BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Muscle Builders: Question?

08-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #23
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpimping View Post
choking the chicken is not working out...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #24
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

www.precisionnutrition.com

get the books, learn all you need to know. Forget 99% of the supplements, they are pretty much bullshit.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 09:38 AM   #25
Enjoiyourlife
Sensei
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

NO explode or any type of creatine is not neccessary. Actually, the NO products are not very good at all. They are filled with caffeine which constricts your veins. The NO is supposed to support blood flow to your muscles to give you that "pump" However, with the caffeine and constricted vestles, it doesnt quite work like it should.

Creatine products also add alot of water weight which makes your muscles swell while you are taking the product. But when you stop, they shrink.

Sure using both these products you will look like you gained muscle and you will feel a pump (caffeine), but you won't stay that way. Muscle memory doesn't really work with these supplements.

My suggestion:

lol i used to be a personal trainer so there is some validity to this...

If you want to gain muscle, you need about 1 gram of protein ingested per pound of body mass.

Also make sure to ingest 2000+ calories a day.

150 pound guy needs 150 grams of protein.

If you do cardio, you actually need to stack more protien (say about 25-50 grams over) and also add another 500 to your caloric intake. Otherwise your muscles will eat themselves. catabolic.

you can take glutamine to help with muscle recovery but it isnt completely neccessary. personally it is a waste of money for me.

Casien proteins are good before bed as they do not digest as quickly as whey.
You lose most of your body mass while you sleep so it's good not to take whey before bed as it digests in only an hour!

Building muscle is not really about your workout. You can workout all day and night, take these supplements and you won't see the greatest results. It is seriously about 90% of your diet. Eat 5 well balanced portioned meals a day. Never eat till you are full. You should never feel hungry. I usually eat protein bars during the day in between meals.

Eat well. Work our hard. Stack protein. You'll be ripped in no time :P
      08-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #26
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoiyourlife View Post
NO explode or any type of creatine is not neccessary. Actually, the NO products are not very good at all. They are filled with caffeine which constricts your veins. The NO is supposed to support blood flow to your muscles to give you that "pump" However, with the caffeine and constricted vestles, it doesnt quite work like it should.

Creatine products also add alot of water weight which makes your muscles swell while you are taking the product. But when you stop, they shrink.

Sure using both these products you will look like you gained muscle, but you won't stay that way. Muscle memory doesn't really work with these supplements.

My suggestion:

lol i used to be a personal trainer so there is some validity to this...

If you want to gain muscle, you need about 1 gram of protein ingested per pound of body mass.

Also make sure to ingest 2000+ calories a day.

150 pound guy needs 150 grams of protein.

If you do cardio, you actually need to stack more protien (say about 25-50 grams over) and also add another 500 to your caloric intake. Otherwise your muscles will eat themselves. catabolic.

you can take glutamine to help with muscle recovery but it isnt completely neccessary. personally it is a waste of money for me.

Casien proteins are good before bed as they do not digest as quickly as whey.
You lose most of your body mass while you sleep so it's good not to take why before bed.

Building muscle is not really about your workout. You can workout all day and night, take these supplements and you won't see the greatest results. It is seriously about 90% of your diet.

Eat well. Work our hard. Stack protein. You'll be ripped in no time :P

sadly this is the truth. All about your diet
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #27
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo>NA View Post
GUYs, who ever has sick muscles and knows how to get them and has alot of experience. I have a question....

Is it better to have a protein drink before a hard workout or is it better to have a protein drink after?
Just eat an hour before your workout. Preferrably something high in protein and lean. Chicken or Fish would be ideal.

Take a whey protein within 45 minutes following your workout. Whey is fast absorbtion, and will feed the muscles quickly. Take a casein (slow absortion protein before bed).

Eat a good dinner within 1.5 hours of working out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
i've read that after a workout you want protein + carbs to refule your glycogen stores taht were depleted during the workout.
Carbs would be a good idea. But depending on if your cutting or bulking would depend on how many carbs to have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98spoolinsupra View Post
Don't forget to use some dextrose with your post workout shake, it's just as important as the protein itself.
I've never heard this before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranzporter View Post
Cyto Gainer > Muscle Milk
Cyto has creatine. Not everyone wants to use creatine.

Bottom line. Eat clean and lean. Lean meats, high in protein.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #28
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

-I personally like... Optimum Nutrition, or ErgoPharm Pro as far as regular Whey proteins go. ErgoPharm is a better protein, but since you'll need to be drinking it a LOT, you'd be better off with something cheaper like Optimum.

-Eat lots of lean meats (obviously)... if you have to eat carbs, then try to eat whole wheat breads (and pastas).

-A good multi vitamin, and some Omega-3.
      08-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #29
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
First, ur running up hill is a type of lifting, but cardio doesnt build muscle the same way as if you are lifting. Not sure what your balance of running time to lifting time. If your running for 60 mins then lifting for 30 mins, odds are you're not getting close to your potential for muscle growth. I would reverse that time if I was you and only do the resistence running. But keep in mind once you're muscles adapt to that, you will stop building muscle and only be burning calories.

If you're running 60 mins and lifting 90 mins, then god bless you for having that much time in your day to work out.

FYI - dont need to do ab sit-ups every day, can actually be bad for you in the long run. Try doing rotating several different core moves over the days. Yes, you will be hitting your abs each day, but not in the same way and hopefully utilzing different stomach muscles.

How many day rotation are you on? Are you basically changing your whole workout routine once a month?

I have been running 40 mins everyday for 6 days, and I have been weight lifting for about 45 mins 4 to 5 times a week. I have been doing this routine for a little over a month, I like it but I want see more progress. I dont want to be all muscle and look like im on steriodss. My actual goal is to get slim, get AB's, and have cut biceps and a nice chest. Thats it,

What do you think of muscle milk? is that stuff bad?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #30
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Quote:
I've used it, its not bad and actually tastes good. However, I prefer CytoGainer because its higher in protein and its a whey protein which absorbs to the muscles faster.

If you're gonna use Muscle Milk though, get the light version. 44% fewer calories than the regular MM.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #31
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
NO explode or any type of creatine is not neccessary. Actually, the NO products are not very good at all. They are filled with caffeine which constricts your veins.

I take NOexplode for the energy boost and the benefits of the creatine. Yes caffeine does restrict veins, hence the NO found in NOexplode and the Nitrix. Regardless, I work out at 7-8 every night after a long day and NOexplode gives me the energy and endurance to push my workouts to the limit. Just a suggestion.

Quote:
Only certain types of creatine give this bloated effect, NOexplode being one that doesnt (at least for me) cause added water weight. I have taken other types of creatine and notice the immediate addition of water. This is not what I am personally looking for, as my goals are very much in-line with the OP. I cycled off after my first container of NOexplode and didn't drop a pound. Either way, its how it effects each person, whether is works or not is up to each person that uses it.

Either way, my comments are just what I have been using and the results, do I think that taking those supplements are the only reason for my improvements, hell no. Do I think they contributed to the overall effort, yes. To each his own.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #32
Enjoiyourlife
Sensei
Rep

^^ agreed.
      08-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #33
mithiral67
That guy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have been running 40 mins everyday for 6 days, and I have been weight lifting for about 45 mins 4 to 5 times a week. I have been doing this routine for a little over a month, I like it but I want see more progress. I dont want to be all muscle and look like im on steriodss. My actual goal is to get slim, get AB's, and have cut biceps and a nice chest. Thats it,
Personally, I would cut down on the cardio and increase weight training. If you want to loss fat, just put on muscle and watch your diet. The idea that cardo is the key to getting ripped is an out dated idea that any current personal trainer and health article will support.

You want to loss body weight, then burn more calories then you eat, right? But if you are not careful (ie a starvation diet or excess cardo), you will be burning fat and muscle. This isnt your goal.

Remember, for each pound of muscle you add, you add 35-45 more calories your body burns in a day just for your body to maintain it, let alone excersice it. Also remember, that your body needs time to burn fat as energy, its likely your not even burning fat as energy during your cardio workouts. But if you increase your metabolism all day (by adding muscle) and eat the 5-6 small meals a day, you will always be running at a moderate to low caloric deficit at any give time. This causes your body to slowly burn fat as energy.

If you want to loss body fat, use a balance of cardio (3 times a week for 30 mins - remember, cardio doesnt increase your metabolism) and resistence training (5 times a week for at least 1 hour) to build muscle and increase your metabolism.

Again, just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #34
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
-I personally like... Optimum Nutrition, or ErgoPharm Pro as far as regular Whey proteins go. ErgoPharm is a better protein, but since you'll need to be drinking it a LOT, you'd be better off with something cheaper like Optimum.

-Eat lots of lean meats (obviously)... if you have to eat carbs, then try to eat whole wheat breads (and pastas).

-A good multi vitamin, and some Omega-3.
Correction to this. You want to eat whole GRAINS. The whole grains contain a lot more nutrients, than the the processed whole wheats. But whole wheats are good, just saying.
Quote:

I know you didn't technically ask me, but I'll answer anyways.

Muscle Milk is a lot better for someone on a bulk. And it also depends on your metabolism. I use MM every once in a while, combined with a 100% whey. The best time to take it would be just before bed since it's slower absorbing than way.

I enjoy it with a glass of Whole Milk. Nothing like getting a boat load of calories in a drink.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #35
mithiral67
That guy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Never used it, heard it was good and heard it sucked. I have never researched it, cause I can't bring myself to take something called Muscle Milk.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #36
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Another thing that should be done is not stick to just one protein powder. Take one brand 3 or 4 times, then switch to another brand. So you're body isn't getting use to one type of formula. And you see what else is out there.

Also, one protein could bother your stomach, while another won't. That's another case of trial and error.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #37
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
Another thing that should be done is not stick to just one protein powder. Take one brand 3 or 4 times, then switch to another brand. So you're body isn't getting use to one type of formula. And you see what else is out there.
So even though a lot of supplement companies source their powders from the same supplier, your body wont get used to the exact same powder since they put that powder into jugs with different labels on them. Makes sense.

Dont forget to implement a rotating shopping scheme as well - buying chicken and beef from a different grocery store each time so your body doesnt get used to the chickens and cows from the suppliers each grocery store uses. Gotta switch it up, keep your body guessing, bro. You know, bro.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #38
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
Muscle Milk is a lot better for someone on a bulk..
Why exactly? Im assuming because of the fat content. Do you only eat fats when your bulking?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #39
krnshinsa
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

post work out meaning after! your muscles begin to absorb during 30 mins after your workout meaning a protein shake would be best sufficient during that time. Also don't forget a post workout meal especially after a good workout. Look into casein protein which is basically a time released protein which is best before you go to bed.

Muscle milk may taste good but its full of unnecessary ingredients that you really don't need. I recommend ON whey.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #40
spanishooligan
Crazy red bimmer
Spain
Rep
Drives: 320d e90 japanrot

Garage List
2006 E90 320d  [0.00]
drink powerthirst

Sig by Nikki
Japanrot 320d
18x8'5 m6 replicas
COOL GAME---->http://spanishooligan.mybrute.com
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #41
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

I have lost 60 lbs so far with mostly cardio, I used to run 5 days out of the week, and I ran a total of 4 miles a day with one 20min break in between.

I just recently started weight lifting and doing AB's. I have been do this for about 2 months, In my experience I have gained muscle cuts and looks. My chest has also become a little stronger. My thighs and legs are probably in the best condition ever because of my running.

What is bothering more now is my love handles, I have look buff or what ever you call it, but my love handles suck dick, I need help with those too. I want to work on my handles 7 days a week.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #42
mithiral67
That guy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have lost 60 lbs so far with mostly cardio, I used to run 5 days out of the week, and I ran a total of 4 miles a day with one 20min break in between.

I just recently started weight lifting and doing AB's. I have been do this for about 2 months, In my experience I have gained muscle cuts and looks. My chest has also become a little stronger. My thighs and legs are probably in the best condition ever because of my running.

What is bothering more now is my love handles, I have look buff or what ever you call it, but my love handles suck dick, I need help with those too. I want to work on my handles 7 days a week.
How old are you? If your getting close to 30 or older, those bastards are the last to go. Sounds like you lost a decent amount of weight. I would pick up a little more lifting to put on more muscle if thats you're goal. Only time will work those love handles off.

Also, the more weight you lose, the better your body will get at using energy, meaning more sacrifices to get the same results. Make sure your goals are reasonable and wont push you so hard you burn out and give up all together.

Never use a diet or workout plan that you can't see yourself keeping up in the long run. Yes, if you push it hard in the short run to get some immediate results, but you will have to work as well to maintain it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #43
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Serious question...From some I have heard that it is a myth and other's the opposite.

You know how your coaches always told you to not jerkoff before a game/meet or something? Does doing so really affect your athletic ability?

Sometimes after a really hard work out and when I know I will be hurting the next day, if I have sex or something I end up not hurting the next day, or feel like the muscle I worked out the day before isn't tight like it should be. However, if I don't have sex on the day that I worked out, the next day everything will be fine. Also, if I have sex before working out I find that I am not as strong as I would be. Is this all in my mind or is this because of the release of testosterone that is occuring?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #44
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
Serious question...From some I have heard that it is a myth and other's the opposite.

You know how your coaches always told you to not jerkoff before a game/meet or something? Does doing so really affect your athletic ability?

Sometimes after a really hard work out and when I know I will be hurting the next day, if I have sex or something I end up not hurting the next day, or feel like the muscle I worked out the day before isn't tight like it should be. However, if I don't have sex on the day that I worked out, the next day everything will be fine. Also, if I have sex before working out I find that I am not as strong as I would be. Is this all in my mind or is this because of the release of testosterone that is occuring?
There is some correlation.

There was a study done that found t-levels drop immediately after sex, remain stable for 6 days, and increase something like ~150% on the 7th day and then return to baseline, IIRC. This is assuming you dont have sex again during that time.

As for having sex the day of, yea I can imagine a decrease in performance. Im not exactly sure of the mechanisms that would be responsible, but im sure t-levels are involved.

Not sure about the "tightness" issue.
Appreciate 0