BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Z4 B48 20i Engine Tuning & Mods

01-20-2020, 07:54 AM   #1
M00dz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 20i MSport

Z4 B48 20i Engine Tuning & Mods

Hi Guys,

So i just recently bought my Z4 20i, and i would like to know the options i have for engine tuning. Does the JB4 work on the 20i ?

Also, how come there are no M Performance parts for the car ? Are they planning on releasing them or no plans were made for it at all ?

Appreciate your help guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 11:58 AM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Would recommend a look over at AC Snchitzer maybe. As you say nothing official from BMW M Performance which is a bot odd. I'm sure the default steering wheel upgrade works and some wheel options too.
      01-22-2020, 12:37 AM   #3
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Does BM3 have a tune for this? I know they have one for the 6/supra. I’m looking at one of these to eventually replace my F33 and was hoping to transfer my tune over.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 02:42 AM   #4
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
BM3 is working on the tune for the Z4 M40i currently with the beta on the m340i. They use the same engine whereas the Supra uses a slightly older variant of the B58. I have my BM3 license and registered it to the car, just waiting for a release now.

With that being said, I don’t see them having the B46/48 tunes out yet for this car. You’d have to ask them though since I don’t believe they are a relatively new variant. BM3 does support our Firmware currently so it can read everything off the car and match any available tunes.

As far as M Performance parts, they already announced there won’t be an LCI for the G29 and production will end in 2024 (correct me if I’m wrong) if memory serves me correctly. The car wasn’t expected to be a huge seller so they didn’t R&D the parts ahead of time and doubt they will at all. Best bet is aftermarket like 3D Design, AC Schnitzer, and more European companies as the car has more support over there.
Appreciate 1
chowser511993.00
      01-22-2020, 07:49 AM   #5
M00dz
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
BM3 is working on the tune for the Z4 M40i currently with the beta on the m340i. They use the same engine whereas the Supra uses a slightly older variant of the B58. I have my BM3 license and registered it to the car, just waiting for a release now.

With that being said, I don’t see them having the B46/48 tunes out yet for this car. You’d have to ask them though since I don’t believe they are a relatively new variant. BM3 does support our Firmware currently so it can read everything off the car and match any available tunes.

As far as M Performance parts, they already announced there won’t be an LCI for the G29 and production will end in 2024 (correct me if I’m wrong) if memory serves me correctly. The car wasn’t expected to be a huge seller so they didn’t R&D the parts ahead of time and doubt they will at all. Best bet is aftermarket like 3D Design, AC Schnitzer, and more European companies as the car has more support over there.
Ohh i definitely didnt know that, thank you for clearing it up. Does that mean they won't be producing any more Z4's ?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 02:45 PM   #6
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
For the current generation, correct. But nothing stops them from a partnership that makes the business case down the road
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #7
Pinzs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Civic SI

So back to the title question in this thread. Are there any available for the B48? The mod has biten me but I can't find any mods
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #8
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The JB4 works on the B48. Not sure if MHD has released their tuning yet for the B48 but I believe they have. BM3 does have OTS maps out yet for the G29, however the software supports the car so you could pay a tuner for a custom tune like Tunes by Cary Jordan. Just remember you get what you pay for with a tune. Cary’s custom tunes are $600, but they are multiple revisions for your specific engine/mods and local gas quality.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 06:01 AM   #9
M00dz
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
The JB4 works on the B48. Not sure if MHD has released their tuning yet for the B48 but I believe they have. BM3 does have OTS maps out yet for the G29, however the software supports the car so you could pay a tuner for a custom tune like Tunes by Cary Jordan. Just remember you get what you pay for with a tune. Cary’s custom tunes are $600, but they are multiple revisions for your specific engine/mods and local gas quality.
Hey Joe240, so would you recommend BM3 or JB4 ? both of them are around the same price. sorry my experience in this is limited thats why I'm asking.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #10
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I used JB4 for about 2 years on my m240i. Didn’t have any issues with it except during hot summers in Florida where the engine would get heat soaked and then boost would hit strong and not consistent (some days it’s feel powerful like normal, other days it felt like it was sluggish. Because it only monitors 2 sensors on the b58, it makes it difficult to accommodate boost during heat soak. However, it’s a great option because it can be removed before dealer visits and makes it harder for them to notice performance was modified (an engineer would need to deep dive into the files to notice overboost from the standard factory setting, something the bmw technician at the dealer wouldn’t readily notice from a scan).

BM3 is a complete flash of the ECU, therefore it can accommodate different parameters and adjustments for heat soak and other climates, fuels, etc. more adjustability here and because of that it is a safer option overall and can usually produce better performance gains. However, it is easier for the BMW technician to identify performance modification because part of their scans identifies firmware version, date it was flashed, how many flash cycles the ECU has undergone, and ignition counts since last flash. All variables that flashing back to stock and relocating the ECU will not change. If you go in with a blown head gasket or rod knock, the first thing they will do is run this scan and if any of those numbers seems off, they will instantly void your warranty. For example, the scan shows it was flashed to the current version 2 days ago, with 10 ignition cycles since flash, but their records show it was last flashed (either by dealer or factory) months prior. They will identify this as modified and void the warranty right there.

There’s inherent risk to performance modifications, whether it’s a piggy back or a flash. With all of this in mind, for me personally, I’m sticking with BM3 mainly because of my location and my performance goals.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 05:39 AM   #11
justinbsz
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40I 225I

BM3

I have another car with a B48 and use BM3 Stage 1 made a huge difference for me, stage 2 no cat E30 was a world of difference.
Appreciate 0