BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Dog Hair - how do I get it out of my car?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
Real Dodger
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
Real Dodger's Avatar
United_States
4762
Rep
5,622
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: McKinney TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Dog Hair - how do I get it out of my car?

I love my dog, but he's a big shedder. The vaccums at the carwash don't pick it up off the carpet, neither does a lintbrush. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
__________________
"I'd buy that for a dollar"
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
usshelena725
Silent Service
usshelena725's Avatar
United_States
4544
Rep
1,621
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
I love my dog, but he's a big shedder. The vaccums at the carwash don't pick it up off the carpet, neither does a lintbrush. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Your Welcome in advance.

When I would clean my dad's van he used to transport his Border Collies around, I would use both the rubber brush and the stone. I haven't done any pet hair removals in a while, but IIRC, the stone works best on shorter fabrics (seat upholstery) and the brush works better on longer fabrics (carpets).

Here is a link to the best rubber brush I've seen. The static created by the rubber attracts the hair while you work it over the upholstery.

https://www.autogeek.net/rubber-pet-brush.html

Also, go get a pumice stone. What you are going to do is use it as a brush and it pulls the dog hair out of the fibers and gathers it into a pile. Then just go over it with your shop vac. I once spent hours vacuuming a section that had dog hair embedded in the fibers. I used a brush, packing tape etc... and nothing worked. This thing worked like a champ. Here is a link to the best one available, there are some great customer videos of it working as you scroll down:

https://www.amazon.com/Fur-Zoff-0000.../dp/B003465G9M


Finally, if you do not have a rubber brush or the pumice stone, you can put latex gloves on your hand and rub the hair towards your shop vac, which works quite well!
__________________
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Appreciate 6
      01-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #3
MGM135is
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1101
Rep
1,938
Posts

Drives: 135is #399
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

microfiber towels are grabby and help but might not always get everything. I use them for my keeshond.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
1928
Rep
7,249
Posts

Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Ushie hit this one on the head. I have cloth seats (because plaid) and keep one of those rubber toothed brushes in there, they're magic. But buy a few, the teeth break off relatively quickly.

We laugh that our Beagle's hair isn't attached to her, it just floats around her in close proximity.
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
a4nut
Private First Class
61
Rep
103
Posts

Drives: 13 135is
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: cincinnati, OH

iTrader: (0)

Duct tape
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
Alfisti
Captain
697
Rep
951
Posts

Drives: 2013 X3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I'd just lose the dog, never understood the fascination with those things. It's a baby that never grows up.
Appreciate 1
******1123.50

      01-11-2019, 12:42 PM   #7
Real Dodger
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
Real Dodger's Avatar
United_States
4762
Rep
5,622
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: McKinney TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I'd just lose the dog, never understood the fascination with those things. It's a baby that never grows up.
You deserve to be banned, and sentenced to watch 100 hours of Gilligans island!
__________________
"I'd buy that for a dollar"
Appreciate 6
      01-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #8
damageprone
Captain
322
Rep
674
Posts

Drives: '15 F80
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Casino

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
I would use both the rubber brush and the stone. I haven't done any pet hair removals in a while, but IIRC, the stone works best on shorter fabrics (seat upholstery) and the brush works better on longer fabrics (carpets).

Here is a link to the best rubber brush I've seen. The static created by the rubber attracts the hair while you work it over the upholstery.

https://www.autogeek.net/rubber-pet-brush.html

I have to agree with the rubber brush. Use it in combination with a shop vac and it'll pull up almost anything. It even got out glitter from a bunch of holiday decorations that I threw in my trunk haphazardly that I thought would be stuck in there for all of eternity.

I've also tried a latex block/sponge as well and that works okay, but I still prefer the rubber brush.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
Our03z4
Private First Class
96
Rep
116
Posts

Drives: 03 Z4 2.5
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Your Welcome in advance.

When I would clean my dad's van he used to transport his Border Collies around, I would use both the rubber brush and the stone. I haven't done any pet hair removals in a while, but IIRC, the stone works best on shorter fabrics (seat upholstery) and the brush works better on longer fabrics (carpets).

