BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Life lock

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-28-2020, 04:50 PM   #1
upstatedoc
pew pew
upstatedoc's Avatar
3762
Rep
2,008
Posts

Drives: blue streak
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: not downstate

iTrader: (2)

Life lock

Anyone have the service? I've had a couple credit cards hacked in the past. But I'm becoming increasingly paranoid. I do have a freeze on the credit bureau's. Does anyone think it's worth it? Looks like service ranges from 10 bucks to 25 bucks a month depending on what they are monitoring.
__________________
2018 Stinger GT
1997 Toyota T100
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 05:09 PM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
9086
Rep
8,041
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

After a family member who lived with us opened some credit accounts and tried to take out a second on MY house, I got it. It's about $150/year/each for wife and I. I get an email every once in a while and check things out. Random phone numbers get attached to my credit reports, and then I remove them.

Although I have to say my credit/bank are much more reactive to issues, at least with the cards. It's been quite a while since I bought 2 surfboards, some camera gear, and a hotel in Hawaii, and I can't remember the last time I bought surplus army ammunition, a hotel, and a safari in Africa.
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc3762.00

      01-28-2020, 05:28 PM   #3
m630
Captain
m630's Avatar
560
Rep
870
Posts

Drives: '19 X2 M35i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: nyc/li

iTrader: (0)

I have Identity Force, it had the better overall service imo.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
dreamingat30fps
Major
United_States
868
Rep
1,211
Posts

Drives: 2014 C7, 2017 F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (1)

Never used it, but isn't that the company where the CEO would list his social on the commercials? Then he got his identity stolen...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 07:01 PM   #5
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1771
Rep
4,640
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Identity theft services don't have the ability to help protect you FROM identity theft.
These services can only help you after your theft had occurred and they offer help in cancelling or straightening out problems which can be time consuming.

If you want to prevent identity theft then that is basically up to you.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2020, 07:08 PM   #6
kscarrol
Brigadier General
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
2596
Rep
3,179
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Identity theft services don't have the ability to help protect you FROM identity theft.
These services can only help you after your theft had occurred and they offer help in cancelling or straightening out problems which can be time consuming.

If you want to prevent identity theft then that is basically up to you.
This is true but we have Life Lock and they notified me, asking if I had applied for a new credit card... NOPE. Quickly closed the account and put a freeze on all the credit services. That is your best defense! You will need to unfreeze if you ever need new credit (car loan, credit card etc) but then put the freeze back on.
__________________
2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg.
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475

Last edited by kscarrol; 01-28-2020 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 3
scostu1186.50
RickFLM44451.50

      01-28-2020, 07:15 PM   #7
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
DETRoadster's Avatar
6540
Rep
2,869
Posts

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

I just froze the F out of my credit. All 4 bureaus. It's been that way since 2017. I recently unfroze it to apply for credit though my bank and it took maybe an hour to walk through all the bureaus sites to unfreeze. Mostly because my login had expired on one and I lost my password on another. The unfreeze was pretty simple and you can even specify a date to have the freeze resume automatically.

I apply for credit for something about every 5 years so for me, this was the best solution. No messing around with paying a service to monitor and report activity; I just shut down all activity. Seems next to bulletproof.
Appreciate 3
scostu1186.50
kscarrol2596.00

      01-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #8
scostu
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1187
Rep
1,847
Posts

Drives: 2016 F25
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Space Coast Florida......aka NASA

iTrader: (0)

I have had LIFELOCK for over a decade....... saved my ass 5 yrs ago when my info was stolen when my wife became an Independent contractor and we had to go through OBAMACare for healthcare.

All my info was stolen after I made contact with an ObamaCare rep. It took several weeks but LIFELOCK resolved everything! And cleaned up all my accounts.

LIFELOCK was professional and very responsive to my email/ phone calls.
__________________
Wife's ride....2016 Dodge WD R/T

Retired:2014 F31, 2013 Audi Q5 3.0T P+,
2013 WK2..Hemi, 2011 E90, 2008 E70, 2004 E46
Appreciate 3
      01-28-2020, 07:34 PM   #9
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
RickFLM4's Avatar
United_States
4452
Rep
3,869
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: PB County, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I just froze the F out of my credit. All 4 bureaus. It's been that way since 2017. I recently unfroze it to apply for credit though my bank and it took maybe an hour to walk through all the bureaus sites to unfreeze. Mostly because my login had expired on one and I lost my password on another. The unfreeze was pretty simple and you can even specify a date to have the freeze resume automatically.

I apply for credit for something about every 5 years so for me, this was the best solution. No messing around with paying a service to monitor and report activity; I just shut down all activity. Seems next to bulletproof.
What is the 4th credit bureau aside from Equifax, Transunion and Experian?
__________________
Current: 2018 SO/SS F83 ZCP
Gone: 2015 SO/SO F82
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 07:43 PM   #10
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
DETRoadster's Avatar
6540
Rep
2,869
Posts

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
What is the 4th credit bureau aside from Equifax, Transunion and Experian?
Innovis. I had never heard of them but then I read a "what to do" article on consumer reports after the big Equifax breach in 2017 and they recommended locking those 4 down.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM44451.50

      01-28-2020, 07:50 PM   #11
kscarrol
Brigadier General
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
2596
Rep
3,179
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Hmm... never heard of Innovis. Need to add that to my list!
__________________
2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg.
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #12
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
RickFLM4's Avatar
United_States
4452
Rep
3,869
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: PB County, FL

iTrader: (0)

Never heard of it either. Guess I will look into it.
__________________
Current: 2018 SO/SS F83 ZCP
Gone: 2015 SO/SO F82
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:46 PM   #13
NemesisX
Captain
220
Rep
899
Posts

Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

I think it's a complete waste of money.

I've had my credit card hacked maybe 3 times in my life and I've never been responsible for a dime. Credit card companies have always reimbursed me. I've never had any major hits on my credit score.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 09:22 PM   #14
pennsiveguy
Captain
pennsiveguy's Avatar
United_States
2827
Rep
910
Posts

Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scostu View Post
I have had LIFELOCK for over a decade....... saved my ass 5 yrs ago when my info was stolen when my wife became an Independent contractor and we had to go through OBAMACare for healthcare.

All my info was stolen after I made contact with an ObamaCare rep. It took several weeks but LIFELOCK resolved everything! And cleaned up all my accounts.

LIFELOCK was professional and very responsive to my email/ phone calls.
Thanks Obama!
__________________
2017 F15 xDrive50i M Sport | Superformance GT40 Roush 511 IR FE | 2006 Ford GT
Appreciate 1
scostu1186.50

      01-28-2020, 09:29 PM   #15
kscarrol
Brigadier General
kscarrol's Avatar
United_States
2596
Rep
3,179
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
I think it's a complete waste of money.

I've had my credit card hacked maybe 3 times in my life and I've never been responsible for a dime. Credit card companies have always reimbursed me. I've never had any major hits on my credit score.
Itís one thing to find a bogus charge on your card, completely different if they open accounts with identity that you are unaware of. LifeLock or similar services monitor for that. Having said that, simply freezing your credit with all the major agencies will stop this as well I suppose.
__________________
2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg.
1974 2002tii, Inka, 5 sp manual
BMWCCA # 327475
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST