BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum G29 - Trouble / Gremlins / other Issues

07-09-2020, 03:45 AM   #265
Robsey
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Interestingly enough I left it overnight and it's fine now. Do all xdrives have this much 'personality'?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #266
unstoppable66
Rep
Drives: BMW G29

Last week I had a few minor issues "Transmission position can be changed without pressing the unlock button. If problem recurs have it checked by your service partner". Ok, thought the dealer could fix that when the track rod recall and minor oil change were done, already booked in.
However, this developed into a major Drivetrain fault "After exiting ready-to-drive state no continued driving possible. Please go to the nearest Service Partner to avoid a vehicle breakdown". I was on the way to the dealer when this came up, told them about it. All fixed they said this morning, but I got in the car, pressed the button and the same drivetrain fault came up. Back in to the shop the car went and 20 minutes later they needed to look at the problem again/look at it properly like they should have done the first time. I went home and had a call to say that the GWS unit needed replacing and the part will take 5 - 10 days. Would I like to take the car back and risk it breaking down at any minute? No, it can stay in your shop until its fixed and I will drive my hyper-reliable 20-year old Z3 until then. I wonder what a GWS unit is?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:03 AM   #267
unstoppable66
Rep
Drives: BMW G29

...gear selector switch of course. First time I have had an automatic.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #268
Johnski77
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
The engine needs to be running to carry out the 30 second button hold reset.
Ahhh OK. I'll give that a whirl before venting off to the dealer. Cheers.
Press and hold the volume button, not the idrive controller. I just reset mine as I have been getting issues with my profile.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 09:34 PM   #269
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

I had a weird issue tonight. I was out for a short drive and twice the center screen went blank and then ID7 restarted. This all happened within a span of 15 minutes.

I went out for another drive tonight and ID7 rebooted twice in the span of 3 minutes. Also, it may be normal (for night) or not, but the rearview and side mirror are going full dark even when there's no light shining from behind.

Rob

Last edited by Rob_G77; 07-11-2020 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #270
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

I dropped the Z4 off at the dealership today. The map resets are still happening and the mirrors still go completely dark at night.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 02:45 AM   #271
juju86
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Hi, I had again this morning the issue with small rubber pad which stay stuck at the top of the windshield. I was able to put it back but is there any think to do with the dealer to fix it? Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 06:01 PM   #272
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

The dealer scanned the codes on my Z4 and according to them, the navigation reset is caused by 'interference' between the system and a connected(?) device (my phone?). That is what the BMW systems tell them the code means.

So the issue isn't with the car according to BMW. I've had the car 6 months without any issue and suddenly it starts resetting out of the blue one weekend? Nothing changed on my phone or the car.

They could not test the issue with the mirrors going completely dark at night, so one of the techs is taking the car home with them tonight.

Please chime in if you've noticed any issues with the driver side mirror and rearview mirrors darkening at night when they shouldn't.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #273
AlZ4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju86 View Post
Hi, I had again this morning the issue with small rubber pad which stay stuck at the top of the windshield. I was able to put it back but is there any think to do with the dealer to fix it? Many thanks
Had mine in for the 1 year service last week. Dealer replaced both rubber pads and put some adhesive on them. Mine haven't come out since but didn't come out often either. Hoping this will fix it though.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 04:39 PM   #274
tall0n
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW 530i  [9.00]
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
Stress cracked windshield

My Z4 M40i has about 700 miles on the odometer and today while turning left in an intersection at a normal speed the windshield cracked from the passenger side to the middle.

No rocks or body damage. Just the crack.

I believe it was caused by stress. Its set to go to the dealership on Monday morning. Hopefully it will be covered under warranty.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #275
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall0n View Post
My Z4 M40i has about 700 miles on the odometer and today while turning left in an intersection at a normal speed the windshield cracked from the passenger side to the middle.

I believe it was caused by stress. Its set to go to the dealership on Monday morning. Hopefully it will be covered under warranty.
Unfortunate. Should be covered if no visible impact damage.
      08-05-2020, 03:10 PM   #276
kaifas
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw z4 m40 and m5 competition

consulta sobre tu ruido

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
I'd be interested to know how you get on. I'm also getting the creaky noise which I'm sure is moving plastic - possibly where the SOS button is or somewhere close.

Yesterday I gave the rubber seal at the top of the windscreen a good clean and that seems to have improved things a lot. I've found with other convertibles that dust on the seals leads to things moving around and that can cause all sorts of rattles and creaks.
hola como estas? has podido resolver lo del ruido del techo?
tengo el mismo problema
si te lo resolvieron y me podes contar que era avisame
muchas gracias
sds
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 03:17 PM   #277
kaifas
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw z4 m40 and m5 competition

consulta sobre tu ruido

hola como estas? tengo el mismo problema con el techo
te dijeron como solucionaron el problema?
cambiaron el plastico interno que esta sobre el parabrisas?
tambien la parte que tiene las luces en el techo?
o simplemente desarmaron y pusieron algunos aislantes?
agradezco me ayudes porque a mi no me encuentran solucion
sds
marcelo l
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 08:51 AM   #278
Candy O’s Owner
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Trouble with sound system

Thanks for these posts,very helpful. 3 months into ownership I was getting a sharp pop sound from right side speakers. And sound level would go way down. Service thinks it’s a faulty module but they don’t seem sure. Part has come in and I drop it off on Tuesday, I’ll post results. Anyone else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 09:45 PM   #279
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaifas View Post
hola como estas? tengo el mismo problema con el techo
te dijeron como solucionaron el problema?
cambiaron el plastico interno que esta sobre el parabrisas?
tambien la parte que tiene las luces en el techo?
o simplemente desarmaron y pusieron algunos aislantes?
agradezco me ayudes porque a mi no me encuentran solucion
sds
marcelo l
"Press 1 for Ingles"
Appreciate 3
kaifas0.00
IM2C2066.50
      08-14-2020, 04:31 AM   #280
blvvet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullspace View Post
The CarPlay connection is indeed unreliable. It frequently fails to connect.

My connected drive app doesn’t work at all. Not sure if it’s the car or the server. The weather app doesn’t always update properly either.

Otherwise no issues. And these are pretty minor IMO.
I replaced my elder iphone with a newest a13 one and all the wireless carplay connection problems were solved
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 05:01 PM   #281
DocWho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i, 2019 Z4 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall0n View Post

What was the verdict?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 05:06 PM   #282
tall0n
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW 530i  [9.00]
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWho View Post
What was the verdict?
There was a teeny tiny nick on the wiper arm, right where the crack was. The dealer refused to pay, and after looking at it, I have to agree.

The bill to replace was $2,010, and USAA paid $1,400, leaving me to shell out $610. I have a $500 deductible, but was told that the BMW dealership had $110 in unapproved charges which insurance wouldn't pay. USAA has been extremely good to me in the past, so I just sucked it up.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 05:50 PM   #283
DocWho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i, 2019 Z4 30i

My windshield cracked in March which I thought was a stress fracture but the dealer found a pinhead-sized nick. I was charged $2200 and Allstate covered it except for my $500 deductible.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:31 AM   #284
trivium33
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help as it seems as though a few people on this thread have experienced a similar issue.

I recently purchased a 2019 G29 Z4 20i with c. 9500 miles under the clock. Recently, I've noticed a quiet rattle/plastic crackling sound in the front dash (mainly the bottom of the windscreen), particularly when going over bumps and at random times when driving. I have an appointment scheduled with BMW later this week, and I wonder where to draw their attention to? What is most likely to be causing the noise? I've seen other people mention the rear view mirror, the pillar, the door card, the steering column, or the suspension as being the cause.

I hope BMW are able to isolate and detect the part of the car that is causing this, which is why any help, advice, or shared experience with the same or similar issue would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:40 PM   #285
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivium33 View Post
Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help as it seems as though a few people on this thread have experienced a similar issue.

I recently purchased a 2019 G29 Z4 20i with c. 9500 miles under the clock. Recently, I've noticed a quiet rattle/plastic crackling sound in the front dash (mainly the bottom of the windscreen), particularly when going over bumps and at random times when driving. I have an appointment scheduled with BMW later this week, and I wonder where to draw their attention to? What is most likely to be causing the noise? I've seen other people mention the rear view mirror, the pillar, the door card, the steering column, or the suspension as being the cause.

I hope BMW are able to isolate and detect the part of the car that is causing this, which is why any help, advice, or shared experience with the same or similar issue would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks
I've only got one rattle at the moment which seems to stop if I press on the cowling above the instrument panel. It's a bit annoying but I can't be arsed to take it back in at the moment as I'm only using the car about once a week.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #286
Flying Clog
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivium33 View Post
Hi everyone,

Many thanks
Occasionally get a creaking / plastic rattle and manage to isolate it to the drivers side sun visor rattling on the plastic of the windscreen surround. Fixed it with a sticky backed small black foam pad.
Appreciate 0