BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Brand New X5 Swirl marks and scratch removal

03-07-2024, 01:03 PM   #23
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
I swore I would never own a black car again after the beating my F25 X3 took for 8 years… and then I replaced that with a F15 in BSM lol. It is what it is, love / hate relationship.
I will admit that a sparkling clean black car with a mirror finish is awesome. But the first drive it's back to looking like cr@p. That's why most of my cars have silver, white, or YMB. At least they will look clean for a few days.
3002 tii2284.50
      03-07-2024, 04:55 PM   #24
spazzz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi MHD&XHP,2013 X1 35i

You can get your braveness in check by starting with the least aggressive pad and polish.
Give Essence a whirl and see what happens.

I would be prepared with a more heavy cut compound for those stubborn areas.

Know when to stop, it is somewhat nerve racking at first but with a light polish, a good DA and a polish pad it is easy street.
Don't let the little doodles left behind drive you nuts, no one knows they are.

Do your homework on DA equipment. I started with a Porter Cable 7424XP then went for a balls to the wall DA, Flex 3401. It doesn't take no for an answer.
I love it. It is all I use.
I bought another one for when my brothers want me to polish their trucks, 3500 Super Duty and Duramax, they have to help.
All they did to learn was watch me for a few minutes.
Appreciate 2
      03-07-2024, 06:42 PM   #25
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

For small areas with specific damage, you might consider doing it by hand. Obviously not the entire car, but if it's just a spot or two with a deeper scratch needing extra work, you could do it by hand if you're a little nervous or don't own a polisher. Polisher still suggested if you plan to do a whole car even with something light.

Last edited by tracer bullet; 03-07-2024 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 2
icj_45e108.00
      03-08-2024, 08:31 AM   #26
icj_45e
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasehackr View Post
Thanks for your reply

I posted the same qns to Carpros Insta channel they told me essence should be more than enough. I can always try with small area with ultracut and see if it works

Do you recommend Rupes over carpros? The link you posted for Rupes.

I think I was looking at Rupes DA system earlier. which one you recommend. It goes from 150-500 bucks

https://clean-garage.com/search.php?...uery=DA+system
Like others have said, try the Essence first with a couple different pads, and if it works then that'd be great. If scratches are still there, you'll want to get a higher cut compound and/or pad.

I have never tried the Rupes polishing products I sent the link for. But it looks like a great price for a variety pack if you haven't puchased anything yet. They get good reviews on the videos I've watched on youtube. You won't need much polish to take care of those scratches you posted pics for.

For the polishing machine itself, Rupes seems to be a high end machine and I'm sure it would be a great tool to have. Personally I use a cheap DA from Harbor Freight. It works for me, but I only polish our two cars once a year each, so can't justify the price tag on a nicer machine
Appreciate 2
      03-08-2024, 08:38 AM   #27
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I went down the detailing rabbit hole during the pandemic trying to correct the paint on my E92. I would go directly to the dealership on a new car, why spend all that time and money on learning detailing when it should have been right when you drove off the lot?
      03-08-2024, 11:43 AM   #28
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

OP, I have been paint correcting my own cars for many years and have the polishes, compounds and equipent to get it done. As I get wiser (read that as older), my energy for correcting swirls has diminished. In looking at your pics, it appears to me that all are light scratches of the clear coat, which is great news. Because that means that light to medium polish, should do the trick. I have an assortment of 3M polishing stuff, cutting compounds, and use a 3" and 6" portable cable machines and all work well. The question I have: Is it your intent to do all your own paint corrections now and in the future? I ask because you are looking at a few hundred $$ worth of stuff to take care of this, then maybe all sits in the garage for a few yrs? All up to you of course. An alternate solution is to take to a reputable detailer in your area who can do paint correction by itself or as part of ceramic coating (if that's something you want to do).
Appreciate 2
      03-08-2024, 04:08 PM   #29
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by icj_45e View Post
Like others have said, try the Essence first with a couple different pads, and if it works then that'd be great. If scratches are still there, you'll want to get a higher cut compound and/or pad.

I have never tried the Rupes polishing products I sent the link for. But it looks like a great price for a variety pack if you haven't puchased anything yet. They get good reviews on the videos I've watched on youtube. You won't need much polish to take care of those scratches you posted pics for.

For the polishing machine itself, Rupes seems to be a high end machine and I'm sure it would be a great tool to have. Personally I use a cheap DA from Harbor Freight. It works for me, but I only polish our two cars once a year each, so can't justify the price tag on a nicer machine
make sense with cheap DA to use only 1-2 times per year.

Currently I have this meguiar DA system which I used may be 2-3 times in the last 5 years.

https://www.meguiarsdirect.com/megui...er-system.html

I will look Harbor freight, I have one close to where I live and they are cheap. as long as it has the plate to use Carpros pads, it should work.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 04:11 PM   #30
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I went down the detailing rabbit hole during the pandemic trying to correct the paint on my E92. I would go directly to the dealership on a new car, why spend all that time and money on learning detailing when it should have been right when you drove off the lot?
I could but for more than 12% discount + Yes to every incentive/rebate I put on my sales order on every new car and free accessories. I don't want to put a dent in 10-year-old relationship with GM directly; and I need to order RED G60 next week.

SO....Sometimes you need to suck it up.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 04:15 PM   #31
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADBMWX5MC View Post
OP, I have been paint correcting my own cars for many years and have the polishes, compounds and equipent to get it done. As I get wiser (read that as older), my energy for correcting swirls has diminished. In looking at your pics, it appears to me that all are light scratches of the clear coat, which is great news. Because that means that light to medium polish, should do the trick. I have an assortment of 3M polishing stuff, cutting compounds, and use a 3" and 6" portable cable machines and all work well. The question I have: Is it your intent to do all your own paint corrections now and in the future? I ask because you are looking at a few hundred $$ worth of stuff to take care of this, then maybe all sits in the garage for a few yrs? All up to you of course. An alternate solution is to take to a reputable detailer in your area who can do paint correction by itself or as part of ceramic coating (if that's something you want to do).
Yes correct, marking is on clear coat for sure.

Yes I will be doing all the stuff myself. washing, waxing, coating etc. after 2 year with new car, then I let someone else touch my car. even though it's lease. Kind of OCD it is

supplies will be able to use for the next car. I will be going to do coating on G60 RED I will be ordering soon, was waiting on interaction bar option. so I will buy 50ml or bottle for 2-3 cars. Washing and other supplies will be able to reuse.

Last edited by leasehackr; 03-08-2024 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 04:21 PM   #32
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
on a side note, how much usually it is being charged for coating on a new car?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 04:26 PM   #33
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icj_45e View Post

This ^^

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...her-56367.html

They have bunch from 39 - 129?
https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...1871&current=1
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 05:04 PM   #34
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Quote:
on a side note, how much usually it is being charged for coating on a new car?
Great question, depends on location. I just paid over $1K for Xpel Fusion plus ceramic coating that included paint correction prior application.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 09:45 PM   #35
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Great question, depends on location. I just paid over $1K for Xpel Fusion plus ceramic coating that included paint correction prior application.
Heck of a deal! I paid $1600 to have that done on on my Z4 with a different product.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2024, 08:02 PM   #36
icj_45e
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 45e

Quote:
I use this one. Almost 50% sale right now
https://www.harborfreight.com/57-amp...der-64528.html
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2024, 10:29 PM   #37
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Qns. does the cars not comes with this protective cover anymore or port jokers removed it without any reasons.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 11:06 PM   #38
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
They are removed at the port before sending it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 11:48 PM   #39
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arucano View Post
They are removed at the port before sending it to the dealer.
Why? what's their problem?

it was used to come to dealers with it. Now they F'kd new car paint. That's what happened with mine, at least.
Appreciate 1
icj_45e108.00