BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum BMW Z4 Concept Reportedly Headed to Pebble Beach

View Poll Results: What should BMW call it's new roadster?
Z4 6 60.00%
Z5 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

07-31-2017, 02:06 PM   #45
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
I quite like the E89 as well, just forever bitter it didn't get an M variant or 6MT on the 35is. Not putting the v8 in there was a giant missed opportunity, could've been an all-time great for the fans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I absolutely agree. In view of the criticisms that the E89's performance was soft, I think BMW really dropped the ball in not having an M version. I can't imagine that the M division's engineers weren't up to the task of designing a suitable E89M.
Absolutely agree, a missed opportunity.

I've been saying this for years and initially when the Z4 GT3 was first revealed, there was speculation that homologation would lead to a road version.
Little did we know, BMW would skirt the regulations.

So while Motorsport engineers did create one [for motorsport], in the end the bean-counters decided to keep it away from production.

Watching & hearing the V8 Z4 GT3 in action, one can't help but feel sad that we were denied what would've been a masterpiece.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 03:24 PM   #46
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Watching & hearing the V8 Z4 GT3 in action, one can't help but feel sad that we were denied what would've been a masterpiece.
BMW would never sell a GT3 style car for the road.
They did that once and that became a financial debacle.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 03:41 PM   #47
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Quote:
BMW would never sell a GT3 style car for the road.
They did that once and that became a financial debacle.
Of course not.

I was speaking metaphorically, not literally, my friend
You seem to have missed the part where I said homologation is supposed to yield a "street version", as in an S65 powered Z4 M for the road (the GT3 used the P65 homologated from the S65).
GT category cars are supposed to be based off of a production chassis/engine combo anyway. In a fair world a V8 E89 Z4 M would come first or come alongside the Z4 GT3/E/LM (just like what we're seeing with the M8 GTE).
It's just that BMW found a loophole so they didn't have to build an S65 Z4 M.

The two generations of Z-cars before got M Coupes and M Roadsters with M3 power.
For them to skip the E89 was a missed opportunity.

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 04:00 PM   #48
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
GT category cars are supposed to be based off of a production chassis/engine combo anyway.
Still the z4 gt3 chassis was vastly different. For example it used front/rear dual wishbone suspension, where the z4 did not. Thats an extreme difference.

Quote:
They made that decision when they opted for an x3 style rear axle, so that decision was already made very very early in the designprocess of the e89.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 04:08 PM   #49
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
GT category cars are supposed to be based off of a production chassis/engine combo anyway.
Still the z4 gt3 chassis was vastly different. For example it used front/rear dual wishbone suspension, where the z4 did not. Thats an extreme difference.

Quote:
They made that decision when they opted for an x3 style rear axle, so that decision was already made very very early in the designprocess of the e89.
Yea and they also created a fixed hardtop, essentially turning the E89 GT3 into a coupe.

We can list all the differences between GT category cars and their "street" counterparts.
They're not the same, but homologation is homologation.
Every other manufacturer at the time built a street version of what they were racing. Otherwise, Ferrari would just enter racing with their 458 with a V12 engine. That's not really good sportsmanship, but that's kind of what BMW did here.

The X3 elements are new to me. I didn't know that.
But given what we know about BMW M, there's no doubt in my mind that they have the prowess and know-how to transform the "base" E89 chassis into one that meets the performance envelope.
The ancient Z3 M suspension wasn't exactly great either but look at how much they are loved regardless.
Hell, they turn SAVs into M trucks now.
And the F30 chassis that gets called "boring" and "numb" gets massaged by M into the F80, the most agile in its class.
I have no doubt in my mind if BMW AG gave the OK, that M GmbH would've done something great here.

Look, I get what you're saying.
But you're reading too much into this.

It's hard to argue that an S65 Z4 M would've been anything but a star in BMW's lineup.
It would've also made sense marketing-wise since they were also racing a "souped up version" of that theoretical V8 Z4 M.

