. He's a good man and a veteran who married a crazy woman. After several episodes of actual physical, mental and emotional abuse on her part he made the decision to end the relationship. Upon announcing his intent to divorce her she falsely accused him of domestic abuse - being that our justice system is what it is, the courts sided with her and he is unable to be in possession of a firearm until he can get his record expunged. He just wants to be able to go to the range and enjoy some quality time with friends and family again; is that ill intent?
      06-19-2017, 07:39 AM   #16
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by scostu View Post
Driving on public roads is a privilege
Owning a gun is a constitutional right.
Slight clarification to a nearly perfect summary
Appreciate 0