BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Z4 E89 Belt Replacement

07-20-2021, 05:07 PM   #1
efrankenfield
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Z4 E89 Belt Replacement

I have a 2011 Z4 Sdrive 35IS and the tension bearings failed causing the plastic belt guide to snap and caused the belt to fall off.

Replacing the tensioner seem pretty straight forward as long as I have the correct bits, but I'm not sure how to access the all the pulleys to install the belt. Can anyone provide a diagram and possibly provide the steps? It seems it might be easier to pull the fan and take the bottom cover off in order to install the belts, but I'm not sure if that is the correct approach. Any input would b e greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 09:36 PM   #2
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40i G29  [10.00]
I think you’ll get a much better response if you repost this in the E89 forum. This forum is focused on the G29.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 07:47 AM   #3
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by efrankenfield View Post
I have a 2011 Z4 Sdrive 35IS and the tension bearings failed causing the plastic belt guide to snap and caused the belt to fall off.

Replacing the tensioner seem pretty straight forward as long as I have the correct bits, but I'm not sure how to access the all the pulleys to install the belt. Can anyone provide a diagram and possibly provide the steps? It seems it might be easier to pull the fan and take the bottom cover off in order to install the belts, but I'm not sure if that is the correct approach. Any input would b e greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
On my 2002 M Roadster I take off under body panels to chance the belts, but I don't need to remove the fan.

There should be a diagram of how the belt goes on somewhere under the hood. But you may want to check with the E89 forum as Kwajtrader suggests just to be sure.
Appreciate 0