BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Frozen Grey II metallic detailing products help

08-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #1
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Frozen Grey II metallic detailing products help

Does anyone have any recommendations for detailing products to buy to carry out a new car protection which are suitable for the Frozen Grey II metallic paintwork?

Also some advise on the best products for the car cleaning maintenance moving forward.

I will be getting mine a few weeks time so want to start buying some products in the meantime.
      08-05-2019, 05:35 PM   #2
Stevej2316
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20MAW73 View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for detailing products to buy to carry out a new car protection which are suitable for the Frozen Grey II metallic paintwork?

Also some advise on the best products for the car cleaning maintenance moving forward.

I will be getting mine a few weeks time so want to start buying some products in the meantime.
Dr Beasley products are great I recommend getting their starter pack off of amazon. It's a great way to try out the products. I have the frozen grey and it works great. Everyone says how hard it is to clean but its really easy.
Appreciate 1
F20MAW73874.50
      08-05-2019, 05:38 PM   #3
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevej2316 View Post
Quote:

Dr Beasley products are great I recommend getting their starter pack off of amazon. It's a great way to try out the products. I have the frozen grey and it works great. Everyone says how hard it is to clean but its really easy.
Thanks so much. I will check this out.

The internet has scared me to death with this paintwork so hoping it will turn out easy enough with a good maintenance regime and the right products.
      08-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
Stevej2316
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The internet has scared me to death with this paintwork so hoping it will turn out easy enough with a good maintenance regime and the right products.
Yeah it had me all worried too but it is really simple.

The Dr Beasley's stuff is really easy. The first time took a bit of time just because of the additional treatment stuff but after that time really quite simple. Plus not having to wax or buff it makes it way easier.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #5
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah it had me all worried too but it is really simple.

The Dr Beasley's stuff is really easy. The first time took a bit of time just because of the additional treatment stuff but after that time really quite simple. Plus not having to wax or buff it makes it way easier.
Thanks I'm feeling a little more at ease with the paint work choice now regarding the maintenance.

I think I will go to a professional for a detail protection who can put a good base level sealant on there and then I can take care of it myself from then on.
      08-07-2019, 08:58 AM   #6
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 Acura NSX, '20 BMW Z4M40i

Hi is one of these the kit you bought? The first one looks to be more/larger than the starter kit; and the second one the starter kit. I am thinking just buy the larger more expensive one - thanks for your advice here as will definitely try this out once car is built!

Ted

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Beasleys-M...ct_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Beasleys-M...web_7996865011
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #7
Stevej2316
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedbay View Post
Hi is one of these the kit you bought? The first one looks to be more/larger than the starter kit; and the second one the starter kit. I am thinking just buy the larger more expensive one - thanks for your advice here as will definitely try this out once car is built!

Ted

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Beasleys-M...ct_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Beasleys-M...web_7996865011
Ted the one I got was the second one. It was a great way to try it out plus you got the bucket and all the other stuff too. There's enough there to probably last 6 month or so. I also only use this bucket and sponges for the matte paint and use separate for the other cars so I don't get cross contamination. Hope that helps
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #8
Tedbay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 Acura NSX, '20 BMW Z4M40i

Thanks Steve! great advice not to mix buckets! my current bucket is super high gloss Zaino related and had not thought about mixing to avoid all gloss. Will get the starter you mentioned. thanks again.

Ted
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 01:49 PM   #9
blaird03
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M40i, TTS, Abarth

Had the frozen grey for just over a month.
I didn’t get any ceramic coating this time.
The paintwork is easy to look after - not anywhere as bad as I thought.
Just using a citrus pre cleaner, good snow foam and then pure shampoo and then a quick top up of Gyeon wetcoat - not a matte product but easy to use in winter and adds a very little satin finish.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 10:34 PM   #10
BMW003E
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS, M2C, & X5

I've had my Frozen Blue E92M3 since new. I've also used both the BMW Matt Paint Products and Dr. Beasley's matt paint products to great effect. I typically do a thorough detail with the BMW stuff and then use Dr. Beasley's as a quick detail. When it was my only car, I drove it year-round, including through some heavy snow storms. Either product will work wonders.

As others have said, the frozen paint is fairly easy to maintain. There's no waxing or polishing. Just resist the urge to try to correct any scratches, if they happen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-30-2020, 04:18 PM   #11
gasnet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Dr Beasley's Matte paint care

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasnet View Post
Save your money and use this. Works great for my Frozen Gray
Used this product today. Its Excellent. Expensive but worth it.
Dr Beasley's Matte paint care kit.
Attached Images

2016 Audi A7 RIP / 19 Genesis G80 RIP
2020 Z4 M40i / 2022 X3
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2020, 07:06 AM   #12
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Reviving an old thread! Anyone know of a UK supplier of the Dr Beasley’s matte kit. All I can find is the odd one or two individual bottles

The amazon link is no longer available
      06-23-2020, 09:47 AM   #13
Stevej2316
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
Reviving an old thread! Anyone know of a UK supplier of the Dr Beasley's matte kit. All I can find is the odd one or two individual bottles

The amazon link is no longer available
You may want to try directly from there website www.drbeasleys.com. Not sure if they ship to the UK. But worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #14
gasnet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Sladester100;26348066]Reviving an old thread! Anyone know of a UK supplier of the Dr Beasley’s matte kit. All I can find is the odd one or two individual bottles

The amazon link is no longer available [/QUOT Thats the color i wanted.Not available in US. I have Frozen Gray. I use Dr Beasley's also. Its great. Skip the Kit. I can send you some to UK if you send Me Sheridans Irish Liquor.
2016 Audi A7 RIP / 19 Genesis G80 RIP
2020 Z4 M40i / 2022 X3
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 08:28 PM   #15
TheStanster
Registered
United_States
Rep

Garage List
After I placed my order for this amazing color, I started to look into care of it. I was convinced I’d made a terrible mistake. I was very worried about doing anything to it.

Once I found some products that seemed to check all the boxes from the perspective of BMW requirements. I gave them a go. I will say that BMW was a bit frustrating on this. They consistently recommended using their bug remover as soon as possible, so I bought a couple of bottles, and upon preparing to apply it, found that the directions contraindicated its use on matte finish paint. They have no valid product (at least here in the US).

I’ve had very good luck with products from The Chemical Guys in the US. They appear to have a UK presence. https://www.chemicalguysuk.co.uk/

I use their product for matte paint “Meticulous Matte Auto Wash”, and the Torq 8 foamer to wash my Frozen Grey Metallic II finish.

https://www.chemicalguysuk.co.uk/pro...nt-vinyl-care/

But, the most amazing product I love from them is them is their woolly mammoth drying towels.

I can go from finishing the wash process, to pulling out this towel and within a few minutes have the entire car dry with no spots, and plenty of dryness to spare (no wringing needed - it absorbs it all in one go).

https://www.chemicalguysuk.co.uk/sho...towel-25-x-36/

One other product that I really rely on, is Wizards Wipe Down for Matte Paint. Not sure of the availability in the UK (link to it on Amazon.co.uk below, but it showed unavailable when I looked). Although I’m in Houston Texas, my business is in a very rural area. So, driving anytime around dusk, or later, results in a horrid mess on the grill/front, side mirrors, and windscreen from insects. This product is amazing for being able to do quick cleanup on those areas, between washes.

https://wizardsproducts.com/products/wipe-down

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wizards-012.../dp/B00BI29SAM

So, my regimen is usually to use Wizards Wipe Down for a mess on the front during the week, and Meticulous Matte Auto Wash on the weekend, if it needs a wash. Full pass with the woolly mammoth, and of course absolutely no wax or fillers. It really is pretty simple, once I got over being scared of it, and found the right products.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Tickler19.50