BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography in the market for an SLR. need recommendations

11-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #23
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
I agree. That's why I didn't recommend the 7D to him yet. I see too many people shooting with a 7D or 5DMKII, and their photos come out worse than a $200 point-and-shoot.
Or leave them in Auto.
      11-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #24
mad_max
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Or leave them in Auto.
Beats the whole point of paying big bucks for those extra manual controls don't you think?

For OP - I'de suggest getting an entry level DSLR from Canon or Nikon (you can't go wrong with either).
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #25
BMW2006
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Coupe

I bought a T2I this year and for the most part I am very pleased with it. I used the kit lens for a week and then ordered a nifty fifty and also a Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM from amazon for my general purpose / walkabout lens.

after a few thousand shots I have ended up with some mixed results, I've taken some shots that I love, many that I don't like as much, and some that are just plain bad.

I'm also a novice so I'm sure there are a lot of images that I could have taken better if I were composing the shots now rather then just after I purchased it and are no fault of the equipment I'm using. Overall I'm very happy with my purchase as an amateur who was looking to get their feet wet without emptying their wallet. I would recommend going to amazon and taking a look at the sample pictures people will attach to the product to get a feel for what a body/lens is capable of. Also most lenses and bodies have Flikr groups which do about the same. I would look over a few hundred images of each before buying anything.

The video from the T2i I haven't had a chance to mess with too much yet. For some reason the files end up being absolutely HUGE. I think a 3 minute video was over 1gb. I tried taking it at a slower frame rate and resolution, but it had little effect. I'm sure there is a way to fix this I just haven't tried it out. Also, no auto-focus. Not that it's a huge deal but it's not a replacement for a HD camcorder in my opinion.

-BMW2006
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #26
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1 View Post
...You can even skip the zooms and get a nifty fifty for $100 to start with......it's a sharp lens for the money. it will be a nice portrait lens for a crop body...
I wouldn't skip the zoom, particularly for a noob. Learning to crop the subject with the zoom is really useful for advanced and beginner photography. When you realize that the best RAW conversion softwares now correct for geometric errors that used to plague zooms, there's no real loss in quality.

Dave
      11-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #27
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

OP, if you have any passion at all for photography and you feel like you will get into it, I am of the opinion that you should get the best camera you can afford and shoot the hell out of it. I originally wanted the 5D2, but I got the 50D to save a few bucks. Later I killed the 50D and got the 5. The difference is astounding, and I wouldn't go back. I WOULD add a second crop body to the arsenal though. Just my thoughts. Get good equipment and you will be happy. Plus, you will never be able to use your crappy camera as an excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #28
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
OP, if you have any passion at all for photography and you feel like you will get into it, I am of the opinion that you should get the best camera you can afford and shoot the hell out of it. I originally wanted the 5D2, but I got the 50D to save a few bucks. Later I killed the 50D and got the 5. The difference is astounding, and I wouldn't go back. I WOULD add a second crop body to the arsenal though. Just my thoughts. Get good equipment and you will be happy. Plus, you will never be able to use your crappy camera as an excuse.
This is what I've always recommended as well. On the one hand, it's typically a better move to get a starter camera because many don't know if they're gonna get into photography or not. On the other, if you think/know you're gonna like it as a hobby then buy the best camera you can afford (maybe even used). You should get a camera you can grow into, not one that you can easily outgrow.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #29
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
This is what I've always recommended as well. On the one hand, it's typically a better move to get a starter camera because many don't know if they're gonna get into photography or not. On the other, if you think/know you're gonna like it as a hobby then buy the best camera you can afford (maybe even used). You should get a camera you can grow into, not one that you can easily outgrow.
Agreed. And, you can expect a better return on an nicer rig if you decide to sell it.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #30
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Agreed. And, you can expect a better return on an nicer rig if you decide to sell it.
I'm not sure that's true about camera bodies. They depreciate fast and it can get worse if something "special" comes out subsequent to your purchase. OTOH, L-series lenses do hold their value very well. Buying a lightly used L-series lens you could expect to recover 90% after one or two-years of use. Buying new you'll only lose around 20%.

Dave
      11-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #31
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Good point. I was also thinking lenses.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 08:03 AM   #32
mad_max
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
OTOH, L-series lenses do hold their value very well. Buying a lightly used L-series lens you could expect to recover 90% after one or two-years of use.

Dave
True, the L- lenses are a good investment. They keep going up in price. I recently parted with a 100-400L for the price I paid for it 2 years back.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #33
E90PAT
SOFLO CODING
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: Z4M

im like 80 percent on getting the t2i

ive done a considerable amount of research since i first started researching. To who have recommended getting a good lesnse first, i think im actually going do that.

any good places to get em cheap?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #34
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Search slickdeals.net. Sometimes they have amazing deals on cameras. Lenses, on the other hand, are hard to come by. Once in a while you can get a decent deal but lenses hold their values well so they don't drop in prices much.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #35
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

do not get the kit lens that comes with the t2i. if you have the choice, buy the body, then buy a decent lens. Yes it will cost a few $ more, but you will get your money's worth out of the pictures.

I had a kit lens with my old t1i, and i trashed about half of my pictures. I get anoyed at this because i couldn't retake any of them as i was on a road trip and wouldn't be back that way, so i bought a better mid level lens. After getting the better lens, i was keeping probably 80+ images i captured.

Yes good equipment makes a big difference, but take the time to learn it.

also, putting an L series lens on a lower end camera body only exposes the weaknesses of the body and makes you want to upgrade sooner then later. So if you plan to keep it around for a while, stick with mid level lenses, many of them are almost as good as the L series stuff, but with less build quality like weather resistance in order to keep the price point down. like you keep hearing about people saying the "nifty fifty" if you keep the person within a short distance you can get some inc readable shots with it.

I personally would make the jump from the t2i (if that's what you're considering) to the 60D for an extra 200, it has some great features. but, as you haven't told anyone your budget, it's hard to make recomendations.

All i can say for you is in the Canon lineup don't go for anything below a t2i, if you're looking for cheaper then the t2i, (this is my opinion) Nikon makes nicer and more vivid shooting entry level cameras.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #36
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Late for Black Friday, but if you're still in the market you can't go wrong with either of these.

Others have already mentioned the Canon T2i which I endorse. I shoot the Canon 1D Mk iii and the 5D Mk ii with L glass.

Nikon D3000 kit. Great starter for anything.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3000/

Canon option would be the Rebel T2i.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ra-Review.aspx

My Website: http://chasvs391.zenfolio.com/
Appreciate 0