BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Pacific coast trip

04-28-2020, 04:29 PM   #23
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Speaking to San Diego, Pacific Coast Highway is a great drive. Be warned though, beaches are closed along with any parking lot near the beaches and the police are aggressively enforcing the closures/traffic laws. A few weekends ago I tried to get a few pictures of the sunset. Parked my car in what I thought was a discreet location and got rolled by Highway Patrol in about 30 seconds.
Thanks, hopefully they won't give me shit for just stopping to stretch my legs or I'll stop in store parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick6 View Post
i think your timeline is ambitious, having made most of the drives you might be contemplating. Phoenix to Orange County 6 hours with a stop in Newport Beach overnight. Newport Beach to Cambria-another long drive-one day. Cambria to Big Sur and beyond to Monterrey (scenic drives aplenty) another day's drive. Monterey/Carmel to LA-6 hours, LA to Phoenix-6 hours.

That's about 5 days without Oregon.
I got nothing going on, if it take extra days, it takes extra days. I'm in no rush. Planning to leave Thursday morning and probably back Sunday or Monday.
Appreciate 1
quick6750.50
      04-28-2020, 04:47 PM   #24
quick6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M6,BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxyblue View Post
Thanks, hopefully they won't give me shit for just stopping to stretch my legs or I'll stop in store parking lots.

I got nothing going on, if it take extra days, it takes extra days. I'm in no rush. Planning to leave Thursday morning and probably back Sunday or Monday.
make sure you do the 17 mile scenic drive in Pebble Beach-its beautiful!
Appreciate 1
E92inNC1704.50
      04-28-2020, 05:12 PM   #25
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Most hotels are not open, or are currently housing homeless people, here in LA.
What restaurants do you think are open in California Oregon or Washington? They arent, take out only.
I understand your desire to get out and do something but I don't think it makes sense right now, unless you plan to get takeout everywhere, and camp.
      04-28-2020, 05:38 PM   #26
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

Great ideas, I've been jonesing for a run up the California coast since I moved to Vegas 10 years ago. I'll be borrowing some of these suggestions once things return to normal.

I've done bits and pieces of a PCH run through the years but never all at once. I always enjoyed the San Diego to Santa Barbara run for Bimmerfest when it was held there.

Further south, the 74 that runs between San Clemente and Lake Elsinore is a great stretch of road.
Appreciate 1
E92inNC1704.50
      04-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #27
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Also, if you do this you’ll need a face mask. San Diego and LA require it.

But also good point mentioned above. Most hotels are closed and the ones that are open are mainly catering to homeless or those in mandatory quarantine. Food is to go only. Just want to be sure you are good with this.
Appreciate 1
E92inNC1704.50
      04-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #28
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick6 View Post
make sure you do the 17 mile scenic drive in Pebble Beach-its beautiful!
Looks awesome, will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
Most hotels are not open, or are currently housing homeless people, here in LA.
What restaurants do you think are open in California Oregon or Washington? They arent, take out only.
I understand your desire to get out and do something but I don't think it makes sense right now, unless you plan to get takeout everywhere, and camp.
I thought as much when I first thought of doing this. Won't be my first time sleeping in the car, won't be the last. I'm still young so I don't mind much. Looked up hotels and it's all "shared rooms", like 6-8 beds so I won't be doing that. I'll call around one night and see if anywhere around has a private room, I only really want one so I can shower. I also figured I'd be in store for a few days of eating take out. For me, pros of sparse traffic much outweighs the cons I've thought of as I really really despise Cali traffic.
Appreciate 1
pz6193274.00
      04-29-2020, 12:54 AM   #29
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Does Arizona not have shelter in place?

I had to cancel my trip to Santa Barbara, a snowboarding trip, and a camping trip due to Covid19. My M3 is sitting in my garage rotting for the past 1.5 months. As much as I love to travel right now, I don't think it is the right time.
      04-29-2020, 10:00 AM   #30
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post

I had to cancel my trip to Santa Barbara, a snowboarding trip, and a camping trip due to Covid19. My M3 is sitting in my garage rotting for the past 1.5 months. As much as I love to travel right now, I don't think it is the right time.
Travel is fine.... as long as you don't go much farther than your front door.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
yco5722.50
upstatedoc7555.50
      04-30-2020, 12:39 AM   #31
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Welp our governor just closed the beaches, overriding local ordinances.

Yet hundreds of people can still stand in lines for Costco.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 09:23 AM   #32
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Suggestion: Get some Butler Maps.

They're motorcycle maps (road) that highlight the best rides in each state (although CA is broken down into two maps). They have a TON of information on them and the best rides are color coded. I rode CO-UT-WY-ID-WA-OR-NorCal-SOCal-NV-AZ-NM-CO last year on my GS and the maps were absolutely invaluable-- out of 8500 miles, I was on the interstate less than 300. If you're wanting to find great roads, they're an outstanding resource.

And honestly? If I can burn the tires off of my GS on those roads, you'll have a blast in an M2.

https://www.butlermaps.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 05:41 PM   #33
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

how'd it go?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 12:05 AM   #34
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
how'd it go?
Really good though I ended up only doing 2 days cuz I was burned out. Traffic was really good both days, was able to do 65+ on highways entire time.

Left Thursday at 7AM and took my first break about 50 miles outside Pasadena around 11AM. About 40 miles away from Pasadena on I-10W there were houses on hills 2 or 3 miles to my right but it turned out they were at the base of this huge mountain and I couldn't see it because the smog was so thick, which was really surprising cuz I've been seeing pictures of clearer skies of heavily populated cities around the world from everyone staying home. Stopped at Dave's Dog for lunch in Santa Barbara, got two bacon wrapped one with sour cream and one with avocados, really good. Everything from Santa Barbara on looked fantastic as it got cooler and the vegetation got less desert-y. A bit north of Santa Barbara I was zoned out and passed through this 50 yard tunnel before I knew it and lowered my window and slowed to create a gap but was really bummed out that was the only one on the whole trip. Once I got past San Simeon on the 1 the road got really good, reminded me of the road to Hana in Maui. I thought Big Sur was a mountain bridge, later found out it was a scenic spot to look at waves crashing, which I got plenty of on the way back down. Went to do the 17 Mile Drive in Monterey but it was closed to visitors. Got to Santa Cruz and decided I was too burned out to continue to Eureka like I planned so turned back and spent the night in the parking lot of Lucky's on Del Monte Blvd in Monterey. Got there just after 10PM and had a hard time nodding off at first but probably got around 3-4 hours in.

Woke up and filled up at the Shell down the road and was back on the road by 630AM. Thursday I didn't stop along the coast cuz I like to just plow through on the first pass but made frequent stops on the way down. One thing that stood out was about 20 miles south of Big Sur there is some kind of camp ground and there were purple flowers that looked absolutely stunning with the sun hitting it just before sunset, the pic I took was at 735AM didn't do it justice. Was also surprised at the number of houses along the 1, I can understand building houses near cities but these were dozens of miles away. Took the 154 past Cachuma Lake back to Pasadena, gorgeous road and scenery. Stopped at Kosmos Burger in Pasadena late afternoon for lunch, got a bacon double cheese and chili cheese fries for only $11 and the portions were so big I couldn't even finish it. Drove inner streets a few miles to the last Shell and was disgusted by the quality of the roads, it looked like they laid it down in the 90s and have only done patchwork pothole repairs ever since. Stopped once at a rest stop about 100 miles outside of Phoenix and the restroom was surprisingly very clean. Got back around 8PM, drove just under 1600 miles.

Overall I really enjoyed my time on the road. Knowing traffic was light was a big motivator and it was 105F here at the time so being in the 60s was a treat. Wed night I only slept about 2 hours so there were hour long periods where I yawned continuously but I managed to plow through. I'm hoping to buy a car in Washington/Oregon in the future so I can drive it back and hit the 299-3-36 ring road in northern Cali and the 1 above San Francisco also looks fantastic.
Appreciate 2
      05-16-2020, 01:50 AM   #35
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post

Not as strict as a lot of places. Was in place until mid-May but a lot more stuff is available in the past week or so. Dad got a haircut this week..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 02:56 AM   #36
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Pch 1 north above ft Bragg is a killer road. Only time I got car sick driving
Appreciate 1
E92inNC1704.50
      05-16-2020, 08:02 AM   #37
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Did the trip happen?

Few friends and I are thinking of doing a road trip this coming weekend. I’m in NorCal. We’re thinking either heading South towards Big Sur and continue on, or go up North towards Oregon and visit one of the redwood national parks, or even open to driving to Phoenix. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 08:04 AM   #38
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Really good though I ended up only doing 2 days cuz I was burned out. Traffic was really good both days, was able to do 65+ on highways entire time.

Left Thursday at 7AM and took my first break about 50 miles outside Pasadena around 11AM. About 40 miles away from Pasadena on I-10W there were houses on hills 2 or 3 miles to my right but it turned out they were at the base of this huge mountain and I couldn't see it because the smog was so thick, which was really surprising cuz I've been seeing pictures of clearer skies of heavily populated cities around the world from everyone staying home. Stopped at Dave's Dog for lunch in Santa Barbara, got two bacon wrapped one with sour cream and one with avocados, really good. Everything from Santa Barbara on looked fantastic as it got cooler and the vegetation got less desert-y. A bit north of Santa Barbara I was zoned out and passed through this 50 yard tunnel before I knew it and lowered my window and slowed to create a gap but was really bummed out that was the only one on the whole trip. Once I got past San Simeon on the 1 the road got really good, reminded me of the road to Hana in Maui. I thought Big Sur was a mountain bridge, later found out it was a scenic spot to look at waves crashing, which I got plenty of on the way back down. Went to do the 17 Mile Drive in Monterey but it was closed to visitors. Got to Santa Cruz and decided I was too burned out to continue to Eureka like I planned so turned back and spent the night in the parking lot of Lucky's on Del Monte Blvd in Monterey. Got there just after 10PM and had a hard time nodding off at first but probably got around 3-4 hours in.

Woke up and filled up at the Shell down the road and was back on the road by 630AM. Thursday I didn't stop along the coast cuz I like to just plow through on the first pass but made frequent stops on the way down. One thing that stood out was about 20 miles south of Big Sur there is some kind of camp ground and there were purple flowers that looked absolutely stunning with the sun hitting it just before sunset, the pic I took was at 735AM didn't do it justice. Was also surprised at the number of houses along the 1, I can understand building houses near cities but these were dozens of miles away. Took the 154 past Cachuma Lake back to Pasadena, gorgeous road and scenery. Stopped at Kosmos Burger in Pasadena late afternoon for lunch, got a bacon double cheese and chili cheese fries for only $11 and the portions were so big I couldn't even finish it. Drove inner streets a few miles to the last Shell and was disgusted by the quality of the roads, it looked like they laid it down in the 90s and have only done patchwork pothole repairs ever since. Stopped once at a rest stop about 100 miles outside of Phoenix and the restroom was surprisingly very clean. Got back around 8PM, drove just under 1600 miles.

Overall I really enjoyed my time on the road. Knowing traffic was light was a big motivator and it was 105F here at the time so being in the 60s was a treat. Wed night I only slept about 2 hours so there were hour long periods where I yawned continuously but I managed to plow through. I'm hoping to buy a car in Washington/Oregon in the future so I can drive it back and hit the 299-3-36 ring road in northern Cali and the 1 above San Francisco also looks fantastic.
Dang very niiice. A ton of driving for sure but sounds like you had fun!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 04:56 PM   #39
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Not as strict as a lot of places. Was in place until mid-May but a lot more stuff is available in the past week or so. Dad got a haircut this week..
Pro sports are allowed w/no spectators, malls and restaurants are open now. My belief is we are re-opening faster than much of the country because the virus gets killed by heat and sunlight plus this is a GOP state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Pch 1 north above ft Bragg is a killer road. Only time I got car sick driving
Looks like an awesome road, I would have pass through it if I had the energy for a third day. Back to back nights of 2 and 3 hours of sleep plus spending 14 hours driving really wore me out. I am determined to see the rest of the coast up to Washington one day though, very few things puts me in a better mood than being in my car on a twisty road with beautiful scenery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Did the trip happen?

Few friends and I are thinking of doing a road trip this coming weekend. I’m in NorCal. We’re thinking either heading South towards Big Sur and continue on, or go up North towards Oregon and visit one of the redwood national parks, or even open to driving to Phoenix. Any thoughts or recommendations?
No better time than now with low traffic and before the weather gets hot. I wouldn't recommend coming to Phoenix though unless you go from Nov-March, then we have good weather and you guys can detour to Flagstaff for some skiing.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2020, 05:00 PM   #40
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Here is that field of flowers south of Big Sur.

Name:  20200501_073611.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  529.8 KB
Appreciate 1
quick6750.50
      05-16-2020, 05:41 PM   #41
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Great trip, glad you had fun!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 11:33 PM   #42
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Pro sports are allowed w/no spectators, malls and restaurants are open now. My belief is we are re-opening faster than much of the country because the virus gets killed by heat and sunlight plus this is a GOP state.
Parents are just outside Tucson so get daily or so updates on status in AZ.
Appreciate 0