BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum 2022 Build for My Car

07-26-2021, 06:33 PM   #1
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2022 Build for My Car

Just noticed the Configurator on BMW's website now shows the model year as 2022. I rebuilt my 2021 G29 to see what changed and found that my car would cost $425 more in a 2022 iteration. Not a big price increase for the 2022 model and it would include remote start which I opted to exclude from my 2021 build.

The Executive package is no more with just two packages - Convenience and Premium. The Harman Kardon system is now a separate $875 option. I would guess that's due to difficulty in providing it and making it easy to identify the car's cost with or without the better sound system.

All in all, not much happening with the model. It will be interesting to watch what happens to a dying automobile already slated for elimination. Will the only change for 2023 be the model year? Will there be a true M version released sometime before that demise to generate renewed interest and create an instant collectible?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 08:00 PM   #2
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geradeaus View Post
Just noticed the Configurator on BMW's website now shows the model year as 2022. I rebuilt my 2021 G29 to see what changed and found that my car would cost $425 more in a 2022 iteration. Not a big price increase for the 2022 model and it would include remote start which I opted to exclude from my 2021 build.

The Executive package is no more with just two packages - Convenience and Premium. The Harman Kardon system is now a separate $875 option. I would guess that's due to difficulty in providing it and making it easy to identify the car's cost with or without the better sound system.

All in all, not much happening with the model. It will be interesting to watch what happens to a dying automobile already slated for elimination. Will the only change for 2023 be the model year? Will there be a true M version released sometime before that demise to generate renewed interest and create an instant collectible?
I know another deletion off the 2022 is the wireless charging and wifi. As far as the model close goes, I forsee a HP bump to 410 with a Z4M as the limited closeout. It may be a competition model as well. That is assuming there will not be another 3 year hiatus.
Appreciate 1
Geradeaus376.50
      07-26-2021, 09:07 PM   #3
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40i G29  [10.00]
Quote:

My build is now $1000 more and as TAZ notes no wireless charging or WI-FI hotspot, so less for more. It also looks like self parking is no longer offered. I’m glad I bought when I did.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 06:44 AM   #4
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Yeah my build is about $1000 more too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 03:29 PM   #5
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwajtrader View Post
My build is now $1000 more and as TAZ notes no wireless charging or WI-FI hotspot, so less for more. It also looks like self parking is no longer offered. I’m glad I bought when I did.
Interesting. What options resulted in the $1,000 bump?

I never re-upped the hotspot so no loss there. I have mixed feelings on the wireless charging. It's convenient to get a little extra juice for the effort of dropping it in the tray, but I think it's frying my iPhone. I've had the phone shut down twice - once controlled and one just a frozen screen. It's almost always very hot when I take it out.

I think I'll look at the fuses and see if I can disable it. I'd be happy to just plug in to the power outlet in the tray area and have access to my music and telephone services without having to run Apple Carplay.

Auto parking is a joke. By the time the car has figured out if a spot is available I've located one and pulled in. I do like the auto backup feature though. I use it all the time when backing down long driveways.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #6
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I never re-upped the hotspot so no loss there. I have mixed feelings on the wireless charging. It's convenient to get a little extra juice for the effort of dropping it in the tray, but I think it's frying my iPhone. I've had the phone shut down twice - once controlled and one just a frozen screen. It's almost always very hot when I take it out.

I think I'll look at the fuses and see if I can disable it. I'd be happy to just plug in to the power outlet in the tray area and have access to my music and telephone services without having to run Apple Carplay.

Auto parking is a joke. By the time the car has figured out if a spot is available I've located one and pulled in. I do like the auto backup feature though. I use it all the time when backing down long driveways.
The wireless charger definitely makes my phone incredibly hot. Can't say I'm a fan of that. Because of it, its shut down a few times as well and I've lost navigation. I do admit that ... it's not a huge thing, but it looks and feels a little cleaner without wires. However, the trade off is not that great if it keeps making the phone get into them high temps.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 04:57 PM   #7
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Homey don't need some fancy wireless charger. Homey use car's USB port if too stupid or lazy to charge at home.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 05:56 PM   #8
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixitt View Post
Homey don't need some fancy wireless charger. Homey use car's USB port if too stupid or lazy to charge at home.
lol phone charges all day when i'm at home at work, HOWEVER.. it does happen from time to time where i'm low because I've been out all day.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 07:30 PM   #9
Kwajtrader
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40i G29  [10.00]
Quote:

I stand corrected, it is just $525 more. I configured the car with the same options I have in my car today minus the WI-FI hotspot and wireless charging.

I’ve experience the overheating issue with the wireless charging bay, so I bought a 5v micro axial fan and I’m going to design a fitted case that will plug into the USB port and blow air across the top of the phone and see if that solves the problem. If it does I’ll add a temp control to have it turn on and off as needed and add an output USB port so it can be removable but permanent. I’ll post more info if it works.
Attached Images

Last edited by Kwajtrader; 07-27-2021 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 07:53 PM   #10
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

My 2020 G29 sDrive30i is $275 cheaper as a 2022, and no longer includes the following for the "savings"!

Active Driving Assistant
Wireless Charging
WiFi Hotspot
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 08:11 PM   #11
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Compared to the 2021 I should collect on Saturday, the 2022 is $400 more with less items as discussed. It does seem like the 2021 is the better bargain.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 08:21 AM   #12
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

I just placed my order last Saturday (Z4 M40i).

No production number yet.

I was told that the deletion of the charger and WIFI hotspot was caused by the chip shortage and the 2022 model may be getting them back when (if?) the chip shortage is resolved. No idea if this is true or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 08:51 AM   #13
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
I just placed my order last Saturday (Z4 M40i).

No production number yet.

I was told that the deletion of the charger and WIFI hotspot was caused by the chip shortage and the 2022 model may be getting them back when (if?) the chip shortage is resolved. No idea if this is true or not.
Good news is that your build won’t get stuck waiting for the chips. The bad news is that if it was something you were hoping to get…. It’s a bit of a bummer. I’ll say that I do like the wireless charger, but it makes my phone want to explode. Gets really hot.

There are a few of us that have posed our build times to help you establish a timeline and manage expectations.

Mine:
https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5#post27624175

Kwajtrader and TAZ007:
https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1822738
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:07 AM   #14
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the links. They will help me a lot.

I was lucky to get an allocation which the dealer had already submitted. They were able to change the details to make it what I wanted. I'm hoping this will get me a production number quicker.

Back in 2013 I was able to track my 435i across the pond and through the Panama Canal. Even got a photo of the ship going through one of the locks.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:18 AM   #15
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the links. They will help me a lot.

I was lucky to get an allocation which the dealer had already submitted. They were able to change the details to make it what I wanted. I'm hoping this will get me a production number quicker.

Back in 2013 I was able to track my 435i across the pond and through the Panama Canal. Even got a photo of the ship going through one of the locks.
That's real cool. I'm in Texas so no Panama Canal there, nor did I get any photos of the ship. Dealer was good enough to get me some pics of my car arriving on the truck and a video being offloaded though. Watching the ship cross the pond was a little hard and made me more impatient watching it, but I'm glad I did.

Hope that your ride can get to you as fast as possible. I think of all the folks in here that ordered theirs around the same time, only one is still waiting for his. Which is a shit show all in itself.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:19 AM   #16
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

I keep two cables for charging different Android phones in our bimmers. One terminates with the "newer" USB-C plug and the other with the old USB-A. Easy peasy.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #17
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
That's real cool. I'm in Texas so no Panama Canal there, nor did I get any photos of the ship. Dealer was good enough to get me some pics of my car arriving on the truck and a video being offloaded though. Watching the ship cross the pond was a little hard and made me more impatient watching it, but I'm glad I did.

Hope that your ride can get to you as fast as possible. I think of all the folks in here that ordered theirs around the same time, only one is still waiting for his. Which is a shit show all in itself.
Do you do the Texas Spring drive through the hill country? I have been doing it for years. I think it has turn into a memorial drive for Fred who started it.

Having to wait for passage through the canal is really frustrating. After I followed the ship across the Atlantic and seeing it arrive at the canal and getting excited because it was getting closer, it stopped at the entrance to the canal and didn't get to start through the canal for almost two week.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #18
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you do the Texas Spring drive through the hill country? I have been doing it for years. I think it has turn into a memorial drive for Fred who started it.

Having to wait for passage through the canal is really frustrating. After I followed the ship across the Atlantic and seeing it arrive at the canal and getting excited because it was getting closer, it stopped at the entrance to the canal and didn't get to start through the canal for almost two week.
No, I haven't heard of that drive, but it certainly sounds like it would be great. I'll have to look it up? Or do you have some info sites to share on it?

As far as the canal.. holy.. moly... 2 weeks? That sucks. It's already a 2 week trip to GET there... oof.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 12:37 PM   #19
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
No, I haven't heard of that drive, but it certainly sounds like it would be great. I'll have to look it up? Or do you have some info sites to share on it?

As far as the canal.. holy.. moly... 2 weeks? That sucks. It's already a 2 week trip to GET there... oof.
Here is a link to their 2020 drive which didn't happen because of COVID. Just keep an eye on the site and it should be updated as the next drive gets organized.

http://anachargreta.com/Z3/index.html
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #20
Horseman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here is a link to their 2020 drive which didn't happen because of COVID. Just keep an eye on the site and it should be updated as the next drive gets organized.

http://anachargreta.com/Z3/index.html
OUTSTANDING! That's actually pretty close to where I am. I'm in San Antonio. Stops a pretty good distance away, but seems like it could be alot of fun.

Doubt I'll be able to make it this year though. Fall time frame is really tough for me right now due to an upcoming move. I plan on pretty much the rest of this year being nothing but stress. So, I'll try and hit up the next one in Spring.

Last edited by Horseman; 08-03-2021 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0