BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2020-202x Toyota Supra

06-19-2020, 09:33 AM   #1673
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Well Toyota dealers are doing their best not to sell Supras.

I called on 5 dealers in NY - all had same answers:
- No test drive until you agree to purchase the car with approved credit app
- No discount off MSRP

Then companies wonder why these cars sit on the lot causing automakers to eventually discontinue them. I hope everyone gets rid of dealerships and goes Tesla route.
It's the same garbage the Ford dealers pulled with the Focus RS.

I went and drove a new Mustang GT, Camaro SS 1LE, and new STi, back at the very end of '17 because I wanted to buy a new car.

Go to two different Ford dealers, they wouldn't let me drive the car unless I had already signed the paperwork.........even then he said, "Once you sign the paperwork, I can let you drive it around the block, and if you don't like it we can come back and tear up the paperwork."

Sorry chief, I'm not signing the paperwork on a $45k car that I can't take for a test drive.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      06-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #1674
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

It's absolutely NUTS. There is a GT350 down the road, the ford dealer won't let me drive it. It's 4 years old,it's not a Ferrari. How do I know I want the car if I cannot drive it??
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      06-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #1675
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theEZV View Post
Strange, I see 7 cars listed below 50k on cars.com on the East Coast. A bunch of others for a little over.
Yes im sure i can go to NJ and buy one if I was 100% sold on the car. I was hoping to test drive one locally rather than waste $50 on tolls and whole day doing the cat/mouse act with dealer.

All these local dealers to me have at least 3 each collecting dust.
The lady yesterday told me its a RACECAR so you can’t test drive it LOL. 😂

Don’t even get me started on the Ford dealers with the GT350s.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #1676
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

A quick look at Autotrader shows 573 new listing nationwide.

Locally, within 100 miles of Houston we have 6. 4 still being listed at MSRP and 2 with $2k and $4k off.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #1677
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I've said this before, but I understand the dealer trepidation in providing test drives. It costs the dealer time and wear on the vehicles. Plus the big issue really is usually the consumer doesn't reward the dealer who does provide the test drives and will go buy the car from the dealer who didn't provide the test drive as soon as they see a $50 lower price. That's why the dealer wants some assurance that the time will be well spent.

I also would demand a test drive if I were buying a vehicle. The thing is I'd work with the dealer to assure them that I'd value the fact that they provided said test drive. While I wouldn't sign anything, I'd have a discussion as to how I display I'm serious and would appreciate their providing a test drive. I perceive a big part of the problem is many consumers feel entitled to a test drive and will openly say the test drive doesn't influence WHERE they buy the car.
      06-19-2020, 12:13 PM   #1678
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
I've said this before, but I understand the dealer trepidation in providing test drives. It costs the dealer time and wear on the vehicles. Plus the big issue really is usually the consumer doesn't reward the dealer who does provide the test drives and will go buy the car from the dealer who didn't provide the test drive as soon as they see a $50 lower price. That's why the dealer wants some assurance that the time will be well spent.
This is why the dealer model doesn’t work at all.

Tesla gave me 1hr test drive alone and their cars are way faster than a Supra even.

In 3years, Toyota will make their typical statement about Supra being discontinued due to low sales. Well how many clients did your dealers turn off with no test drives and no haggle attitude.

This is not some rare car that will be bought with only Zero miles. If it has 50-100miles on the odometer - that should be acceptable. Not to mention they have 2021 models coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 12:22 PM   #1679
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
This is why the dealer model doesn't work at all.

Tesla gave me 1hr test drive alone and their cars are way faster than a Supra even.

In 3years, Toyota will make their typical statement about Supra being discontinued due to low sales. Well how many clients did your dealers turn off with no test drives and no haggle attitude.

This is not some rare car that will be bought with only Zero miles. If it has 50-100miles on the odometer - that should be acceptable. Not to mention they have 2021 models coming soon.
We all would want a lower price for any vehicle that was used to provide test drives so I don't even have to ask you. That simple reality, along with consumers putting near-zero value in a dealer providing a test drive is what is behind these decisions. All consumers have to do is somehow provide confidence to the dealer that they would give business to the dealer that provides the test drive and you'll likely be handed the keys. Further, you can negotiate the terms of the sale (price) before the test drive. That would display your seriousness and show loyalty to the dealer providing the test drive.

If you find value in a test drive then show it and reward the dealer that provides one.
      06-19-2020, 12:39 PM   #1680
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

That's true from a dealership's perspective. Lot's of tire kickers or joy riders ruining the gig for more seriously interested people.

In fact, you can't (legally) give these modern performance cars a proper test drive unless it's on a track. Sure you can see how well they handle potholes or 90 degree right turns, I'm sure the dealer would love that.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      06-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #1681
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
That's true from a dealership's perspective. Lot's of tire kickers or joy riders ruining the gig for more seriously interested people.

In fact, you can't (legally) give these modern performance cars a proper test drive unless it's on a track. Sure you can see how well they handle potholes or 90 degree right turns, I'm sure the dealer would love that.
Actually I've been considering a 2021 Supra 3.0 and am genuinely curious what it's like to just drive down the highway at 75mph. One of the things I appreciate with my BMW is its long legs. I'd need to feel comfortable the Supra shares this trait. Also, I'm curious as to what the ride is like. So part of my assurance to my local dealer would include that I'm already confident in the Supra's speed and handling... I just need to gain a comfort level in what it is like during normal cruising.
      06-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #1682
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This statement applies to most cars currently being sold, just not the Zupra
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      06-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #1683
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I agree there are a lot of tyre kickers and I may well be one i really don't know about a gt350 unless i drive one , and a good decent drive at that. It's a very unique car. It's chicken and egg.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 04:25 PM   #1684
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

yeah kinda sucks they don't really allow test drives. maybe they should come up with a plan like $100 to test drive the vehicle for 15 minutes. If you buy the car you get that money taken off the list price?

I can see some buyers being very picky though. I mean if a new gt3/911 turbo was on a lot and had over 200 miles on it there would be some questions and i'd probably rather just order new.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 04:35 PM   #1685
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

they can always do a "supra" tour like M town where the MFG takes their own cars and allow people who are interested to sing up and drive it on a predetermine course
A lot of my friends became BMW owners because of events like BMW UDE and M town
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #1686
supra93
Colonel
Rep

So not all dealers are the same. One guy from CA said all they did was take this DL and insurance info and just gave him the keys for a hour test drive.

A guy from VA said his dealer needed to run his credit before letting him go for a spin on his own.

Mean while Toyota Autonation in Houston wouldn't even let me sit in one.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 04:48 PM   #1687
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

BMW here have a policy of not allowing test drives of M cars by yourself, but they are happy to ride along with you.

When I was looking for my M6 I drove a pair of M4s (one MT, one DCT) from non BMW dealerships and both of them just gave me the keys
      06-20-2020, 04:52 PM   #1688
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

I test drove a 911 S alone with my wife.

None of the above cars are special... Dealers just suck.
      06-20-2020, 05:03 PM   #1689
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
I test drove a 911 S alone with my wife.

In my experience Porsche dealers are the most friendly. They have a much more narrow market they sell to, so in my opinion the dealers do whatever they can to maximize the sale potential of each customer.

When I flirted with selling my 128i I decided to go to the Porsche dealer and see if I could look at a 718. I’m a young looking 30 year old and the salesman let me take the car alone and said “be back in an hour please”. To some extent it worked. While I can’t buy one right now, my plan is now to work towards getting in the P car game some day.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 05:24 PM   #1690
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Everyone sucks to some extent, but I believe the problem around test drives is the customers suck. They cry about challenges obtaining a test drive, then openly admit they have zero allegiance to the dealer that provided the test drive. They're all-too happy to save $50 and go back to the dealer that denied the test drive. If dealers saw value in providing test drives they'd be waving keys at people simply driving past the dealership. 💡
      06-21-2020, 07:33 PM   #1691
thormessiah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
BMW here have a policy of not allowing test drives of M cars by yourself, but they are happy to ride along with you.

When I was looking for my M6 I drove a pair of M4s (one MT, one DCT) from non BMW dealerships and both of them just gave me the keys
Drove an m2 competition while I was waiting on my car to get back and they would’ve let me test drive an m240i and m340i had they had one
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 08:19 AM   #1692
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
....was behind a black one yesterday, has some serious road presence from the rear. The driver was manually shifting whereby creating excessive overrun burble on downshifts. It got annoying really quickly. This automotive trends needs to stop.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:20 AM   #1693
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Everyone sucks to some extent, but I believe the problem around test drives is the customers suck. They cry about challenges obtaining a test drive, then openly admit they have zero allegiance to the dealer that provided the test drive. They're all-too happy to save $50 and go back to the dealer that denied the test drive. If dealers saw value in providing test drives they'd be waving keys at people simply driving past the dealership. 💡
Dealers also need to not suck. When I purchased my boring commuter car last year, that my girlfriend now drives, agreed to a price and trade-in........go back to the finance guy to wrap everything up and he comes back with:

"You've been approved at 8.99%."

"You have my credit score in front of you, yes? You see my income, yes? Do you want to tell me the correct number or do I need to leave?"

All of a sudden it matched the Pen Fed rate. The blatant attempts to fuck over there customers is why most people feel no loyalty toward any dealer.

On the other hand, when I special ordered my '13 Mustang GT Track Pack (I wanted a base, not a premium). I went and test drove from a dealer that was a perfect location between my house and work.

I called the sales guy the next week and said, "I'd like to work with you guys, dealership is in a perfect location if I need something. Here is exactly what I want, call me back with a price that will make me not even bother shopping around, and I'll be there 10 minutes later with a deposit check and we can order it."

Called me back with an awesome price and I went and ordered it. Even came in a month earlier than predicted.
Appreciate 1
exE36M3487.50
      06-27-2020, 12:40 PM   #1694
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Pricing for Canada

http://media.toyota.ca/releases/leap...oyota-gr-supra

Quote:
Leap Ahead, In The 2021 Toyota GR Supra

Toyota Canada unveils 2021 line-up and pricing for the authentic sports car that serves up driving pleasure at every turn

TORONTO, Ontario – June 17, 2020 – The love of driving runs deep for many – and the performance-first Toyota GR Supra embraces that passion. For 2021, Toyota Canada offers up the GR Supra in three exciting flavours at made-to-move prices, all designed to make the true car lover’s heart race in anticipation of the drive ahead.

“The GR Supra is honed on the track but equally at home on the streets, and this year it’s more fun to drive than ever before,” said Cyril Dimitris, Vice President, Toyota Canada Inc. “For 2021, the GR Supra gets an overhaul that adds choice and performance that stress the value of getting behind the wheel of Toyota’s quickest, most exciting sports car.”

The upgrades start with the 2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0. This year, Toyota rebuilds the engine – adding a new piston design and dual-branch exhaust manifold to improve heat management. These and other enhancements boost output on this model’s turbocharged 3.0-litre inline-six, from 335 horsepower to a peak 382-horsepower. GR Supra 3.0 drivers can expect to shave their 0-96 km/h time to a blistering 3.9 seconds. At the same time, this more powerful GR Supra 3.0 is expected to achieve a fuel efficiency rating of 9.4L / 100 km (city/highway combined).

The 2020 GR Supra enjoyed exceptional handling – but even exceptional can be improved. For 2021, Toyota retuned the GR Supra 3.0 chassis to boost roll resistance and enhance cornering stability. Mechanical fine-tuning was enhanced with upgrades to various onboard digital systems, including the Adaptive Variable Suspension and Vehicle Stability Control. As a result, the 2021 GR Supra 3.0 is more stable through quick transitions such as compound turns.

This year, the GR Supra 3.0 is joined by an all-new model – the GR Supra 2.0. This entry-model Supra offers an intermediate choice between the Toyota 86 and GR Supra 3.0, providing Canadian sports car enthusiasts with a range of choices.

The 2021 GR Supra 2.0 is built around a 255-horsepower inline-four turbocharged engine. With a projected 0-96 km/h of 5.0 seconds, it’ll be the second quickest vehicle in the Toyota stable. This is achieved in part through thoughtful weight reduction, which shaves more than 200 pounds off the GR Supra 3.0 configuration while maintaining that model’s impressive weight distribution.

Regardless of powertrain, driving excitement starts before the engine is fired up, as the GR Supra sports impressive style that immediately conveys its capabilities. Styling features scream performance, even as they help the GR Supra live up to its promise. The wide grille is flanked by large air intakes that channel air directly to the turbocharged engine. The “double-bubble” cabin roof pays homage to the design of the famed Toyota 2000 GT even as it reduces drag without sacrificing headroom.

Inside, the driver-focused cabin channels the feel of a single-seater racing car, while creating an open, roomy feel for whoever is lucky enough to be along for the ride. The seats feature integrated head restraints and adjustable side bolsters while the centre console is fitted with kneepads for extra support when leaning into corners.

The Toyota GR Supra is also a technology showcase, GR Supra 3.0 models feature a four year subscription to Toyota Supra Connect – a convenient connectivity and peace-of-mind package that includes concierge assistance, Vehicle Finder, Remote Lock/Unlock and other features – all accessed through the Toyota Supra Connect App.

Safety is always built into a Toyota, which is why the GR Supra lineup features automatic braking with pedestrian detection, forward collision warning, an integrated back-up camera, lane departure warning, full-speed adaptive cruise control, parking sonar, blind spot monitoring with rear cross traffic alert, adaptive front lighting and automatic high beams, and other safety systems to help keep everyone safe – driver, passenger and other users of the road.

Pricing for the 2021 GR Supra lineup is as follows:

The 2021 Toyota GR Supra 2.0 (starting MSRP: $56,390) reduces the cost of getting behind the wheel of a Supra by more than $8,000 when compared to the least expensive 2020 model. In addition to those already mentioned, features of note include a display audio system, digital gauge cluster, 18” alloy wheels, adaptive steering, launch control, parking sensors, and Alcantara-clad seating.

The 2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium (starting MSRP: $67,690) takes the 2020 model to all new levels of power and performance, even as it adds new style and convenience, including front brake calipers emblazoned with the SUPRA logo and a wireless charger for personal electronics. Other standard features on this model include a 12-speaker 425-watt JBL Audio System, Navigation, a Head Up Display, 19” alloy wheels, leather seating, an Adaptive Variable Suspension system, Active Differential, and 14-way power adjustable seats.

This model may also be ordered as the 2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 A91 Edition (starting MSRP: $68,890), sporting matte black 19” alloy wheels, carbon fiber mirror caps, an integrated rear spoiler, and a unique body side graphic. This model features a unique black/blue interior, paired with a choice of two body colours: Refraction (unique to the Special Edition) and Nocturnal.

The 2021 Toyota GR Supra goes on sale June 17, 2020 at Toyota Dealers across Canada. For complete and up to date details and specifications, visit www.toyota.ca/supra .
Appreciate 0