BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Poll: Where do you get your news?

View Poll Results: Where do you get your news?
CNN 49 35.00%
BBC 42 30.00%
Le Monde Diplomatique 2 1.43%
Los Angeles Times 7 5.00%
New York Times 21 15.00%
Reuters 27 19.29%
Salon.com 5 3.57%
The Washington Post 14 10.00%
Slate Magazine 4 2.86%
World Press Review 3 2.14%
Alter.Net 2 1.43%
Wall Street Journal 28 20.00%
Barron's 4 2.86%
Al Jazeera 10 7.14%
Truthout 3 2.14%
The Nation 3 2.14%
Free Speech TV 2 1.43%
Project Censored 2 1.43%
Media Matters 2 1.43%
The Daily Howler 2 1.43%
Adbusters 2 1.43%
Center for Media and Democracy's PR Watch 2 1.43%
Fox News 57 40.71%
MSNBC 14 10.00%
Local News 23 16.43%
NPR 19 13.57%
PBS News Hour 8 5.71%
Institute for Public Accuracy 2 1.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #89
MYovichZ4
Private First Class
MYovichZ4's Avatar
United_States
78
Rep
179
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Roadster
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Western Burbs of Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
No Huffington Post option? hmm..
And what about the Onion?

It even says it's the "finest news source" in the title and it's on the internet, so it must be true.
__________________

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster / Silver Grey
BMW CCA 492691
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #90
bbbbmw
Major General
2379
Rep
6,083
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (0)

After last night's elections I flipped around on NBC, CBS, and ABC. Virtually no mention of the election, results, etc. I actually suffered through 1:15 of Good Morning America. The only mention of the election was to announce that Clay Aiken lost, but there's a new reality show coming about his campaign.
__________________
<OO (llll)(llll) OO>
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #91
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
761
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
After last night's elections I flipped around on NBC, CBS, and ABC. Virtually no mention of the election, results, etc. I actually suffered through 1:15 of Good Morning America. The only mention of the election was to announce that Clay Aiken lost, but there's a new reality show coming about his campaign.
Wow! If there were any fact that I had even less need to know than the one in red, it's the one in blue.

All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 08:07 PM   #92
clovissimo
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 325xi sedan 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Kaukauna, WI

iTrader: (0)

I try not to stick to one news site in order to get additional info.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 05:06 AM   #93
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
949
Rep
1,614
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 E90
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovissimo View Post
I try not to stick to one news site in order to get additional info.
+1

What is most shocking to us old farts is that in the "old days" you couldn't go on TV and say something that wasn't fact checked or risk ridicule when it was disclosed that it wasn't factual. Now anyone can say anything...true or not and then have their "handlers" repeat it over and over again so that the uninitiated who haven't a clue, believe it because they heard several people say it...
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2015, 06:11 PM   #94
Lowflight
Captain
Lowflight's Avatar
United_States
320
Rep
735
Posts

Drives: 2012 E93 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Memphis TN

iTrader: (2)

Fox

Because....

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 09:00 AM   #95
SoCal235
Private First Class
42
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: M235
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Oh Fox News, the PR wing of the republican party. "Keeping citizens ill-informed and in fear for 18 years, just the way to GOP likes it"

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...im-city-claims
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2015, 02:52 PM   #96
cowpunk
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta GA

iTrader: (0)

I hate to admit it, but I prefer to watch Fox News

I am a native Southerner...I can't look away, I can't stop, I can't help myself.

I really try to watch other new programs, but within a few minutes I am thinking WTH is this crap...I just can't do it.

I am a Libertarian...If you can afford to feed a belt-fed MG42...well knock yourself out!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #97
bosstones
Major
460
Rep
1,321
Posts

Drives: o_0
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Suburbia

iTrader: (0)

Fox but it really isn't hard to filter out most of the slant or avoid particular shows/personnel.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 12:29 AM   #98
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
761
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpunk View Post
I hate to admit it, but I prefer to watch Fox News ...I can't look away, I can't stop, I can't help myself.

I really try to watch other new programs, but within a few minutes I am thinking WTH is this crap...I just can't do it.

...
You may for your own sake just want to force yourself to watch something besides or in addition to Fox News.
About the only thing that seems good about Fox News is that it's not MSNBC. LOL (http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffberc...hannel-by-far/)

Unrelated to Fox:
I often enough hear the term "intelligent news." News is nothing but facts presented coherently and comprehensively. How intelligent does one need to be to handle that? Indeed, news itself is neither intelligent nor dumb. It's just information, facts.

I mean really...is one going to contend that college educated, sometimes even folks with advanced degrees, people are incapable of witnessing an event and accurately sharing with others what they observed? Can such people not collect information and not simply say, "I/we spoke to "so and so" and read "such and such" documents and found X, Y and Z."? One doesn't have to be particularly intelligent to do that.

What does require some brains is making sense of it. Analysis does require intelligence. But, thank you very much, I think most folks can receive a set of facts and decide for themselves what impact it has for them. As for folks who can't (and there are some), well, how intelligent their "news" is should not be their concern. How intelligent they are is where their focus should lay, and their "action item" is to do something it.

When I turn on a news channel, I want to hear news. When I read an editorial or turn on the Sunday morning "talking heads," I want analysis and commentary. I don't mind that some news channels provide commentary, but they ought to be required to present news such that it is not mixed in with commentary and analysis. At least that way, those unintelligent folks to whom I referred above would at least know when they are hearing news and when they are not.

All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 09:42 AM   #99
bbbbmw
Major General
2379
Rep
6,083
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (0)

Interesting analysis of Jon Stewart and The Daily Show:

http://nypost.com/2015/02/15/how-jon...-a-generation/
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 09:52 AM   #100
bbbbmw
Major General
2379
Rep
6,083
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (0)

Here's an analysis of the statement at the end of the above article. Viewers of Bill O'Reilly's show are as "informed" as NPR listeners. And - Fox News viewers are more "informed" than viewers of MSNBC, CNN, and the network news outlets.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...news-are-most/
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 01:02 AM   #101
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
761
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Here's an analysis of the statement at the end of the above article. Viewers of Bill O'Reilly's show are as "informed" as NPR listeners. And - Fox News viewers are more "informed" than viewers of MSNBC, CNN, and the network news outlets.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...news-are-most/
I'm not familiar with the Baltimore Sun writer who criticized the study that found in 2010 that Fox News viewers are more misinformed than are viewers of other news shows. The article stated that he took exception with the study:
Zurawik wrote, "what you have for the definition of a respondent who is considered ‘informed’ is essentially someone who agrees with the conclusions of experts in government agencies. When specific questions in the survey are framed around facts, like who was president when a certain piece of legislation passed, you can say someone is misinformed." But that’s not the case with some of this survey’s questions.
I read the article to which you liked. It cited the following two questions from the survey:
  • Is it your impression that most economists who have studied it estimate that the stimulus has created
    (a) saved or created several million jobs,
    (b) saved or created a few jobs, or
    (c) caused job losses.
  • Is it your impression that economists who have estimated the effect of the health reform law on the federal budget deficit over the next 10 years,
    (a) more think it will not increase the deficit,
    (b) views are evenly divided, or
    (c) more think it will increase the deficit.
I don't know about you, but regardless of what one's impression is, most economists either do or don't think one of the three options offered for each question. Whether one knows which of the three options is in fact what most economists who've studied the matters in question have concluded is something one knows or doesn't know. Either way, the answer is a demonstrable fact, not a matter of opinion. It doesn't matter if the survey respondents agreed with what most economists concluded; the question merely asks what the survey taker thinks most economists have concluded.

