BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Can you drive recreationally during a Stay-at-home order?

Today, 10:52 AM   #1
GenXer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Chevy

Garage List
Can you drive recreationally during a Stay-at-home order?

My home state of Ohio has issued a Stay-at-home order that is effective until May 1. However I still have to drive to work, gas station, post office etc --basically anything essential. However, you can still go to the park or perform necessary outdoor activities. The fines are up to $750 and/or up to 90 days in jail while being charged with a misdemeanor.

(based on your location; US and other countries)
My questions are:

1. Can you drive around for recreation for the sake of enjoyment? Can you count driving as a necessary part of exercise and outdoor activities?

2. Providing you drive sensibly, has anyone encounter law enforcement stop or been fined under this restriction or is this a law that can't really be enforced?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:58 AM   #2
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Garage List
Simply driving/walking/existing in public is not enough to constitute a traffic/subject stop. If you happen to get involve doing in a collision, or are pulled over for a traffic violation, that is when you would be risking being cited for violating an emergency stay-at-home order.

My agency, as well as most others locally that I’m aware of, have specifically directed officers not to conduct any stops solely for the purpose of determining why someone is out in public.
Appreciate 2
      Today, 11:12 AM   #3
GenXer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Dominion_2 View Post
Simply driving/walking/existing in public is not enough to constitute a traffic/subject stop. If you happen to get involve doing in a collision, or are pulled over for a traffic violation, that is when you would be risking being cited for violating an emergency stay-at-home order.

My agency, as well as most others locally that Iím aware of, have specifically directed officers not to conduct any stops solely for the purpose of determining why someone is out in public.
So if I were to hit a deer while driving, I can just say I was going to work?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:14 AM   #4
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
So if I were to hit a deer while driving, I can just say I was going to work?
I would never advise anyone to lie, but for what itís worth, how would anyone know? You could very well also be going to the grocery store, or to a state park to go for a hike. There are so many loopholes in these orders itís crazy...
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:14 AM   #5
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Simply driving/walking/existing in public is not enough to constitute a traffic/subject stop.
DE, RI, FL & PA State Troopers are pulling over anyone with out of state plates.
Appreciate 1
DocL223.00

Today, 11:21 AM   #6
GenXer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You could also live in the Philippines!

https://www.news9.com/story/41967605...virus-lockdown
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:21 AM   #7
Rmtt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Police cite woman for going on leisurely drive during Pennsylvania stay-at-home order.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ve/2942950001/
      Today, 11:27 AM   #8
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Agencies that choose to operate contrary to the constitution are essentially signing up for a slam-dunk lawsuit. ��

Indiana must have a bit more sense than some other places, thankfully. So far there has only been one person in my county charged with violating our order, but that wasn’t the reason for the contact.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:30 AM   #9
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This Sheriff seems to actually respect peopleís rights:

https://maineexaminer.com/maine-sher...-police-state/
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:29 PM   #10
adc100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
Agencies that choose to operate contrary to the constitution are essentially signing up for a slam-dunk lawsuit. ��

Indiana must have a bit more sense than some other places, thankfully. So far there has only been one person in my county charged with violating our order, but that wasnít the reason for the contact.
Read the constitution. You are wrong
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:37 PM   #11
VisualEcho
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
During our stay-at-home order I plan to take drives, and do my normal solitary photography. I can't imagine that would cause any harm, unless again, if I were to get into an accident (extremely unlikely).
      Today, 02:16 PM   #12
DieselOG
Goin' Hard @ Hardee's
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Msport

We are still aloud to drive around for recreation up here, depends on the state
      Today, 02:27 PM   #13
Eriphill
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i

Don't buy into the mass hysteria. Get out of the house and go for a drive, go for a walk. The upside of a pandemic is the roads are almost empty in the evenings and from what I've seen very few cops on the roads. I hadn't driven my car in a couple weeks and was f'ing killing it yesterday
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:42 PM   #14
Jordan's World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe

I'll pay the fine if it means maintaining my sanity.

