BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Ford Mustang pathetic 2 stars at Euro NCAP Crash Test.

01-25-2017, 07:04 PM   #1
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Ford Mustang pathetic 2 stars at Euro NCAP Crash Test.

This says it all about the myth of European cars imported to the US needing to beef up their safety equipment to meet US standards...

The same car that earned top safety rating in the US: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ty-rating.html

... scored poorly with 2 stars in the European NCAP test:
http://jalopnik.com/the-ford-mustang...pea-1791620670
      01-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

To be fair, partially because of lack of safety gear like lane keep and active cruise control that's a available on US spec Mustangs.

I'd guess Ford kept content low to keep pricing competitive for EU cars. Not quite the big deal it sounds like on paper.

Now about both passengers striking the dash after the airbags deflated...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 09:05 PM   #3
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Nanny's are not the answer for bad drivers
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread
To be fair, partially because of lack of safety gear like lane keep and active cruise control that's a available on US spec Mustangs.

I'd guess Ford kept content low to keep pricing competitive for EU cars. Not quite the big deal it sounds like on paper.

Now about both passengers striking the dash after the airbags deflated...
The major issue IMO is not the lane daparure or automated braking system but the failed protection, therefore injuries, of both passengers and driver because of the underinflation of both front airbags!
      01-25-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh
Nanny's are not the answer for bad drivers
Well, sometimes you get into an accident you can't do anything about. In this case you better have a safe car than not...
      01-25-2017, 09:29 PM   #6
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Well, sometimes you get into an accident you can't do anything about. In this case you better have a safe car than not...
I agree.

Nanny's are there to help prevent accidents not to completely stop them.

My parents have been on my ass for looking at my phone while stopped at red lights. It is a terrible habit and I have almost gotten into trouble a few times already recently because I am still looking at my phone while starting to go from a red light.

Nanny's cannot stop your mistakes as a driver. I'm trying very hard to curb this bad habit of mine.
      01-25-2017, 09:39 PM   #7
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
I agree.

Nanny's are there to help prevent accidents not to completely stop them.

My parents have been on my ass for looking at my phone while stopped at red lights. It is a terrible habit and I have almost gotten into trouble a few times already recently because I am still looking at my phone while starting to go from a red light.

Nanny's cannot stop your mistakes as a driver. I'm trying very hard to curb this bad habit of mine.
If you or anyone else lacks the self control to put the phone down and pay attention to driving then no nanny is going to make up for your failure to be responsible

Nanny's are not a solution....they are an excuse

Last edited by jpnh; 01-25-2017 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      01-25-2017, 09:50 PM   #8
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
If you lack the self control to put the phone down and pay attention to driving then no nanny is going to make up for your failure to be responsible

Nanny's are not a solution....they are an excuse
What I really meant is that if you are a good driver and look far ahead and anticipate, you usually get out of accident situations. What you can't avoid, for example someone running a red light and T-boning you, it's best to have a safe car than not. In this case, the Mustang would not offer the same protection as a 3 series which received 5 stars...
      01-25-2017, 09:54 PM   #9
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

All the safety tech in the world will not stop accidents. Because its always human error. Case in point, look at airplane mishaps. Human error is top on the list for plane mishaps and look at all the tech they have.

People really get complacent because they think that the car will do whatever it is for them. You want a safe car? Just make it do this in an accident:

Either way, I watched a video for a Mustang (2016 model I think) the NHTSA recently tested and it didn't do well at all. America does there own regulations because we think we know best. Like with the 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO, the Aussie version had the fuel tank under the car under the trunk area. NHTSA said that wasn't good so they put it in the trunk and added a brace because that is better.......
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 09:55 PM   #10
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What I really meant is that if you are a good driver and look far ahead and anticipate, you usually get out of accident situations. What you can't avoid, for example someone running a red light and T-boning you, it's best to have a safe car than not. In this case, the Mustang would not offer the same protection as a 3 series which received 5 stars...
Of COURSE an attentive driver can and regularly DOES avoid an incident where some douche runs a red light

Its called looking right and left before entering an intersection

No nanny is going to mitigate that lack of attention.

The safest car is one with a driver thats actually paying attention

I have driven over 500k in the last 10 years with zero incidents......more than several close calls that were avoided by paying attention.

There are lots of folks with lots more annual miles than me with no issues....because of the driver....not the nanny

Nanny is no substitute for an attentive driver

Last edited by jpnh; 01-25-2017 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 10:27 PM   #11
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
Of COURSE an attentive driver can and regularly DOES avoid an incident where some douche runs a red light

Its called looking right and left before entering an intersection

No nanny is going to mitigate that lack of attention.

The safest car is one with a driver thats actually paying attention

I have driven over 500k in the last 10 years with zero incidents......more than several close calls that were avoided by paying attention.

There are lots of folks with lots more annual miles than me with no issues....because of the driver....not the nanny

Nanny is no substitute for an attentive driver
I do all of that and haven't had an accident since my teens. But since my daily is an older car, I sometimes wonder what would happen to me if I get run into at higher speed...
      01-25-2017, 11:34 PM   #12
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Not too uncommon for cars to be "built" to pass certain tests. For example, the 2016 BMW 5-Series only could achieve a "Marginal" rating in the American IIHS small overlap crash test. The 2016 Mustang beats it with an "Accepatable" rating.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 12:39 AM   #13
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Kind of disappointing for a relatively big and heavy car. Where's all the weight going?
Appreciate 1
kprocivic812.50
      01-26-2017, 03:05 AM   #14
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Haters are gonna hate.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #15
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I do all of that and haven't had an accident since my teens. But since my daily is an older car, I sometimes wonder what would happen to me if I get run into at higher speed...
The laws of physics dictate that you might get hurt or killed

If you're DD is one that doesnt get good crash ratings and/or doesnt have multiple air bags then maybe you should consider making an effort to get into a vehicle that performs better when in an accident

In the meantime, no electronic nanny is going to keep you out of an accident where someone runs a red light and t-bones you

In fact all the nannies lend folks a false sense of safety

People pay LESS attention behind the wheel now than they did 15 years ago in my observation
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 09:40 AM   #16
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

You won't see any mention of that in Road & Track or Car & Driver. Mustang always wins!
Well...occasionally Chevy.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 09:54 AM   #17
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh
Quote:
The laws of physics dictate that you might get hurt or killed

If you're DD is one that doesnt get good crash ratings and/or doesnt have multiple air bags then maybe you should consider making an effort to get into a vehicle that performs better when in an accident

In the meantime, no electronic nanny is going to keep you out of an accident where someone runs a red light and t-bones you

In fact all the nannies lend folks a false sense of safety

People pay LESS attention behind the wheel now than they did 15 years ago in my observation
I drive defensively and try to anticipate reactions of drivers around me, but it doesn't mean slowly... I do look at intersections at red lights and even when emergency braking look at the car behind me so I can avoid it if needed... I have been lucky so far so knock on wood ;-) I drive an older car by choice.
      01-26-2017, 10:44 AM   #18
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
This says it all about the myth of European cars imported to the US needing to beef up their safety equipment to meet US standards...
It's true in some case. Such as the Smart car and why it never came with a manual in the US. The clutch pedal intruded so severely into the driver's footwell it couldn't pass US crash standards.

Also a rumor/theory as to why the new Alfa Giulia isn't in the US with a manual after they said repeatedly it would.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #19
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
It's true in some case. Such as the Smart car and why it never came with a manual in the US. The clutch pedal intruded so severely into the driver's footwell it couldn't pass US crash standards.

Also a rumor/theory as to why the new Alfa Giulia isn't in the US with a manual after they said repeatedly it would.
Thats interesting

Hadnt considered the clutch pedal possibility as that much of an issue that it would cause a failure in impact testing
Appreciate 0