BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion These BMW models should get the 48V electrical system in 2020

10-06-2019, 01:57 AM   #23
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by am3r1ka View Post
Highly doubt it sold well here. In person I've probably only seen 2. The GT sits in an odd place amongst the competitors in the US.
The only direct competitor I can think of is the discontinued R-class.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 02:15 PM   #24
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
The question I have is what sacrifice in storage/utility do I need to make to accommodate this system? Where is the 48v battery going? What storage space is going to be used to hold this battery? Storage space is very, very important to me.
So the 48V battery is integrated inside those extra large grills, so no additional storage needed...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #25
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
This is attractive to me because my car is my office, so I idle (for heating or cooling) much much more than the average vehicle owner. This system seemingly would allow me to heat or cool the car without idling the engine all the time.

The question I have is what sacrifice in storage/utility do I need to make to accommodate this system? Where is the 48v battery going? What storage space is going to be used to hold this battery? Storage space is very, very important to me.
That's assuming a few things:

1) BMW fits an electric A/C compressor in the car. Not all mild hybrids have electric compressors so would still need the engine to spin for it to work.

2) Mild hybrid batteries are by design very small. Much smaller than a full hybrid. I doubt they'd have enough capacity to power a car's A/C for more than a few minutes.

3) There'd have to be an electric water pump for the heater to work for longer periods of time. The B58 cars are going back to mechanical pumps with only an aux turbo pump that is electric.

Because of these limitations, you're unlikely to really see any compromise in storage. The starter/generator/booster motor is an integral unit that replaces the current engine starter and alternator. The battery is also very small and you will not notice it.

What you're hoping for is a real hybrid like a 330e or something like that. Those have large enough batteries to actually run an electric A/C compressor for long periods of time. Though, I'm not sure if BMW uses electric accessories, they do exist in Mercedes and Toyotas. Cars like the Prius can run the A/C for long periods of time with the engine off.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      10-07-2019, 08:08 PM   #26
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

It replaces the alternator? Hmm. What will the reliability/cost be for the 48V years down the line?
Appreciate 0