01-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #23
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
I smell a lawsuit...
Can not sue God, they call these things an act of God and it hard to prove otherwise. But a tree that falls from someone else property is usually the responsibility of that own to pay damages, this depend on the state.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #24
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
A tree is the responsilibity of the persons property on which it lies at the present time. If it falls and now lies on your property - congrats, you just got yourself a tree cutting project for everything up to the property line.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #25
MMMCOOKIES55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP/ '16 ATS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
I smell a lawsuit...
Can not sue God, they call these things an act of God and it hard to prove otherwise. But a tree that falls from someone else property is usually the responsibility of that own to pay damages, this depend on the state.
The only time the neighbors insurance would be involved is if the tree was determined to be unhealthy before it fell and the person didn't do anything about it. This was a very healthy tree taken down by an act of god. I'm not mad at anyone but that damn tree. Water people are there today drying it all up. Structural engineer will be there tomorrow and repairs start next week.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #26
Maestro
Major
Rep

^ As I said it depend on the state, in PA you or your home owners insurance is responsible for any damage your tree does to another person property. However, in PA if your tree cross the boundary they can cut everything on their side. There has been a few fence wars with trees over hang someone property

I had a tree from my property fall on my neighbors house, this was huge tree, it was 4 feet across at the base and half it split away in a wind storm and luckily it just hit their gutter on the porch, they agreed to let their insurance pay for it and I cut up the tree and pulled it off their house. After this I ended up taking down 5 trees since they would have all come down eventually and most would have hit my house. These tree were anywhere form 60 to 80 ft tall too.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #27
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
^ As I said it depend on the state, in PA you or your home owners insurance is responsible for any damage your tree does to another person property. However, in PA if your tree cross the boundary they can cut everything on their side. There has been a few fence wars with trees over hang someone property

I had a tree from my property fall on my neighbors house, this was huge tree, it was 4 feet across at the base and half it split away in a wind storm and luckily it just hit their gutter on the porch, they agreed to let their insurance pay for it and I cut up the tree and pulled it off their house. After this I ended up taking down 5 trees since they would have all come down eventually and most would have hit my house. These tree were anywhere form 60 to 80 ft tall too.
Your post is contradictory. You said "in PA you or your home owners insurance is responsible for any damage your tree does to another person property" but then you say your tree fell and did damage to another persons house and their insurance paid for it. Cookies is right, it's on the victim to prove that the tree owners knew the tree was going to be a problem and neglected to remedy the issue. A tree, like a leaf - that falls onto your property, is now your property and your problem.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #28
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Your post is contradictory. You said "in PA you or your home owners insurance is responsible for any damage your tree does to another person property" but then you say your tree fell and did damage to another persons house and their insurance paid for it. Cookies is right, it's on the victim to prove that the tree owners knew the tree was going to be a problem and neglected to remedy the issue. A tree, like a leaf - that falls onto your property, is now your property and your problem.

Since I help the home owner get the tree off the front porch they agreed to turned it into their insurance. The insurance company never came out, told them to get an estimated and they sent them a check, they never asked who's property the tree was on. The neighbor was being nice about the whole thing which I appreciated. Before this we hardly talked and after that they have been very nice.

When I looked out my window that morning and saw a large section of my tree laying across their yard and on the porch I was expect nothing but the worse since the guy was an ass to my kids for playing in the cul de sac in front of both of our houses. I could have ended up paying for it all since I had a high deductible on my insurance.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #29
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMCOOKIES335... View Post
I'm not mad at anyone but that damn tree.
On the plus side, you can take it out on the tree with extreme prejudice and no one will care.
      01-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #30
MMMCOOKIES55
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
On the plus side, you can take it out on the tree with extreme prejudice and no one will care.
lol, very true.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:22 AM   #31
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Space Grey 335i

Daaamn shitty luck! Glad everyone is ok!

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #32
MMMCOOKIES55
Major
United_States
Rep

Shitty Luck is right, The day after it happened I was up on the ladder looking in the rafters, upon coming off the ladder (barefoot and slightly drunk...) I slipped and broke two of my toes and fractured one of those bones on the bottom of my foot.... ugh FML.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #33
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMCOOKIES335... View Post
Shitty Luck is right, The day after it happened I was up on the ladder looking in the rafters, upon coming off the ladder (barefoot and slightly drunk...) I slipped and broke two of my toes and fractured one of those bones on the bottom of my foot.... ugh FML.
This really wasn't your week! Hopefully the repairs to the house are at least underway or are on the right track at this point?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #34
MMMCOOKIES55
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGolfBum View Post
This really wasn't your week! Hopefully the repairs to the house are at least underway or are on the right track at this point?
eh...They have finished drying the water out of the house, that's about it right now.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #35
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
That REALLY sucks - sorry to see this. I just bought my first house a few months ago and have plenty of trees ...they seem well rooted and have been there 30+ years but now I'm reconsidering. Two of them are large evergreens.
      01-21-2014, 07:42 AM   #36
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
That REALLY sucks - sorry to see this. I just bought my first house a few months ago and have plenty of trees ...they seem well rooted and have been there 30+ years but now I'm reconsidering. Two of them are large evergreens.
Young trees don't fall - old trees fall. Evergreens act as giant sails in the wind and they are also a hazard in winter as they never loose their needles.

I just had two days worth of tree work done on my property and it made a HUGE difference. Cut down three large hickory trees and five large maples leaving me with about 15 yards of wood chips and five cords of really nice firewood. Tree maintenance is paramount. I needed to lift the canopy of my place in a major way and allow more light to shine through. It's not cheap but it made quite a difference.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #37
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Sad to see damage to such a nice home. I thought this thread was going to be about tree pollen when I read the title.
Appreciate 0