03-12-2017, 09:50 PM   #1520
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
So if I feared for my friends life last night (had I been there) me drawing a weapon would have been justified
You could still be arrested and forced to convince a jury that you legitimately feared for your friends life.

The bottom line is, when you draw your weapon, you had better already made the decision to use it. It doesn't mean you have to fire it once drawn, but if you draw it, it had better be for a legitimate reason and you had better be prepared to use it. If the situation deescalates upon drawing the weapon, great. If not, you will likely have to use it or be prepared for that person to attempt to take it from you.

For a simple fight, if there were 2 against one or if the attacker was armed with a weapon (pipe, crowbar, bat, etc...) or if they continued to beat your friend after your friend was on the ground and was unable to defend themselves, then yes, you have reasonable cause to draw. But that doesn't mean that will end. As soon as that person lunges at you, you'll be forced to fire or potentially die from bullets you purchased.

Being aware of your surroundings and staying out of trouble as best as possible is your best defense.
Sara5791.00
      03-12-2017, 09:51 PM   #1521
xyaaeg234g234
happy.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

Quote:
So breaking someone's nose isn't a felony battery charge?
Quite possibly depending on your state.

Quote:
776.08 Forcible felony.—“Forcible felony” means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.

2016 Florida Statutes > Title XLVI > Chapter 776 > Section 08
      03-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #1522
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigymix View Post
Quite possibly depending on your state.
Looks like breaking someone's nose is second degreee battery in Louisiana
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #1523
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
You could still be arrested and forced to convince a jury that you legitimately feared for your friends life.

The bottom line is, when you draw your weapon, you had better already made the decision to use it. It doesn't mean you have to fire it once drawn, but if you draw it, it had better be for a legitimate reason and you had better be prepared to use it. If the situation deescalates upon drawing the weapon, great. If not, you will likely have to use it or be prepared for that person to attempt to take it from you.

For a simple fight, if there were 2 against one or if the attacker was armed with a weapon (pipe, crowbar, bat, etc...) or if they continued to beat your friend after your friend was on the ground and was unable to defend themselves, then yes, you have reasonable cause to draw. But that doesn't mean that will end. As soon as that person lunges at you, you'll be forced to fire or potentially die from bullets you purchased.

Being aware of your surroundings and staying out of trouble as best as possible is your best defense.
Absolutely!!!!! Completely agree.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #1524
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks like breaking someone's nose is second degreee battery in Louisiana
Breaking someones nose is a result of someone getting punched in the face.

People get punched in the face for several reasons.

If your friend was being an instigating douche bag and pushed the guy first and his retaliation (read self defense) broke your friends nose and you draw in that situation. Call your mom, cause someone will need to watch your daughter for a while. Or at the very least, produce some serious bail money.
      03-12-2017, 09:58 PM   #1525
xyaaeg234g234
happy.
United_States
Rep

It may technically be on the short list of things you could POSSIBLY get away with - I highly doubt you'd be able to convince a jury of your peers that breaking someones nose deserved death - UNLESS - after the broken nose, the aggravator continued without hesitation. At that point I would say you'd have reason to suspect they weren't going to stop and as puny as the bones are - fists can be deadly weapons, so.. eh... it's a toss up.

You'd no doubt lose your weapon/firearm license suspension/hold (possibly for a long time), probably see a night or two in a cell depending on your access to a lawyer or connections in the state/city/town/parish/etc.

In that situation I'd be extremely hesitant to pull (hostile, probably alcohol involved, etc) let alone fire but I was not there and do not know the specifics so I can't say for sure. It's all a judgement/gut instinct/education/knowledge call, and you can only hope that if you're ever in the situation to have to make that call, you make the right one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Breaking someones nose is a result of someone getting punched in the face.

People get punched in the face for several reasons.

If your friend was being an instigating douche bag and pushed the guy first and his retaliation (read self defense) broke your friends nose and you draw in that situation. Call your mom, cause someone will need to watch your daughter for a while. Or at the very least, produce some serious bail money.

Edit: Damn I guess I should've fully read your great posts Mr. Tonka - as I basically just turned into an echo chamber for you.
Mr Tonka6058.00
      03-12-2017, 10:03 PM   #1526
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Wrong mindset. Jail time will ensue
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #1527
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Remington 700 long range or savage 11/111.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #1528
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It may technically be on the short list of things you could POSSIBLY get away with - I highly doubt you'd be able to convince a jury of your peers that breaking someones nose deserved death - UNLESS - after the broken nose, the aggravator continued without hesitation. At that point I would say you'd have reason to suspect they weren't going to stop and as puny as the bones are - fists can be deadly weapons, so.. eh... it's a toss up.

You'd no doubt lose your weapon/firearm license suspension/hold (possibly for a long time), probably see a night or two in a cell depending on your access to a lawyer or connections in the state/city/town/parish/etc.

In that situation I'd be extremely hesitant to pull (hostile, probably alcohol involved, etc) let alone fire but I was not there and do not know the specifics so I can't say for sure. It's all a judgement/gut instinct/education/knowledge call, and you can only hope that if you're ever in the situation to have to make that call, you make the right one.

Edit: Damn I guess I should've fully read your great posts Mr. Tonka - as I basically just turned into an echo chamber for you.
No no. Read what I wrote above it. I was asking can you draw your weapon to subdue a criminal until the police get there in the scenario like last night when Camp was assaulted. I wouldn't even think about killing someone for that but I sure as hell wouldn't let him run away free if I could hold them there myself
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #1529
xyaaeg234g234
happy.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Wrong mindset. Jail time will ensue
This^ Sara504 I sure hope you aren't keeping your carry in your purse/bag/etc if you're drinkin! Bad mix there, no way no how. I'm sure you're a few IQ points smarter than that!

Quote:
Remington 700 long range or savage 11/111.
@ that savage.... but this isn't the jackal man - we don't need to blow jack blacks arm off.
      03-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #1530
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
This^ Sara504 I sure hope you aren't keeping your carry in your purse/bag/etc if you're drinkin! Bad mix there, no way no how. I'm sure you're a few IQ points smarter than that!

@ that savage.... but this isn't the jackal man - we don't need to blow jack blacks arm off.
No never. You can't bring a firearm into a bar.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #1531
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I think most everyone when they start carrying get a little bit of that "you can't mess with me and my family now" mentality. Most people carry for a month or two and then find it too inconvenient. Those of us who carry every day fully realize that drawing your carry weapon is the very last thing we want to do on any given day. If you're not in your home (residing in a castle doctrine state) and you use a weapon in self defense, 98.8% chance your life changes for ever. And it doesn't change for the better.

Carry weapon is the very last line of defense for me.
Sara5791.00
      03-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #1532
xyaaeg234g234
happy.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No no. Read what I wrote above it. I was asking can you draw your weapon to subdue a criminal until the police get there in the scenario like last night when Camp was assaulted. I wouldn't even think about killing someone for that but I sure as hell wouldn't let him run away free if I could hold them there myself
Maybe I need to get some sleep because I can't seem to read before I start spouting off tonight lol... sorry for the misunderstanding there.
      03-12-2017, 10:10 PM   #1533
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This^ Sara504

It's for squirrels and such. Or sasquatch and zombies whatever the case may be.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 10:12 PM   #1534
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Appreciate all the input guys! Lots of great information. Due to DLST, I need to go to bed!! Didn't realize what time it was.
Appreciate 3
Mr Tonka6058.00
Dang3r12512.00
      03-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #1535
xyaaeg234g234
happy.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's for squirrels and such. Or sasquatch and zombies whatever the case may be.
Yeah jeez that thing is versatile. The first ones that came up were 30-06, 223 and 300mag - didn't even see the plinker version (and others). I think you may have just pointed out my next project.. thanks!
      03-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #1536
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Probably be 308 maybe 300 win mag. Just what I need another rifle
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #1537
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats the thing about drawing your pistol. When you do that, you force the criminal to make a decision to submit, fight or flight. If they choose to submit, you could still be charged and prosecuted. If they run, you didn't accomplish your goal and could still be charged and prosecuted. If they fight, now your saddled with the decision to kill someone or possibly be killed by them.

For a 15 second fist fight, you'll have a hard time justifying the use of deadly force to a jury. And once you draw, you're in effect saying you've escalated your response to a small threat to deadly force. Should be a slam dunk for any aspiring DA. You may get a little leeway for being female, but that only goes for when you're threatened, not a male friend.

Quote:
No never. You can't bring a firearm into a bar.
The list of places you can is growing.
Sara5791.00
      03-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #1538
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Sit in the section that' for dining
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #1539
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
So breaking someone's nose isn't a felony battery charge?
It is but its not attempted murder. Felonies are not acceptable reasons to draw. Only to stop a life from being taken or rape
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 05:57 AM   #1540
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Some people just shouldn't own/carry a gun at all.
Appreciate 0