Here is a link to the best rubber brush I've seen. The static created by the rubber attracts the hair while you work it over the upholstery.

https://www.autogeek.net/rubber-pet-brush.html

Also, go get a pumice stone. What you are going to do is use it as a brush and it pulls the dog hair out of the fibers and gathers it into a pile. Then just go over it with your shop vac. I once spent hours vacuuming a section that had dog hair embedded in the fibers. I used a brush, packing tape etc... and nothing worked. This thing worked like a champ. Here is a link to the best one available, there are some great customer videos of it working as you scroll down:

https://www.amazon.com/Fur-Zoff-0000.../dp/B003465G9M


Finally, if you do not have a rubber brush or the pumice stone, you can put latex gloves on your hand and rub the hair towards your shop vac, which works quite well!


Thanks for the post! Hopefully it helps the op but I know I'm ordering both now.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #10
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
273
Rep
379
Posts

Drives: 08 335XI me ,16 X5 wife
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (1)

Yes that stone may be the answer also gonna give it a try, my longhair Dachshund sheds a little but I almost always keep her on a towel when in the car.

OP you could always build a wall around the car I hear walls work, Just Fkn with you do not want to drag this in that direction but could not resist the temptation. Hope you appreciate the comic relief now back to dogs, also want to ban above they are by far Mans best friend. Had Dachshunds for the past 30 Yrs love those little rascals.
__________________
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #11
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
1928
Rep
7,249
Posts

Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I'd just lose the dog, never understood the fascination with those things. It's a baby that never grows up.
This is so weird coming from someone who tolerates Italian cars.
Appreciate 3
      01-11-2019, 03:27 PM   #12
irishbimmer
Major
696
Rep
1,053
Posts

Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

RD; What kind of dog ya got?
Thx
Bill
__________________
"People are entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts"
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #13
Real Dodger
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
Real Dodger's Avatar
United_States
4762
Rep
5,622
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: McKinney TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbimmer View Post
RD; What kind of dog ya got?
Thx
Bill
The hound in question:
Attached Images
 
__________________
"I'd buy that for a dollar"
Appreciate 4
      01-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #14
usshelena725
Silent Service
usshelena725's Avatar
United_States
4544
Rep
1,621
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
The hound in question:
That being shown (nice BC, BTW), stick with my original recommendation. That worked extremely well for a van that was covered in dog hair from 3 very shed happy border collies (2 black and whites, and 1 red).

Worked great for me for many years.
__________________
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #15
WingZeroX5
Colonel
WingZeroX5's Avatar
United_States
550
Rep
2,158
Posts

Drives: 09 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (12)

Wet your hands and just rub them along the carpet
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:33 PM   #16
usshelena725
Silent Service
usshelena725's Avatar
United_States
4544
Rep
1,621
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbimmer View Post
RD; What kind of dog ya got?
Thx
Bill
The hound in question:
Also, here are two of my dads three border collies he had. Photo is circa 2010 or so.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 08:27 PM   #17
FatRear08
First Lieutenant
FatRear08's Avatar
299
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

I use a damp leather chamois. Works very well.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #18
rlmesq
Captain
630
Rep
939
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chico, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I'd just lose the dog, never understood the fascination with those things. It's a baby that never grows up.
You deserve to be banned, and sentenced to watch 100 hours of Gilligans island!
Gilligan's Island is too lenient. Make him watch The Brady Bunch!



Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:04 AM   #19
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
6676
Rep
20,280
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Keep them out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:54 AM   #20
Real Dodger
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
Real Dodger's Avatar
United_States
4762
Rep
5,622
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: McKinney TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I'd just lose the dog, never understood the fascination with those things. It's a baby that never grows up.
You deserve to be banned, and sentenced to watch 100 hours of Gilligans island!
Gilligan's Island is too lenient. Make him watch The Brady Bunch!



Or make him listen to 10 hours of William Shatner singing......
__________________
"I'd buy that for a dollar"
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #21
Germanauto
Colonel
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
2327
Rep
2,298
Posts

Drives: BMW, Lexus
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NW and Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Simple solution, just kill the dog.

Profit.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #22
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
17355
Rep
10,346
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Simple solution, just kill the dog.

Profit.
__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software update & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto2327.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST