BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos What if we had an Autobahn in the U.S.?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
Bighorns
bimmer newb
Bighorns's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hi Dez CA

iTrader: (0)

What if we had an Autobahn in the U.S.?

If we were to create Autobahns in the U.S., how fast would you drive it?
I would probably cruise the minivan at 75 MPH, and the BMW cruise would be set at 90-95 MPH, with an occasional jaunt up into the triple digits to overtake slower traffic before settling back in to cruise speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Cuz5150
Major
Cuz5150's Avatar
161
Rep
1,493
Posts

Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

IMHO we don't need Autobahns in the USA. We just need comment sense speed limits.
Cars today stop and go and have all the electronic safety assists.
I would be the happiest person in the USA if all the interstates/highways/turnpikes had the magical number of 90MPH. I feel that is a "sweet spot" of speed, that would satisfy the majority and still safe guard people from deaths................../end.

Also, i would give incentives to buses, trucks, and 18wheelers to travel at night between 10pm to 6am with out paying any tolls/fees/ or having to stop at scales. This would make day travel for cars, safer and faster with less jams and such....
__________________
-Diplomacy is saying, "nice doggie while trying to find a rock"-
07-Z4 coupe-Black/Black/6MT/sport/premium/X
04-M3 vert-Black/Imolla/6MT/Cold/Xenon/HK/
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD

Last edited by Cuz5150; 01-05-2014 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
hellrotm
Major General
3027
Rep
6,409
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ...Location...Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorns View Post
If we were to create Autobahns in the U.S., how fast would you drive it?
I would probably cruise the minivan at 75 MPH, and the BMW cruise would be set at 90-95 MPH, with an occasional jaunt up into the triple digits to overtake slower traffic before settling back in to cruise speed.
There are a couple toll roads in Texas with speed limits of 85mph. I know not unlimited, but being able to drive at 90mph with cruise control on without worry of a ticket is quite nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
Bighorns
bimmer newb
Bighorns's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hi Dez CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz5150 View Post
IMHO we don't need Autobahns in the USA. We just need comment sense speed limits.
Cars today stop and go and have all the electronic safety assists.
I would be the happiest person in the USA if all the interstates/highways/turnpikes had the magical number of 90MPH. I feel that is a "sweet spot" of speed, that would satisfy the majority and still safe guard people from deaths................../end.

Also, i would give incentives to buses, trucks, and 18wheelers to travel at night between 10pm to 6am with out paying any tolls/fees/ or having to stop at scales. This would make day travel for cars, safer and faster with less jams and such....
^^Totally agree with this in practical terms. This was a dreamy 'what if' question.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
MediaArtist's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
1,186
Posts

Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Laguna Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

Ugh, this thread comes up every 5-6 months. Someone will watch a video about the Autobahn on history channel and then log onto a car forum and have the bright idea "Hey why not in the U.S?"

The best answer I've ever seen on any of the car forums I visit, wish I remembered who said it so I could quote them, but here it is:

Quote:
The reason an autobahn wouldn't work in the U.S is because 2 hours after opening it, our highways would look like kids playing Grand Theft Auto V.
__________________
'13 Audi A6
'07 Porsche GT3 RS
'08 BMW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
Arben72
Banned
Albania
38
Rep
463
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

If we had an autobahn in the states I'd refrain from driving on it the first month, let Darwinism sort itself out. We can easily make our infrastructure handle high speeds but our drivers ed has failed to make people competent drivers.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
ptack
Brigadier General
ptack's Avatar
United_States
169
Rep
4,442
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.25]
the problem's not the road, it's the drivers
__________________
135i, SGM, Coral, Sport Package, Auto, Premium Hifi, USB/ipod, Apex EC-7s, PPK Stage II
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #8
yousefnjr
Lieutenant Colonel
1601
Rep
1,995
Posts

Drives: 06 Z4MR, 19 i3S, 20 X7
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Agree with similar thoughts here, americans aren't responsible enough for that kind of thing. Maybe if it was way harder to get your license.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
Chihuahua
Colonel
Chihuahua's Avatar
1489
Rep
2,178
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SE US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
the problem's not the road, it's the drivers
+1

Driving Education in this country is sorely lacking. It, along with cost of construction, is why a US autobahn will never happen.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #10
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
The Automotive Enthusiast's Avatar
United_States
2226
Rep
3,216
Posts

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: DMV

iTrader: (1)

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #11
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
pmeloche's Avatar
Canada
22
Rep
1,611
Posts

Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal, Canada

iTrader: (0)

There is an autobahn in the U.S of A, it's called the highway system in California. Each time I drive over there it feels like there is no speed limit, no matter how fast I drive I'm being passed by a horde of a speeding maniacs.
__________________

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #12
hellrotm
Major General
3027
Rep
6,409
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ...Location...Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeloche View Post
There is an autobahn in the U.S of A, it's called the highway system in California. Each time I drive over there it feels like there is no speed limit, no matter how fast I drive I'm being passed by a horde of a speeding maniacs.
Truth.

It is great. There is basically no where for cops to set up speed traps on the 405. So really the only way to get a ticket is not noticing a cop behind you.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 11:02 PM   #13
Bighorns
bimmer newb
Bighorns's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hi Dez CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev ///Me View Post
Another poster who sees through the rhetoric spewed by the government and insurance companies! This video is very well done!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 06:55 AM   #14
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Robin_NL's Avatar
Netherlands
5070
Rep
7,487
Posts

Drives: HS M2 Competition
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands/ Lilyhammer, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
the problem's not the road, it's the drivers
This.

But 10/15 years ago the speeds on the Autobahn were much higher, the environmental/green lobby & recession takes its toll, cars are driving much slower on the Autobahn atm. In some parts heavy traffic doesn't allow it either.

I remember driving every spring from my hometown via Germany to Basel Switzerland for about 10 years. Speeds are going down overthere.

Last time(sept 13) we took about 10 mins of Autobahn and >160kmh/100mph some local Germans were already in the way blocking us...

The myth soon will be over I'm afraid.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #15
Bighorns
bimmer newb
Bighorns's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hi Dez CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
This.

But 10/15 years ago the speeds on the Autobahn were much higher, the environmental/green lobby & recession takes its toll, cars are driving much slower on the Autobahn atm. In some parts heavy traffic doesn't allow it either.

I remember driving every spring from my hometown via Germany to Basel Switzerland for about 10 years. Speeds are going down overthere.

Last time(sept 13) we took about 10 mins of Autobahn and >160kmh/100mph some local Germans were already in the way blocking us...

The myth soon will be over I'm afraid.

Cheers
Robin

Your post supports the point that the majority of drivers will drive at a speed that they feel comfortable with, and safe, regardless of where the speed limit is set.
The intent of my original post was not meant to be serious, but it has taken that turn. But because it went serious, the excellent point was brought up that we have artificially low speed limits which actually increase accidents.
Of course unlimited speed limits are not practical. It was a "what if" fantasy question, just like, "what if you hit the lottery?"
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #16
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
1973
Rep
7,029
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
the problem's not the road, it's the drivers
I actually disagree completely.

An autobahn simply wouldn't work in most of the most traveled roads in the northeast. Too many turns and too many people. I drive 12 miles (all highway) to work each day and it takes me over a half hour on average. This has nothing to do with the drivers but everything to do with the capacity of the transportation infrastructure in and around most of our major cities. Until I went to California, I had never even seen a four or five lane highway. For the most part, three lanes is just all we have in New England.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 11:30 PM   #17
Steenos
Lieutenant
United_States
35
Rep
570
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 M Coupe  [0.00]
If highway drivers would just gtfo of the left lane things would be a lot safer.
__________________
2007 Z4mc | ESS VT1 455 kit | Valentine 1 Hardwired | Stromung | DKF Section 1 | Apex EC7 Anthracite | Active Auto Headers | ZHP Shift Knob |
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #18
hellrotm
Major General
3027
Rep
6,409
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ...Location...Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenos View Post
If highway drivers would just gtfo of the left lane things would be a lot safer.
This.

Slow left lane drives f*cking blow!

In most states it is illegal if you are not driving with flow of traffic in left lane. They need to start ticketing people for this.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #19
tuj
First Lieutenant
37
Rep
376
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Puerto Rico

iTrader: (0)

I drove on the Autobahn between Bohn and the Nurburgring. First off, a lot of it has a speed limit on it now. Secondly, most of it is 2-lanes, and lorries (trucks) dominate the right lane. So lets say you are cruising at 100mph and a truck decides to pull a passing maneuver right in front of you at 55mph....bad things happen.

Germany also won't let you drive a car with more than 200hp unless you are 25. (or at least it used to be that way)
__________________
Back in business after 2.5 months with no car!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #20
Bighorns
bimmer newb
Bighorns's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hi Dez CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuj View Post
I drove on the Autobahn between Bohn and the Nurburgring. First off, a lot of it has a speed limit on it now. Secondly, most of it is 2-lanes, and lorries (trucks) dominate the right lane. So lets say you are cruising at 100mph and a truck decides to pull a passing maneuver right in front of you at 55mph....bad things happen.

Germany also won't let you drive a car with more than 200hp unless you are 25. (or at least it used to be that way)
This sounds like Hwy 15 to Vegas: 2 lanes, you're cruising along at a good clip in the left lane, about to pass a line of trucks in the right lane, and just as you approach them one of the trucks pulls out of line to pass, right in front of you, at HALF YOUR SPEED, then proceeds to pass the slower truck in front of him at exactly 2 MPH more than the truck he is passing. There are no other cars behind you, so you start to wonder why the heck he couldn't wait the 5 seconds it would have taken you to pass him before he pulled out.
It takes everything in me, when this happens, to NOT ease over in front of these clowns, and ease his speed down. Don't want to punish everyone else though in the process!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #21
Glina
Lieutenant
Poland
178
Rep
477
Posts

Drives: 17 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenos
If highway drivers would just gtfo of the left lane things would be a lot safer.
This.

Europe has 100 x more intelligent drivers. Autobahn wouldn't work in America. Too many clueless and selfish drivers. You have people here driving faster in the right lane than the left one or 3 cars in three lanes driving at a same speed next to each other..... I could go on and on. In Europe people studying 6 months to pass a driving written exam. Here it takes 2 hours before exam to memorize few pages.

In Europe if a cop pulls you over for some traffic violation, 95% out of 100; motorists know why they got pulled over for. Here if a driver gets pull over, 95% out of 100; doesn't knows why they got pulled over for.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 10:15 PM   #22
CirrusSR22
Major
287
Rep
1,312
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

Probably mostly driver education and training. Back in the early 1970s Germany's roads/Autobahns were more dangerous than US roads. So they haven't always done it right. I would assume the death rates were so high they started better training to fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST