BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos AMG GT R Black Series

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-19-2020, 10:25 AM   #89
HeelToeShift
Private First Class
96
Rep
102
Posts

Drives: Mine
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
GT3 won't get there just due to its lack of power. The next 2RS might however.
Totally plausible. My thinking here is as such. The 991 GT3RS was 24 seconds faster than the 997 GT3 RS despite what looked like minimal changes so I believe that there is a 70/30 chance the new RS will be able to shave off ~8 seconds. And just to be clear, the reason it is 8 seconds is because the 991 GT3RS time was clocked at 6:56 for the 12.9 mile circuit while the AMG GT BS clocked 6:48 on the 12.9 mile and the record time was for the 12.8 mile circuit which the 2RS clocked 6:47 (excerpt below). So really, when comparing apples to apples, the AMG is well within reach of the 992 3RS. Not sure how many others caught that especially in comparison to the 3RSí time.
Attached Images
  

Last edited by HeelToeShift; 11-19-2020 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #90
See5
BMW Fan
See5's Avatar
United_States
355
Rep
673
Posts

Drives: Nothing
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
Totally plausible. My thinking here is as such. The 991 GT3RS was 24 seconds faster than the 997 GT3 RS despite what looked like minimal changes so I believe that there is a 70/30 chance the new RS will be able to shave off ~8 seconds. And just to be clear, the reason it is 8 seconds is because the 991 GT3RS time was clocked at 6:56 for the 12.9 mile circuit while the AMG GT BS clocked 6:48 on the 12.9 mile and the record time was for the 12.8 mile circuit which the 2RS clocked 6:47 (excerpt below). So really, when comparing apples to apples, the AMG is well within reach of the 992 3RS. Not sure how many others caught that especially in comparison to the 3RS’ time.
The 992 undoubtedly will be better but with the 997 being a 996 derivative, there's basically 15 years of development from moving to the 991 platform alone. The 991 also had better aero, suspension, gained 70+hp and what amounts to racing slicks.

At this point, its pure power making the biggest difference. I seriously doubt the 992 RS is gaining 70hp over the 991 version. The GTR BS, SVJ, and 991 GT2RS are all making 740+hp with the GT2 and BS probably making more than that realistically.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 01:25 PM   #91
HeelToeShift
Private First Class
96
Rep
102
Posts

Drives: Mine
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
The 992 undoubtedly will be better but with the 997 being a 996 derivative, there's basically 15 years of development from moving to the 991 platform alone. The 991 also had better aero, suspension, gained 70+hp and what amounts to racing slicks.

At this point, its pure power making the biggest difference. I seriously doubt the 992 RS is gaining 70hp over the 991 version. The GTR BS, SVJ, and 991 GT2RS are all making 740+hp with the GT2 and BS probably making more than that realistically.
The RS will likely gain 20-30 hp but for Porsche on an NA car that is usually 20-30 hp at high altitude meaning itís much more at sea level or below. The 8 speed PDK with short ratios and aero will be a major difference as well and Porsche will be employing a big change there which I think will all add up. Of note, the 991.1 3RS did 7:20 so 24 seconds better from the 991.1 to 991.2 without a whole lot of material changes and only that 20 hp difference.
No one would have ever thought a 520 hp NA would do below 7:00 in the first place let alone a 6:56. Given that the GT3RS has 200 hp less hp than the AMG and is only 8 seconds off pace with the same 12.9 circuit I would wager a friendly bet that the 992 3RS will beat it.

No one would have guessed the 718 GT4 with only 414 hp and a manual would do 7:28 either but it did. The 2RS with 691 hp os a great time as is the SVJ and AMG, but the 3RS for its lack of power is much more impressive than all of them.

Last edited by HeelToeShift; 11-19-2020 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 05:19 PM   #92
See5
BMW Fan
See5's Avatar
United_States
355
Rep
673
Posts

Drives: Nothing
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
The RS will likely gain 20-30 hp but for Porsche on an NA car that is usually 20-30 hp at high altitude meaning itís much more at sea level or below. The 8 speed PDK with short ratios and aero will be a major difference as well and Porsche will be employing a big change there which I think will all add up. Of note, the 991.1 3RS did 7:20 so 24 seconds better from the 991.1 to 991.2 without a whole lot of material changes and only that 20 hp difference.
No one would have ever thought a 520 hp NA would do below 7:00 in the first place let alone a 6:56. Given that the GT3RS has 200 hp less hp than the AMG and is only 8 seconds off pace with the same 12.9 circuit I would wager a friendly bet that the 992 3RS will beat it.

