BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Rubber Tires — A Dirty Business

05-11-2020, 01:39 AM   #1
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Exclamation Rubber Tires — A Dirty Business

05-12-2020, 01:47 PM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

fahq
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

This is horrific and tragic AF! At the very least compensate these poor people so they may live a decent life.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
MKSixer34171.50
      05-12-2020, 02:18 PM   #4
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Extremely sad.

The thing I always wonder when I see videos like this is; why on earth do they have children. I mean, if you can't feed yourself, and can barely live, why bring a child into this world under those conditions?

I just don't understand it.

Last edited by VisualEcho; 05-12-2020 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      05-12-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Extremely sad.

The thing I always wonder when I see videos like this is; why on earth do they have children. I mean, if you can't fee yourself, and can barely live, why bring a child into this world under those conditions?

I agree with this sentiment in 1st world countries. We’re so far separated from the mindset of people in 3rd world countries, it’s unimaginable.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2020, 03:59 PM   #6
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Extremely sad.

The thing I always wonder when I see videos like this is; why on earth do they have children. I mean, if you can't feed yourself, and can barely live, why bring a child into this world under those conditions?

1. lack of education - what you know about family planning is what you have learnt growing up, consuming information. Now imagine growing up with no access to education, library, internet, tv, etc.

2. underemployment/no employment coupled with no other forms of entertainment leave people with very little to nothing to do so they are home essentially doing nothing (See point 1 above)

3. cultural norms - in almost every culture, having children is a milestone in one's life. More children = greater chance of keeping the family name alive. Lots of old traditions and no understanding of how others live.

4. poverty is so bad that you need several people working full time in one household just to survive. Sure food costs increase incrementally per person but things like firewood, rent, etc. are fixed per household.

5. no access to condoms/birth control/sterilization

There was documentary that my gf saw where a group westerns spent a month living in a poor village that was far from any major city in some third world country. They spoke with the kids and asked them what they wanted to be when they grew up...the kids looked confused and responded they were going to be farmers - they didn't know of any other occupations.

we will never experience that level of poverty in a first world country - here you can be homeless but still have access to services, shelters, etc. You can even beg for money to help get by. In poor countries, none of that exists. You're on your own.
Appreciate 2
      05-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

While it's sad, is anyone surprised? I mean isn't a lot of stuff we buy produced by people in 3rd world countries? Didn't we have people jumping out the windows of the foxconn factory?

What I found more surprising is that tires are made from natural rubber. I thought surely with the volume of tires pumped out they would be using some kind of synthetic rubber.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2020, 04:58 PM   #8
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
1. lack of education - what you know about family planning is what you have learnt growing up, consuming information. Now imagine growing up with no access to education, library, internet, tv, etc.

2. underemployment/no employment coupled with no other forms of entertainment leave people with very little to nothing to do so they are home essentially doing nothing (See point 1 above)

3. cultural norms - in almost every culture, having children is a milestone in one's life. More children = greater chance of keeping the family name alive. Lots of old traditions and no understanding of how others live.

4. poverty is so bad that you need several people working full time in one household just to survive. Sure food costs increase incrementally per person but things like firewood, rent, etc. are fixed per household.

5. no access to condoms/birth control/sterilization

There was documentary that my gf saw where a group westerns spent a month living in a poor village that was far from any major city in some third world country. They spoke with the kids and asked them what they wanted to be when they grew up...the kids looked confused and responded they were going to be farmers - they didn't know of any other occupations.

we will never experience that level of poverty in a first world country - here you can be homeless but still have access to services, shelters, etc. You can even beg for money to help get by. In poor countries, none of that exists. You're on your own.
All valid points, I just can't help thinking it's too obvious that if you're struggling then don't make it harder on yourself. I'm not so sure you need any sort of an education for that, all you have to do is look around you.

Far be it from me to judge though, I'm not in that circumstance, I'm on the outside looking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
While it's sad, is anyone surprised? I mean isn't a lot of stuff we buy produced by people in 3rd world countries? Didn't we have people jumping out the windows of the foxconn factory?

What I found more surprising is that tires are made from natural rubber. I thought surely with the volume of tires pumped out they would be using some kind of synthetic rubber.
You're absolutely right, not surprised at all.

And I was exactly the same, thinking wow, it's 2020 and they can't make tires out of 100% synthetic materials? Then again, everything carries a cost, and that's probably the root of it, either purely synthetic rubber is too expensive to manufacture to the standard of natural rubber, or the effect on the environment would be too heavy.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 06:31 PM   #9
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I would gladly pay more per tire if I thought it was going to go to the people in that vid; but nowadays people are switching distributors or brands over tiny margins, so even $5 per tire might make them feel 'uncompetitive'. All part of the 'Walmartization' of America; I hope the covid at least gets people thinking harder about buying things made locally by people who are getting a decent wage.
Appreciate 3
TboneS54989.50
MKSixer34171.50
      07-09-2020, 03:49 AM   #10
Kitzhabersucks
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi 2017 X3 35i

Being the end consumer allows for these people to have an existence that far exceeds what they had before they were farming rubber for commercial consumption.
Now they have cell phones, motorcycles, clothing. God help them if they have television.
What would they have WITHOUT those jobs??
I don't feel guilty when I spend money I worked hard to earn, nor am I consumed by virtue signaling.
There is certainly many aspects of life that are unfair to a large population of the world.
In the developed countries there are inequities that may never be balanced because the wealth is controlled by so few. More so in underdeveloped nations.

With the limited abilities of influence you have in your lifetime, I'd suggest doing the best you can to improve your life, as well as those you can touch both directly and indirectly.
Guilt? It's an ugly thing.

Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 10:02 AM   #11
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

https://www.gapminder.org/dollar-street/
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #12
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

There are very few industries that treat the producers of their base ingredients with respect. How do you think the Roman Empire was built, the British Empire and the US? As illustrated, Multi-National Corporations are built upon the backs of those that gather raw ingredients, make basic components and earn minimal wages. Those Sustainability Statements are written as PR and Marketing Campaigns to make consumers feel better about buying their products. I think that it's called trickle down economics and it's like the latex dripping from those trees.
      07-09-2020, 10:36 AM   #13
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Who would have ever thought?!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:09 PM   #14
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitzhabersucks View Post
Being the end consumer allows for these people to have an existence that far exceeds what they had before they were farming rubber for commercial consumption.
Now they have cell phones, motorcycles, clothing. God help them if they have television.
What would they have WITHOUT those jobs??
I don't feel guilty when I spend money I worked hard to earn, nor am I consumed by virtue signaling.
There is certainly many aspects of life that are unfair to a large population of the world.
In the developed countries there are inequities that may never be balanced because the wealth is controlled by so few. More so in underdeveloped nations.

With the limited abilities of influence you have in your lifetime, I'd suggest doing the best you can to improve your life, as well as those you can touch both directly and indirectly.
Guilt? It's an ugly thing.

Don't trip and cut yourself on that edge bro
Also, a meme from 2009? nice bait
Appreciate 2
      07-09-2020, 03:09 PM   #15
Kitzhabersucks
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Don't trip and cut yourself on that edge bro
Also, a meme from 2009? nice bait
Sorry about that sand in your panties....bro
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 03:25 PM   #16
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sounds like somebody is still recovering from being emasculated by a leftie, circa 2009 or so? But don't worry Kitzie, those third worlders are probably real grateful to you for elevating their quality of life, giving them a luxurious existence squandering your hard earned money.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 06:57 PM   #17
Kitzhabersucks
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Sounds like somebody is still recovering from being emasculated by a leftie, circa 2009 or so? But don't worry Kitzie, those third worlders are probably real grateful to you for elevating their quality of life, giving them a luxurious existence squandering your hard earned money.
Glad you agree, you self rightous bedwetting dweeb
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #18
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Why do they have children? They don't use contraceptives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 10:01 PM   #19
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
This is on step above slave labor. Disgusting.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
yco5722.50
      07-11-2020, 05:43 AM   #20
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Does anyone believe that this is restricted only to the tire industry?

The living conditions shown, while poor compared to the developed world, is similar to that in many regions of the world.

This is why manufacturing has moved overseas to these countries- with the very low standard of living, the wages are low as well. And it's nit only manufacturing companies to blame - as the consumer chasing the cheapest price has driven them to do this. Lots of people talk about wanting companies to improve working/living conditions, but when it comes time to purchase a tire, T-shirt or TV, they go for the cheapest version.

In travels through Central/South America, Africa and Asia, I've seen similar living conditions are the norm for large segments of the population.

These folks in the video actually have income and can afford to purchase food rather than scavenge for it. In fact, the working conditions are quite improved if you compare to those who scavenge electronic parts in scrap piles in Ghana.

Be thankful that you live where you do, and that you can afford a BMW. There are Billions on this planet with us who could never even imagine such luxuries.
Appreciate 4
yco5722.50
shimmy232330.00
      07-11-2020, 06:03 AM   #21
Kitzhabersucks
Banned
United_States
Rep

If you find yourself troubled by this "revelation" it's time to do something about it, or shut up about it. Too much virtue signaling and NO ACTION

Rubber products? Stop using them
Mined metals? No tires for your car anyway, right?
Prescribed drugs manufactured in China? Good bye
Your damn cell phone? Toss it today

Otherwise you just sound like a basement dwelling, gender confused, civil illiterate.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 08:24 AM   #22
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Now that is some balanced logical thinking there, Francis - if it isn't fair, you either have to agree 100% or totally boycot it all. That actually sounds just like the naive and uninformed kids shouting at reporters from the college lawn. But I'm too busy bewetting to really get out much and see the big picture as clearly as you do.....
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50