BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Poll: Where do you get your news?

View Poll Results: Where do you get your news?
CNN 49 35.00%
BBC 42 30.00%
Le Monde Diplomatique 2 1.43%
Los Angeles Times 7 5.00%
New York Times 21 15.00%
Reuters 27 19.29%
Salon.com 5 3.57%
The Washington Post 14 10.00%
Slate Magazine 4 2.86%
World Press Review 3 2.14%
Alter.Net 2 1.43%
Wall Street Journal 28 20.00%
Barron's 4 2.86%
Al Jazeera 10 7.14%
Truthout 3 2.14%
The Nation 3 2.14%
Free Speech TV 2 1.43%
Project Censored 2 1.43%
Media Matters 2 1.43%
The Daily Howler 2 1.43%
Adbusters 2 1.43%
Center for Media and Democracy's PR Watch 2 1.43%
Fox News 57 40.71%
MSNBC 14 10.00%
Local News 23 16.43%
NPR 19 13.57%
PBS News Hour 8 5.71%
Institute for Public Accuracy 2 1.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

05-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #67
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Where much has been written about Fox News and Roger Ailes, perhaps it's a distraction for this:

http://freebeacon.com/columns/ready-to-smirk/

Note that they own NBC...
      05-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #68
SoCal235
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Where much has been written about Fox News and Roger Ailes, perhaps it's a distraction for this:

http://freebeacon.com/columns/ready-to-smirk/

Note that they own NBC...
At least NBC didn't hack the phone of a dead 13 year old. Fox News has the DNA of News Corp all over it, not just Roger Ailles. The Faux News fans here can shout from the rooftops how much they think MSNBC or NPR are biased, but that will never be worse than the absolute horrific behavior News Corp has exhibited. I have no doubt their US counterpart is just as unethical.

edit: Please Faux News fans, defend the actions of News Corp.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #69
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal235 View Post
At least NBC didn't hack the phone of a dead 13 year old. Fox News has the DNA of News Corp all over it, not just Roger Ailles. The Faux News fans here can shout from the rooftops how much they think MSNBC or NPR are biased, but that will never be worse than the absolute horrific behavior News Corp has exhibited. I have no doubt their US counterpart is just as unethical.

edit: Please Faux News fans, defend the actions of News Corp.
Perhaps you missed that whole Trayvon thing, where NBC edited the 911 call recording? Or where they rigged the Chevy pickups to explode in their "expose?"
      05-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #70
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Perhaps you missed that whole Trayvon thing, where NBC edited the 911 call recording?
A mistake which they retracted, and apologized for. Fired the two guys who made the mistake. A professional news organization. When does Fauxnews apologize? Fire someone for a mistake? Can you cite even one example?

Strictly a propaganda machine.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 05-29-2014 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #71
SoCal235
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235

Faux News, where "Some people say" is regarded as a legitimate news source.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #72
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy
Quote:
Perhaps you missed that whole Trayvon thing, where NBC edited the 911 call recording?
A mistake which they retracted, and apologized for. Fired the two guys who made the mistake. A professional news organization. When does Fauxnews apologize? Fire someone for a mistake? Can you cite even one example?

Which they wouldn't have done if they hadn't got caught. Not sure how you turn this around to a FoxNews problem?
      05-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #73
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Is NBC becoming objective??:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...der_obama.html
      06-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #74
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I stumbled across Aljazeera America and FSTV the other day. I really enjoyed the programs I watched. I found the more comprehensive coverage they provided, as opposed to inflammatory soundbites, pleasant. It was clear from the content provided that they had a point of view, but the manner of presentation didn't fail to ask me to develop my own opinion rather than simply buying theirs. That alone is a plus in my book.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #75
thendless
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325

Been watching RT recently, have found a lot of their programming more interesting than the others I have seen
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #76
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thendless
Been watching RT recently, have found a lot of their programming more interesting than the others I have seen
From Vladimir's mouth to your ears:

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wo...-clears-it-up/
      08-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #77
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

This article reminded me of this thread - just in case anyone is doubtful about which way the mainstream media tilts:

http://eagnews.org/1000-member-secre...oup-uncovered/
      08-31-2014, 11:09 AM   #78
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post

Wasn't a mistake...it was deliberate. And they apologized because it greatly affected the context of the situation...and because they needed to try and boost their already low ratings.

MSNBC is to the left what is Fox is to the right.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 03:24 PM   #79
Ben2k9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
Wasn't a mistake...it was deliberate. And they apologized because it greatly affected the context of the situation...and because they needed to try and boost their already low ratings.

MSNBC is to the left what is Fox is to the right.
Except MSNBC has no viewers and is 85% opinion content. Fox News has a lot of opinion, but also has basic news reporting. A better anology is that CNN is a left wing version of Fox, and MSNBC is just way out on the fringe by itself.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 10:14 PM   #80
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben2k9 View Post
Except MSNBC has no viewers and is 85% opinion content. Fox News has a lot of opinion, but also has basic news reporting. A better anology is that CNN is a left wing version of Fox, and MSNBC is just way out on the fringe by itself.

I agree that MSNBC reports more opinion that it does actual news pieces. My point was that MSNBC's opinion is more focused on the far left political spectrum, just like Fox's is more focused on the far right.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #81
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

No Huffington Post option? hmm..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #82
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
I like the HP. They seem willing to address things that a whole lot of other mainstream media outlets won't.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #83
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
I like the HP. They seem willing to address things that a whole lot of other mainstream media outlets won't.

All the best.
Like hiring the ex-NFL player Donte Stallworth as their Politics Fellow covering National Security? Who thinks 9-11 was and inside job, was in the NFL's substance abuse program prior to killing a pedestrian with his Bentley, while drunk and high? He has no qualifications at all to cover the topic of National Security, other than being a threat. Can't wait to see what he writes.
      09-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #84
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

Would you really consider FOX as news? its a soap-opera at best.
      09-08-2014, 12:02 AM   #85
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Like hiring the ex-NFL player Donte Stallworth as their Politics Fellow covering National Security? Who thinks 9-11 was and inside job, was in the NFL's substance abuse program prior to killing a pedestrian with his Bentley, while drunk and high? He has no qualifications at all to cover the topic of National Security, other than being a threat. Can't wait to see what he writes.

Well, I don't know Mr. Stallworth, nor anything about him. The thing about politics is that literally anyone can have a perspective on any issue, and there will surely be some community that shares it with them. One may agree or disagree with another's political viewpoints, but one can't call them invalid or wrong, although one can press them to make a cogent case for their position.

So long as Mr. Stallworth sticks to offering opinions that he can soundly support, accurately reports facts, and eschews rewriting the facts, there's little to say he's any better or worse than any other political pundit. As far as reporting news goes, the man's cognitive ability doesn't matter. The reporter's ideas, and those of the new organization, don't belong in a news story.

Being that news, not opinion, is about facts, just about anyone can present them, especially in writing, provided they can write at a 6th grade level. "Who, what, when, where" and "how," that is the realm of news. "Why" and "what the impact will be" is the land of commentary, except when a protagonist expressly offers the reason for their actions or beliefs.

Having said all that, I haven't knowingly read anything the man has written. I may share your view that he is a loon, but I don't think that his being one, and The HP hiring him, is a reason to discount the factual information he reports and that The HP publishes.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #86
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Well, I don't know Mr. Stallworth, nor anything about him. The thing about politics is that literally anyone can have a perspective on any issue, and there will surely be some community that shares it with them. One may agree or disagree with another's political viewpoints, but one can't call them invalid or wrong, although one can press them to make a cogent case for their position.

So long as Mr. Stallworth sticks to offering opinions that he can soundly support, accurately reports facts, and eschews rewriting the facts, there's little to say he's any better or worse than any other political pundit. As far as reporting news goes, the man's cognitive ability doesn't matter. The reporter's ideas, and those of the new organization, don't belong in a news story.

Being that news, not opinion, is about facts, just about anyone can present them, especially in writing, provided they can write at a 6th grade level. "Who, what, when, where" and "how," that is the realm of news. "Why" and "what the impact will be" is the land of commentary, except when a protagonist expressly offers the reason for their actions or beliefs.

Having said all that, I haven't knowingly read anything the man has written. I may share your view that he is a loon, but I don't think that his being one, and The HP hiring him, is a reason to discount the factual information he reports and that The HP publishes.

All the best.
I agree with you in principle. Here are some of Stallworth's previous writings (they are tweets, as he has not written anything else, nor does he have a journalism degree) - you be the judge if he makes a cogent case, and if these serve as reasonable quals for Huffington Post to hire him:

in 2009: "NO WAY 9/11 was carried out by "dying" Bin Laden, 19 men who couldn't fly a damn kite. STILL have NO EVIDENCE Osama was connected, like Iraq"

in 2009: "Gggrrrrrrrrrrrrr @ ppl who actually believe a plane hit the pentagon on 9/11... hole woulda been ASTRONOMICALLY bigger, God bless lost lives"

in 2013: "Oops, I sent that tweet a little too early like the young lady from BBCNews on the collapse of building 7 on 9/11..."

in 2009: "WOW!!! Vaccines as Biological Weapons? Live Avian Flu Virus Placed in Baxter Vaccine Materials Sent to 18 Countries --> http://bit.ly/1Ijydw"

You may come to the conclusion, as I did, that this guy has no background in anything that he's been hired to do - none whatsoever - which calls into question who the HuffPo hires and why.
      09-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #87
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

I must admit, why has the downing of building 7 been ignored for so long.
      09-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #88
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you in principle. Here are some of Stallworth's previous writings (they are tweets, as he has not written anything else, nor does he have a journalism degree) - you be the judge if he makes a cogent case, and if these serve as reasonable quals for Huffington Post to hire him:

in 2009: "NO WAY 9/11 was carried out by "dying" Bin Laden, 19 men who couldn't fly a damn kite. STILL have NO EVIDENCE Osama was connected, like Iraq"

in 2009: "Gggrrrrrrrrrrrrr @ ppl who actually believe a plane hit the pentagon on 9/11... hole woulda been ASTRONOMICALLY bigger, God bless lost lives"

in 2013: "Oops, I sent that tweet a little too early like the young lady from BBCNews on the collapse of building 7 on 9/11..."

in 2009: "WOW!!! Vaccines as Biological Weapons? Live Avian Flu Virus Placed in Baxter Vaccine Materials Sent to 18 Countries --> http://bit.ly/1Ijydw"

You may come to the conclusion, as I did, that this guy has no background in anything that he's been hired to do - none whatsoever - which calls into question who the HuffPo hires and why.
First, I see every one of those quotes as merely statements and I know not one of them can be soundly supported in the space Twitter allows for tweets. I've heard other folks make similar assertions and though I lack the specific knowledge to refute their claims, I haven't found the fact pattern they provided to be strong enough to cause me to doubt the government's attestations about those events.

Based only on the statements you cited having been made via Twitter, and given their inflammatory nature, I have to believe the man made them more for effect, to stir up conversation and attention among a specific target audience, than because he's prepared to defend them in a manner that would withstand critical analysis. I could be wrong, but for now, that's what I think seeing as they are just statements of a position rather than arguments supporting a position.

All the best.

PS
TY for your concord with me on the principles I discussed earlier. Doing so confirms for me that you are at least a reasonable fellow insofar as this topic is concerned.

Appreciate 0