BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Jalopnik: Horsepower As A Status Symbol, And Why Slow People Buy Fast Cars

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-11-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
M.A.R.C.
Second Lieutenant
M.A.R.C.'s Avatar
Jamaica
26
Rep
223
Posts

Drives: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Jalopnik: Horsepower As A Status Symbol, And Why Slow People Buy Fast Cars

http://jalopnik.com/horsepower-as-a-...buy-1723079245
__________________
Marc
2011 Space Grey Metallic E90 M3 DCT ZCP
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 01:07 AM   #2
Seattle M3
Private First Class
United_States
30
Rep
179
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 Comp Pack
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle, Wa

iTrader: (1)

So true!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 05:19 AM   #3
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
300
Rep
3,897
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

That is why I like McLaren, GT-R, NSX, Lexus F,..., they are not a status symbol.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
M.A.R.C.
Second Lieutenant
M.A.R.C.'s Avatar
Jamaica
26
Rep
223
Posts

Drives: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
well you're going to find people who buy almost any brand's performance model regardless of the reputation. Lots of celebs and sports stars have McLarens so I wouldn't think those are immune.
__________________
Marc
2011 Space Grey Metallic E90 M3 DCT ZCP
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 09:21 AM   #5
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
1939
Rep
2,479
Posts

Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
That is why I like McLaren, GT-R, NSX, Lexus F,..., they are not a status symbol.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 09:33 AM   #6
dsad1
Lieutenant Colonel
859
Rep
1,949
Posts

Drives: car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

I will admit I am a victim of this. Not really doing it for the status symbol, but more for the uniqueness of the car. There are less M's, AMG's, or RS's, on the road.

I also lease my cars, so when the residual of an m6 is the same as a 650, I feel like I might as well get the m6.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 09:33 AM   #7
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
300
Rep
3,897
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

BTW, I don't know what is wrong with "horsepower as status symbol". That sounds fine. What is worse is "badge as me too symbol".





Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedRide View Post
What wrong with that. I agree, now McLaren is rather well-known and has more positive brand perception than compared to the beginnings of the MP4-12C. As for the other cars, how many time we see people saying or witting "just a Ford/Chevrolet/Nissan/Toyota/Honda/Mazda".
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #8
gtron
powerhouse
gtron's Avatar
United_States
644
Rep
1,631
Posts

Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
That is why I like McLaren, GT-R, NSX, Lexus F,..., they are not a status symbol.
not sure if serious.
__________________
no signature. except for this one.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #9
jeveryday
Colonel
jeveryday's Avatar
United_States
71
Rep
2,334
Posts

Drives: 2012 535i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Island, New York

iTrader: (6)

Perhaps im the only one that didnt realize this was a thing... typically status symbol cars arent M's or cars that must go fast but more top luxury cars atleast in NY. In Long Island and NYC you'll see a Bentley, Rolls Royce or even a BMW 750 or S550 before you see someone of wealth and clout in a M, or S63.

Could also be that the wealthy also understand they have very limited space to utilize cars of those magnitudes in NY.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 10:08 AM   #10
dsad1
Lieutenant Colonel
859
Rep
1,949
Posts

Drives: car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeveryday View Post
Perhaps im the only one that didnt realize this was a thing... typically status symbol cars arent M's or cars that must go fast but more top luxury cars atleast in NY. In Long Island and NYC you'll see a Bentley, Rolls Royce or even a BMW 750 or S550 before you see someone of wealth and clout in a M, or S63.

Could also be that the wealthy also understand they have very limited space to utilize cars of those magnitudes in NY.
I don't know if status symbol is the right term, but there are a good amount of people that get the performance models just to say they have the top of the line model, even though they will never use the power.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #11
chris82
Brigadier General
chris82's Avatar
United_States
554
Rep
3,487
Posts

Drives: 128i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NY NY

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
This trend is going to get even worse now that you have cars like the 911 GT3, all Ferrari's, McLaren's, any modern supercar etc. all coming with automatic transmissions. I don't care what anybody says, those cars can all now be driven by people who know that the brake pedal stops, and the gas makes the car go forward. Before, at the bare minimum you had to learn to drive a stick shift pretty well, or prepare to be embarrassed by your lack of skill. Cars like the Carrera GT had punishing manual transmissions and clutches. I liked that exclusivity it gave those kind of cars. You want to drive the fastest cars with the most horsepower? Better learn to drive them at least. Now we are going to see rich f*cks who don't give a shit about driving in a GT3 and 458 Italia, etc.
Appreciate 2
      08-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #12
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
1671
Rep
6,880
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
As for the other cars, how many time we see people saying or witting "just a Ford/Chevrolet/Nissan/Toyota/Honda/Mazda".
Well... usually it's you writing that an Audi is just a FWD VW.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #13
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
300
Rep
3,897
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Well... usually it's you writing that an Audi is just a FWD VW.
Yes, except the R8, Audi is FWD based. Anyway is still seen as status, so your point is irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #14
swanson
Convicted Felon
swanson's Avatar
356
Rep
2,064
Posts

Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
This trend is going to get even worse now that you have cars like the 911 GT3, all Ferrari's, McLaren's, any modern supercar etc. all coming with automatic transmissions. I don't care what anybody says, those cars can all now be driven by people who know that the brake pedal stops, and the gas makes the car go forward. Before, at the bare minimum you had to learn to drive a stick shift pretty well, or prepare to be embarrassed by your lack of skill. Cars like the Carrera GT had punishing manual transmissions and clutches. I liked that exclusivity it gave those kind of cars. You want to drive the fastest cars with the most horsepower? Better learn to drive them at least. Now we are going to see rich f*cks who don't give a shit about driving in a GT3 and 458 Italia, etc.


I hate it too. Certain cars were always offered in manual only. I loved that exclusivity because it always weeded out the status guys that cant drive or dont want to drive stick. Now, almost all the cars are offered in auto/DCT. Thank God Ford didnt put an auto in the GT350.
Appreciate 2
      08-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #15
Railgun
Brigadier General
Railgun's Avatar
United Kingdom
911
Rep
3,026
Posts

Drives: FD, CBR600RR, F82
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 60606 --> SE3 --> ME14

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2016 SMB M4  [0.00]
1993 Mazda RX-7  [0.00]
2007 Honda CBR600RR  [0.00]
I may be in the bucket of few here, but never have I bought a car, or anything else for that matter, for the purposes of status. I hate that. Yes, if someone does, I'd call them out for being shallow, superficial, and whatnot, in particular if they're flaunting it, but at the end of the day, to each their own.

When I got my 335i, my cousin, while somewhat poking fun, gave me flack over it. Oooh, a BMW. Gimme a break. My reasoning for buying what I buy is based on what I enjoy, not what or how I want others to see me as. Did I need a BMW? No. Did I want it? Yes. Why? Because I enjoyed how it drove, looked, performed, etc. If someone wants to see it as a status symbol, then that's their own issues to contend with.

As for it being essentially another aspect of a HP war, meh. Will I use that power? Probably. Often? Probably. Will I drive like an asshat? No. Got that out of my system years ago. Will I still drive fast? Probably. I drove fast in my Saturn. No one cared. Now if I do it in a BMW, I'm an asshole who's showing off?

No. It's not a status symbol for me. I could care less if someone assumes that as we know where that goes. As a gear head, auto enthusiast...whatever, my choice is based on a fun factor, not some BS argument about whatever that article was trying to convey.
Appreciate 2
      08-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #16
JNoSol
Brigadier General
JNoSol's Avatar
United_States
1239
Rep
3,820
Posts

Drives: 750 MSPORT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post


I hate it too. Certain cars were always offered in manual only. I loved that exclusivity because it always weeded out the status guys that cant drive or dont want to drive stick. Now, almost all the cars are offered in auto/DCT. Thank God Ford didnt put an auto in the GT350.
My first car was a 6spd. Then I had several others (including Boosted Civics / EVO IX / 350z), because at that time I could shift faster than the auto option. I had my first DCT with the F80 M3 (it's unlike any auto I've owned). It's a game changer. While the guys at the track miss-shift once or twice per session with the traditional gear boxes, mine was flawless.

Going fast doesn't mean you need to have a 6spd anymore. There's more to it then showing off your heel-toe skills. There's cornering/gas feathering/steering/braking, shifting is just one aspect of putting down serious lap times. Not embracing the fact that DCTs are faster is like saying you prefer to change your TV channel manually, because remotes are for pussies.

The F1 cars are using Auto by the way.

As for HP as a status, it's a no-brainer. People buy things to feel special, being exclusive or unique, and for enjoyment. No one wants to buy something that everyone has. No one needs more than 300HP for everyday driving. But it's much more fun to have more power and something that not many people have. That's how night clubs are able to charge $500 for a $30 bottle of Grey Goose in the VIP section, because people spend money to feel special. Deep down inside, you have a BMW because it makes you feel special/unique as not many of your friends have one (with the spec sheets and performance results aside). It's a bonus that BMWs are enjoyable to drive and very luxurious.

If I had the means, would I buy a Bugatti Veyron? Ummm... YES and you would too.
__________________
Daily: G12 750 MSPORT Weekend Car: 981 GT4

Last edited by JNoSol; 08-12-2015 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #17
yousefnjr
Lieutenant Colonel
1515
Rep
1,957
Posts

Drives: 06 Z4MR, 19 i3S
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Why is it a surprise to the author that the hi-po models are the most expensive? In what universe is that not the case for any product? There are many reasons why somebody would be attracted to an M5, or any other expensive car, aside from its horsepower.

Classic Jalopnik garbage
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 12:12 PM   #18
Railgun
Brigadier General
Railgun's Avatar
United Kingdom
911
Rep
3,026
Posts

Drives: FD, CBR600RR, F82
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 60606 --> SE3 --> ME14

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2016 SMB M4  [0.00]
1993 Mazda RX-7  [0.00]
2007 Honda CBR600RR  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post

If I had the means, would I buy a Bugatti Veyron? Ummm... YES and you would to.
Just to play devil's advocate (and in reality) I don't think I would.

