BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion I think Tesla will be gone in ten years

12-23-2019, 03:37 PM   #2641
joshuastein55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Rimac scored $1.3B in funding today. Interesting to see how this will impact Tesla, and the EV market as a whole.
I think you mean Rivian... they are honestly one of the EV manufactures I'm really looking forward to and hope they do well.
Attached Images

12-23-2019, 03:49 PM   #2642
M5theonlyone
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 V8 Gunmetal

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Funny how most thinks EV are the future but my own prediction is Tesla might not be around 10 years from now.

They loss USD620M in 2016 and loss USD13,000 on very car they sold. The loss was only USD4,000 per car back in 2015.

Their cash flows are predominantly sustained by all the punters from Wall street.

When Wall street crashes (not if but when) and pull the plug so will Tesla.
Tesla>>DeLorean probably.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast4161.00

12-24-2019, 08:48 AM   #2643
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Competition?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKBN1YR1KF

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Tesla>>DeLorean probably.
Possibly similar to Fisker but nonetheless the outcome is the same.
Fisker and Tesla are intertwined because of the Designer and Felon Musk lawsuits against him that failed.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #2644
The Chaddening
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT

Attached Images

Psalm 23:1
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2019, 05:08 PM   #2645
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaddening View Post
Holy shit
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2019, 07:02 PM   #2646
The Chaddening
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Holy shit
It’s time to invest my friend.

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #2647
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Tesla investing is pretty close to gambling ... plus you have the fundamentals-dudes who keep shorting, but keep getting electric ass-banged by Musk

This year from January to June Tesla plunged 46%, making short-sellers $5B ... but now at the tail end of the year Tesla has skyrocketed 126%, taking down short-sellers by $7.6B. (and that's after losing $6B in '16-'17-'18) ... not surprising that Tesla shorted shares fell from 41M in June to 29M in Nov.

And Musk has provided a pretty clear roadmap of Tesla's growth drivers:

* Ramp-up of Model 3 at Gigafactory 3 in China (2020 earnings potential),
* Start-up of Model Y in Silicon Valley (2020 earnings potential)
* Production of the Cybertruck
* Production of the Model Y at Gigafactory 4 in Germany
* Production of Model Y in China
* Production of the Model 3 in Europe

And Musk has converted some big name Tesla bears, like Jim Cramer and Kevin O’Leary, into Tesla bulls.

Nevertheless, Tesla's market cap to market share is insane, not to mention its shaky profits.

Even though this is from 2016, it illustrates how huge Tesla's stock price is compared to its market share ...

TLDER: It seems like Tesla's share price has already accounted for massive future growth, but who the fuck knows? shit be crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2019, 08:02 PM   #2648
The Chaddening
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Tesla investing is pretty close to gambling ... plus you have the fundamentals-dudes who keep shorting, but keep getting electric ass-banged by Musk

This year from January to June Tesla plunged 46%, making short-sellers $5B ... but now at the tail end of the year Tesla has skyrocketed 126%, taking down short-sellers by $7.6B. (and that's after losing $6B in '16-'17-'18) ... not surprising that Tesla shorted shares fell from 41M in June to 29M in Nov.

And Musk has provided a pretty clear roadmap of Tesla's growth drivers:

* Ramp-up of Model 3 at Gigafactory 3 in China (2020 earnings potential),
* Start-up of Model Y in Silicon Valley (2020 earnings potential)
* Production of the Cybertruck
* Production of the Model Y at Gigafactory 4 in Germany
* Production of Model Y in China
* Production of the Model 3 in Europe

And Musk has converted some big name Tesla bears, like Jim Cramer and Kevin O’Leary, into Tesla bulls.

Nevertheless, Tesla's market cap to market share is insane, not to mention its shaky profits.

Even though this is from 2016, it illustrates how huge Tesla's stock price is compared to its market share ...

TLDER: It seems like Tesla's share price has already accounted for massive future growth, but who the fuck knows? shit be crazy.
Solid post.

I pretty much came here to shit post a meme, and now I’m moderately informed

Appreciate 1
GrussGott8091.50

12-24-2019, 09:30 PM   #2649
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Holy shit
I've played the TSLA game twice already and made a bit each time before it tanked both times.
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 2
      12-24-2019, 10:00 PM   #2650
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Post your P&L from being a believer (investor) instead of a MEME.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 10:47 PM   #2651
The Chaddening
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Post your P&L from being a believer (investor) instead of a MEME.
I don’t invest in Tesla and likely won’t because they seem way to unpredictable.

And that truck looked like something I drew in 3rd grade.

Appreciate 3
iconoclast4161.00
GrussGott8091.50
Efthreeoh6593.50

12-25-2019, 01:15 PM   #2652
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I don’t invest in Tesla and likely won’t because they seem way to unpredictable.

And that truck looked like something I drew in 3rd grade.
The best part about this thread is it's in the politics / religion forum, which is basically where Tesla is these days ... I'm a huge fan of controversy.

The thing is, I'm very afraid for BMW right now as they're living off of a past brand halo - right now, BMW is like the Sears of car industry: an big - but old - brand, lots of foot traffic, but only dabbling in the future. BMW is resting on old people and it's always been a young person's car brand (your dad drives a benz, you drive a bimmer)

At some point, the "yeah but let's see the model 3 keep up at the track" argument is going to crumble since (a.) 10% of people actually go to the track, and (b.) kids getting blasted by electrics from stop lights.

Electrics are the future, and when a Tesla Raven can keep up and/or beat the best Porsche can put on the 'ring ... where's that leave BMW?

According to the IAE China is responsible for around 45% of the world’s electric car market! Last I checked, China has a lot of people, a lot more than the US, which means we're already buying the cars the Chinese like and they like electrics ...

... and Tesla is the ONLY auto major manufacturer with a wholly-owned electric car manufacturing facility in China.

Math ain't looking good for BMW.

Quote:
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #2653
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
The best part about this thread is it's in the politics / religion forum, which is basically where Tesla is these days ... I'm a huge fan of controversy.

The thing is, I'm very afraid for BMW right now as they're living off of a past brand halo - right now, BMW is like the Sears of car industry: an big - but old - brand, lots of foot traffic, but only dabbling in the future. BMW is resting on old people and it's always been a young person's car brand (your dad drives a benz, you drive a bimmer)

At some point, the "yeah but let's see the model 3 keep up at the track" argument is going to crumble since (a.) 10% of people actually go to the track, and (b.) kids getting blasted by electrics from stop lights.

Electrics are the future, and when a Tesla Raven can keep up and/or beat the best Porsche can put on the 'ring ... where's that leave BMW?

According to the IAE China is responsible for around 45% of the world’s electric car market! Last I checked, China has a lot of people, a lot more than the US, which means we're already buying the cars the Chinese like and they like electrics ...

... and Tesla is the ONLY auto major manufacturer with a wholly-owned electric car manufacturing facility in China.

Just because you have a lot of people doesnt mean they have the buying power to purchase a high end item
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 01:42 PM   #2654
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
Just because you have a lot of people doesnt mean they have the buying power to purchase a high end item
Right now most Chinese don't, but chinese demand for model 3s is as many as Musk can make, which is why he's building a factory in Shanghai - he wouldn't be doing that if the price wasn't going to come down to meet demand ... and China has 45% of the market right now !

When you add up add electric demand for China and Europe, it's huge - ICE cars are going the way of the dinosaur and US consumers will soon be 2nd tier consumers ... maybe we already are.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 01:45 PM   #2655
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:

Other than parts availability, if BMW went the way of AMC, at this point in time with the product currently offered and what's in the pipeline, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I don't think the electric future is as close as everyone thinks. Once and if (a big IF) autonomous driving comes into existence then there truly is no need for the Ultimate Driving Machine. At that point cars will be just different, mass produced pods of different colors.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #2656
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Right now most Chinese don't, but chinese demand for model 3s is as many as Musk can make, which is why he's building a factory in Shanghai - he wouldn't be doing that if the price wasn't going to come down to meet demand ... and China has 45% of the market right now !

When you add up add electric demand for China and Europe, it's huge - ICE cars are going the way of the dinosaur and US consumers will soon be 2nd tier consumers ... maybe we already are.
Infrastructure is going to be the limiting factor in all region and I can see as the electric grid get more tax by ev governments and utilities slapping ev taxes that will make buying those vehicals less persuasive.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #2657
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I don't think the electric future is as close as everyone thinks.
We're in the eye of the storm: the first disruptive wave has passed through, but now things are in a weird pause:

(1.) Big-scale auto manufacturers can't make a decent electric product because they don't want to disrupt their existing business and profits ... and ...

(2.) Companies with a decent electric product, can't produce it at scale because they're new and lack infrastructure

Said differently, what would Tesla's all-engine market share look like if they could produce as many cars/trucks as customers want? More importantly, how fast would that all-vehicle market share be growing?

I'd say we're about 4 years away from that EV singularity. And that's when the 2nd wave of the storm hits.

One we hit that, the majority of the people on this board will either have an EV or be considering one, and ICE vehicles will lose every power contest.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 02:33 PM   #2658
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4

Quote:
Quote:
We're in the eye of the storm: the first disruptive wave has passed through, but now things are in a weird pause:

(1.) Big-scale auto manufacturers can't make a decent electric product because they don't want to disrupt their existing business and profits ... and ...

(2.) Companies with a decent electric product, can't produce it at scale because they're new and lack infrastructure

Said differently, what would Tesla's all-engine market share look like if they could produce as many cars/trucks as customers want? More importantly, how fast would that all-vehicle market share be growing?

I'd say we're about 4 years away from that EV singularity. And that's when the 2nd wave of the storm hits.

One we hit that, the majority of the people on this board will either have an EV or be considering one, and ICE vehicles will lose every power contest.
Some of us may consider an EV in addition to, but not as a 1-for-1 replacement, and an EV would be my commuter special rather than my "fun" car. I'll always have a MT ICE.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #2659
clivem2
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Let's face it, EVs currently aren't a good deal. They move pollution out of cities but they need rare earth metals and spray additional rubber & brake pad particles into the environment. Even many environmentalists don't see current EVs as a panecea, mostly it's a tax wheeze
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #2660
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I'll always have a MT ICE
Ok, ok, don't get all cranked up... I bet they have some Jell-O in the fridge for you, let me go check, ok? I'll get you a quilt on the way back...

Quote:
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan4304.00

12-25-2019, 07:08 PM   #2661
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Some of us may consider an EV in addition to, but not as a 1-for-1 replacement, and an EV would be my commuter special rather than my "fun" car. I'll always have a MT ICE.
Agree. Lack of options with regards to residential charging is going to hold back adoption.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan4304.00
GrussGott8091.50

12-25-2019, 08:34 PM   #2662
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4

Quote:
Quote:
I'll always have a MT ICE [IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Ok, ok, don't get all cranked up... I bet they have some Jell-O in the fridge for you, let me go check, ok? I'll get you a quilt on the way back...

Well thank you Sir!
Appreciate 1
GrussGott8091.50