BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography How to shoot a "Rolling shot"?

10-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

How to shoot a "Rolling shot"?

There are numerous pictures in the picture gallery of the 'rolling shot', which is an awesome way of photographing a car in motion. I have a Nikon D40 SLR & a Canon Rebel Xti...How do you shoot a 'rolling shot' is my question? What are the settings in which you have the camera on, and are there any tips/pointers for shooting in this style? I'm pretty familiar with both cameras. I hope I'm not asking a redundant question. Thanks!

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
nhhiep
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

not sure about Canon, but I have a Nikon. Turn VR on. use AF-C. set it to multiple shooting mode. pan your camera with the car(to keep it in focus) when it is in motion. then hold down the button, it will snap many pictures in a row, just pick the sharpest one.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutballa View Post
There are numerous pictures in the picture gallery of the 'rolling shot', which is an awesome way of photographing a car in motion. I have a Nikon D40 SLR & a Canon Rebel Xti...How do you shoot a 'rolling shot' is my question? What are the settings in which you have the camera on, and are there any tips/pointers for shooting in this style? I'm pretty familiar with both cameras. I hope I'm not asking a redundant question. Thanks!
This is something I'd like to learn as well.

Good question OP .....

BTW, why aren't you on the Austin Dinner Thread and meeting up with us!!??

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
To keep the car sharp but motion blur the background, you can either shoot stationary and pan with the subject, or shoot from another vehicle moving at the same speed. Try different shutter speeds, depending on how fast the car is moving and how far it is from you (how fast it moves across the frame). The closer it is to you or the faster it is going, the faster the shutter you want. For most rolling shots reasonably large in the frame, shutter is around 1/30", but your best results are likely to be anywhere from 1/4" to 1/60". I see a lot of ad shots taken from cameras mounted low on a chase car, using a short lens and a shutter speed on the longer end of that spectrum.

Keep in mind that although the background will be blurred, you want it to be recognizable, so too long a shutter is no good. Also, many photographers wrongly figure that since the background is blurred, it doesn't matter so much, but the good ones know that the background is still important, even in a motion blur shot. So pay attention to your surroundings and shoot it when the background sets off or frames the car nicely.

Here's a tutorial: http://digital-photography-school.co...ur-photography
      10-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
speed_dmon
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E92

Everybody calls these "rolling shots" but the proper term is panning shot. nhhiep pretty much summed it up but also make sure to put the focus mode on servo. This allows focus to stay on the car as you move the camera while engaging the auto focus. Google "panning shot" and I'm sure you will find lots of pointers. Check this out, it's from a photography board that I'm a member of
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...hlight=panning

Last edited by speed_dmon; 10-21-2009 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

'Make panning shots like a pro' - tutorial

http://www.carphototutorials.com/mak...like_a_pro.php

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
Teshi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Blue/Usually full of camera ge

How about this? This was something I put together a while ago. You have also the option of car rigs. They get expensive but they work.

Heres how I had to work. A rig was mounted and then a capture taken when stationary to use the lines for the final picture. Since there is no motion, the learning lines such as joints for body panels are at their sharpest. Not one foot of the rig is removed also.

Setup

The car is then set into motion for the rest of the capture.

Shot

Then I have to go crazy and spend time in PS finalising the shot. Had to use a stupidly small app due to no available ND grad. Was ISO50 @ f/22 and still only managed 1/3 second.

The final shot

[Larger Version]
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: R56 Cooper S

Shooting from the back of a truck works great:

Or you can always fake rolling shots using PS, but they don't look as good. Here's a couple fake ones I've done:

Last edited by anthony @ eas; 10-20-2009 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
This is something I'd like to learn as well.

Good question OP .....

BTW, why aren't you on the Austin Dinner Thread and meeting up with us!!??
I've been to one BMW meet once over at BeeCave, in Lakeway. I'll have to check out the Austin threads. I always forget to look.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #10
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Awesome! Thanks for the information, techniques and tips.

Appreciate 0