BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board moving to FL?

01-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
lesha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 - 335 coupe

Question moving to FL?

question for FL residents, if my job allows me to move and i do decided to move to FL, where would be a cool/hip place to live in FL (i'm in my 20's and coming from a place like Boston/Washington DC, i want to move to a place with warm weather, the beach, good neighborhood, close to shops/restaurants), trying to avoid too many senior citizens and move somewhere where young families live, also looking for reasonable real estate prices, where I live now $400-500K will get you an older town house and that's not really working out for me so well
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
People will tell you Miami for the young/hip club scene, but that get's old fast. Plus it's like "Little Cuba" there too. A friend of mine lives in Miami and is constantly complaining that people who work in stores there don't even KNOW English. Miami isn't the greatest place unless you can afford to REALLY live there.

Anyway, old people are everywhere in Florida, but I am very particular to St. Pete - obviously since we have a second home there. It's a small city, that can feel like a big city if you want, because Tampa is just north. Tampa has everything, Neimans, all the good shopping etc. And then south you have the outlet malls. Yes, there is a Lacoste outlet, wooo hooo!

Lots of art and culture in St. Pete, lots of little channels with water EVERYWHERE, not just along the beach. Very good beaches pretty close. Our favorite about about an hour away, although there are beaches MUCH closer. We live close to "The Pier." It's strange in downtown St. Pete, there are multi million dollar homes and then a bum sleeping right down the street. As far as raising a family, downtown St. Pete probably isn't ideal, but places like Bradenton, Sarasota etc are nice.

Anything north is probably too cold in the winter. And other places are probably too old or too much old money.

Another thing about St. Pete is it's a cool little liberal place in the midst of a republican state, so we love that aspect.

Good luck, you lucky dog!
      01-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesha View Post
question for FL residents, if my job allows me to move and i do decided to move to FL, where would be a cool/hip place to live in FL (i'm in my 20's and coming from a place like Boston/Washington DC, i want to move to a place with warm weather, the beach, good neighborhood, close to shops/restaurants), trying to avoid too many senior citizens and move somewhere where young families live, also looking for reasonable real estate prices, where I live now $400-500K will get you an older town house and that's not really working out for me so well
I would live in the Weston (Broward County) area, Pembroke Pines (Broward), or Plantation (Broward) because Fort Lauderdale Beach/Riverfront/Las Olas is right there. You can always drive down to Miami, downtown, The Grove, or South Beach. I originally lived in Lauderhill (Sunrse), and then moved to Miami to attend school at FIU. AFter 7 years of living down here I plan on moving back up to Broward.

Miami cons: traffic is horrendous, speaking Spanish is practically a must, the people are ignorant/reffy in most parts, but in general they aren't the classiest of people, and it's not the safest place.

Pros: The Grove, The Gables, South Beach, and that's about it.

If you do decide to move around Miami, go to Downtown Dadeland. It's on Kendall and US1. The buildings in front of Dadeland Mall and behind are very classy. We live in The Colonnade behind Dadeland Mall in the two giant towres. VERY SAFE. Safety was my #1 choice when I moved here; for my GF and the M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

there are old people everywhere here. you can't avoid them. they're like the plague.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
im sorry, i didnt know anyone in their twenties acutally use the words cool & hip together like that.... IMPOSTER! lol but on a real note, Aventura is the place to be. No more questions, i have just given you the answer.
      01-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I loved living in Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete

I spent some time living in Miami area - that place blows. Can be fun if you like to spike your hair, pop your collar, and fake tan though.
________
Chrysler AP3 Hearse Built by R.F.Weber (Australia) history

Last edited by stimpy; 02-04-2011 at 06:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Ender514
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

i have family in the St. Pete area. i love it there.
      01-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
there are old people everywhere here. you can't avoid them. they're like the plague.
so true.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

I have a condo down in Pompano Beach. It's a good quiet, civilized neighborhood and only about 15-20 minutes driving distance from the shops and beaches in Ft. Lauderdale and Las Olas Blvd.

Like others said, Miami is basically only good to spend the weekend there and party your ass off. Otherwise it gets old fast.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Honestly Orlando's where it's at. I'm moving there in a few months, 24 btw. Business sector's there, entertainment, college, night life, etc.....It's got it all. On the downside it's flooded with tourists and has to be like the #1 place for old men and golf.

Do not come to Sarasota. It's nice as hell, but not for someone in their 20's. Old people and snow birds everywhere, but that's pretty much FL in general this time of year. Siesta beach is about as nice as you'll ever get, but the night scene gets pretty lame. Downtown and the Key, do that for 2 years and you'll want to kill yourself.

Tampa/St. Pete would be my second choice, then maybe Ft. Laudy.
      01-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #11
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

I was born in hollywood florida.

Here is my synopsis of the Penis state.

Boca - old people live here, Boca is a clean city but it is very expensive to live. Although there are some youngens in the area, its nothing like good ole' miami or fort lauderdale.

Palm Beach - old people live here too, palm beach is very nice and very clean (stay away from riveria beach because you will get raped here). It is somewhat expensive to live here and the youngster life is all about whos daddy whos more cash. I dont suggest you live here unless you drive a Bentley, because you wont be popular if you dont.

Hollywood - my hometown, less old people, a little quieter but its the perfect spot. Close to miami, relatively close to Boca and Palm beach, 3.5 hours from Orlando. Hard rock 5 minutes from me (but it gets old). Anyway, hollywood is nice.

Fort lauderdale - Nice city especially Las Olas Blvd, lots of youngens go there to get shitfaced. But it can be LOW CLASS.

Miami - People dont speak english here, unless you insist on learning spanish or spanglish you will have a hard time. Party party party though, you will get laid in miami.

Coral Gables - a little too south for me, the people are weird there too.

Weston/Broward area - Not a bad area, sorta too quiet for me. Lots of racing goes on in broward though the farther out west you go. So if youre into that then thats the place to be.

Palm beach international raceway (formerly Moroso) is about an hour from me, I live in hollywood.

Honestly you should come visit if you REALLY want to have an idea of the places. Everyone has different tastes man.

Good luck

P.S. OH AND WATCH OUT FOR THOSE DARN CANADIANS IN THE SPEEDOS!!!
      01-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Fuck Florida.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #13
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

You can be my neighbor come to miami fl downtown brickell

As for the spanish thing i have lived here all my life i never speak spanish nor do i know how..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #14
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

I dont speak spanish at all. But there is one crucial bit of sign language you will need to know and use in miami.

The middle finger.
      01-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

LOL thats the truth i dont speak spanish but I know all the bad words
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #16
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I lived in Key Largo when I went to high school, Tallahassee for collage, then I lived in Broward County (Plantation) and worked in downtown Miami for a couple of years. My parents live near St. Pete. Of all of those areas my favorite is Broward. It's close enough to Miami to where you can easily enjoy it, but far enough to where you can escape it.

St. Pete / Sarasota gets pretty rednecky and there are so many old people there.
      01-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #17
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
St. Pete / Bradenton gets pretty rednecky and there are so many old people there.
fixed
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #18
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
St. Pete is FAR from rednecky - it's city living, scaled down a bit. Any rednecks there are permeating in from central Florida. (Or they're homeless.)

But you don't have to live in the CITY. I'm from St. Louis, but don't live in the city. There are plenty of nice upscale townships to chose from.

Just all depends on what kind of life you want to live. Me? I'd love to have all old people as my neighbors since I like quiet and hate kids!
      01-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #19
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
Just all depends on what kind of life you want to live. Me? I'd love to have all old people as my neighbors since I like quiet and hate kids!
i agree. my neighborhood (well, sarasota as a whole, really...) is predominately the geriatric majority and seasonal. it's quiet, people walking around with dogs almost non-stop, safe, and both of my immediate neighbors both don't live there permanently. most of my block is seasonal and i expect summer is going to be really quiet. i like it, plus the key i live on has a spectacular beach. canal is a plus, too.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #20
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Is it turtle beach by chance?
      01-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #21
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post

St. Pete / Sarasota gets pretty rednecky and there are so many old people there.
You've gotta be kidding.

Sarasota is swarmed with rich old people. I don't think there's a redneck or even a black person here. Head up north a bit to Palghetto and yeah, you would be right.

BTW Blake, just got back from Horsefeathers watching the game with some friends. Dead as Hell. Lol I don't know how you do it man. I'm so sick of this town. Evee's on Fridays, Beachclub on Saturdays, Urban on Thurs......that's about it. After 2 years+ of this I'm done. Btw haven't seen your badass M around at all. F*** Sarasota.
      01-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #22
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
Is it turtle beach by chance?
siesta key
Appreciate 0