BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Z4 LCI - Miami Launch Event Reporting

03-05-2023, 02:22 AM   #1
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Z4 LCI - Miami Launch Event Reporting

Quote:
BMW Z4 Shares Parts with Two Generations of M3 and M4

People have always treated the Z4 a little bit differently from the rest of the BMW lineup. Early generations boasted polarizing looks, and it never readily shared much with other BMW products. Being shorter and wider than high-production models like the 3 Series and 4 Series but falling short of the motorsport theater accompanying the full-blown M products made the Z4 – and its Z3 predecessor – always a little bit of an anomaly.

Not much changed with the introduction of the G29 Z4 for the 2019 model year. Sharing production with Toyota’s Supra made fans of both brands inexplicably malevolent toward the platform. Moreover, without a true M variant, the M enthusiasts were never terribly concerned with it, opting instead for (slightly) heavier and bigger M3s and M4s. However, a recent chat with Michael Wimbeck, Project Manager for the Z4, revealed some – heretofore unknown – tidbits about the Z4’s origins and production.

Unexpected Parts-Sharing and a Unique Platform

As one might expect – or already know – the Z4 Roadster shares some parts with many different BMWs. But not in the usual ways. The Z4 is technically built on the CLAR platform, but the only thing it shares with its platform mates is the rear axle. That’s right – one component. The front axle is constructed from aluminum and is positioned differently from a traditional CLAR vehicle to accommodate where the engine sits. If you didn’t know, it sits significantly further back on the Z4 than on other CLAR vehicles. Sensibly, it sits further toward the middle of the vehicle for optimal chassis balance.

Interestingly, this is a feature that at one time was shared with the G80 and G82 M3 and M4. Unfortunately, Wimbeck explains, BMW engineers needed to ditch this aluminum axle design as plans for an all-wheel drive variant became a reality. Technically, the Z4’s axle design is not identical to the G80 and G82 – but it’s very close. It shares many components and kinematics.

But in reality, only two things are shared with the Z4 across any BMW vehicle. The seats are pulled from the 1 Series and MINI – explaining their slightly smaller proportions. Wimbeck claims that the 3 Series firewall is the only other component the Z4 shares with other BMWs. Aside from that, everything is unique to the Z4.

The Importance of Tires

Every enthusiast knows that tires are integral when it comes to squeezing every bit of performance out of a car. While sometimes manufacturers develop a vehicle alongside a tire, the man responsible for the Z4’s driving dynamics opted for an alternative. Citing ease of finding tires, cost, and suspension tuning, Wimbeck says they borrowed the tires from the outgoing M3 and M4 instead. “Exactly the Michelin Pilot Sport from the F8X M3 and M4. It made it easier for him to tune the car around these tires,” he says.

BMW Supra? Not Exactly

Finally, Wimbeck was asked about Toyota’s contribution to the Z4 project. Truthfully, with so many BMW parts – i.e., the whole car – it has been unclear exactly how Toyota helped. While Wimbeck didn’t directly answer the question, he does explain how the two vehicles targeted different benchmarks and buyers.

“At the beginning, it was a little bit difficult to figure out how to find the size of the car, the wheelbase, the center of gravity, the engine position and the package of the car. Once we found that package, the tuning of the car was done at the specification from Toyota for the Supra. We kept our own specifications for the Z4, so essentially the two cars behave differently on the road.”

Now it all makes sense. The Z4, being a roadster, was never destined for hotlapping. From the beginning, a roadster design is naturally compromised in terms of rigidity and center of gravity. Either way, it’s nice to see that BMW isn’t afraid of spending some time and money developing a rewarding-to-drive car, even when it’s in no danger of breaking Nurburgring records.

So, bang away on your keyboard, simultaneously outraged that the new Supra “isn’t a Supra” and that the Z4 is “not even an M.” I have a hunch the Z4 owners will be too busy driving to be much bothered. Because – as you now know – it’s quite a bit more unique than every other vehicle on the road. Well, except for one.
https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/03/04/b...ith-m3-and-m4/

From 2018:
Quote:
INTERVIEW: We talk BMW Z4 with its product managers

Aside from the new 3 Series, the next most controversial car to come from Bavaria recently is the new BMW Z4. The brand’s latest roadster, which made its official debut at Pebble Beach, it’s the largest departure from BMW’s roadster style in ‘Z’ history. It’s also the first, and possibly only, BMW to be developed from BMW’s partnership with Toyota. So not only is its styling radically different than anything the brand has done before but it’s been co-developed with the iconic Toyota Supra.

While at the Paris Motor Show, we were able to sit down with the product and project managers behind the new BMW Z4, Andreas Ederer and Michael Wimbeck, to discuss the newest roadster, its styling and its relationship with the Supra.

One of the main questions we had for Ederer and Wimbeck was about the ever shrinking roadster market and the Z4’s place in it.

“First of all, the roadster segment is a segment that BMW has always been active in. We do have quite a big number of customers who expect BMW to build roadsters,” said Ederer. “The other thing is, when you look at the market, there are players that will no longer bring a successor [to their current roadsters].”

He mentions the possibility of both the Audi TT Roadster and Mercedes-Benz SLK being in their last iterations. So, basically, BMW wants to be the only game in town for roadsters.

But we know what you really want to know about — the collaboration between BMW and Toyota. The two brands have had this car under production for years now and there have been countless rumors about what fruits the partnership might bear. So we got straight to it and asked both Ederer and Wimbeck about it.

While the car was mostly designed by BMW, with both cars using the same BMW-sourced engines, gearboxes and technology. However, Ederer says that Toyota brought quite a bit of its own bits for the Supra. “Toyota brought their design, interior and exterior, also their philosophy when it comes to engine mapping, suspension and so on,” he said.

A lot of enthusiasts, mainly Toyota’s, are sort of upset at the fact that both cars are so similar, sharing even basic interior bits, mostly borrowed from BMW. However, Ederer says there’s good reason for that. “You really have to make a judgement, whether it’s worth it or not, for such a little number of cars, to make a separate iDrive controller or gearshift lever.” So the answer as to why Toyota’s Supra looks so similar to the Z4 on the inside simply comes down to cost and pragmatics.

So how are the cars different?

“I haven’t driven the Toyota,” Ederer said. “But I can tell you about the Z4. When you compare it to other roadsters or even coupes, one thing that comes to mind, the Z4 for the first time is a very rigid sports car.” Convertibles typically have a bit of shimmy and shake over rough pavement, due to their inherent lack of structural rigidity compared to their coupe siblings. According to Ederer and Wimbeck, the Z4 lacks that shimmy and shake.

Another one of the big headlines surrounding the new BMW Z4 M40i was the fact that it set a faster lap time around the Nurburgring than the BMW M2, a fan favorite sports car. So we wanted to know if it was the U.S.-spec version (which is more powerful, making 382 hp compared to Europe’s 335 hp version) or not. “European-spec” said Ederer. That means the punchier U.S.-spec car will be even faster. Music to our ‘Merican ears. The exhaust is also louder here.

So is that Z4 M40i just a big engine in a small roadster, sort of like how the E89 BMW Z4 sDrive35i was, or is it a proper sports car, designed as such from the ground up?

“The car is built around the tires (bespoke rubber from Michelin). We have a completely new front axle, that is close to the M4’s, we took the kinematics from the M4,” said Wimbeck. “A lot of aluminum components, especially in the front of the car. The front axle is aluminum. With all of the weight saving measures in the front, and the engine is 70mm closer to the center of the car, we have an absolute 50/50 weight distribution. And these are the perfect genes [for a] sports car.”

While the Nurburgring lap times are great for bragging rights, Wimbeck says it wasn’t BMW’s intention to make it a track monster. Instead, the BMW Z4 team was far more focused on driver engagement and enjoyment, whether or not it put smiles on faces. The lap times are just a bonus.

So the new BMW Z4 M40i will be a proper driver’s car, not just a hot-rod version of a comfy cruiser.

“We now have the electronically-controlled differential, we have bigger brakes, we have a more rigid body structure,” said Wimbeck. “It has a lot more than its predecessor.” That rear differential will also be the same component as the one found in the BMW M340i, just with its own software mapping.

Another big question for the duo, one that tons of fans are asking, especially in the U.S., was where is the manual gearbox?

“The [sDrive]30i and [M]40i will only come with a sport automatic,” said Ederer. “The 20i will come with a manual gearbox as standard”. If you’re in Europe, don’t expect the manual until 2019, though.

We tried to urge them both to consider a manual for the BMW Z4 M40i in America, considering how height the take-rate is on the manual M2. We may have exaggerated its numbers a bit but you can’t fault our effort.

What other important bits about the Z4 we should know?

“Something very important is that we returned to the soft-top,” said Ederer. “That has various reasons; weight; center of gravity; trunk volume — that is a big advantage”. That soft top opens in ten seconds as well. “[These] modern soft-tops are so quiet, the acoustic comfort is even better than what we’ve had in the predecessors,” he continued.

So the BMW Z4 is not just some pretty roadster, designed to cruise in style. It’s designed to be a genuine driver’s car, something that enthusiasts will want to own. We can’t wait to get it on U.S. soil and sample the most powerful version.
https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/10/14/i...duct-managers/

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 03-07-2023 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 7
StanDiego6248.50
stlcdr1014.50
ebirotedu1460.00
RavenGX1077.50
      03-05-2023, 04:27 AM   #2
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  417.1 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  274.0 KB

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 03-05-2023 at 04:53 AM..
Appreciate 13
ZVier61.00
jvilla107480.00
crz4864.00
CJ4211559.00
OVERLND99181.50
ebirotedu1460.00
goat30i146.00
JustChris17487.50
UNCM2334.50
Horseman4131.50
      03-05-2023, 05:42 AM   #3
jvilla107
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 Skyscraper/Magma

Garage List
2023 BMW 430i GC  [8.00]
2023 BMW Z4  [9.94]
BMWGirlFL , Interesting article and great pictures. Where are the pictures taken?
      03-05-2023, 06:34 AM   #4
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvilla107 View Post
BMWGirlFL , Interesting article and great pictures. Where are the pictures taken?
I believe that the Ocean Breeze Tiki Bar is located in New Smyrna Beach, FL.
Appreciate 3
BMWGirlFL6287.50
UNCM2334.50
jvilla107480.00
      03-05-2023, 06:41 AM   #5
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvilla107 View Post
Professional Thundernight taken near Miami Beach. Ocean Breeze Tiki Bar - New Smyrna Beach. My impression from social media is a sort of caravan to Amelia Island for the Concours d’Elegance.

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 03-05-2023 at 06:55 AM..
Appreciate 2
UNCM2334.50
jvilla107480.00
      03-05-2023, 02:18 PM   #6
Wife'sCar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 S30i

Garage List
2023 Hyunday I5  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Thanks for the articles!

Thunderknight looks much less garish than I would have expected, but it contrasts nicely with the ivory interior.

The Z3 M coupe must be a rarity.
Appreciate 2
BMWGirlFL6287.50
jvilla107480.00
      03-05-2023, 03:16 PM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Wasn’t aware of the G8X influence.
jvilla107480.00
      03-05-2023, 03:23 PM   #8
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
LOVE my car. Better appreciating why after reading today.
Appreciate 4
UNCM2334.50
jvilla107480.00
JustChris17487.50
      03-06-2023, 08:01 AM   #9
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...-m-competition
Quote:
BMW Z3 and BMW Z4: hallmark BMW roadster feeling across four generations.

The run-up to the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance saw almost three decades of roadster history reunited. A road trip through Florida brought together a handful of BMW Z3 and BMW Z4 models from four generations. The line-up of cars selected for the tour from southern Florida to the venue for the classic car event in the north-east of the Sunshine State ranged from the BMW Z3 to the latest BMW Z4, which recently gained a fresh round of design and equipment updates.

