BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Trump cuts funding to "Sanctuary Cities"

01-25-2017, 10:44 PM   #1
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d

Trump cuts funding to "Sanctuary Cities"

For Oakland, here's a list of cuts. Tell me again that Trump's agenda benefits all Americans?

Here's a list of some City of Oakland programs funded by the U.S. government that could be weakened or eliminated if Trump's order is fully executed.
One of Oakland's biggest federally funded programs is Head Start, the childcare centers for low-income families. Head Start provides nutrition education, healthcare, mental health services, and much more for children and their parents. Oakland has been getting federal money to run its numerous Head Start daycares since 1971. This year, 1,038 kids were enrolled and the feds provided $16.7 million in support — three-quarters of the program's total cost.

Lead Safe Hazard Paint Program: Oakland's program to help low-income property owners remove toxic lead paint is funded through a federal grant. Last year the program was used to remove lead from 20 buildings.

Homeless shelters and healthcare: Using federal funds, Oakland supports shelters and harm reduction and healthcare services for thousands of people living on the city's streets. For example, last year the city used HUD money to provide shelter for 548 people at the Crossroads Emergency Shelter in deep east Oakland. The city's Homeless Mobile Outreach Program also distributed food, hygiene kits, blankets, water, and resources and referrals to 546 people.
Providing housing for homeless people with HIV/AIDS: Oakland case workers found transitional and permanent housing for 161 people living with HIV/AIDS last year. Without federal funding, the program will be scaled back drastically, or possibly eliminated.

Fixing housing for low-income seniors: Last year, the city spent $274,977 to make 81 units of housing safer and more accessible for seniors and disabled people.

Earthquake and fire emergency response: Since 1991, Oakland has received millions in Federal Emergency Management Agency funds to purchase search and rescue equipment and train its fire department to save lives in case of a major disaster. Most recently Oakland got $1.2 million.

Cleaning up toxic land to build housing: Oakland has obtained $2 million in federal funds to find and clean up toxic pollution on sites that later become housing or commercial buildings. Just last month, Oakland accepted a $110,000 grant from the U.S. EPA to help the city identify contaminated land along International Boulevard. Without these grants, many contaminated parcels in Oakland will remain blighted.

Rape investigations: For years Oakland, like many cities, hasn't had the resources necessary to process DNA kits that are used to identify suspects in rape investigations. The US Department of Justice gave Oakland $312,241 last year to help pay for these time-consuming laboratory tests. Although Trump's immigration order appears to exempt law enforcement-related grants, it's entirely up to the U.S. Attorney General to decide what qualifies, so it's possible some grants like this could be eliminated for sanctuary cities also.

Food for low-income seniors: Using HUD Community Development Block Grant money, Oakland provides food to impoverished and malnourished seniors. This year, Oakland spent $20,000 in federal funds to pay for food subsidies for 5,752 people living in East Oakland through the Alameda County Community Food Bank.

Strengthening homes against earthquakes: In the event of a major earthquake, as many as 26,000 housing units in Oakland, or 15 percent of the total, will become uninhabitable. The way to prepare for this is by seismically retrofitting homes and apartment buildings, but the costs are enormous. Oakland has been seeking millions from the federal government to slowly work on this problem. Just last year the city tried to leverage $1.95 million in federal funds into $6 million using local and state money to retrofit buildings.

$39.2 million to fix the Oakland Airport’s runways: The Port of Oakland is a municipal department and therefore probably subject to the intent of Trump’s order to withhold money from sanctuary cities. A lot of money used to improve the port’s maritime and aviation infrastructure comes from the feds. In fact, at the port’s board meeting tomorrow, its commissioners are expected to approve a grant application to the Federal Aviation Administration seeking $39.2 million to repave the main runway. That strip of asphalt hasn’t been upgraded since 2001.
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2017, 11:11 PM   #2
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Keyword in beginning of that article "could", not what is getting weakened or eliminated.

Take deep breath and wait to see what gets defended. Then you can get your panties in a bunch.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 11:16 PM   #3
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Keyword in beginning of that article "could", not what is getting weakened or eliminated.

Take deep breath and wait to see what gets defended. Then you can get your panties in a bunch.
So you agree on one hand it's either all bark and no bite or on the other hand it's gutting essential services to make actual American citizens suffer?

Go ahead and tell the women in Oakland you're not testing their rape kit for a while...
Appreciate 2
Lups11027.50
FSociety3244.00

01-25-2017, 11:25 PM   #4
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
So you agree on one hand it's either all bark and no bite or on the other hand it's gutting essential services to make actual American citizens suffer?
Just saying wait to see what actually gets defended before you react. Also that is a list of "some" programs, as in not all. I give the person writing the article credit, they picked programs that would trigger liberals.
Appreciate 5
Mr Tonka5853.00
larryn2026.50
M4_GTS931.00

01-25-2017, 11:27 PM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Just saying wait to see what actually gets defended before you react. Also that is a list of "some" programs, as in not all. I give the person writing the article credit, they picked programs that would trigger liberals.
Oh, media's fault again, got it.
Appreciate 3
Doc Oc1365.50
FSociety3244.00

01-25-2017, 11:28 PM   #6
Stangorang
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:

Go ahead and tell the women in Oakland you're not testing their rape kit for a while...
These are uncertain times. But find comfort in knowing you/we live in a state with enormous political and economic clout. California has a history of doing what it believes is best for Californians and the country.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 11:38 PM   #7
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Oh, media's fault again, got it.
What? Medias fault for what?

You do realize that article isn't stating those programs are being weakened or eliminated? Once again they are "some" of the programs that "could" be weakened or eliminated.

No one knows anything yet.

I am simply saying...wait until you see what programs they actually defund, before you get triggered.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 12:20 AM   #8
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i

Quote:

Well California already told a large majority of those women that they are not allowed to carry a firearm to defend themselves from those intending to rape them..

Just a thought..
Appreciate 6
scostu1182.50
Dave 90TT1879.00
Irishsig300.50
FSociety3244.00
bbbbmw2379.00

01-26-2017, 12:23 AM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
Well California already told a large majority of those women that they are not allowed to carry a firearm to defend themselves from those intending to rape them..

Just a thought..
Nice try, but even if you offered them a free gun, most would not accept it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 12:24 AM   #10
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nice try, but even if you offered them a free gun, most would not accept it.
That is a great possibility because of conditioning.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 12:26 AM   #11
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
That is a great possibility because of conditioning.
thanks for playing. I grew up in a gun friendly state, same thing goes there. A good portion of women don't want to carry. Many don't even want them in the house with kids around. When I grew up, I knew more families without guns than with.

Are we really turning this thread into a gun debate?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 12:36 AM   #12
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
thanks for playing.
Guess I replied before you were done editing. No this is not a gun debate but a defend yourself and others debate and the conditioning that the government does.

Well I am very happy that the Army told me I only had to be in California for a couple of years. California has been conditioning people for years that guns are evil, slowly increasing gun restrictions to make it harder and harder for people to own or heaven forbid ever want to put bullets in one.

This is the same thing I experienced in France. Shortly after the Paris attacks I was talking to people and asked what they thought about concealed carry by civilians. They were terrified of the thought that someone other than the police or Army would have a gun to take action in an emergency situation.. If you haven't been in France in the last year or so, Police on every other corner and roving military patrols are the norm.

Until California can provide the proper protection of their people, let the people protect themselves and stop telling the people how bad guns in a law abiding citizens hands is.

By the way, the second amendment is not just about protecting yourself but others around you as well.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer19876.00
SakhirM49994.00

01-26-2017, 06:19 AM   #13
Greyfox
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 295k+

It is truly sad that these cities and counties would rather defend people who have already proved multiple times that they do not care about the laws or people of the United States of America then to keep the oath of office they took.

They deliberately ignore the crimes committed by illegal aliens against the citizens and properties of citizen of the United States of America just because they think they are saving some poor kid. Excuse me... what about the kids of US citizens that are forced to live in fear because of illegal aliens who promote drugs and gangs?

It is so sad that all this is because some politicians think that they are lord and master over some feudal land and that the general populace must conform to their will and wish instead of understanding that they are duty bound to uphold the oath of office they swore.
Appreciate 2
bbbbmw2379.00
SakhirM49994.00

01-26-2017, 08:29 AM   #14
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI me ,19 x3 M40 wife

I am not totally sure about the underlying reason for the cut of federal funding (not sarcasm I'm not sure) but isn't the issue that the cities or states are not obeying the law on immigration or some immigration policy, sanctuary cities they call them. If that is in fact the case I would cut all funding to all of those programs until they come into compliance. Prior to any monies withdrawn, I would identify what would be cut and I would mandate a ballot question for those states or cities who are not in compliance something like OK you can be a Sanctuary City if you like but you must, on your own through supplemental tax, cover the costs of all the federally funded monies you will loose, lets see how many people want to be taxed for their opinion. I would vote No several times if I could. I pay enough taxes federal income, state income, property tax, sales tax, gas tax tolls. Play by the rules or get out.

Edit second thought, first idea a good one, states are already breaking federal law by vote, can't wait till I get a trip to Colorado and buy some weed

Last edited by TomD335xicoupe; 01-26-2017 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
SakhirM49994.00

01-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #15
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

How about:

DON'T VIOLATE FEDERAL LAW BY BEING A SANCTUARY CITY.

DON'T PUT THE CITIZENS OF YOUR CITY AT RISK BY RELEASING ILLEGALS INTO SOCIETY.

The Feds can (and do) withhold federal road funding from cities that have smog levels that are too high, to force them into smog reduction.

The Feds can (and do) withhold money from schools that don't comply with Michelle Obama's nasty lunch program. And those that don't follow federal curriculum guidelines. Or transgender bathrooms.

And some are outraged that federal funds may be withheld from Sanctuary cities?
larryn2026.50

01-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #16
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
It is truly sad that these cities and counties would rather defend people who have already proved multiple times that they do not care about the laws or people of the United States of America....

They deliberately ignore the crimes committed by illegal aliens against the citizens and properties of citizen of the United States of America just because they think they are saving some poor kid. Excuse me... what about the kids of US citizens that are forced to live in fear because of illegal aliens who promote drugs and gangs?
HA.... Are you for real??!? I cant even begin to explain how wrong and ignorant this statement is in so many levels. In fact, I won't cuz its just not worth my time.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #17
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
It is truly sad that these cities and counties would rather defend people who have already proved multiple times that they do not care about the laws or people of the United States of America then to keep the oath of office they took.

It is so sad that all this is because some politicians think that they are lord and master over some feudal land and that the general populace must conform to their will and wish instead of understanding that they are duty bound to uphold the oath of office they swore.
How can I become an illegal immigrant so that I too can commit crimes without worry of being prosecuted? Sounds like a pretty good gig.

Are your kids scared of illegal aliens whom all promote drugs and gangs?
Appreciate 1
MKSixer19876.00

01-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #18
Greyfox
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wow... the trolls are seriously thick today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
How can I become an illegal immigrant so that I too can commit crimes without worry of being prosecuted? Sounds like a pretty good gig.

Are your kids scared of illegal aliens whom all promote drugs and gangs?
I don't know... why don't you go down and talk to the leaders of the cesspool NoVA and ask them.

My kids? Nope... they were taught how to defend themselves legally a long time ago. But my kids don't live in inner cities or communities who claim to be sanctuary for illegal aliens.

Actually, the county I live in put members of MS13 in jail last year and the judge made sure that they all knew that his district was not going to tolerate any type of gang bent on doing illegal things. He gave every single one of them the maximum sentence for every single charge to be served consecutively.

We have not had a any gang related violence since then.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer19876.00
larryn2026.50

01-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #19
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow... the trolls are seriously thick today.

I don't know... why don't you go down and talk to the leaders of the cesspool NoVA and ask them.

My kids? Nope... they were taught how to defend themselves legally a long time ago. But my kids don't live in inner cities or communities who claim to be sanctuary for illegal aliens.

Actually, the county I live in put members of MS13 in jail last year and the judge made sure that they all knew that his district was not going to tolerate any type of gang bent on doing illegal things. He gave every single one of them the maximum sentence for every single charge to be served consecutively.

We have not had a any gang related violence since then.
That's good. Around here we let them do whatever they want because we don't care to punish illegal immigrants.

I'm quite jealous of them. I want to be an illegal so I can do things like run red lights and make a right turn on red when I'm not supposed to so I can get around faster.

If you find out how I can do that, please let me know. I may even park in handicapped spaces.

What county do you live in? If it's Albemarle County, the local PD dept is asking for more funding to combat imaginary gang violence, http://www.nbc29.com/story/31651449/...-gang-activity
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #20
Greyfox
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
That's good. Around here we let them do whatever they want because we don't care to punish illegal immigrants.

I'm quite jealous of them. I want to be an illegal so I can do things like run red lights and make a right turn on red when I'm not supposed to so I can get around faster.

If you find out how I can do that, please let me know. I may even park in handicapped spaces.

What county do you live in? If it's Albemarle County, the local PD dept is asking for more funding to combat imaginary gang violence, http://www.nbc29.com/story/31651449/...-gang-activity
Like I said, go talk to your duly elected officials and ask them. I expect you will get the typical bullshit answer from the leaders of the cesspool.

Actually, the gang violence is increasing in all the counties down US29 now that it is one of the major drug corridors on the East coast. It's a turf war at this point. It bled out of NoVA straight down US29 all the way to Greensboro, NC. Been happening since the mid 2000's....

The gangs keep trying to do the same thing to I-81 because they spread out from Rockingham County where they have a serious foothold. But the surrounding counties aren't playing games anymore and the citizens are fully behind any and all steps the LEO's have to take.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 10:24 AM   #21
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Silver 135 DCT

Quote:
For Oakland, here's a list of cuts. Tell me again that Trump's agenda benefits all Americans?

So the people of Oakland have a choice.....uphold and comply with the law, or lose funding. Easy choice.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2017, 10:25 AM   #22
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The gangs keep trying to do the same thing to I-81 because they spread out from Rockingham County where they have a serious foothold.
Time for the Mennonites to arm themselves and fight back!

Surprised they don't just stay around here. They can sell all the illegal drugs and kill whoever they want without fear of LEO's getting on them.

Seems silly to try to commit crimes anywhere else.
Appreciate 0