BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum BMW Unveils the new BMW Z4 M40i at Pebble Beach

08-24-2018, 09:48 AM   #155
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbNO View Post
Haha, the Bimmerpost community is almost like a parody on itself sometimes. I don't think a new BMW design will ever be approved by this community, you people are just so incredibly backwards thinking and conservative.

If you look at the history of BMW Z models, every single model has looked like nothing else before it. The new Z4 is no exception. And if you look at the design with an open mind, it really is a great looking car. And even more important, it will probably handle like a roadster should.
And where is BMW history did the Z cars look like a Kia? That's progress? Alrighty there chief
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #156
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Anyone out there the thinks this is nice just imagine it with a fart can exhaust and a blinking fourth brake light.

Because these are the people who will buy this and that's what we're going to see
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 11:05 AM   #157
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
I think the interior is insane, hopefully the G80 looks like that...
I agree. The interior of the new BMWs is rocking it
      08-24-2018, 11:23 AM   #158
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Quote:
Agreed, they nailed the interior. Same with the new 8-Series, X3, X4, and the new X5. All perfectly laid out, combining new tech, elegant BMW aesthetics, ergonomics, and technology. This is why I hate the G30 interior so much, because it kept the old BMW interior formula, now the G20 will get will get the interior design of the, G29, G01, the G05, and the G15, which is the future. The G30 just came out last year and it's already so behind the times. Shame, it could've been something great like all of these new BMW's.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 11:23 AM   #159
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmouth Studio View Post
Can we have other video rather than this stupid man?
Thats really all I could find. I'm surprised there aren't more on youtube, beside the orange one from last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
The side view mirrors like like they were lifted straight off the F30.
lol, this is one of the biggest complaint on the other side as well. Everyone was freaking out because they thought the ones on the prototypes were the final units. But two insiders have said the Supra will look more like the ones from the Highlander.

Last edited by supra93; 08-24-2018 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 11:30 AM   #160
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed, they nailed the interior. Same with the new 8-Series, X3, X4, and the new X5. All perfectly laid out, combining new tech, elegant BMW aesthetics, ergonomics, and technology. This is why I hate the G30 interior so much, because it kept the old BMW interior formula, now the G20 will get will get the interior design of the, G29, G01, the G05, and the G15, which is the future. The G30 just came out last year and it's already so behind the times. Shame, it could've been something great like all of these new BMW's.
G30 is still class leading because of its elegant exterior if appropriate wheels are on. It looks much more expensive than its price tag. The interior is well laid out and elegant without being over decorated. However I agree with you, the interior would have been much better with the new design language. Hopefully the LCI would correct this.
      08-24-2018, 11:48 AM   #161
jdhiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
if I recall correctly... BMW said they wouldn't make an M model for E85 and they did.... and then they said the same for the E89.. and they actually held true and didn't.. So they have both bases covered. looks like a 50/50 proposition...
They also said they were not going to make an M2, and were happy with the M240i.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2018, 11:56 AM   #162
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by eau_rouge View Post
Miss the iconic headlights Rest is beast. Ok, not beast. But okay - quite cool.
But true excitement sounds different, right?
Appreciate 2
      08-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #163
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonNW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
if I recall correctly... BMW said they wouldn't make an M model for E85 and they did.... and then they said the same for the E89.. and they actually held true and didn't.. So they have both bases covered. looks like a 50/50 proposition...
They also said they were not going to make an M2, and were happy with the M240i.

Yes but these are Corporate lies, so fans and customers should ignore them because they don't really count.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 01:46 PM   #164
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Amazing interior and I like the front too.

Doesn't look as macho but that is for the M version.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 01:47 PM   #165
Bimmer North
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 430I grand coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
It's a good looking car but something about it is just missing. It seems over-styled and quite the hodge podge of different styling cues.

The previous Z4 was disappointing from behind the wheel, but boy was it a timeless design. Now that looks like a BMW roadster:
"Overstyled" ..exactly. The fron end just screams Nissan/Kia...anything but BMW.
The iconic grill is gone
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 01:57 PM   #166
Bimmer North
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 430I grand coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
It's a good looking car but something about it is just missing. It seems over-styled and quite the hodge podge of different styling cues.

The previous Z4 was disappointing from behind the wheel, but boy was it a timeless design. Now that looks like a BMW roadster:
"Overstyled" ..exactly. The fron end just screams Nissan/Kia...anything but BMW.
The iconic grill is gone
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 03:07 PM   #167
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 03:37 PM   #168
Wolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: on hold

Sssssoooooo the new z4 is still a fat pig with a soft top. Congrats BMW you have reinvented the market.
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #169
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 04:43 PM   #170
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
G30 is still class leading because of its elegant exterior if appropriate wheels are on. It looks much more expensive than its price tag. The interior is well laid out and elegant without being over decorated. However I agree with you, the interior would have been much better with the new design language. Hopefully the LCI would correct this.
And the performance and driving dynamics too! The BMW bean counters are some of the best in the business. They saved cost on the interior while still staying competitive in the segment. I mean who buys a 5er over an E-class or A6 if not for the driving dynamics alone?

As for this new Z. I liked it a lot at first. Still love the new interior. Have mixed feelings about the exterior now that official car has been revealed. Definitely looks better and more BMW-like with the silver/titanium colored grille surrounds. The all-black grille looks pretty bad and dated already especially with those horribly tacky mesh inserts. Those black fairings tacked on the front don't help. The car has such clean lines otherwise, but then they put the ugly and busy looking black vent on the side. The sharp concept nose looked so much better IMO. The whole thing looked rad. Now this is just like meh.

All that said, I'm still very much looking forward to driving it (and the Supra) one day!
      08-24-2018, 04:49 PM   #171
supra93
Colonel
Rep

BMW Z4 G29: Product Manager Andreas Ederer in an interview

https://www.bimmertoday.de/2018/08/2...-im-interview/

Quote:
BMW does not want to reveal any details about the new Z4 G29 even after the premiere of the First Edition in Pebble Beach , but in our interview, product manager Andreas Ederer at least provides some further pointers to the positioning and the technology package of the new Roadster. Of course, this is also about the cooperation with Toyota and the proximity to the Supra J29, which was completely developed by BMW for the Japanese.

The next big info portion to the BMW Z4 G29 want to publish the Munich on 19 September, a few days before the European premiere at the Paris Motor Show 2018th What may be said today, is in our interview.

BimmerToday.de: In front of us is the third generation of the BMW Z4. The previous generations were very differently positioned - initially sporty-spicy, then rather sporty-comfortable. Where do you see the suspension tuning of the new G29 in such a view?
Andreas Ederer: The new BMW Z4 has become a real sports car, but also masters the comfortable pace. He is not just the roadster for the trip on Sunday afternoon, but especially for Sunday morning, without any restrictions.

BimmerToday.de: The predecessor E89 had to plug in the trade press often criticism for lack of momentum. Was there such feedback from the customers?
Andreas Ederer: Among the sporting customers who knew the first Z4, there were quite a few critical voices. But most of them were satisfied with the tuning and positioning of the Roadster.

BimmerToday.de: Can you name some measures that directly contribute to increasing the driving dynamics of the new BMW Z4 G29?
Andreas Ederer: These are the geometric orientation of the front axle and rear axle, but also the wheel diameter and tires. For example, in the BMW Z4 M40i with M Sport Differential, Adaptive M Sport Suspension, M Sport Brake and high-performance tires, we have compiled an extremely sports-oriented package in terms of driving dynamics.

BimmerToday.de: The BMW Z4 M40i, driven a few months ago and now presented in Pebble Beach, is an M Performance car. Up to now, M Performance has stood for high everyday usability, but now numerous M components are used in the chassis. How is this change of course?
Andreas Ederer: That is basically due to the general positioning of the new Z4. The alignment is simply very sporty from the ground up, which is why the M Performance model has to offer a little more sportiness.

BimmerToday.de: Unlike the direct predecessor, the new Z4 Roadster carries just like the first generation again a fabric hood. How is this constant back and forth?
Andreas Ederer: The BMW Roadsters since the 1990s have always stood for the pure interpretation of the Roadster. We started with the Z3 with a soft top, the first Z4 had also a soft top, then we changed the predecessor for different reasons to the hard top. This offers advantages, but reduces luggage space volume and increases the weight. After moving back into the sportier direction with the overall direction of the new BMW Z4, the soft top is the better choice. In addition, modern BMW fabric roofs have become significantly higher in quality and comfort in terms of materiality and properties. We also have a very nice and dynamic shape when closed.

BimmerToday.de: Now you have already addressed the subject of weight. Can you say anything about the overall weight of the new Z4 M40i compared to the Z4 sDrive35is of the predecessor generation?
Andreas Ederer: As an order of magnitude, one can speak of 50 kilograms less weight.

BimmerToday.de: Could the center of gravity be lowered next to the weight?
Andreas Ederer: Yes, thanks in part to the lighter top, the center of gravity is even lower than its predecessor.

BimmerToday.de: It is known that the BMW Z4 G29 was developed together with the new Toyota Supra J29. How did this partnership, which was very unusual for BMW, come about?
Andreas Ederer: This is part of the well-known cooperation with Toyota. Toyota ordered a sports car as a coupe from us, which we developed according to our order.

BimmerToday.de: How independent will the two vehicles be? Do I get a Z4 in the Toyota dress with the Supra de facto?
Andreas Ederer: As I said, we have developed a vehicle for Toyota. What exactly Toyota does with it, is in the hands of colleagues from Japan.

BimmerToday.de: It's very obvious that the Toyota Supra will hit the market as a coupé while the Z4 is a roadster. Is it conceivable that one day we will see a remake of the BMW Z4 Coupé?
Andreas Ederer: That's not planned at the moment.

BimmerToday.de: An important question for purist drivers is also the transmission. Will there continue to be hand controls or do you rely on automatic transmissions everywhere?
Andreas Ederer: We will definitely offer all models with the familiar 8-speed Sport Steptronic transmission. The topic of handset brings too many disadvantages in terms of consumption as well as sportiness.

BimmerToday.de: What do you say to readers who are hoping for a new edition of the BMW Z4 M Roadster?
Andreas Ederer: We start with the BMW Z4 M40i at first, but we can not talk about other variants at the moment.

BimmerToday.de: In general, the roadster segment has not been blessed with large quantities for years, the sales figures are developing more down than up. Does this make any sense in bringing a new roadster onto the market?
Andreas Ederer: The actual numbers are one thing. But we certainly notice a trend that many customers want to reward with their vehicle. A roadster fits so well in this modern mindset. In addition, for many generations of roadsters we have a clientele that we want to keep on board with attractive products in the future. And with the very dynamic driving orientation of the Z4 fits perfectly with the BMW brand and the much-praised joy of driving.

BimmerToday.de: So you expect a larger number of units than the predecessor?
Andreas Ederer: Basically we are not talking about future sales figures, but we are very confident thanks to the sporty realignment of the BMW Z4 and its outstanding product substance.

BimmerToday.de: Plug-in hybrids, electric cars and autonomous driving are currently driving many car headlines. To what extent do these major topics of the time also play a role in the roadster segment - or is it completely decoupled?
Andreas Ederer: At the moment it is too early to talk about further variants.

BimmerToday.de: But in the area of ​​assistance systems even a purist car like the Z4 moves on the stand of a completely different positioned vehicle, say an X3?
Andreas Ederer: Of course we have important driver assistance systems on board. The offer includes Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go, Lane Change and Lane Departure Warning, as well as a Parking Assistant including Reversing Assistant. The new BMW Z4 is also the first roadster to be equipped with a head-up display.

BimmerToday.de: In your opinion, who is the most important competitor of the new Z4? The Supra, Mercedes SLC, Audi TT or Porsche Boxster?
Andreas Ederer: There are only a small number of competitors in the premium segment. Among them is also one or the other mentioned by you vehicle.

BimmerToday.de: Pricing will also move the BMW Z4 G29 at this level?
Andreas Ederer: Please understand that we can not say anything about the prices at the moment because the vehicle will only have its market launch in March 2019.

BimmerToday.de: That's a shame, but understandable. Thank you for the informative conversation!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #172
330iToy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 M3 Space Gray

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have mixed feelings. From that 1 side shot it looks like a Mercedes collaboration. Dare I say Crossfire lol? The front and color I love.
      08-24-2018, 05:29 PM   #173
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 06:21 PM   #174
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
Agree, I mean, it's 100% consistent with every other BMW coming out right now. By all accounts, BMW did all the engineering work and designed the Z4 and Toyota is basically restyling it as a coupe and calling it the Supra.
Pretty sure that isn't true. By whose account? Have you read any of the PR or interviews from the other side? The joint platforum was co develop to meet the needs of both companies. It wasn't like the G29 had already existed or was already in development and then Toyota jumped on board.
Yes, I have read them. I was maybe exaggerating a bit. The car was joint developed in terms of ensuring the early targets were set in order to meet the needs of both vehicles, and Toyota provided expertise and components where it made sense, but the bulk of the hardware is pure BMW. The drivetrain is pure BMW, the Supra's interior clearly has BMW foundations under the Toyota veneer, and BMW did most of the platform/chassis development as well. Toyota did their own damper, steering, engine calibrations on top of BMW's platform.

Edit:

Read the article a couple posts up. The BMW rep literally says "Toyota ordered a sports coupe from us and we developed the car as we wanted." That points to my original statement being more accurate.
      08-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #175
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Overall the car is gorgeous inside and out. Apart from that fugly mesh kidney grill and the entirely hideous front end.

Looks like BMW MUST make a M version to get a better looking front bumper with the double slat kidney grills.

The car looks so freaking good from the back, so freaking good from the inside and so freaking good from the side. But then you come to the front and you're like EWW.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #176
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Coming from a G30 owner I cannot disagree with you. I just bought my car 14 months ago, and it was a brand new model with a brand new iDrive, new interior, new technology. And now we have a whole new, different design of interiors with the X5, X7, 8 series and now the Z4 and they look magnificent.

Oh yeah and guess what? There's also a new iDrive which makes mine old.

But with all that said I still love my car, and will enjoy it for the rest of my lease. It's even worst if you're an M5 owner. Cause now you have a brand new car, not even a year old, that already looks dated. Lol

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0