The BMW Z3 was the first model built for the global market at BMW Group Plant Spartanburg in the US state of South Carolina. The roadster was unveiled in 1995 and made its first public appearance in the blockbuster James Bond movie GoldenEye. It remained on sale until 2002, when it was replaced by the first BMW Z4. With its eye-catching lines and cutting-edge equipment details, the Z4 put clear ground between itself and its predecessor. Seven years further on, the second-generation BMW Z4 provided a fresh interpretation of the roadster art – with its elegantly sweeping lines and, most notably, a retractable metal hardtop which could be lowered and raised again electrohydraulically at the touch of a button. The third generation of the Z4 has been putting smiles on the faces of open-top driving pleasure aficionados since 2018. Crisp proportions, a classical – and electrically powered – soft-top roof and a new level of dynamic talent set it apart from the crowd, as does the unique-in-its-segment straight-six engine of the range-topping model.
Name:  P90497134_lowRes_bmw-z4-m40i-frozen-g.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  612.9 KB
Appreciate 2
ebirotedu1460.00
UNCM2334.50
      03-06-2023, 08:24 AM   #10
Christos
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 s3.0 Msport

Lots of emphasis on tires, to paraphrase "the car is built and tuned around the tires" Michelin Pilot Sport

If one changes to a new tire brand, I wonder what affect that will have on driving dynamincs
BMWGirlFL6287.50
      03-06-2023, 09:11 AM   #11
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos View Post
Lots of emphasis on tires, to paraphrase "the car is built and tuned around the tires" Michelin Pilot Sport

If one changes to a new tire brand, I wonder what affect that will have on driving dynamincs
People have already reported that their 2023’s have been delivered with Continental tires and not the Michelin Pilot SS.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 09:23 AM   #12
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
People have already reported that their 2023’s have been delivered with Continental tires and not the Michelin Pilot SS.
Still OEM. Think article implications remain unchanged.
Appreciate 3
JustChris17487.50
UNCM2334.50
      03-07-2023, 09:36 AM   #13
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Appreciate 3
tekpro007130.00
UNCM2334.50
ebirotedu1460.00
      03-08-2023, 02:47 AM   #14
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
BMW Won't Build A Z4 M Because People Don't Want One

During a recent drive event, CarBuzz learned that there will not be an M version of the current G29 generation BMW Z4 Roadster. "There is no market for it," said Z4 Head of Project, Michael Wimbeck. "Customers said they would rather wait for an M2 Convertible." Sadly, a drop-top M2 is not in the cards either.

BMW has built M variants of the Z in the past, including the Z3 and Z4, but it did not do so for the previous E89 generation car. The German brand came close with the sDrive35is model, powered by the same N54 engine as the 1 Series M, but it never built a fully-fledged M variant. For this current car, the 382-horsepower M40i version will be the quickest one available. With a 0-60 mph time of just 3.9 seconds, it should be adequate for most drivers.

The Z4 M40i uses the same 3.0-liter turbocharged B58 inline-six engine that's found in a variety of BMW products as well as the Toyota GR Supra, which shares a platform with the Z4. Building a Z4 M would require BMW to shoehorn in the twin-turbocharged S58 engine from the M3/M4 and X3 M/X4 M. This may sound like an easy job, but there are subtle differences between the S58 engine and the B58 on which it is based, including the brakes.

The S58 includes BMW's M Integrated Braking System that uses a compact module. This allows the M models to adjust their brakes more precisely and offer two pedal feel settings. Squeezing the S58's braking system under the Z4's hood while also factoring in for cooling changes proved too much hassle for a car that already sells in low volume (just 1,567 units in 2022). Considering that a manual-equipped M3 is actually slower to 60 mph than the Z4 M40i, the additional power of the S58 likely wouldn't have drastically improved the Z4's performance.

Of course, this news likely puts a damper on the rumored Supra GRMN with the S58 engine.

Though the Z4 M is off the table, BMW says a manual transmission is currently "under consideration" for the Z4. "We helped Toyota with the Supra's manual," Wimbeck said, hinting that the same transmission could be used by BMW. For now, the facelifted convertible will only be offered with an eight-speed automatic transmission sending power to the rear wheels, as Wimbeck said "all-wheel-drive would not fit."

Among the changes for 2023, BMW decided to offer Thundernight Metallic as a paint option after it originally debuted on the 2 Series Coupe. "You have fans, and you have people who hate it," Wimbeck said of the purple hue. "But customers showed that the take rate was way higher than expected, so we thought it would fit perfectly on the Z4 because it's an extroverted color."
https://carbuzz.com/news/bmw-say-the...ket-for-a-z4-m

Appreciate 3
UNCM2334.50
stlcdr1014.50
      03-08-2023, 09:56 AM   #15
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Also:

https://jalopnik.com/2023-bmw-z4-jal...pra-1850195787