BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition So who else in here trains in Martial Arts?

06-05-2019, 06:38 PM   #23
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

BJJ is kicking my ass... holy shit!
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #24
NOS4A2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

BJJ for over a year and still kicking my ass.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #25
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
two years on...Bjj still kicking my ass.

What?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #26
Kraftwerk
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M Sport

Aikido, aiki-jujutsu, jujutsu, taijutsu, kenjutsu, BJJ, boxing, JKD, kali, muay thai, and anything else that works. 20+ years
      06-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #27
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Combative art, I'm married and can definitely dodge bullets. My master flung-doo said if can come home drunk and not engage in battle you will earn your black belt. I'm still beltless.
Appreciate 1
Torgus3779.00
      06-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #28
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Combative art, I'm married and can definitely dodge bullets. My master flung-doo said if can come home drunk and not engage in battle you will earn your black belt. I'm still beltless.
Well, once you've mentioned marriage I can't help it any more. It's your wife who might need some BJ-Jutsu expertise if you like it. You needn't bother yourself.

A disclaimer: I don't really mean to hurt the feelings of BJJ fans. It's just receiving an intruder straight between your legs in the missionary position looks as doubtful to me as it is. Of wrestling I only practised a very little bit of Greco-Roman where once you fall on your back you lose. Martial application is quite different, of course, but exposing the groin is my big concern regarding spreading the legs here as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #29
HapkidoNinja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I once met someone at a martial arts venue who claimed to train in Combat Tai-Chi...

With a complete deadpan I asked "How effective is it?"...and timed the second half of the response for when he opened his mouth to say "...boring your opponent to death?"

Well, we were all hysterical at the time...

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 11:48 PM   #30
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapkidoNinja View Post
I once met someone at a martial arts venue who claimed to train in Combat Tai-Chi...

With a complete deadpan I asked "How effective is it?"...and timed the second half of the response for when he opened his mouth to say "...boring your opponent to death?"

Well, we were all hysterical at the time...

"...and timed the second half of the response" - here's when I thought the immediate response you received was a blow and when "the light turned back on" they told you someone had laughed to death.

Definitely, most people actually come to practise their talking skills. Preparing themselves for creative discussions like this, perhaps:

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #31
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Xdrive

Now an old fart, but back when I was a young fart participated initially in TKD, Aiki Ki Juijitsu, Hapkido, and Aikido. Came close to black belt a couple of times but ended up moving so that never happened. My favorite is Hapkido.

Last edited by hogwldfltr; 09-10-2019 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 08:11 PM   #32
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post
Now an old fart, but back when I was a young fart participated initially in TKD, Aiki Ki Juijitsu, Hapkido, and Aikido. Came close to black belt a couple of times but ended up moving so that never happened. My favorite is Hapkido.
Hapkido was my favourite as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #33
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHudson View Post
Hapkido was my favourite as well.
It's hard to find Hapkido schools. When I was studying Hapkido I'd occasionally throw in a hapkido technique. Pain make attackers let go; need to be careful not to go too far though.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #34
superbrew
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
two years on...Bjj still kicking my ass.

What?
I've been doing it for 10 years, still kicking my ass lol. That's what I love about it, no matter how good you are, you can always get better.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 11:22 PM   #35
Getzinem
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i

Muay thai and boxing over traditional cardio

I practice muay thai and boxing as a supplement to traditional cardio. I find it more more engaging and practical to my life. I even made a video about this topic, please check it out and share your input. Thank you!

Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      10-02-2019, 06:09 AM   #36
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzinem View Post
I practice muay thai and boxing as a supplement to traditional cardio. I find it more more engaging and practical to my life. I even made a video about this topic, please check it out and share your input. Thank you!

Some of my best cardio conditioning was from when I boxed on a regular basis. Unfortunately I started weight lifting, and my body took to that like a fish to water. I probably gained 20+lbs in the first 3 months which completely screwed up my weight class.

After that, I was having to fight guys almost 6" taller than me...and having a long reach is a "MF" to get past if the guy is skilled.
      10-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #37
Getzinem
Banned
Rep

It's a blessing and a Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Some of my best cardio conditioning was from when I boxed on a regular basis. Unfortunately I started weight lifting, and my body took to that like a fish to water. I probably gained 20+lbs in the first 3 months which completely screwed up my weight class.

After that, I was having to fight guys almost 6" taller than me...and having a long reach is a "MF" to get past if the guy is skilled.
No way, that's awesome! I wish I could gain 20lbs of muscle that fast. Especially since I don't compete, I'm not worried about weight.

Sounds like you have been training for a while now, were you able to make the adjustment in the ring at that weight or did you go back to your natural weight?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #38
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzinem View Post
No way, that's awesome! I wish I could gain 20lbs of muscle that fast. Especially since I don't compete, I'm not worried about weight.

Sounds like you have been training for a while now, were you able to make the adjustment in the ring at that weight or did you go back to your natural weight?

Lol....no. My amateur boxing career ended. I stayed with the weights and currently about 207lbs. But I still hit the bag and spar a little when cutting for summer. Plus I also hold a black belt in Aikido, so I take/teach classes when I can.

It's just that it's harder on your joints as you get older, so I have to be careful and balance everything as I tend to be an "all out" person....and I didn't want any injuries!
      10-02-2019, 08:21 PM   #39
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbrew View Post
That's what I love about it, no matter how good you are, you can always get better.
This is quite true about everything. Limit can be reached in one's ability to see beyond own achievements. Some accomplish that easily.

Quote:
It takes a more skilled guy to pass. Was Mike Tyson there already? Another example is karate superstar Rafael Aghayev. He's usually shorter (yet "wider") than his opponents. It's pointless seeking excuses for not making a legend. Especially as in a self-defence situation one's likelier to face bigger opponents.

I guess the whole idea of fighting skills is to overcome a disadvantage. Who needs a skill to beat a weakling? They say to become a good fighter one must defeat better ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 04:01 AM   #40
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
This is quite true about everything. Limit can be reached in one's ability to see beyond own achievements. Some accomplish that easily.

It takes a more skilled guy to pass. Was Mike Tyson there already? Another example is karate superstar Rafael Aghayev. He's usually shorter (yet "wider") than his opponents. It's pointless seeking excuses for not making a legend. Especially as in a self-defence situation one's likelier to face bigger opponents.

I guess the whole idea of fighting skills is to overcome a disadvantage. Who needs a skill to beat a weakling? They say to become a good fighter one must defeat better ones.
Great quotes and all, but this was just amateur boxing and not a fight for my life. Not everyone walking around on the street is going to be a trained fighter.

Also fighting isn't my profession, just a hobby to stay in shape.
      10-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #41
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Great quotes and all, but this was just amateur boxing and not a fight for my life. Not everyone walking around on the street is going to be a trained fighter.

Also fighting isn't my profession, just a hobby to stay in shape.
It's all right you opted out of boxing. I never even tried it. It's just your reasoning promoting a loose approach ("Not easy? Again?!! Damn it!!!" ) looked faulty to me. This isn't how it works to achieve even the least of results, I believe. Especially if you intend to prepare for "fight of your life". They suggest it's best to run. I just wanted to mention the right attitude it takes to succeed. Even about staying in shape.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      10-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #42
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
It's all right you opted out of boxing. I never even tried it. It's just your reasoning promoting a loose approach ("Not easy? Again?!! Damn it!!!" ) looked faulty to me. This isn't how it works to achieve even the least of results, I believe. Especially if you intend to prepare for "fight of your life". They suggest it's best to run. I just wanted to mention the right attitude it takes to succeed. Even about staying in shape.
Well I just posted a pic in the gym thread of where I am currently sitting at in regards to my shape at the moment. It just turned out that I was more suited for the weights than I was in other areas. I still boxed...just not competitively.

Also I started this thread, so the first post should give some history of how I arrived to where I'm at currently. Boxing was an outlet for me...also a way of connecting with my dad. He is the one who started me down the path of all the arts I did have the pleasure of working with.

I had no problem boxing at a higher body weight as I can assure you that I am quite hard headed! But the same as with Aikido....the older you get the more it takes its toll on your body. And it's not like I make a living off of it...it's something I do for fun.

I guess you can say that one path led me to another...but I have always put forth the effort no matter what I am doing. I have always been a solitary sport type of guy.

Crazy thing about genetics is that you can put 110% into something.....but there will always be someone else better at it than you are. And I don't believe it's because you didn't pay your dues....it's just the way life is.

And I am fine with that.
      10-03-2019, 01:26 PM   #43
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
there will always be someone else better at it than you are
There will always be someone (even ) worse at it than you are. If you care. You can always improve to explore your potential. If you wish. You can adjust the ratio between those two kinds mentioned. If you feel competitive (or even regardless, as a side effect of self development). It's a matter of attitude.

"Don't say "impossible". Just make a better future." How can you know how good you can be if you haven't tried (hard enough)? I recall the karate super champion Rafael Aghayev I mentioned shared there had been a current super champion he wished he would defeat some day. And he did. Those better ones aren't truly "better", they have their better ones too (and it could be you "some day"). They "only" achieved more than you have.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      10-04-2019, 02:29 AM   #44
Getzinem
Banned
Rep

There's more than one way to achieve your goal

Quote:
Well I just posted a pic in the gym thread of where I am currently sitting at in regards to my shape at the moment. It just turned out that I was more suited for the weights than I was in other areas. I still boxed...just not competitively.

Also I started this thread, so the first post should give some history of how I arrived to where I'm at currently. Boxing was an outlet for me...also a way of connecting with my dad. He is the one who started me down the path of all the arts I did have the pleasure of working with.

I had no problem boxing at a higher body weight as I can assure you that I am quite hard headed! But the same as with Aikido....the older you get the more it takes its toll on your body. And it's not like I make a living off of it...it's something I do for fun.

I guess you can say that one path led me to another...but I have always put forth the effort no matter what I am doing. I have always been a solitary sport type of guy.

Crazy thing about genetics is that you can put 110% into something.....but there will always be someone else better at it than you are. And I don't believe it's because you didn't pay your dues....it's just the way life is.

And I am fine with that.
Confident and humble, not a bad combination at all. There are several ways to keep in shape and I'm glad to hear that you have a better relationship with your dad because of it.

I actually take my dad with me to the gym almost every day and he's 71, so I can relate. This is great that we can share our ideas here and help each other out. Looking forward to seeing your progress!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00