The car, while fast, does nothing for me. If we're talking money no object, there are several cars I would consider, but a Bugatti isn't one. Noble? probably not. Koenigsegg? Don't think so. Pagani? Nah. Would I go as "pedestrian" as Ferrari or Lambo? I suppose it depends.

I'd go old school first I think. Vector W8. Problems aside, I'd love one of those. I'd stick with some fun cars and even finish a project of mine. But over the top cars just for the sake of it being an over the top car. No can do.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #19
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
300
Rep
3,897
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
People buy things to feel special, being exclusive or unique, and for enjoyment. No one wants to buy something that everyone has.

If I had the means, would I buy a Bugatti Veyron? Ummm... YES and you would to.
It depends. Sometimes being special is being part of the group (think iPhone), everyone has it so should have it too.

As for the Veyron, no, I'd take a Huayra. Nothing is more special than that.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #20
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
1090
Rep
4,693
Posts

Drives: L'Orange
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [4.20]
who cares.......

i buy the best car i can and then drive it A LOT......try not to think about things any more than that.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #21
M.A.R.C.
Second Lieutenant
M.A.R.C.'s Avatar
Jamaica
26
Rep
223
Posts

Drives: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Why is it a surprise to the author that the hi-po models are the most expensive? In what universe is that not the case for any product? There are many reasons why somebody would be attracted to an M5, or any other expensive car, aside from its horsepower.

Classic Jalopnik garbage
I think you're assuming they're surprised about that. That's not surprising, the whole article was about people who end up with the performance model JUST BECAUSE it happens to be the most expensive. Not because of practicality per se. i.e. Why end up with an M5 over a 550i M sport

It's neither here nor there to me but you see it a lot and it's all based on your perspective. The only reason why I bought a BMW was because of the M3 pedigree as far as actual driving performance not because of it's reputation in the eyes of enthusiasts, fanboys, or people who see it as a status symbol.
__________________
Marc
2011 Space Grey Metallic E90 M3 DCT ZCP
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #22
JNoSol
Brigadier General
JNoSol's Avatar
United_States
1239
Rep
3,820
Posts

Drives: 750 MSPORT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Just to play devil's advocate (and in reality) I don't think I would.

The car, while fast, does nothing for me. If we're talking money no object, there are several cars I would consider, but a Bugatti isn't one. Noble? probably not. Koenigsegg? Don't think so. Pagani? Nah. Would I go as "pedestrian" as Ferrari or Lambo? I suppose it depends.

I'd go old school first I think. Vector W8. Problems aside, I'd love one of those. I'd stick with some fun cars and even finish a project of mine. But over the top cars just for the sake of it being an over the top car. No can do.
Money change people my friend. I'm a gear head, love working on cars. But if I had a billion in the bank, I wouldn't blink to spend on the fastest road going car. Especially those rare cars are considered an investment and go up in value over time. Like Jay Leno.. He has my dream car, the McLaren F1. Even Ralph Lauren has an McLaren F1 (maybe 2). Their prices have been climbing. Not all Ferraris and Lambo hold their value though, so you would have to get La Ferrari or something rare. Ferrari GTO 250 sold for $38M, because why? Some guy wants to feel "exclusive." He wanted the car that only a few others have.

Below is why you would want a very rare car like the GTO 250 / Veyron SS / Porsche GT4. They all go up in value because there's only a few made = people seek for exclusivity. Deep down inside, down to what you wear and what you do everyday boils down this. Human nature, can't fight it. That's why we survived so long and became top of the food chain, territorial behaviors and want to outdo ourselves including others. That's why socialism will never work, humans. Marketing companies know this and capitalize on this, offering more exclusive trims one year after another (Apple is a genius at this). Making you feel less and less exclusive with your existing purchase, until you give in.

The price development of the Ferrari GTO:
1962-4 (new): $18,500
1965: $4,000[20]
1965 (Dec): $10,500
1968 (Jun): $6,000
1969: $2,500 (Kruse International auction)
1971 (Jan): $9,500
1971 (Jul): $12,000
1973 (Jul): $17,500
1975 (Dec): $48,000
1978: $85,000
1980 (Mar): $180,000-200,000
1983: $300,000
1984: $500,000
1985: $650,000 (Number 3987GT)[21]
1986: $1,000,000
1987 (Oct): $1,600,000
1988 (Jul): $4,200,000
1989 (Jul): $10,000,000
1990 (Jan): $13,000,000
1993: $3,000,000-3,500,000 (Number 4219GT)[22]
1998: $6,000,000 (Number 3729GT)[23]
2000: $7,000,000 (Number 3413GT)[24]
2004: $10,600,000 (Number 3223GT)[25]
2010: $26,000,000 (Number 3943GT)[26]
2012 (May) $35,000,000 (Number 3505GT)[27]
2013 (Oct) $52,000,000 (Number 5111GT)[28]
2014 (Aug) $38,115,000 (Number 3851GT)[29][30]
__________________
Daily: G12 750 MSPORT Weekend Car: 981 GT4
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST