BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board epoxy floor in condo; kitchen or bathroom

12-11-2022, 06:10 PM   #1
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

epoxy floor in condo; kitchen or bathroom

anyone have an epoxy floor put down in their condo kitchen or bathroom.

how about polished cement floor in condo (kitchen, bath etcetera)
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2022, 06:57 PM   #2
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Any examples of an indoor residential epoxy floor?

Does the HOA have anything to say about a concrete floor or something like it?

I like the idea of polished concrete. Rugs and selected floor coverings will help with warmth, echoes and shininess/glare. Satin finish if available would be my choice.

Terrazzo is quasi-epoxy and quasi-concrete. I am a fan of old school terrazzo done properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 07:11 PM   #3
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

I just looked at some crazy examples of this stuff the other day

More normal examples...

Appreciate 5
overcoil3073.50
vreihen1615280.00
chassis6554.00
      12-11-2022, 07:18 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Any examples of an indoor residential epoxy floor?

Does the HOA have anything to say about a concrete floor or something like it?

I like the idea of polished concrete. Rugs and selected floor coverings will help with warmth, echoes and shininess/glare. Satin finish if available would be my choice.

Terrazzo is quasi-epoxy and quasi-concrete. I am a fan of old school terrazzo done properly.
in the bylaws there is that 75% of the flooring needs to be rugged or similar.
I'd like to do polished concrete but in condo the polishing can't be wet and the cement subflooring form what others have told me can be a bit sloppy.

I am seriously considering the epoxy for my kitchen.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 07:31 PM   #5
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

Don't forget the fume issue. Epoxy apparently smells to high heaven for a bit
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 07:56 PM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Wow! Anything to do away w nasty grout, I'm in!
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 08:37 PM   #7
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
Don't forget the fume issue. Epoxy apparently smells to high heaven for a bit
I think there is a water based epoxy with low VOC(?)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 09:19 PM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
anyone have an epoxy floor put down in their condo kitchen or bathroom.

how about polished cement floor in condo (kitchen, bath etcetera)
Nice topic. If it's anything like what evil-G-nius put up, gotta do the whole floor or else it'll just look weird.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 06:50 AM   #9
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Funny my wife and I were just talking about this. Our walkout basement has 12"x12" ceramic tiles that we don't care for. The thought of breaking them up to put down something we like is not an option from a cost and labour point of view. A contractor we used to do some work for us suggested epoxy over top of tiles. Were are going to start looking at that option in the spring.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 07:07 AM   #10
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

If you're looking for flawless flooring, polished bare concrete is not what you want. You can polish it to be mirror smooth but will show every imperfection. A top coat would be needed for results like in the pictures above.

Also, if you are considering doing flooring... think about in floor heating.
Appreciate 1
antgenn319.00
      12-12-2022, 11:45 AM   #11
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Funny my wife and I were just talking about this. Our walkout basement has 12"x12" ceramic tiles that we don't care for. The thought of breaking them up to put down something we like is not an option from a cost and labour point of view. A contractor we used to do some work for us suggested epoxy over top of tiles. Were are going to start looking at that option in the spring.
The (slight) OCD in me would go nuts knowing there's another floor underneath, even though I know it's the most cost-effective/efficient route.

Whoever invented grouting should be tarred & feathered....what the heck is that nastiness?! Can't stand it
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615280.00
      12-12-2022, 12:30 PM   #12
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Whoever invented grouting should be tarred & feathered....what the heck is that nastiness?! Can't stand it
How else are those confined to a house supposed to train their immune response???
      12-12-2022, 12:47 PM   #13
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
How else are those confined to a house supposed to train their immune response???
I'm obviously not a home builder but couldn't they have invented something better than this grey nasty thing that attracts all types of gunk? Man....

Don't even get me started on those new age 'textured' tiles, wth are those?! Just asking for trouble. I just cleaned it yesterday w a power scrubber cuz my 'genius' builder thought it was a great idea to put those tiles in the bathroom. What a pita.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615280.00
      12-12-2022, 12:49 PM   #14
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Porcelain "Stone" tile is by far the most attractive option on the market right now in terms of appearance, longevity and price.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 09:13 PM   #15
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Grout is the way the Romans did it. It's good stuff.

Epoxy floor seems like it would look great the day it was installed. And would never look that good again. Comments?
Appreciate 1
antgenn319.00
      12-12-2022, 10:09 PM   #16
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Grout is the way the Romans did it. It's good stuff.

Epoxy floor seems like it would look great the day it was installed. And would never look that good again. Comments?
Re bold: said no one ever!

I'm new to this epoxy stuff but it looks amazing and smooth...I'd imagine it's a breeze to clean and upkeep.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 06:26 AM   #17
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Well, epoxy floors are regularly used in mechanic garages, so I'd say they stand up to abuse a bit better than tile.
I'm not sure how far things have come regarding brands and mixtures but I have installed a commercial epoxy floor in a past life.
Appreciate 2
overcoil3073.50