BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Battery question

07-11-2023, 02:57 PM   #1
Joeshin87
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Battery question

Hey guys. I have a 2022 Z4 M40i and I forgot to disconnect the negative terminal and proceeded to loosening the bolt on the positive terminal like an idiot (I was half awake). Needless to say, I closed the circuit and large sparks started flying but no smoking or sizzling. I the disconnected the negative terminal and retightened the bolt on the positive, reconnected the negative and checked if my car starts which it did. Initially I got a driver assistance restricted message which then went away after driving the car a bit. Since then I didn’t get any other error messages. Should I be concerned about a possible short somewhere or am I good?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 08:12 PM   #2
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
You should be OK. I wouldn't expect any shorts. The bigger risk is damaging the electronics, such as the IBS. To be safe, I'd scan to see if there are any lingering fault codes. If you don't have a scanner, AutoZone or most other auto parts stores will do it for free.
      07-12-2023, 04:30 AM   #3
Joeshin87
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
You should be OK. I wouldn't expect any shorts. The bigger risk is damaging the electronics, such as the IBS. To be safe, I'd scan to see if there are any lingering fault codes. If you don't have a scanner, AutoZone or most other auto parts stores will do it for free.
I have a system scanner from a brand called autophix which I used to scan my system. Only faults it picked up were minor things like low voltage which is due to me not driving the car so I’m guessing the IBS is fine. Going to get it scanned at autozone anyway just to be safe.
Appreciate 0