With regard to another question, I think the analysis provided is valid.
Do you think now that the American economy is:
(a) starting to recover, or
(b) still getting worse?"
I agree that if that question was intended to query the respondents about a quantifiable reality rather than an opinion, it was indeed a very poorly phrased question. To that end, I think that question and the answers respondents provided to it should have been discarded.

Be all the flaws of the 2010 survey as they are, Fairleigh Dickenson University in 2011 and 2012 conducted a similar survey and obtained similar results.
All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #102
Dalko43
Captain
167
Rep
894
Posts

Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Holy crap! This thread is still going?
__________________
Current: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Sold: 2013 BMW 335is Coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #103
track_warrior
Captain
track_warrior's Avatar
United_States
66
Rep
731
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Merida, Yucatan

iTrader: (1)

Huffington Post
__________________
Compensating a heavy car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 01:22 PM   #104
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
9055
Rep
8,036
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

E90Post OT
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #105
cowpunk
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post


You may for your own sake just want to force yourself to watch something besides or in addition to Fox News.
About the only thing that seems good about Fox News is that it's not MSNBC. LOL (http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffberc...hannel-by-far/)

Unrelated to Fox:
I often enough hear the term "intelligent news." News is nothing but facts presented coherently and comprehensively. How intelligent does one need to be to handle that? Indeed, news itself is neither intelligent nor dumb. It's just information, facts.

I mean really...is one going to contend that college educated, sometimes even folks with advanced degrees, people are incapable of witnessing an event and accurately sharing with others what they observed? Can such people not collect information and not simply say, "I/we spoke to "so and so" and read "such and such" documents and found X, Y and Z."? One doesn't have to be particularly intelligent to do that.

What does require some brains is making sense of it. Analysis does require intelligence. But, thank you very much, I think most folks can receive a set of facts and decide for themselves what impact it has for them. As for folks who can't (and there are some), well, how intelligent their "news" is should not be their concern. How intelligent they are is where their focus should lay, and their "action item" is to do something it.

When I turn on a news channel, I want to hear news. When I read an editorial or turn on the Sunday morning "talking heads," I want analysis and commentary. I don't mind that some news channels provide commentary, but they ought to be required to present news such that it is not mixed in with commentary and analysis. At least that way, those unintelligent folks to whom I referred above would at least know when they are hearing news and when they are not.

All the best.

Gee Tony, thanks...I hope my case worker at the internment camp is as nice and helpful as you are!!!


Cowpunk
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #106
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
761
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpunk View Post
Gee Tony, thanks...I hope my case worker at the internment camp is as nice and helpful as you are!!!


Cowpunk
One can only hope...

All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 03:15 AM   #107
verbs
Captain
53
Rep
664
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zona

iTrader: (0)

The fact that Faux News is number one is both scary and sad.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 05:27 AM   #108
Acertx
Enlisted Member
United_States
3
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Breitbart, and I cruise just about every major source there is depending on my level of boredom. Smaller blogs are Thisainthell which is fantastic for busting military phonies, theconversativetreehouse since it is excellent at doing research, and duffel blog is great for humor.

CNN is a joke, Al-Jazeera is HUGE Muslim propaganda, MSNBC is HUGE liberal propaganda, and Fox News is middle of the road as far as bias. I find it funny that people consider Fox News biased, because they obviously didn't read it from the beginning since it has done a massive run to the left compared to when it started.

Dailymail.co.uk is also good for showing pictures that the MSM tries to coverup. They are pretty left leaning though being from the UK.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #109
javarithms
First Lieutenant
javarithms's Avatar
United_States
133
Rep
344
Posts

Drives: '13 E92 M3 SG FR, '03 530i
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

The Daily Show with John Stewart and Real Time with Bill Maher
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 09:32 AM   #110
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
1460
Rep
1,614
Posts

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Saint Louis

iTrader: (0)

A lot more Fox News than I think I anticipated
__________________
Present
2015 Chevrolet SS
2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST