BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum First impressions of my new Z4 M40i

05-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #67
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKarl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
The HK in the M235 is pretty weak. Hard to believe it could get worse other than by the fact that the z4 is a convertible which has obviously a worse acoustic.
Yes, it is not really fair to expect good sound production with the roof down. However, with the roof up it does not sound anywhere as good as my two other BMW's that had the HK sound system fitted. Hoping that it will improve through time. Only got 900 miles on the clock so far.
Finally got to 600 miles and the only problem I'm having with this beast is that it won't stay below 75. Want a monster and it begs for more. I really have to be careful because this car gets to 90 in a heartbeat. Oh and like I posted many weeks ago I am Loving the hell out of this car.

Yep.... we bad. "Z" on friends.
Lol... got the exact same problem. It's so effortless and easy ... even not exceeding the 4K RPM is hard because I am craving the sound...

The speed limit warning is annoying as heck but probably the only thing between sleeping at home or in jail, so it stays on for time being
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 01:49 AM   #68
i8_2018
Private
Rep
Drives: Macan Turbo + i8 Roadster

Thank you for your first impressions, please post again when you have driven more

Regarding the HK, after changing the settings it had the best sound I have heard in this class (2-seater). With default settings it was rather poor so I urge you all to order the HK and play with the settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 02:07 AM   #69
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8_2018 View Post
Thank you for your first impressions, please post again when you have driven more

Regarding the HK, after changing the settings it had the best sound I have heard in this class (2-seater). With default settings it was rather poor so I urge you all to order the HK and play with the settings.
Thanks. I will give that a try.
Appreciate 1
i8_201821.00
      05-29-2019, 06:39 AM   #70
tmehanna
Private
Rep
Drives: 528i f10

Quote:

Maybe you can share your settings with us. A photo should do
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #71
i8_2018
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmehanna View Post
Maybe you can share your settings with us. A photo should do
I have only driven a friends car and a demo car so I dont have the settings Im afraid. I was very impressed by the sound but ofc YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 04:28 AM   #72
i8_2018
Private
Rep

Try:
Logic 7 surround ON: lowest setting
Fader: 2 steps towards B
Equalizer: flat except 2nd bar 2 steps up, last bar 2 steps up, second last bar 1 step up.
Appreciate 4
CeEl477.50
Jim S385.00
      06-15-2019, 06:01 AM   #73
Jim S
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Try:
Equalizer: flat except 2nd bar 2 steps up, last bar 2 steps up, second last bar 1 step up.
Tried out your suggested settings.... much improved. Adjusted slightly as follows:-
All of the regular settings for Treble, Bass, Balance and Fader set neutral (ie in the middle).
Logic 7 surround ON
Equalizer: flat except second bar 2 steps up, third bar 1 step up, second last bar 2 steps up and third last bar 1 step up.
Please note that the first and last bars on the equalizer are for Bass and Treble and I left these at the neutral position.

These settings are working well, for me anyway, and very much improved from the original flat settings.
Appreciate 1
i8_201821.00
      07-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #74
str86diesel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Alpine White

Quote:
However, I feel that the Harman/Kardon sound system in this car is not nearly as good as it was in two other previous BMW’s that I owned. It just lacks detail, struggles to achieve decent volume and lacks overall presence.
]
I definitely have to agree with this. I have had the Harman Kardon setup in all of my BMW's and I really am disappointed with the system in my new car. It really lacks sound quality and base. I have tried tuning it, but it just sounds terribly bad and is lacking in every way. I sure hope that soon there are aftermarket upgrades/replacements for this system as I am not sure how long I can live with it.
      07-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #75
aastretch64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I really wanted to love this car, but it just lacked enthusiasm and emotion to me.

My M4 lease is up next year and I think the timing is wrong to hop into the redesigned one, so I thought I could do a 24 month lease in the Z4 M40i to bide my time.

On paper, it is supposed to be just as quick as the M4, but in practice it just didn't feel ANYTHING like it. I obviously didn't expect a transitional model to feel exactly like a true m-division car, but overall to me, it felt a little too effortless and lack luster. The shifts were fast, but had no umph. The accelerator pedal went down, but I didn't feel the pressure of the speed. The steering is nice, but it didn't feel as planted and confident as I thought a lightweight roadster would feel. The car is beautiful and it drives well, but I think M cars have ruined me! I really thought this would have been 90% of the of the way to the M4.

I felt the same way when I bought my wife's X3 M40i. I see the speedometer moving quickly, but my body doesn't feel like anything is happening at all.

Beautiful looking ride though!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 04:54 PM   #76
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aastretch64 View Post
I really wanted to love this car, but it just lacked enthusiasm and emotion to me.

My M4 lease is up next year and I think the timing is wrong to hop into the redesigned one, so I thought I could do a 24 month lease in the Z4 M40i to bide my time.

On paper, it is supposed to be just as quick as the M4, but in practice it just didn't feel ANYTHING like it. I obviously didn't expect a transitional model to feel exactly like a true m-division car, but overall to me, it felt a little too effortless and lack luster. The shifts were fast, but had no umph. The accelerator pedal went down, but I didn't feel the pressure of the speed. The steering is nice, but it didn't feel as planted and confident as I thought a lightweight roadster would feel. The car is beautiful and it drives well, but I think M cars have ruined me! I really thought this would have been 90% of the of the way to the M4.

I felt the same way when I bought my wife's X3 M40i. I see the speedometer moving quickly, but my body doesn't feel like anything is happening at all.

Beautiful looking ride though!
Just goes to show you that everyone is different; I test drove an M4 cabriolet before buying my Jaguar F type and thought it was nice but not all that exciting. Traded the F type for the Z4 M40i a month ago and couldn't be happier so far. I knew the BMW wouldn't have the sheer power of my Jaguar (neither does the M4) but I was pleasantly surprized as it was quicker than I thought it would be and the handling/steering/braking are excellent.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 11:40 PM   #77
aastretch64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Just goes to show you that everyone is different; I test drove an M4 cabriolet before buying my Jaguar F type and thought it was nice but not all that exciting. Traded the F type for the Z4 M40i a month ago and couldn't be happier so far. I knew the BMW wouldn't have the sheer power of my Jaguar (neither does the M4) but I was pleasantly surprized as it was quicker than I thought it would be and the handling/steering/braking are excellent.

Cheers,
Dave
I've got the M4 coupe competition package. Traction off, the thing is ridiculously fast. But for me the most engaging part is the head thrashing DCT which makes the tires chirp even in 3rd and 4th gear and the M-performance exhaust I have installed. Questionable whether my neighbors like the exhaust. ;-)

I think there should have been an option for a true DCT, some quicker throttle response and better exhaust on the Z4 M40i. Especially considering that there were rumors that BMW would NOT design a Z4M.

I guess I was just confused that all the reviews I read and watched made it seem like it was one of the most engaging, fastest cars around. My expectations where too high I think.

Congrats on your purchase though. I still think it is one of the most attractive and aggressive looking roadsters on the road. So beautiful. And the new tech is amazing! Can't wait for that tech to trickle down to to the M4.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #78
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aastretch64 View Post
I've got the M4 coupe competition package. Traction off, the thing is ridiculously fast. But for me the most engaging part is the head thrashing DCT which makes the tires chirp even in 3rd and 4th gear and the M-performance exhaust I have installed. Questionable whether my neighbors like the exhaust. ;-)

I think there should have been an option for a true DCT, some quicker throttle response and better exhaust on the Z4 M40i. Especially considering that there were rumors that BMW would NOT design a Z4M.

I guess I was just confused that all the reviews I read and watched made it seem like it was one of the most engaging, fastest cars around. My expectations where too high I think.

Congrats on your purchase though. I still think it is one of the most attractive and aggressive looking roadsters on the road. So beautiful. And the new tech is amazing! Can't wait for that tech to trickle down to to the M4.
True it's all about expectations; in my case after driving the Porsche Boxster S and Mercedes SLC43AMG, the Z4 felt like a better car - far better driving dynamics than the Mercedes and more power than the Porsche. If you're comparing your modded M4 Comp to the Z4, I can see where it may not measure up in terms of outright thrust and noise....As I said my F type was far faster than both but then, I didn't really expect the Z4 to be as fast.

The F type was also ridiculously loud and obnoxious and one of the things I like about the Z4 M40i is the pleasant, yet not as obnoxious exhaust tone. The F type sounded like a machine gun going off in Sport plus with baffles open. Again, depends what you want.