No one would have guessed the 718 GT4 with only 414 hp and a manual would do 7:28 either but it did. The 2RS with 691 hp os a great time as is the SVJ and AMG, but the 3RS for its lack of power is much more impressive than all of them.
I'd put money on that bet. I'm not seeing it unless the 3RS is on full slicks. The Cup 2R's aren't going to be passed anytime soon and the rest of the package won't make up the deficit.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 05:48 PM   #93
Murf993
Major
Murf993's Avatar
5236
Rep
1,120
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
I'd put money on that bet. I'm not seeing it unless the 3RS is on full slicks. The Cup 2R's aren't going to be passed anytime soon and the rest of the package won't make up the deficit.
I'm not saying you are wrong, but Porsche has some kind of voodoo going on with their street/track cars. Every so often someone comes along and breaks the record, and then Porsche comes out and reclaims it. I'm a huge Porsche fan but I do think I'd trade my 993 for a MB GTR. I hope my bug didn't hear that.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 08:29 PM   #94
HeelToeShift
Private First Class
96
Rep
102
Posts

Drives: Mine
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
I'd put money on that bet. I'm not seeing it unless the 3RS is on full slicks. The Cup 2R's aren't going to be passed anytime soon and the rest of the package won't make up the deficit.
I think youíre underestimating Porscheís uncanny ability to make a small change that equates to a lot on track (ie 991.1 3RS to .2 3RS and 24 seconds on the Ring).
Definitely call it a friendly wager.
Appreciate 1
Murf9935236.00

      11-22-2020, 04:33 AM   #95
Eternalthinker
Private
Eternalthinker's Avatar
29
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: walnut

iTrader: (0)

This is indeed a true track car with number plates. The only downside in my opinion is that AMG has a little more to learn from the likes of Mclaren and Ferrari in customization. My request for the BS in Solarbeam like my GTR has been rejected.
Attached Images
  
__________________
Mixed Bag: McLaren 675LT, 720s Coupe, X7, X2, AMGGTR, 812 Superfast, Tesla ModelX P100D, CLK DTM, Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model S, Aventador
Appreciate 2
stein_325i7675.00
Murf9935236.00

      11-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #96
stein_325i
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
7675
Rep
4,236
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalthinker View Post
This is indeed a true track car with number plates. The only downside in my opinion is that AMG has a little more to learn from the likes of Mclaren and Ferrari in customization. My request for the BS in Solarbeam like my GTR has been rejected.
That's a gorgeous GT-R!
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 2
      11-22-2020, 11:21 PM   #97
Eternalthinker
Private
Eternalthinker's Avatar
29
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: walnut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
That's a gorgeous GT-R!
Thank you. It is not my fastest, but the rumble / pops / handling makes it a very unique + fun driving experience.
__________________
Mixed Bag: McLaren 675LT, 720s Coupe, X7, X2, AMGGTR, 812 Superfast, Tesla ModelX P100D, CLK DTM, Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model S, Aventador
Appreciate 1
stein_325i7675.00

      11-23-2020, 12:31 PM   #98
brad850csi
Colonel
869
Rep
2,004
Posts

Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalthinker View Post
Thank you. It is not my fastest, but the rumble / pops / handling makes it a very unique + fun driving experience.
Looking at your list, what are your thoughts on the GTR vs 812 vs 720s for longer distance drives, say 3 to 5 hours over twisty roads, something like the Californian canyon roads that Matt Farah drives his one takes on.
__________________
SCOTT26 "So as an admirer of the M5 and a potential customer of an M5 Touring. I would run naked around the streets of Garching if they were to offer one."
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 08:53 PM   #99
PopsnBurbles
Captain
PopsnBurbles's Avatar
United_States
143
Rep
832
Posts

Drives: 135is :) 192/586
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: LA, CA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalthinker View Post
Thank you. It is not my fastest, but the rumble / pops / handling makes it a very unique + fun driving experience.
A CLK DTM?! WOW

The things I would do to see and hear one in person. Congrats on having such a rare and special car.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 10:52 PM   #100
Eternalthinker
Private
Eternalthinker's Avatar
29
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: walnut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Looking at your list, what are your thoughts on the GTR vs 812 vs 720s for longer distance drives, say 3 to 5 hours over twisty roads, something like the Californian canyon roads that Matt Farah drives his one takes on.
The 720S and 812 would be the preferred choice on a nice trip to Napa or the coastline. The GTR's ride is quite harsh. Here is a good example. If I have a cup of coffee, it is most certain I will get some spillage on the GTR while I would not have the problem with the Ferrari or Mclaren.

The 765LT on the other hand I think would be a different story.
__________________
Mixed Bag: McLaren 675LT, 720s Coupe, X7, X2, AMGGTR, 812 Superfast, Tesla ModelX P100D, CLK DTM, Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model S, Aventador
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 11:02 PM   #101
Eternalthinker
Private
Eternalthinker's Avatar
29
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: walnut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post
A CLK DTM?! WOW

The things I would do to see and hear one in person. Congrats on having such a rare and special car.
Thank you. I appreciate the DTM for what it was. It is not a fast car by today's standard, but it has a place in AMG history. I have always been a fan of German muscle and have taken notice of the M8 GC
Attached Images
 
__________________
Mixed Bag: McLaren 675LT, 720s Coupe, X7, X2, AMGGTR, 812 Superfast, Tesla ModelX P100D, CLK DTM, Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model S, Aventador
Appreciate 3
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST