BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Any real-estate agents here?

01-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Any real-estate agents here?

Hey guys, Im currently an architect and am considering a career change.
what are you experiences and opinions on the profession, and what key skills are required?

Also do you think there will be any transferrable skills i can leverage on from architect to realtor?

I appreciate the input guys.
      01-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
Architect requires college and training. A real estate takes a licensing test.

You have to have strong sales skills as a realtor. Not sure if it would be an easy transition. Also the housing market is still fairly depressed. Why would you would get into it now?

I think an architect would be more in demand.
Because architects are paid garbage.

OP, I was an architect and I've recently quit my job and started on my own. I now focus on conceptual design and consulting rather than trying to be part of magazine feature piece bullshit.
And since then, I've making more than double and finally have a real life.

I'm also very interested in real estate but not as a realtor but as an investor.
I just bought my first home to test out my investor skills while using my background to renovate a house. I'm interested in getting a real estate agent license once I do enough transactions to cut the commission.
But switching a career from an architect to a realtor is a very dangerous one.... Poor job to poor job. People say some realtors make alot of money, and that is very true but so does superchitects.

And I'm sure you have less competitors in architecture field then real estate field while chances to become successful could be higher in real estate field.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Thank for the input

im sick and tired of being underpaid, working overtime

changing careers in on my new years resolution list I'm just weighing my options
      01-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #4
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

I'm not but I have several friends who are and let me tell you, it's nothing like the glamorous TV shows where they're all rolling in $$$.

All of them make very modest, unstable incomes.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #5
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Are you in Queensland?
      01-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #6
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
I'm not but I have several friends who are and let me tell you, it's nothing like the glamorous TV shows where they're all rolling in $$$.

All of them make very modest, unstable incomes.
I guess grass looks greener on the other side.
Shouldve become an engineer lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Are you in Queensland?
yep
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 12:38 AM   #7
BMuu
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

I'm a real estate agent in Canada. Market is quite stable here, not sure how it compares where you are. Like most things, if you work hard at it and don't give up easily you can do very well.

As far as transferable skills, some agents will market themselves as experts on certain style of homes. Maybe you can market yourself as an expert in modern design or something similar.

I would recommend that you have enough money saved up to survive a year. Getting licensed will cost a fair amount, not to mention brokerage fees etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 06:56 AM   #8
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I've thought of this as a career as well. Real Estate was my concentration in college (finance degree) and I've always loved it. The problem is the lumpy income. I'm also not sure how insurance works and if you are deemed a contractor or what. I love interacting with people and always love a good negotiation.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #9
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ00 View Post
Thank for the input

im sick and tired of being underpaid, working overtime

changing careers in on my new years resolution list I'm just weighing my options
How long have you stayed in architecture field?
It gets better after 4~5 years if you are good and you will see your salary going up where you can satisfy if you are working for big name firms.
I've always loved my job and money, but no matter how you make it out, you still have uncontrollable working hours and I just had to quit because it was affecting my marriage.

If you noticed that you aren't so special out of the crowd, chances are that it won't change and your salary won't break 100k even if you have 10+yrs of exp. But if you see yourself going up, then just try to move to different firm where they do different type of practice.
I had tendancy to move around firms after 2~3 yrs, and I moved from firms that specialize in residential to high rise to office building to hospitality to satisfy myself.
Every time I move, field of architecture felt so new and fun because literal practice was quite different per type. Oh, I specialized in interior so it worked better. I don't get excited over curtain walls and wall details but interiors always got me moving.

You should consider the career change once you are fully disgusted and tried everything.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 10:05 PM   #10
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I am considering doing this as a side job. I'm just not sure how much time needs to go into it to make it worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 01:36 AM   #11
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
I am considering doing this as a side job. I'm just not sure how much time needs to go into it to make it worthwhile.
Are you an architect?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 01:50 AM   #12
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
How long have you stayed in architecture field?
It gets better after 4~5 years if you are good and you will see your salary going up where you can satisfy if you are working for big name firms.
I've always loved my job and money, but no matter how you make it out, you still have uncontrollable working hours and I just had to quit because it was affecting my marriage.

If you noticed that you aren't so special out of the crowd, chances are that it won't change and your salary won't break 100k even if you have 10+yrs of exp. But if you see yourself going up, then just try to move to different firm where they do different type of practice.
I had tendancy to move around firms after 2~3 yrs, and I moved from firms that specialize in residential to high rise to office building to hospitality to satisfy myself.
Every time I move, field of architecture felt so new and fun because literal practice was quite different per type. Oh, I specialized in interior so it worked better. I don't get excited over curtain walls and wall details but interiors always got me moving.

You should consider the career change once you are fully disgusted and tried everything.
Yeah so far i did it because i loved doing it, but the pay is just unfair and i work in a award winning mid-large size practice. (Yes yes i can can still afford a bimmer etc. But thats only because im not married and my girlfriend earns considerable amount, thus i dont jave anyone to support but myself).

We currently have projects rnging from 50~300 million dollars, but the pay doesnt reflect the overtime (not to mention the measy eoy/christmas bonus) and frankly its getting into my head. Afterall, im not a graduate or student anymore. I just hate the attitude of 'being thankful for having a job at all in this economic climate' attitude directors are having.

The main reason i was thinking about real estate was because i think later on in my career, I can become an architect/home builder (small developer) and a realtor in one practice? Is this just unrealistic of a goal?

Would working for a developer (an an architect) and learning the trade make more sense than real estate?

Sorry for the rant, poor gramma and structure, im typing on my phone in the train from work..

But congrats, seems like u love it way more than i do

Oh, and im three years out of college plus three and a half years student/technician experience
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 01:51 AM   #13
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I've thought of this as a career as well. Real Estate was my concentration in college (finance degree) and I've always loved it. The problem is the lumpy income. I'm also not sure how insurance works and if you are deemed a contractor or what. I love interacting with people and always love a good negotiation.
The job listing im trying for is fixed salary plus incentive, which doesnt seem too bad
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #14
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Are you an architect?
No, i'm in finance.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #15
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Seems like everyone I know has a license to sell real estate. Tough market to break into, and probably takes quite a few years before you've built up a rolodex of contacts that you can comfortably live off.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #16
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah so far i did it because i loved doing it, but the pay is just unfair and i work in a award winning mid-large size practice. (Yes yes i can can still afford a bimmer etc. But thats only because im not married and my girlfriend earns considerable amount, thus i dont jave anyone to support but myself).

We currently have projects rnging from 50~300 million dollars, but the pay doesnt reflect the overtime (not to mention the measy eoy/christmas bonus) and frankly its getting into my head. Afterall, im not a graduate or student anymore. I just hate the attitude of 'being thankful for having a job at all in this economic climate' attitude directors are having.

The main reason i was thinking about real estate was because i think later on in my career, I can become an architect/home builder (small developer) and a realtor in one practice? Is this just unrealistic of a goal?

Would working for a developer (an an architect) and learning the trade make more sense than real estate?

Sorry for the rant, poor gramma and structure, im typing on my phone in the train from work..

But congrats, seems like u love it way more than i do

Oh, and im three years out of college plus three and a half years student/technician experience
You start to realize what you have done to your life after being a professional architect for 3 years. LOL. From there on, you constantly think career change and start doing side jobs, as most architects are sick and tired of working late and getting paid little.

Either way, if you want to work for a developer, go for the big firms such as Silverstein or similar in your area. You would probably need another degree, such as real estate development, to really put yourself in better position.

If you move as an architect to an architect, in the end, you will be drawing the same little rooms. In development firms, there are no design, so your practice will be more boring. But then, because you are an in-house architect, you would be paid much higher.
Usually you get paid 2~3 times more just by being an in-house architect if you were outsourced by them prior. But this statement is only valid if you are a senior level.

And as for your future goal to become an architect/builder/realtor is not hard at all. You would just need good fund to start that though. And we all know architect and realtor both need to put a lot of time to make money so you can't do both at same time. You need to get your fund through your best mean of income source first, then add other practices.

You need to sort out clearly what you want to do first.
If you want to be an architect/home builder and a realtor in one practice as you mentioned, that's basically a residential developer (house flipper). And in order to succeed in this, you need to be in right location or have good fund. And mortgage is becoming harder to get because of the gov plans, so it might affect your plans as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #17
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
You start to realize what you have done to your life after being a professional architect for 3 years. LOL. From there on, you constantly think career change and start doing side jobs, as most architects are sick and tired of working late and getting paid little.

Either way, if you want to work for a developer, go for the big firms such as Silverstein or similar in your area. You would probably need another degree, such as real estate development, to really put yourself in better position.

If you move as an architect to an architect, in the end, you will be drawing the same little rooms. In development firms, there are no design, so your practice will be more boring. But then, because you are an in-house architect, you would be paid much higher.
Usually you get paid 2~3 times more just by being an in-house architect if you were outsourced by them prior. But this statement is only valid if you are a senior level.

And as for your future goal to become an architect/builder/realtor is not hard at all. You would just need good fund to start that though. And we all know architect and realtor both need to put a lot of time to make money so you can't do both at same time. You need to get your fund through your best mean of income source first, then add other practices.

You need to sort out clearly what you want to do first.
If you want to be an architect/home builder and a realtor in one practice as you mentioned, that's basically a residential developer (house flipper). And in order to succeed in this, you need to be in right location or have good fund. And mortgage is becoming harder to get because of the gov plans, so it might affect your plans as well.
Thabks for the advice, much appreciated

I think ill work for a developer and slowsly start there, and maybe do another coarse like mba (because its only 1 year) later on.

Thanks again mate
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #18
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Thabks for the advice, much appreciated

I think ill work for a developer and slowsly start there, and maybe do another coarse like mba (because its only 1 year) later on.

Thanks again mate
Your welcome.
And there's a joint program where you can earn MBA & Real estate development. This is specialized for person who is in similar boat as you.

But, don't forget to think about return of investment.
You could easily pay over 100k to get such degree and your salary have to pay that off in certain time to see the benefit.
You could search online per school to browse ROI per program based on their alumni.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #19
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

thankfully, uni fees in australia is no where near as expensive as the states

yeah, ill have to find the Australian equivalent, but thats still a couple of years away, but advice is always appreciated.
      01-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #20
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 (sold)

Quote:
Hey guys, Im currently an architect and am considering a career change.
what are you experiences and opinions on the profession, and what key skills are required?

Also do you think there will be any transferrable skills i can leverage on from architect to realtor?

I appreciate the input guys.
It takes a considerable amount of work in the beginning. It's a numbers game when you're starting out. The more contacts you make the better likelihood you'll sell a piece of real estate or lots of it. You're not a used car salesman, you don't need the greesy pitch, but remember you don't get paid unless you sell a piece of real estate. I'd say motivation and knowledge of the real estate you're selling is 2 good skill to have.
Appreciate 0