BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Kids and Cars. What should I buy them?

10-05-2006, 10:16 PM   #45
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Yes, you're completely right. It matters so much more how you bring up your child and teaching them proper driving skills. I do know though that my dad raised me as best as he could and I still crashed my first car. It was my fault, but I am sure that if I had an AWD instead of FWD car and had better tires instead of ok all-seasons that I probably would have been fine. The tires are the number one thing to improve safety, I would definitely change them for a teenage driver unless the car comes with amazing tires like the 330i sport package tires.

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2006, 10:21 PM   #46
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

on the other hand Nikki,

worse tires allow you to learn the behavior at the limit of traction at lower speeds, so on some level having really crappy tires is better for learning how to drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2006, 10:25 PM   #47
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
on the other hand Nikki,

worse tires allow you to learn the behavior at the limit of traction at lower speeds, so on some level having really crappy tires is better for learning how to drive.
I never gave myself time for that. I took a corner I didn't know and thought was a normal curve that turned out to be greater than a right angle. I guess I can blame the roads up north and their poor sign labeling. Down here all the roads are perfectly straight and any slight bend in the road they put up huge signs with flashing lights hahhaa. But yeah, it was my fault, I just think that better tires would have saved my poor baby.

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #48
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drive carefully kids!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2006, 11:34 PM   #49
Caster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 SG 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I've had my car for 6 months, thank G-d nothing has happened *knocks on wood*...

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2006, 12:07 PM   #50
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

I crashed mine within a few weeks of getting it but I never have driven careless since then. I definitely learned my lesson.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #51
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
is that your del sol up there nikki??????

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2006, 12:19 PM   #52
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
is that your del sol up there nikki??????
yep, my dream car since i was like 10 years old.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #53
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
So, why would you hit the tree Nikkster? Road not wide enough for you?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2006, 12:23 PM   #54
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
and then you crashed it few weeks later? wow. how painful it must have been...
mind if I ask what happened there? car looks pretty banged up.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2006, 12:55 PM   #55
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
and then you crashed it few weeks later? wow. how painful it must have been...
mind if I ask what happened there? car looks pretty banged up.
Long story:
I just moved to a new school in a new town right before I got my license so I was unfamiliar with the roads. I was used to my little ocean town in connecticut and i moved into the boonies up by massachusetts.

Someone told me his car broke or something at school and he didn't have a ride so I told him I would give him a ride home. I asked him where he lived and he told me he would tell me as I went, and I didn't like that too much and asked him to tell me before we stated driving but he wouldn't. I told him to take me a main way even if it was longer because I was unfamiliar with the backroads. He said ok but took me backroads anyway apparently without telling me because we didn't go on one main road.

He kept telling me the whole time how slow my car was and saying it was a dumb Honda. Everyone in that town was obsessed with trucks and mustangs so I tried to ignore it but it got to me. So there was like a 1/4 mile straight away so I punched it and got up to like 70 mph on a 30mph road (derr I was stupid).

I started slowing down because I saw a curve was coming up ahead and thought I could take it at like 30mph and the kid I was with never said anything until it was too late. I was about to take the corner and he said "uhm you're not going to make this corner"... (thanks...) so I slammed on the brakes and then let off and tried to take the corner but it was more than a 90 degree turn, it actually was like a u-turn almost and it was raining out and autumn so there were wet leaves all over the road. I didn't make the turn and hit a pole. If I hadn't hit a stupid pole they placed right at the corner then I would have been fine, but there was a pole sitting there. I probably hit it at 30mph. I was later told that where I crashed was the worst turn in town and that someone crashed there at least once a month. I guess that kid wanted me to crash because he told me he was taking me a main way and didn't tell me there were any u-turns ahead...jerk.

Car was totalled, I was basically fine, the kid was fine. I had a concussion, abrasions (from the airbag hitting me in the face) , and my back and right leg hurt for a month. Everyone at school made fun of me and laughed at me because I was "the dumb new girl with an import that thought she could drive stick but crashed". That is until I got an Integra GS-R, then they all thought I was cool again but no one would talk to me still. I never fit in, I just hung out with my dad all of the time.

Short story:
I was on a road I didn't know trying to show off. It was raining and autumn so there were wet leaves on the ground. I tried to take a curve I thought was about 30mph but it turned out being almost a u-turn so I hit a pole that was strategically placed right on the corner. I was later told that where I crashed was the worst turn in town and that someone crashed there at least once a month.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2006, 01:17 PM   #56
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Long story:
I just moved to a new school in a new town right before I got my license so I was unfamiliar with the roads. I was used to my little ocean town in connecticut and i moved into the boonies up by massachusetts.

Someone told me his car broke or something at school and he didn't have a ride so I told him I would give him a ride home. I asked him where he lived and he told me he would tell me as I went, and I didn't like that too much and asked him to tell me before we stated driving but he wouldn't. I told him to take me a main way even if it was longer because I was unfamiliar with the backroads. He said ok but took me backroads anyway apparently without telling me because we didn't go on one main road.

He kept telling me the whole time how slow my car was and saying it was a dumb Honda. Everyone in that town was obsessed with trucks and mustangs so I tried to ignore it but it got to me. So there was like a 1/4 mile straight away so I punched it and got up to like 70 mph on a 30mph road (derr I was stupid).

I started slowing down because I saw a curve was coming up ahead and thought I could take it at like 30mph and the kid I was with never said anything until it was too late. I was about to take the corner and he said "uhm you're not going to make this corner"... (thanks...) so I slammed on the brakes and then let off and tried to take the corner but it was more than a 90 degree turn, it actually was like a u-turn almost and it was raining out and autumn so there were wet leaves all over the road. I didn't make the turn and hit a pole. If I hadn't hit a stupid pole they placed right at the corner then I would have been fine, but there was a pole sitting there. I probably hit it at 30mph. I was later told that where I crashed was the worst turn in town and that someone crashed there at least once a month. I guess that kid wanted me to crash because he told me he was taking me a main way and didn't tell me there were any u-turns ahead...jerk.

Car was totalled, I was basically fine, the kid was fine. I had a concussion, abrasions (from the airbag hitting me in the face) , and my back and right leg hurt for a month. Everyone at school made fun of me and laughed at me because I was "the dumb new girl with an import that thought she could drive stick but crashed". That is until I got an Integra GS-R, then they all thought I was cool again but no one would talk to me still. I never fit in, I just hung out with my dad all of the time.

Short story:
I was on a road I didn't know trying to show off. It was raining and autumn so there were wet leaves on the ground. I tried to take a curve I thought was about 30mph but it turned out being almost a u-turn so I hit a pole that was strategically placed right on the corner. I was later told that where I crashed was the worst turn in town and that someone crashed there at least once a month.
Live and learn!
At least you sound more mature nowdays
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2006, 01:18 PM   #57
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i
Live and learn!
At least you sound more mature nowdays
yeah that was 4 years ago, but it seems like it was 10.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2006, 09:41 PM   #58
FLIP954RR
B.A. BARACUS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi

My first real car-that I actually paid for was an 88 Honda Accord LX-loved that car til it got stolen
      10-07-2006, 07:24 AM   #59
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I'm thinking of a mid 90's 3 series coupe that I can also put coilovers and a used M3 diff in, and it will be a combo kid/tack car. I won;t do anything crazy, mod wise, but all the mods I plan to do will make it a safer car for my daughter, and help me out on the track.

Snows for the winter, and definitely a 5 speed.

Can you tell I've thought about this a lot already?
Appreciate 0