BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Z4 LCI Spy Shots

06-09-2022, 01:12 PM   #45
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

I've heard/read about people driving frozen paint cars as daily drivers, so my experience may not be representative and more on the paranoid side.

There are a few other FG owners who've had their cars longer and who might chime in with their experiences....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Thanks for explaining what is needed. I never realized that the frozen paints needed so much attention.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 01:27 PM   #46
KGun
Buffalo Bills Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: (2019 X2 M35i) (2022 Z4 M40)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebirotedu View Post
Frozen paint is definitely higher maintenance. If this car were my daily driver, or I didn't have the garage space to keep it out of the elements, I'd have gone with a traditional paint application.

Things I do differently on account of having frozen paint:

- I'm extra, extra careful to park so as to avoid any kind of door dings given that repainting is the only option if the paint is damaged

- I don't leave it outside where it can collect dust or pollen (both of which stick to the paint surface and don't easy rinse off unless washed)

- I don't let it get wet if I can avoid it, to avoid water spotting and road grime sticking to it

- I'm generally wiping finger prints and bug crap off the car with a microfiber cloth & detailer spray after every drive, and pack some detailer and microfiber in a bag in the trunk for this purpose

- I bought an indoor and an outdoor car cover for the Z4, and have used them both zero times. Mostly because I don't want the covers sliding around on top of and abrading & polishing the paint. The satin indoor one is light enough that I probably shouldn't worry, and I probably will use it in the winter when I'm not taking the car out every few days. The outdoor cover is lined with microfiber, but I'm still only planning to use it very sparingly (i.e., traveling and when the car is clean) if at all. With regular paint my only concern would be insure the car was clean still had some wax protection since the last waxing before throwing the cover onto the car.

Actual washing isn't a big deal with the ceramic coating - it's not hard to clean, or dry. Washing off brake dust accumulation on the wheels & brake calipers is the most time consuming aspect of keeping the car clean, IMO.

Quote:
If someone washes the car themselves is it really that more difficult? I believe that all you have to use are products for sold for frozen type finishes.
Or you can just XPel Stealth wrap it and forget about it !!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 02:50 PM   #47
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep

Eh, not for me. No point in buying special paint just to hide it under a very expensive paint film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGun View Post
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 03:13 PM   #48
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Good point and that will add $4,000-$5,000 more to the cost.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 03:16 PM   #49
Mastakko
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW Z4 30i

Garage List
Does anyone think the suspension changes coming to the 2023 supra will also be coming to the 2023 z4? I believe they are adding in some turning tuning for low speed corners as well as updating some bushings. It was mentioned in supra manual release but stated it applies to all supras.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/future...pdate-details/
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 03:18 PM   #50
stlcdr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

There’s a frozen blue Mercedes AMG GT in the local BMW dealership. The finger prints on it looked like a 2 year old went crazy after a high caffeine and sticky juice box binge.

Still…it was gorgeous and there’s room for a small child in the trunk…
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 03:19 PM   #51
stlcdr
Captain
Rep

I’m assuming the Supra is assembled on the same line, or is that incorrect?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 03:21 PM   #52
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Eh, not for me. No point in buying special paint just to hide it under a very expensive paint film.
Xpel Stealth supposedly doesn't affect the appearance of most frozen colors The PPF will definitely help to protect the car's finish from chips, etc. As you know touching up a frozen color is not a simple task and their stealth PPF is also easy to wash.

This is from the Xpel website:

With an unique satin finish, STEALTH helps match most factory flat paint jobs and virtually disappears on most surfaces. With a finish that’s uniformly smooth, you can add STEALTH to your matte or gloss paint job for a unique satin finish.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 03:57 PM   #53
KGun
Buffalo Bills Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: (2019 X2 M35i) (2022 Z4 M40)

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
You're protecting the paint
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 04:57 PM   #54
jdhiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastakko View Post
Does anyone think the suspension changes coming to the 2023 supra will also be coming to the 2023 z4? I believe they are adding in some turning tuning for low speed corners as well as updating some bushings. It was mentioned in supra manual release but stated it applies to all supras.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/future...pdate-details/
That would be nice...