On the DCT; I honestly found the ZF8 to feel pretty similar to the DCT in the Porsche only without the low speed notchiness of the DCT. Then again, I loved the ZF8 in the Jaguar too and it's been largely applauded in reviews. I think we're going to see the DCT fade away in favor of the modern autos like the ZF8. Don't know if you read this: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...f-eight-speed/

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 2
Jim S385.00
rikuF1080.50
      07-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #79
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Great write up. I must say the black repacking the cerium grey does wonders the cars looks. Congratulations!
      09-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #80
Jim S
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
One problem I experienced was a stone got trapped between one of the rear wheels brake disc and protective shield. Sounded horrendous so I headed straight to the dealer to have it checked out. No visible damage done, thank goodness. Apparently, the gap between the brake disc and shield is very small on the new Z4 and this could lead to a recurring problem on this model. My local dealer had the same thing happen to another M40i driver last week and there are only two of us at the moment. One thing I should point out is that the tyres throw up a lot of stones even on regular road surfaces. I don’t know if it is a lack of sound insulation in the wheel arches or if this is a characteristic of the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres.
Update
It turns out that the stones (rocks) problem relates to the front M Sport brakes and not the rear brakes as stated in my report. It is very difficult to tell which wheel, front or rear, the noise is coming from when you are inside the car by yourself. It happened to me on 5 separate occasions in the first 1,250 miles and it is horrible experience if the stone does not come out fairly quickly.
However, I am pleased to report that I have had no similar problems during the next 1,000 miles. It appears that after the initial stickiness of the Michelin Pilot SS tyres has worn off the problem seems to settle down. So far so good and long may that continue.
Appreciate 2
CeEl477.50
      09-24-2019, 03:08 PM   #81
ToysArs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Try:
When you say 2nd bar, do you count the 1st Bass bar and similarly do you count last treble bar?

Wish we had a picture
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 06:29 AM   #82
Jim S
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
Congratulations on your beautiful new car!

Curious, where are you getting this mpg figure from? I average 8.7L/100km over the 3+ years on my 340i which is 27mpg (I track each fill-up and do 65% hwy/35% city). Granted your vehicle is 250lb lighter than an F30 340i (rwd) & has a newer TU B58, I think it'll still be a bit difficult to achieve that 33-32 mpg unless you drive like a grandma :P
My figures are based on Imperial Gallons which are about 20% larger than US Gallons so if you multiply your figures by 1.2 you will get a true comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 09:07 PM   #83
bill0754
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

New BMW Owner

I purchased my 2020 Z4 M40i at the end of March. Traded in my 2017 Lotus Evora 400, and couldn't be happier. This is my first BMW, and after 2,700 miles, everything is still awesome! No problems, perfect paint, and tight as new. I am quite surprised at the great MPG too! I am not a light foot, and since most of my driving is in the city, I am surprised to be averaging 22 mpg.

I chose the Sapphire Black with Cognac. The black is so nice in the sun, almost like a very dark grey, and the Cerium accents look really nice too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 02:53 AM   #84
Jim S
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill0754 View Post
I purchased my 2020 Z4 M40i at the end of March. Traded in my 2017 Lotus Evora 400, and couldn't be happier. This is my first BMW, and after 2,700 miles, everything is still awesome! No problems, perfect paint, and tight as new. I am quite surprised at the great MPG too! I am not a light foot, and since most of my driving is in the city, I am surprised to be averaging 22 mpg.

I chose the Sapphire Black with Cognac. The black is so nice in the sun, almost like a very dark grey, and the Cerium accents look really nice too.
Very nice indeed. Happy motoring.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #85
Romer
BMW and Toyota Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 sDrive30i

Cognac seats was on my must have list when I was shopping. I had that in my 2011 Z4 and really liked it.

Nice vehicles to Jim (thread starter) and others who have posted
      08-09-2020, 08:42 PM   #86
bill0754
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Only thing missing on the Z4 is A/C seats. I wish that the leather was at least perforated, as it does get a bit hot in the sun. But otherwise, LOVE my Z4
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 06:31 AM   #87
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Quote:

Wow, very nice combo.

Thanks for sharing guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 06:34 AM   #88
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Quote:
Only thing missing on the Z4 is A/C seats. I wish that the leather was at least perforated, as it does get a bit hot in the sun. But otherwise, LOVE my Z4
When it comes to BMW's design and real world function I think they're over rated, marginal at best at least in my X5. They suck rather than blow and at a high speed are rather noisy. My old Lexus perf seats performed really well, very functional.
Appreciate 0