BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Rant about my in-laws’ materialistic friend

04-01-2020, 02:32 PM   #45
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I was paraphrasing a quote I heard from Chris Bangle...
Definitely out of time but probably still matters because the 3 is still the entry point in may ways.
It sucks, I wish it still was that way as I hate most SUVs.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      04-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #46
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
It sucks, I wish it still was that way as I hate most SUVs.
Exactly, I still cringe when I think about Porsche selling more SUVs and Sedans than sports cars.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
Rmtt8206.00
      04-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #47
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
i just went from a BMW to a toyota tacoma lol. the funny thing is that i actually paid more for the tacoma than i did for the m235i, but most people will perceive it as some kind of downgrade.

it is best to not let people like that get under your skin. just realize that by not needing validation from random dipshits around you are most likely living a much happier and fulfilling life than they ever could.
Yup! My truck costs more than any BMW I've ever owned. Actually costs more than any car I've ever owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Also, create a blog thread about your European delivery! I always love looking at those.

From looking at this full size truck that costs tens of thousands, his awesome guitar, leather boots and designer leather pants, one would think he has it all going for him
And he did! Until he got ratted out by some bitches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
According to sales figures and what dealers actually stock now the X2, X3 and X5 are now the most important vehicles for BMW unfortunately.

The 3 is the most iconic though.
BMW has been dead to me for a while, however their recent release of like 50 different cars, each one dumber looking than the previous is just the nail on the coffin for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 03:01 PM   #48
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Yup! My truck costs more than any BMW I've ever owned. Actually costs more than any car I've ever owned.

And he did! Until he got ratted out by some bitches!

BMW has been dead to me for a while, however their recent release of like 50 different cars, each one dumber looking than the previous is just the nail on the coffin for me.
You drive an F350, nothing BMW has ever done matches what you want and if anything what they are doing now is getting closer to your market than anytime in their history.
      04-01-2020, 03:31 PM   #49
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
You drive an F350, nothing BMW has ever done matches what you want and if anything what they are doing now is getting closer to your market than anytime in their history.
Nah. I have an F350 because I need it to pull our 32' rv. That's pretty much the only thing I use the truck for and maybe a home depot run. I still have a C7 vette as my fun car and a corolla for everything else.

I have absolutely no use for any of the stuff BMW is putting out. Honestly I don't even know what half the stuff is. I just keep seeing bastardized versions of their main lines like that tiny X6 looking thing.

I liked BMW because of how they drove... is their tagline still "ultimate driving machine"? My 2006 Z4M was probably the best car I ever owned. Let them bring out a NA V6 or V8 with a manual transmission and I may be a fan again. However that will never happen and if I was looking for a strictly luxury vehicle there are just way to many good options now days.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 05:54 PM   #50
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

OK there it is - Corvette/corolla drivers no longer feel they can support the BMW product line. I'll phone Munich and tell them to just shut it all down, we're done here.
Appreciate 2
      04-01-2020, 06:00 PM   #51
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
OK there it is - Corvette/corolla drivers no longer feel they can support the BMW product line. I'll phone Munich and tell them to just shut it all down, we're done here.
While you're at it make sure to punch Chris Bangle in the face, mkay thaaaaanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 06:40 PM   #52
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I used to work for a company that sold all types of difficult-to-impossible-to-get vehicles, with Ferraris being our specialty. At one Ferrari Club track day event a Ferrari owner let his friend take his 360 Modena onto the track, in which he promptly backed it into a guardrail.

My boss commented that how difficult of a conversation the friend was going to have when he went home and had to explain to his wife that they would need to take a second mortgage on their house to pay for the extensive repairs. My boss went on to say "you know the guy doesn't have any money; look at what he's driving." When I glanced over at the friend's car he had a brand new M3! To my boss owning an M3 was evidence he didn't really have any money. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.
      04-01-2020, 07:17 PM   #53
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Youthsonic: Why do you care so much? His opinion shouldn't matter at all as long as you like your car.

I worked in the ultra high net worth space (over 100M in investable assets) and I saw many clients driving regular/basic cars. It's usually the wealthy/poor (2-5M in assets) that likes to show off this money.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #54
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthsonic View Post
Hey everyone!

My in-laws recently visited a friend of theirs who retired not long ago with what I presume to be quite a bit of retirement savings. This friend relocated, bought a huge house, and owns a BMW SUV (not sure which one, as I have never seen it, and my inlaws couldn't give two shits about cars, really). Anyway, it came up in discussion that I was shopping for a new BMW, and this friend was asking my father in law, "Ooh, which one?!?" so he found my FB post about getting a new 330i xDrive and showed it to this person. Their response? "Oh, that's just the low end model. Guess he couldn't afford a real one."

FFS - I drive a 3-series because I LIKE the 3-series! This one is my 3rd. I don't really ever see myself leaving the 3's! I like the smaller cars, but I have a family, need 4 doors (as my wife drives a 370z), and my kid is 6'3", so I needed something with more headroom and legroom in the rear. I also specifically chose NOT to get a M340i, as I'll be getting an German-delivery M3 after my kiddo leaves for college in 3-4 years - and if I am going to own an M, I'd rather have an M vs an M-Sport, if that makes sense. The 5's kind of appeal to me, but after test-driving one a few weeks ago I stuck with the 3-series. They just seem more sporty, more agile, etc. The 7's and 8's are nice, just not practical for my needs right now in my life. I strongly considered a 2016 i8 (stupid impractical), and a 5 year old Aston Martin Rapide as they had them at the dealership I was at, but I really just wanted a new car under warranty. Also: I work from home, so I really don't get to get out and stretch the legs of a super fast car right now.

It's not about what I can or can't afford - I am lucky enough to essentially be able to afford any car I want within reason. I was in a situation where I needed to get a new car faster than I would have liked, so I didn't have time to custom order. So instead I set my own budget, looked around, test drove many cars, I CHOSE to drive 2 hours each way to BUY the 330i I have simply because it's the car I wanted. It had every package I wanted, and I LOVE the Blue Ridge Mountain metallic color more than I thought I would.

Anyway, some people are just asshats, I guess.
People like that are just badge whores.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      04-01-2020, 07:56 PM   #55
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

My wife has a cousin who is totally materialistic that it’s unbearable to have a conversation with her. My wife has this group of friends (which also includes said cousin) all she talks about is what she bought (high end designer stuff) where she plans on traveling, and what she plans on buying when she’s traveling there. The conversations can be about current events or random bullshit but she will always turn the conversation back to herself and her shopping. I happen to find out the scoop because one of the other gals I’m close with and she can’t stand listening to her either, she puts up with her cause of he relation to my wife)
If someone happens to buy something new that may or may not be better than something she has.... she has to “call and raise” and make sure she goes out and gets something better.
None of the gals are about status except her. She makes it a competition but she’s the only one competing. Very high maintenance and shallow. It’s no wonder she’s in her 40’s and single without ever being in a serious relationship.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50