BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Firearms

06-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #4159
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
This is why I carry one. I'm a smaller guy and the 1911 frame along with the single action trigger pull is what works best for me.

I've tried several other guns but I am so much more accurate and comfortable with a 1911 frame that I continue to carry it, despite it's limitations.

For me - accuracy > number of rounds in magazine.

YMMV
Do you carry a full size or a compact/officer model?
Mine is a full size kimber custom ii but ive been considering picking up an ultra carry
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 06:50 PM   #4160
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
If you dont mind spending a bit, I'd recommend Peltors (we use them on deployments), or walkers. If you ever plan on shooting rifles, definitely get a low-profile version.

I'd also recommend getting one with sound Amplification. For eye pro, make sure they're ANSI rated. We usually use Oakleys if were being fancy, or Wiley X if were being cheap.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Any suggestions on some good inside eye pro? for inside gun ranges?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 10:25 PM   #4161
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
If you dont mind spending a bit, I'd recommend Peltors (we use them on deployments), or walkers. If you ever plan on shooting rifles, definitely get a low-profile version.

I'd also recommend getting one with sound Amplification. For eye pro, make sure they're ANSI rated. We usually use Oakleys if were being fancy, or Wiley X if were being cheap.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Any suggestions on some good inside eye pro? for inside gun ranges?
Eye pro and ear pro should be good for both. Doesn't have to be ansi rated, but I'd highly recommend so. What's your budget for ear and eye pro? You can PM me if you prefer.
      06-23-2020, 07:26 AM   #4162
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
Do you carry a full size or a compact/officer model?
Mine is a full size kimber custom ii but ive been considering picking up an ultra carry
I carry a Sig Sauer Ultra Compact 45. I didn't want a full length barrel because it's ridiculously long on someone short like me, but all the normal compact guns have a shortened frame and grip and my pinky falls off the bottom.

This gun has a full size frame but only a 3.3" barrel. Works perfect for me. I personally dislike Kimber as a carry weapon, because I feel the tolerances are too tight and because of this, they occasionally stovepipe. Not often, but enough that I have lost confidence in it as a self defense weapon versus a target or competition gun.

06-23-2020, 07:40 AM   #4163
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

I took my father in law to the range Saturday for fathers day. As a little treat I took my Series 70 Gold Cup National Match for him to try. I cleaned it later that night and did a little photo shoot before putting it back in the safe.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr
Appreciate 8
      06-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #4164
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I carry a Sig Sauer Ultra Compact 45. I didn't want a full length barrel because it's ridiculously long on someone short like me, but all the normal compact guns have a shortened frame and grip and my pinky falls off the bottom.

This gun has a full size frame but only a 3.3" barrel. Works perfect for me. I personally dislike Kimber as a carry weapon, because I feel the tolerances are too tight and because of this, they occasionally stovepipe. Not often, but enough that I have lost confidence in it as a self defense weapon versus a target or competition gun.

Ive got a few thousand rounds through my kimber without any sort of issue. I feel confident in it as a carry gun. Ill check it out though. My biggest issue with carrying my 1911 is its uncomfortable when driving
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2020, 10:17 AM   #4165
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Ive got a few thousand rounds through my kimber without any sort of issue. I feel confident in it as a carry gun. Ill check it out though. My biggest issue with carrying my 1911 is its uncomfortable when driving
Mine goes with the holster between the seat and center console when driving.

Stovepipe issue is well documented with Kimber - especially when not used a ton. Many people still feel confident with the gun, and that is fine - not criticizing your choice, just saying why it isn't for me.
      06-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #4166
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Mine goes with the holster between the seat and center console when driving.

Stovepipe issue is well documented with Kimber - especially when not used a ton. Many people still feel confident with the gun, and that is fine - not criticizing your choice, just saying why it isn't for me.
Depends for me. I do that sometimes but not if i have passengers in the car and it usually goes in the passenger seat not in between.

N thats the first ive heard of stovepipe issue on kimbers. Ive heard the ftf but thats usually mag related and not really an issue with the factory mags anymore since they started including the kimpro mags. (I use wilson combat anyway)
If its prevalent in guns that are rarely shot. I wonder if it is more limp wristing than the guns tight tolerances. Otherwise id imagine other guns such as les bauer and dan wesson would have the same issues given theyre hand fitted

Also no offense taken thats a valid reason to be skeptical. However just stating mine has had no issues haha
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 12:15 PM   #4167
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

My daily concealed carry - G19 gen 5 in a Tier 1 Concealed AGIS holster.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #4168
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe

Question: Do you guys carry all the time? Like is it second nature as would grabbing your wallet or phone would be? I think I'd feel a bit weird carrying to go grab some wings or something. And I do understand that anything can happen, anywhere, but just curious as to when a situation would warrant a no carry day.
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2020, 12:38 PM   #4169
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post
Question: Do you guys carry all the time? Like is it second nature as would grabbing your wallet or phone would be? I think I'd feel a bit weird carrying to go grab some wings or something. And I do understand that anything can happen, anywhere, but just curious as to when a situation would warrant a no carry day.
Basically every time I leave the house. I don’t bring it with me if I am out running in my neighborhood though. It is against the law to carry and drink any amount, so if I go out to dinner I have to decide if I want to carry or have a glass of wine.
Appreciate 3
      06-23-2020, 01:17 PM   #4170
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25-X

Quote:
It's impossible (nor should you try) to rationalize the thoughts or actions of irrational persons.... at any level.

Things they do don't make logical sense... So we carry... for a variety of reasons... One of the most popular reasons - an added level of self defense of yourself or others in response to perceived threats or actions of irrational persons.

BUT - - - IMHO - - - Not carrying when you have the ability and equipment to.... is the same exact thing as sending your fire extinguisher out of the house down the street to your neighbor's house, and shut off your water when you decide you want to bar-b-que in your back yard.... (even if only to fire it up a short time to roast some weiners).

I believe anyone comfortable carrying, and with the ability and equipment... should carry... at ALL times when it is legal to do so.
(IF you're not comfortable carrying... that's a whole different conversation!)

If we knew WHEN trouble was going to strike... well... we wouldn't need to worry about much of anything.
YMMV
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2020, 01:32 PM   #4171
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

Quote:
I carry at all times, wallet, watch, knife, keys, gun, and phone. Its just part of my EDC. In Georgia you can even carry in bars but I don't if I am going to drink.
Appreciate 3
      06-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #4172
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
It pisses me off but as a NJ resident I have to prove a "justifiable need" to the state to use this particular civil right; and it's nearly impossible to show enough need... so I can't carry. However I think of it like your cell phone. I don't have my phone with me absolutely 100% of the time, but nearly that much. Pistol would be the same.
      06-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #4173
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
It pisses me off but as a NJ resident I have to prove a "justifiable need" to the state to use this particular civil right; so I can't carry. However I think of it like your cell phone. I don't have my phone with me absolutely 100% of the time, but nearly that much. Pistol would be the same.
MD's the same. It's almost impossible to get one. On a similar note, MD is so ridiculous that no one actually get approve to own a "regulated firearm" in MD. You get "NOT DISAPPROVED".
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #4174
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep

Carry all the time unless its illegal(bars, work, government buildings) but yeah its pretty much 2nd nature and i also keep a 6shot snubnose locked in my truck just in case i forget or anything like that
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 03:33 PM   #4175
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I have recently returned to Nashville after fifteen years in the Atlanta area and the a small town an hour east of Atlanta. I was surprised to hear that you can have a firearm in your car because they consider your vehicle to be an extension of your home. I've only owned pistols for two years on account of some neighborhood activity back in Georgia and don't feel the need to carry. But crime in the small town I lived in for five years is minuscule compared to Nashville. Current events tells me that this may change and you've got to be prepared for just about anything.
      06-23-2020, 07:43 PM   #4176
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
i also keep a 6shot snubnose locked in my truck just in case i forget or anything like that
Truck guns are a very bad idea, and a good way to get guns in the hands of criminals.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 07:04 AM   #4177
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Truck guns are a very bad idea, and a good way to get guns in the hands of criminals.
Thats why it is locked away and i dont live in the city where its common for your car to get broken into. If i go into the city it gets taken out otherwise crimes like breaking into someones car is extremely rare wheew i live
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:24 AM   #4178
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Depends for me. I do that sometimes but not if i have passengers in the car and it usually goes in the passenger seat not in between.

N thats the first ive heard of stovepipe issue on kimbers. Ive heard the ftf but thats usually mag related and not really an issue with the factory mags anymore since they started including the kimpro mags. (I use wilson combat anyway)
If its prevalent in guns that are rarely shot. I wonder if it is more limp wristing than the guns tight tolerances. Otherwise id imagine other guns such as les bauer and dan wesson would have the same issues given theyre hand fitted

Also no offense taken thats a valid reason to be skeptical. However just stating mine has had no issues haha
Been lazy this am and haven't kept up with this thread until I saw the stove pipe mention. Never had a Kimber but remember to keep those recoil springs fresh...BREAK THEM IN...but new ones usually fix this issue and double feeds.

Oh, and mag springs too!!!

Last edited by Killed by Death; 06-24-2020 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:24 AM   #4179
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Thats why it is locked away and i dont live in the city where its common for your car to get broken into. If i go into the city it gets taken out otherwise crimes like breaking into someones car is extremely rare wheew i live
And again, that's how firearms get into the hands of criminals. No matter how rare, it happens. Guns stolen from cars (whether locked up or not, rare or not), is a big way for criminals to get firearms.
      06-24-2020, 07:28 AM   #4180
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

You know where else they can get guns anywhere they commit a crime to get it. I'm not responsible to change criminals behavior. Banks shouldn't have money because that's how it gets stolen in the first place, blame the victim of a crime.
Appreciate 2
Smgs1992720.00