2022 X3 M40i
E46 330i ZHP, E90, E89 Z4, F30 320i "Jalopnik Edition", F80 Comp, F80 CS
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 05:45 PM   #55
stlcdr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Xpel Stealth supposedly doesn't affect the appearance of most frozen colors The PPF will definitely help to protect the car's finish from chips, etc. As you know touching up a frozen color is not a simple task and their stealth PPF is also easy to wash.

With an unique satin finish, STEALTH helps match most factory flat paint jobs and virtually disappears on most surfaces. With a finish that’s uniformly smooth, you can add STEALTH to your matte or gloss paint job for a unique satin finish.
I'm hoping to go with the Stealth for a Matte White finish...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 05:47 PM   #56
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcdr View Post
Quote:

I'm hoping to go with the Stealth for a Matte White finish...
Make sure to have your shop show you a sample piece installed on a small section of the car before you proceed.
Appreciate 1
stlcdr1014.50
      06-09-2022, 06:03 PM   #57
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep

Those who have Xpel Stealth on their frozen paint cars have attested that it does affect how the paint looks: instead of BMW's carefully crafted frozen paint effect, you get Xpel's matte/stealth finish. If you want Xpel's matte effect, you can apply it to any paint finish including any clear coat.

As with extended warranties and low insurance deductibles, the sales pitch for a paint protection film is a pretty blatant attempt to play on a new car buyer's insecurities: "You just spent a lot of money on a new car, surely you want to protect your investment against potential damage?" I've been to this rodeo plenty of times, and with one single exception any money I may have spent up front on extra coverages was a loss for me and extra profit for the seller.

I'm not saying that protective paint films are a bad idea per se - I could see myself getting one in other circumstances (i.e, I want a matte finish on a clear coat car, or the car is a priceless collectible with original paint). But given Xpel Stealth's cost, that its application changes the look of the extra-cost factory frozen paint, that it possibly leaves a nasty residue behind on the matte finish upon removal after several years, and that it doesn't protect against door dings or the kind of parking lot damage that will necessitate a respray anyway (along with another application of protective film), it seems like an expensive hedge and not worth the cost to me. Maybe you live someplace where stone chips are a chronic problem and a paint film makes good financial sense. My Shelby had zero stone chips on it at 30k miles after 5 years of ownership when I sold it, including 3 years as my daily driver. It did visit to the body shop on two occasions for things that a film wouldn't have protected against though

But hey, if anyone is losing sleep at night because your paint doesn't have a film protection, then I say spend the money because sleep is important and it's your money. Maybe I'll live to regret my decision in a few months or a year or two.

In the meantime, BMW says the paint is durable if properly taken care of, and I decided to test that claim, passing on Xpel and having the Z4 ceramic coated at delivery. If something happens to damage the paint noticeably, I'll have it resprayed. And if respraying for trivial stuff like stone impacts turns out to be a too-common thing then I'll put Xpel on the resprayed parts.

None of this is keeping me up at night. To me, it's just a car - it's going to depreciate, and wear out, and not look like a new car at some point if I keep it long enough, and I'm ok with that.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 08:40 PM   #58
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Everyone has to decide what their own needs are and what they are willing to invest for maintaining the appearance of their vehicles.

During the first 500 miles of ownership I discovered 2 highly visible chips in my front bumper. Please bear in mind that I live between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale and I only drive on local roads where the speed limit ranges between 25mph - 35 mph and some major highways like I-95, 595 and the Florida Turnpike which have a maximum speed limit of 65 mph in my area.

Once I saw those paint chips I decided to make the investment and get Xpel Ultimate Plus PPF to protect my paint finish.

Damage from paint chips wasn't my only motivation as I live in a condominium that has outdoor parking and and my spot faces southwest and is subjected to intense sunlight every afternoon plus heavy rainstorms that occur here on a frequent basis. Not only does PPF protect your car against those rock chips, nicks and small scratches but It is UV resistant and also stain resistant. I don't have to worry about road grime, acid rain stains, bird droppings, etc. on the paint any longer.

My friends have remarked that my Misano Blue color "pops" even more than before now that the PPF is installed.

I am more than pleased with my investment and do recommend it for regular metallic finishes.
Appreciate 2
ebirotedu1460.00
      06-09-2022, 10:30 PM   #59
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastakko View Post
I'm no expert, but I doubt it.

Rob
Appreciate 2
jdhiro667.00
      06-10-2022, 12:23 AM   #60
jdhiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post

Rob
It's sad to say, but any Z4 updates at this point really depend on someone at BMW deciding to take it on as a pet project. I don't think the bean counters see the value -- but this could be a real enthusiast car in the right hands. The E89 was a bad platform for a divers car, but the G29 is not.

I think the real problem is that BMW didn't build enough margin into this platform to warrant development (because they had to be able to hit Toyota prices). I don't think opinion won't appeal to everyone -- but put an S-series engine in this, true M suspension, and offer it as a luxury performance $100K+ sports car.

I hope the LCI kicks ass, because I'd love to see the Z4 go out with an epic bang before we go full EV.

PS - BMW, C'mon, have some balls, do a Z8M

2022 X3 M40i
E46 330i ZHP, E90, E89 Z4, F30 320i "Jalopnik Edition", F80 Comp, F80 CS

Last edited by jdhiro; 06-10-2022 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
ebirotedu1460.00
      06-10-2022, 12:29 AM   #61
pinky2022
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhiro View Post
It's sad to say, but any Z4 updates at this point really depend on someone at BMW deciding to take it on as a pet project. I don't think the bean counters see the value -- but this could be a real enthusiast car in the right hands. The E89 was a bad platform for a divers car, but the G29 is not.

I think the real problem is that BMW didn't build enough margin into this platform to warrant development. I don't think opinion won't appeal to everyone -- but put an S-series engine in this, true M suspension, and offer it as a luxury performance $100K+ sports car.

I hope the LCI kicks ass, because I'd love to see the Z4 go out with an epic bang before we go full EV.

I doubt they would. I think they are going to put their money and development in the new i8
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 05:34 AM   #62
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for explaining what is needed. I never realized that the frozen paints needed so much attention.
Maintaining frozen paint isn't difficult in my experience. Washing technique, save for the products you use, is no different than a normal car. You need soap like Meguiar's Gold which doesn't have wax or gloss enhancers. Same with finishing products.

The intimidating part is that there is no correction as ebirotedu noted . You can't even clay the paint. If the paint is contaminated, you must use a chemical decontaminant. I bought BMW's version. Gotta wear gloves to use it.

But no question, I wouldn't get matte paint unless I had a garage.

Sometimes I miss the shine of a normal paint. I always liked using a nice wax and making it as smooth/slick as possible. Matte paint is just ...matte. But I'd get the frozen paint again if I had to reorder a BMW. It is top quality.

Charles
      06-10-2022, 10:19 AM   #63
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post

Rob
agreed. OTOH, the benefit of Toyota using the Z4 as their new Supra has always been (for me) that they or the aftermarket would develop upgrades and goodies that wouldn't be made otherwise.

Dave
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2022, 10:22 AM   #64
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
As far as the matt paint goes; I like the look but I don't want the extra hassle if there are blemishes or repairs. I put paint protection film on all my vehicles; I think it was an extra $2k for the full hood, front end and rockers on the Z4 which was just over $100k Can taxes in......seems like a minor cost to keep it from getting damaged and looking new......have any of you priced out a paint job lately? I used to collect and restore classic cars; my last one cost $40k in paint and bodywork...

Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 11:28 AM   #65
stlcdr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Make sure to have your shop show you a sample piece installed on a small section of the car before you proceed.
yep, that’s the plan, or something like it. They do a lot of corvettes, and a few teslas, and have a proper shop. If it isn’t going to work or look right, I’ll just do a ceramic.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2022, 11:33 AM   #66
stlcdr
Captain
Rep

I’m still a month and a half away from my ‘in production’ slot, and the price is showing the 2023 price increase. The black interior trim is missing from the build sheet, too. I will quiz the dealership about it. Maybe July is the breakpoint for the 2023? We will see.
Appreciate 0