Also, no issues here in central FL. We just entered a stay at home order Friday and no one cares.

Last edited by Jordan's World; Today at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:51 PM   #15
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

just tell the cop you're going to the grocery store
Appreciate 1
      Today, 03:42 PM   #16
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post
Also, no issues here in central FL. We just entered a stay at home order Friday and no one cares.
Uncle had issues with State Troopers. He has multiple cars and lives in Florida most of the year and one them is an SUV with NY plates which is typically up here all winter but he drove it down because of the cargo capacity. They told him to keep that one parked and use the other with FL tags to avoid issues of being pulled over going forward.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:55 PM   #17
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Uncle had issues with State Troopers. He has multiple cars and lives in Florida most of the year and one them is an SUV with NY plates which is typically up here all winter but he drove it down because of the cargo capacity. They told him to keep that one parked and use the other with FL tags to avoid issues of being pulled over going forward.
This is precisely why I haven't gone to my vacation property in DE to at least have a change in scenery. All of my vehicles are registered in the state of my primary residence.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:59 PM   #18
quick6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M6,BMW M340i

If you get pulled over, just start coughing... Seriously, the police officers I've seen seem to be preoccupied with other matters and are social distancing like the rest of us.

Go for a drive.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:30 PM   #19
Our03z4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe

Been driving my Z a bunch...but now my tank is low so game over.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:34 PM   #20
brad850csi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

While I donít like EVs I guess the whole charge at home thing is useful at the moment
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:21 PM   #21
Turkish Pickle
tell me a lie in a beautiful way
United_States
Rep
Drives: MKS V6 AWD - F10 525d xDrive

I'm just taking the long way to the grocery store a few times a day now and I always keep on forgetting my wallet! Such a clutz...
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:50 PM   #22
cooolone2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Is amazing that asking for permission to move, or travel is even considered. There's a very compelling reason why the POTUS backed away from ordering anything similar. States have no ability to prevent travel either... And if you need to know why, I'll skim the surface and then you can all do your own education program/research.

In the Constitution of these United States, there's a simple little thing called the Commerce Clause, and it provides for the free travel to/fro as it has been from the days the States aligned their Sovereignty to a Union of States. There's no border checks at each, never has been, never will be, well maybe, lol.

They want you to believe that a Governor has the ability within his/her State for "Safety Reasons" to be able to suspend your Constitutional Rights, but this isn't so. Is it, or has it been done absolutely! Jus research Katrina and Louisiana... You'll see how bad it could get.

Ultimately, the biggest problem has been exhibited that it is in these times, of Uber Hypersensationalized Events, that the Federal and State Governments grab power and hold onto it. 9-11 created new legal paradigm's and centralized power structure within the Federal Gov't unprecedented previously. And with little to show for what/why, even 2 decades later, little power taken has been relaxed.

Experience a V&T stop, and questioned as to purpose of travel... It's your call to answer or not. I wouldn't, and I would explain (nicely) that I'm not required to, legally! An "Order" is not Law, the Governor does not have that ability, reserved for the legislature! And the Judicial branch can only interpret law. And quite frankly, any law, even if enacted that is in opposition to anything contained within the Constitution, cannot be law as it is not valid, can never be.

So yes, before you go there, they can institute "controls" such as not allowing a horse drawn buggy on a major freeway, or allow vehicles to transport more weight than it is rated for, etc. But to limit travel "at all" or "only" for purposes approved by the State (residents only) is not lawful. They won't tell you that, and nobody is really going to challenge it.

I'm not advocating it, as I've hunckered down doing my part, or defending those who want to do it for the purpose of antagonising LE. Just that it's important to discern the difference! I want to take a ride from NY to NH to see the White Mountains, eat lunch (packed) and travel back to NY... It's nobody's business, at all, let alone the Federal or State Governments!

Be Safe out there!
Regards
Appreciate 0