BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Dodge Dart sports compact debut at NAIAS. This would be great daily beater!

01-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
'Darkside'
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Thumbs up Dodge Dart sports compact debut at NAIAS. This would be great daily beater!

http://www.dartoc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3

That price is amazing for decent styling and all that options and equipment.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

That thing is straight up ugly.

I actually like the new ford fusion that just debuted. It has an aston martin look front.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Darkside' View Post
http://www.dartoc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3

That price is amazing for decent styling and all that options and equipment.
Possibly the most impressive car to debut so far ... 3 solid engine choices (and I expect an SRT-4 model with 270+ hp within a year), and what's this? a DDCT?

I was impressed with that alone, but backup camera? HID headlights? on a compact model??

It's not a looker, but neither are its competitors (except maybe Hyundai, but the Elantra is not being marketed as a sporty compact).
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #4
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

I only ask one thing of American manufacturers every year and that's the improvement of interiors. For some reason, it seems impossible to do. They either look like they are created for an old man as in the case of Cadillac or created out of the same plastics that model cars are made out of. Then the designs reek of pure corniness; for Ford, GM and Dodge it seems that no matter how hard they try to steer away from their typical crappy interior designs; the old soul of the cars always sneaks in (and that's not a good thing).
      01-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
I only ask one thing of American manufacturers every year and that's the improvement of interiors. For some reason, it seems impossible to do. They either look like they are created for an old man as in the case of Cadillac or created out of the same plastics that model cars are made out of. Then the designs reek of pure corniness; for Ford, GM and Dodge it seems that no matter how hard they try to steer away from their typical crappy interior designs; the old soul of the cars always sneaks in (and that's not a good thing).
You are posting this in a thread about a car that starts at $16k?

What kind of interior design and craftsmanship do you think BMW could provide in a $16k package? Nothing with four wheels....
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
You are posting this in a thread about a car that starts at $16k?

What kind of interior design and craftsmanship do you think BMW could provide in a $16k package? Nothing with four wheels....
You must have never heard of a Hyundai Elantra... I have driven one, sat inside one and touched almost every panel inside it. I can assure you that standard wise, quality wise, integrity wise and look wise it is on par with a 1 series BMW. Either way, cost wise it's an irrelevant argument because it pertains to American cars even up to $100K.

01-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
You must have never heard of a Hyundai Elantra... I have driven one, sat inside one and touched almost every panel inside it. I can assure you that standard wise, quality wise, integrity wise and look wise it is on par with a 1 series BMW. Either way, cost wise it's an irrelevant argument because it pertains to American cars even up to $100K.
I've sat in one as well, and it definitely does have a unique design going for it, but hardly ergonomic or laid out for ease of operation. It's made to look really nice and unique, which it accomplishes. Also, I don't know what you're talking about in terms of quality materials with the Elantra as compared to other makes.... I sat in an Avenger yesterday which may not have had the unique layout of an Elantra, but the materials were absolutely on par with it. I'm assuming the Dart's interior will be made of similar materials.

That being said, American automakers still aren't where we'd like them to be in terms of interior quality and design, but to say that they haven't made strides recently is nothing but ignorant.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I've sat in one as well, and it definitely does have a unique design going for it, but hardly ergonomic or laid out for ease of operation. It's made to look really nice and unique, which it accomplishes. Also, I don't know what you're talking about in terms of quality materials with the Elantra as compared to other makes.... I sat in an Avenger yesterday which may not have had the unique layout of an Elantra, but the materials were absolutely on par with it. I'm assuming the Dart's interior will be made of similar materials.

That being said, American automakers still aren't where we'd like them to be in terms of interior quality and design, but to say that they haven't made strides recently is nothing but ignorant.
To say that they haven't made strides would be incorrect but saying they have made serious strides is like saying they won a specific type of Olympics if you know what I am getting at. As far as the Avenger; I can't agree. The closest I can get to a decent interior in an American car in this class, would be the new Ford Focus.
      01-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
You do know that it is a Fiat?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
c2k
Banned
Rep
Drives: Acura 3.2 TL

Not sure if you've come across these videos just yet, but Toyota's got a new virtual motor show video from their booth at NAIAS:

Also, there's a full length follow up to the NS4 Plug in Hybrid teaser we released last week:

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Holy Crap, that OP must have dumped his entire CF/SD card into the thread, crappy pics and all.

Way too much electronic BS on that thing. Like driving an iPhone.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

That is one helluva rental car...
Appreciate 0