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 04:35 PM   #50
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
But given what we know about BMW M, there's no doubt in my mind that they have the prowess and know-how to transform the "base" E89 chassis into one that meets the performance envelope.
No they couldn't have made an e89 m.
For that they always root around in their M parts bin.
And by opting for an x3 style rear axle (that is very similar to the e46 one), they also immediately decided that contemporary 3 series rear suspension stuff wouldnt work. E46 rear suspension parts (mainly the LSD) isnt/wasnt available anymore (at least, not in those numbers, you can only get refurbs now I think), so those parts werent on hand anymore in the numbers they would need them to be to create an M.
So they could have only made an e89 M if it wouldnt have an LSD, and I'm pretty sure that that wont happen ever.
And they're not going to start up a drivetrain fabrication plant just for a few e89 z4m possible sales. For that you need to sell in the 10k or 100k numbers (thats why they normally use m3 parts)

Everything on the GT3 might be homologation, but the truth is that there is not a single component on that cars drivetrain or suspension that would fit a normal E89. So that is not included in the rules of the homologation.

Its mostly a car that looks like an e89. (a non existing e89 coupe that is)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 04:45 PM   #51
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
No they couldn't have made an e89 m.
For that they always root around in their M parts bin.
And by opting for an x3 style rear axle (that is very similar to the e46 one), they also immediately decided that contemporary 3 series rear suspension stuff wouldnt work. E46 rear suspension parts (mainly the LSD) isnt available anymore (at least, not in those numbers, you can only get refurbs now I think), so those parts werent on hand anymore in the numbers they would need them to be to create an M.
So they could have only made an e89 M if it wouldnt have an LSD, and I'm pretty sure that that wont happen ever.

Everything on the GT3 might be homologation, but the truth is that there is not a single component on that cars drivetrain or suspension that would fit a normal E89. So that is not included in the rules of the homologation.

Its mostly a car that looks like an e89. (a non existing e89 coupe that is)
While I agree that from a practical & cost-effective standpoint it would've been tough to pitch the idea to corporate (which was probably one reason it never came into fruition), but there's a difference between a project being unpractical/costly and one that is impossible.

We can agree to disagree but this is more the result of BMW AG's overall corporate strategy than engineering or manufacturing complexities.
By this time, BMW was already thinking into cost-savings, platform sharing, and streamlining processes and M GmbH was losing its autonomy. This would become more apparent over time as we are now beginning to see the effects.
Don't forget, M was run by hooligans who often undertook many obscure and challenging projects, sometimes just for fun. They held firm beliefs about what an M-car should be and worked at it until the car fulfilled their own standards.
This often meant bespoke works to achieve that.
Until recently, completely bespoke mechanical components in the development of M-cars was not out of the ordinary. Often times, parts were developed, tested, and engineered independently from scratch & weren't co-developed or based off of any other design. I don't think we need to get into how many M-cars from the bygone era had parts that were not shared with any other platform.
In the grand scheme of things, something such as fitting a bespoke LSD is a matter of cost, not of capability.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 10:05 AM   #52
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

BMW’s New Roadster Concept To Debut Alongside 8-Series Concept At Pebble Beach

Quote:
BMW has confirmed the world debut of a new roadster concept that will preview the upcoming Z4 successor at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.

The new concept will debut next to the beautiful 8 Series Concept that made its premiere a few months back at the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este.

BMW won’t confirm that it’s the Z4 successor we’re talking about; instead it says that their new concept is previewing their new model that’s slated for 2018 and released a sketch last week that vaguely shows the profile of it.

As for the 8-Series Concept, it will also celebrate its North American premiere, giving customers a first taste of what to expect once the new 8-Series is launched in 2018.

“The BMW Concept 8 Series is our take on a full-blooded high-end driving machine,” says Adrian van Hooydonk, Senior Vice President BMW Group Design. “It is a luxurious sports car which embodies both unadulterated dynamics and modern luxury like arguably no other. For me, it’s a slice of pure automotive fascination.”

The unveiling of the two concept cars will take place on Thursday, August 17th at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, so stay tuned.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/08/bmw...-to-debut.html
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #53
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
In the grand scheme of things, something such as fitting a bespoke LSD is a matter of cost, not of capability.
Of course its a matter of cost. Everything BMW does is a matter of cost.
BMW is a company (Aktiengesellschaft), so thats a complete non-argument.

Therefore they'll always go to their parts bin for something like an LSD for a z4m.
Always have, always wil. And by choosing for the x3 rear axle config, they decided back then that it would be impossible to get an lsd from their parts bin.
Hence no LSD, Hence no e89 z4m. Its that simple. History shows that. arguing with that is arguing with history. No Z ///m ever got its bespoke LSD.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #54
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Of course its a matter of cost. Everything BMW does is a matter of cost.
BMW is a company (Aktiengesellschaft), so thats a complete non-argument.

Therefore they'll always go to their parts bin for something like an LSD for a z4m.
Always have, always wil. And by choosing for the x3 rear axle config, they decided back then that it would be impossible to get an lsd from their parts bin.
Hence no LSD, Hence no e89 z4m. Its that simple. History shows that. arguing with that is arguing with history. No Z ///m ever got its bespoke LSD.
It's funny because history actually shows the opposite.
I'm repeating myself here, because it doesn't seem like you're reading my posts in their entirety, you're pinpointing specific sentences instead without taking the whole statement into account.

When available, the parts-bin is the first choice. I mean why not, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it works and it saves cost then you hit two birds with one stone.
But that doesn't mean it's either parts-bin or bust, absolutely not.
When necessary, BMW M has always been able to design and engineer components from scratch, with the full capability and technical know-how to create whatever changes are necessary to transform a series BMW into an M-car.
History has shown that bespoke designs from M are not out of the ordinary.
Obviously companies have to balance their spreadsheets, but M was always given a high-degree of autonomy when it came to engineering based decisions, until recently, of course.

Something like redesigning a differential or modifying the E9X M3 differential is playground stuff for BMW M.
Contrary to what you've said, they did it before with the E85/6 Z4 M. Even if they are swappable between E46 and E85/86, they are a different design with a different part number, and they would've easily developed one for the E89, except the bean counters likely vetoed it.

Last edited by Law; 08-01-2017 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #55
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
It's funny because history actually shows the opposite.

Something like redesigning a differential or modifying the E9X M3 differential is playground stuff for BMW M.
Contrary to what you've said, they did it before with the E85/6 Z4 M. Even if they are swappable between E46 and E85/86, they are a different design with a different part number, and they would've easily developed one for the E89, except the bean counters likely vetoed it.
Actually... you're not quite up to par when it comes to bmw parts.
You see the e46 m3 LSD diff got a design change around their mid life. In february '02 to be precise. If you read the ETK you can see that for yourself.
What you see there is the pre 02-'02 M3 style lsd and the z4m diff, which is obviously based on the latter one.
I can see now how you got to your conclusions, but as you see there is a perfect explanation for that.
Sometimes you see m3 diff cores for sale that have the z4m style core. Then you immediately know that those come from past 02-'02 m3's

So they definately didnt do a redesign of the z4m LSD core, its the core from the latter (post '02) e46 M3.
I do believe the z4m got a different diff cover with some extra cooling fins, but thats a very simple/cheap part to change (all e85 z4's got extra cooling fins on their diffs compared to their e46 counterparts btw) compared to a diff.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 02:45 PM   #56
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Actually... you're not quite up to par when it comes to bmw parts.
You see the e46 m3 LSD diff got a design change around their mid life. In february '02 to be precise. If you read the ETK you can see that for yourself.
What you see there is the pre 02-'02 M3 style lsd and the z4m diff, which is obviously based on the latter one.
I can see now how you got to your conclusions, but as you see there is a perfect explanation for that.
Sometimes you see m3 diff cores for sale that have the z4m style core. Then you immediately know that those come from past 02-'02 m3's

So they definately didnt do a redesign of the z4m LSD core, its the core from the latter (post '02) e46 M3.
I do believe the z4m got a different diff cover with some extra cooling fins, but thats a very simple/cheap part to change (all e85 z4's got extra cooling fins on their diffs compared to their e46 counterparts btw) compared to a diff.
Everything I've read and seen (with the two differentials opened up side-by-side) indicates a different design.
While this is a separate topic, if you want to keep discussing the E46 M3 and Z4 M LSDs, you can link me to literature or photos indicating otherwise, though I'd much rather not, because that's a different discussion from what's at hand entirely.

So I digress, because regardless, the LSD is a moot point to make anyways.
To suggest that M was not able to properly design or modify a differential for a hypothetical E89 M is a pretty big claim.
Ultimately if it was down to a decision of cost of redesigning an LSD coupled with the fact that BMW was already able to skirt homologation rules that ultimately spelled the death of any E89 Z4 M coming into fruition, then for enthusiasts, that is sad (a missed opportunity as mentioned above).

And that's my point here, I'm not here to argue whether or not an E89 Z4 M would be cost effective.
It might've been and it might not have been, we'll never truly know.
We can only speculate.
But one thing is for certain, the capability [for BMW M] was definitely there and it would've been an awesome car.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #57
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Everything I've read and seen (with the two differentials opened up side-by-side) indicates a different design.
While this is a separate topic, if you want to keep discussing the E46 M3 and Z4 M LSDs, you can link me to literature or photos indicating otherwise,
Fine, you clearly dont believe me....
ETK entry:
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E4..._output/#pos_1
part change feb 02

Here you can see a guy selling e46 m3 lsd that has clearly got the same style core as the z4m (sorry, the ad is in romanian, use google translate or something):
https://forum.4tuning.ro/641-piese-b...sd-m3-e46.html

Looks clear to me...
For me whats most interesting is why the changed the design of the core. They're both still pump actuated afaik.

Quote:
So I digress, because regardless, the LSD is a moot point to make anyways.
To suggest that M was not able to properly design or modify a differential for a hypothetical E89 M is a pretty big claim.
Is it? the e89 subframe can only accept an 188k diff housing, if you know what that is....
BMW hasnt had an lsd in that style housing since the 90's!
Of course they can design it, and they can build a factory to make it. But thats my whole point, they dont have it on stock, its not in their partsbin, and they're not going to invest millions in a production line for a diff that may be fitted 4000 times, if they even reach that number.
THATS why they ALWAYS have reffered to the m3 partsbin. The M3, being a car that is sold in the 50-100k numbers. If you sell those kind of numbers, only then it becomes profitable to make these components on a platform scale. Remember that a z4m would be something like a 90k car, not a 200k car, so they're on a very limited budget. And by choosing the x3 style rear axle, they knew that an lsd from the e90 platform would be impossible. In contrary to the 1 series, that has a rear axle style that is very much compatible wht the e90 style rear axle.
And you also forget the tooling. Its not ONLY the diff, they also have to make the factory tooling to handle the different components. That also has to be designed etc.

BMW has done platformsharing with all their M models since the 90's.
They make a 3 series style M platform (from which the z3 and e85 z4 have benefitted, and of course the 1m and m2), a 5 series style M platform (from which the z8 and m6 benefits), and they make an x5m/x6m platform.

They're not going to change their way of making cars suddenly because of an e89 z4m. Never have and probably never wil. Disputing that is disputing history, and thats rather silly.

If you take more notice on how bmw platforms are developed and how the cars are build, you'll understand bmw's way of thinking.

So if you want to know if a certain M version is going to be build (other than m3/m5/x5m, so other than the core M platforms), look for their architecture and look for if an LSD is possible form existing components and look for semifloating brake rotors. Those are the main tech components that an M car should have.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #58
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Fine, you clearly dont believe me....
ETK entry:
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E4..._output/#pos_1
part change feb 02

Here you can see a guy selling e46 m3 lsd that has clearly got the same style core as the z4m (sorry, the ad is in romanian, use google translate or something):
https://forum.4tuning.ro/641-piese-b...sd-m3-e46.html

Looks clear to me...
For me whats most interesting is why the changed the design of the core. They're both still pump actuated afaik.

Is it? the e89 subframe can only accept an 188k diff housing, if you know what that is....
BMW hasnt had an lsd in that style housing since the 90's!
Of course they can design it, and they can build a factory to make it. But thats my whole point, they dont have it on stock, its not in their partsbin, and they're not going to invest millions in a production line for a diff that may be fitted 4000 times, if they even reach that number.
THATS why they ALWAYS have reffered to the m3 partsbin. The M3, being a car that is sold in the 50-100k numbers. If you sell those kind of numbers, only then it becomes profitable to make these components on a platform scale. Remember that a z4m would be something like a 90k car, not a 200k car, so they're on a very limited budget. And by choosing the x3 style rear axle, they knew that an lsd from the e90 platform would be impossible. In contrary to the 1 series, that has a rear axle style that is very much compatible wht the e90 style rear axle.
And you also forget the tooling. Its not ONLY the diff, they also have to make the factory tooling to handle the different components. That also has to be designed etc.

BMW has done platformsharing with all their M models since the 90's.
They make a 3 series style M platform (from which the z3 and e85 z4 have benefitted, and of course the 1m and m2), a 5 series style M platform (from which the z8 and m6 benefits), and they make an x5m/x6m platform.

They're not going to change their way of making cars suddenly because of an e89 z4m. Never have and probably never wil. Disputing that is disputing history, and thats rather silly.

If you take more notice on how bmw platforms are developed and how the cars are build, you'll understand bmw's way of thinking.

So if you want to know if a certain M version is going to be build (other than m3/m5/x5m, so other than the core M platforms), look for their architecture and look for if an LSD is possible form existing components and look for semifloating brake rotors. Those are the main tech components that an M car should have.
I appreciate your efforts to try to portray yourself as the resident expert, but you're so deep into the woods that you can't see the forest anymore.

Obviously a non-M Z4 is not going to share a subframe with any M model.
Something like the rear subframe would see reworking by M to ensure everything works together. You think an M-car is just an engine and LSD?
An M-car is so much more than that, so you're mistaken if you think just because a non-M chassis falls short, that BMW M can't work to make it into something useful.
Tooling, I'm glad you mentioned it. You're exaggerating here though.
And no, it wouldn't be a $200k car.
I laugh when I hear statements like this.
You sound like the same apologists during "mirror-gate" who claimed the M2 would cost as much as an M4 if BMW made a custom bracket to fit M-exterior mirrors.
No it wouldn't, it was the bean counters cutting corners, clear and simple.
BMW M facilities are mature enough to be able to deal with an LSD if need be. And there are components that could be produced by BMW's OEM suppliers; it's not like BMW or any mass-production vehicle manufacturer manufactures everything 100% in-house anyway.

TBH I am disappointed at your evidence especially considering you consistently tried to act like you possessed superior knowledge in this discussion.
I was expecting some concrete material, not RealOEM type references or an obscure FS post from a Romanian forum.
Regarding the former, I've looked up the two PNs before as well and the only concrete information is that the old PN was "superseded" by the new one, which tells us absolutely nothing about the design vs. the Z4 M since the Z4 M LSD has a different PN anyway.
FWIW, PNs superseding old ones are common in mass production. Often times, a change of manufacturers or something relatively minuscule such as a different coating will cause the old PN to be superseded by a new one. So supersede =/= new design.
Your latter reference to the Romanian thread is also vague and not concrete. The seller is selling without the case or the pinion. The seller is the type that has/had a bunch of BMW parts laying around. It may very well be a Z4 M diff that has been misidentified at this point.
The burden of proof is on you, since we have concrete details from side-by-side comparisons from multiple sources demonstrating the differences...versus one obscure post that can't be confirmed.
Anyways, nice try.
I came in with an open mind since you came off like you were an expert on the matter, but it turns out you're just an armchair engineer

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 07:47 PM   #59
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
TBH I am disappointed at your evidence especially considering you consistently tried to act like you possessed superior knowledge in this discussion.
I was expecting some concrete material, not RealOEM type references or an obscure FS post from a Romanian forum.
Oh come on, There is nothing, and I do mean NOTHING that you have added concretely to support your theory. NOTHING AT ALL!
No evidence, no references, NOTHING.
And you're trying to point out that the ETK is very inconclusive and that a person getting a LSD core from a car apparantly doesnt know what car he got it from?
So then tell me, mister "I didnt know the e89 had a rear axle based on the X3" (now who's the armchair engineer here now?!?), from what car did he then get that LSD eh?
Would it have been better if it was on an english forum?!?
Calling that post obscure only underlines your inability to look beyond your narrow US view.

Sorry to say, but apparantly you dont have the mental capacity or the experience to actually contribute to this discussion with hard data.
For instance, show me a bmw made LSD in a 188k casing. I bet you've never even had one in your hands....
TBH, have you even ever taken a diff apart? like a real mechanic? Can you post some pictures of yourself doing that?

Lets see some concrete material from you then that supports your theory eh?
Then we can talk further like grown ups.

And again, you're arguing bmw's history. Thats pretty stupid.
They didnt make the e89 M. If it would have been simple they would have as bmw is master in filling all the niches.

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-01-2017 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #60
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Oh come on, There is nothing, and I do mean NOTHING that you have added concretely to support your theory. NOTHING AT ALL!
No evidence, no references, NOTHING.
And you're trying to point out that the ETK is very inconclusive and that a person getting a LSD core from a car apparantly doesnt know what car he got it from?
So then tell me, mister "I didnt know the e89 had a rear axle based on the X3" (now who's the armchair engineer here now?!?), from what car did he then get that LSD eh?
Would it have been better if it was on an english forum?!?
Calling that post obscure only underlines your inability to look beyond your narrow US view.

Sorry to say, but apparantly you dont have the mental capacity or the experience to actually contribute to this discussion with hard data.
For instance, show me a bmw made LSD in a 188k casing. I bet you've never even had one in your hands....
TBH, have you even ever taken a diff apart? like a real mechanic? Can you post some pictures of yourself doing that?

Lets see some concrete material from you then that supports your theory eh?
Then we can talk further like grown ups.

And again, you're arguing bmw's history. Thats pretty stupid.
They didnt make the e89 M. If it would have been simple they would have as bmw is master in filling all the niches.
You're mad.
Did you bother to read the rest of my post? Or were to too busy getting worked up that I discredited your credentials.

I'm not an armchair anything. I'm not a mechanic, an engineer, or a racecar driver. I'm just a BMW enthusiast.
You, on the other hand, came into this discussion with constant belittling, like you were such an expert. Then the only things you can use to backup your claim is a vague FS post, and PNs, which don't tell the story whatsoever.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #61
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

At least I can backup something...
There's nothing vague about that post. You cant proove its not from that car. You cant proove that he didnt know what car he was working on, basically you're saying he apparantly was too blind to see the difference between an e46 and e85. I think those people usually dont break up diff cores.

You cant backup anything, and have no in depth additions...
The only thing you can do is react to technical data I bring into play, by denying it on grounds of so called plausibility.... because you cant come up with hard techical data yourself.
You probably dont even know what an 188 or 210 diff means or even what other diffs are in that range.
You have no idea what you're talking about. You know nothing about bmw drivetrain mechanics.

The only thing I can say is that if they wanted to have an e89m, it would mean that it would require to make a bespoke rear subframe, with a bespoke rear diff, because none of the cores they have on stock would have fitted. And they've never done that with any /m in the Z range. If they had gone with a 1/3 series back axle in the e89 instead of the x3 style, they could have just put the m3 back axle in, like they did with the 1m and previously with the z4m.
Thats how they build those cars. And being that there didnt came an e89m they didnt stray from that strategy.
As for marketing potential for an e89m they could have used the race succeses of the e89 GT3 to boost sales, but apparantly it was too big of a hurlde to take as the e89m never came.

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-01-2017 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 08:47 PM   #62
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
At least I can backup something...
There's nothing vague about that post.

You cant backup anything, and have no in depth additions...
The only thing you can do is react to technical data I bring into play, by denying it on grounds of so called plausibility.... because you cant come up with hard techical data yourself.
You probably dont even know what an 188 or 210 diff means or even what other diffs are in that range.
You have no idea what you're talking about. You know nothing about bmw drivetrain mechanics.
Ahahaha yup you're the man, your Phd from the school of hard knocks and internet forums is very valuable.
Keep thinking you're the expert on BMW drivetrain mechanics if that helps you sleep at night Mr. Armchair Mechanic

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #63
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

At least I know how to swap or adjust or alter a diff.
If you have hands on experience its always so easy to to pick out the people who wouldnt know which way to turn a bolt...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #64
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
At least I know how to swap or adjust or alter a diff.
If you have hands on experience its always so easy to to pick out the people who wouldnt know which way to turn a bolt...
Congratulations tough guy

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #65
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Thats indeed more your level, memeguy...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 09:27 PM   #66
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Thats indeed more your level, memeguy...
A fake mechanic with no sense of humor.
You must be fun at parties.

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread