BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Ferrari F1:Oil in intercoolers.

10-31-2019, 03:36 AM   #67
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Merc has won about half of the races in the Turbo-Hybrid era. An era which is going to continue with only aero regulations changing. The Scuderia was right to work on upgrading their PU first and worry about the aero later. This was the Merc formula in 2014.

Think about it for a second. Merc has been back for 10 years and have won 60% of the WDCs and WCCs with no end in sight. As long as HAM is there they have the most relentless and productive driver on the grid. They are a nearly unstoppable juggernaut dominating through 3 Formula changes since 2014 and there is no reason to believe that this won't continue.

That's the technical part. Now let's discuss management and strategic operations. Ferrari is a joke on both accounts. Their Machiavellian ways of managing personnel as well as the leadership team is criminal and creates instability that makes it impossible to foster the best efforts from their team.

Strategy...only one way to describe it. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. They have 6 pole positions in the second half of the season and little to show for it. This won't stop until they fully stabilize their management ethos and move from an environment of blame to one of free thought and transparency.

If Merc stays in for another decade, it is highly likely that they will approach the total that Fezza did over 70 years in less than 25.
Yeah but it's six of one and half dozen of the other.
Merc was fortunate to have Schumi move to them and in this short period helped them with a lot of technical info and secrets from Ferrari which they took full advantage of.
Ferrari now gives freedom to BOTH its drivers, like at RB and I'm sure a few others and how refreshing from the slave confines currently at Merc where one driver obeys orders or faces being kicked out.Makes their championships look somewhat paper tigerish.
Another one for you.
Sir Roger Moore did seven Bond 007 films
Sean Connery did seven Bond 007 films
That makes the late Moore AND Connery the best 007's to date.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2019, 07:52 AM   #68
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Yeah but it's six of one and half dozen of the other.
Merc was fortunate to have Schumi move to them and in this short period helped them with a lot of technical info and secrets from Ferrari which they took full advantage of.
Ferrari now gives freedom to BOTH its drivers, like at RB and I'm sure a few others and how refreshing from the slave confines currently at Merc where one driver obeys orders or faces being kicked out.Makes their championships look somewhat paper tigerish.
Another one for you.
Sir Roger Moore did seven Bond 007 films
Sean Connery did seven Bond 007 films
That makes the late Moore AND Connery the best 007's to date.
I'm not certain what you're thinking of here but MSC was 3 years out of F1 at this point. 3 years. Think about that in F1. It's like half a century.

The facts are they developed a car that chewed up tires during that 3 years and that is what HAM walked into. Quick enough to get pole then went backwards. Until the end of the 2013 season when, suddenly, it began getting better.

And the fact is that Ross Brawn had just won a WDC in 2009. He was always the brains and leader of the team. The car developed by MSC and ROS was a mid-field queen with one win in 3 years. When HAM joined the team the car became a more stable platform and real development began.

And before anyone begins to talk about the technical prowess of ROS, remember: He couldn't make the car go fast until the technical team did a complete analysis of HAMs driving and delivered a dossier of more than 100 pages to teach him how to drive. ROS. The intellectual driver. LOL. It's like calling someone an intellectual who steals the final exam and spent the semester cheating off his classmates homework. It's insane.

Edit: On driver freedom. There has been ONE Race where BOT was ordered to yield to HAM and that was given back in Suzuka. MSC benefited from ALWAYS having his teammates yield to him. It became farcical to the point that it was purely embarrassing. BAR yielding to MSC in the final lap and final 2 turns of the race by practically parking the car on the track. The biggest joke in the history. Lastly, the second half of the season is the only time that Ferrari has allowed the facing...6 races. Once LEC establishes dominance they will revert back to their race fixing ways. Don't fool yourself. It's what they do.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.

Last edited by MKSixer; 10-31-2019 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
yco5722.50
      10-31-2019, 09:49 AM   #69
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddinTN View Post
It’s been done before...

https://youtu.be/ixfsyoGKlmE
Didn't the FIA put a limit on oil consumption for this reason. The intercooler complaint should be covered by this rule.

Having said that, it wouldn't be the first time in racings that a fluid reservoir has be increased through hiding or trickery.
Appreciate 2
chocstraw495.50
wdb4673.00
      10-31-2019, 01:41 PM   #70
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
I'm not certain what you're thinking of here but MSC was 3 years out of F1 at this point. 3 years. Think about that in F1. It's like half a century.

The facts are they developed a car that chewed up tires during that 3 years and that is what HAM walked into. Quick enough to get pole then went backwards. Until the end of the 2013 season when, suddenly, it began getting better.

And the fact is that Ross Brawn had just won a WDC in 2009. He was always the brains and leader of the team. The car developed by MSC and ROS was a mid-field queen with one win in 3 years. When HAM joined the team the car became a more stable platform and real development began.

And before anyone begins to talk about the technical prowess of ROS, remember: He couldn't make the car go fast until the technical team did a complete analysis of HAMs driving and delivered a dossier of more than 100 pages to teach him how to drive. ROS. The intellectual driver. LOL. It's like calling someone an intellectual who steals the final exam and spent the semester cheating off his classmates homework. It's insane.

Edit: On driver freedom. There has been ONE Race where BOT was ordered to yield to HAM and that was given back in Suzuka. MSC benefited from ALWAYS having his teammates yield to him. It became farcical to the point that it was purely embarrassing. BAR yielding to MSC in the final lap and final 2 turns of the race by practically parking the car on the track. The biggest joke in the history. Lastly, the second half of the season is the only time that Ferrari has allowed the facing...6 races. Once LEC establishes dominance they will revert back to their race fixing ways. Don't fool yourself. It's what they do.
comme ci comme ca. There are many ways that a race team PR will spin to make believe that everything is kosher with team orders. Also the cars power can still be increased and cut from the pits? Remember the 'codes' teams were sending to drivers..The one that stands out most in a 'wait for the other one game" for Bar and Sch was the US? one where Sch slowed for Bar to catch up to make a dead heat only for Bar to win by a whisker.Sch was seething as Bar pointed to himself quizzically.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2019, 04:00 PM   #71
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
I'm not certain what you're thinking of here but MSC was 3 years out of F1 at this point. 3 years. Think about that in F1. It's like half a century. [Etcetera]
I utterly agree that the arrival of HAM on the MB team put them on a new, higher level. Rosberg was puttering around with washed-up Schumi, happy to be best-of-the-rest. When HAM showed up suddenly Rosberg is a front runner. Did he pick up his game or did he learn a thing or two from a master? I feel very strongly that his sudden exit post WDC is evidence that he was driving well above his ability, happy to get his daddy monkey off his back and happy to get out of the car for good.

Ferrari seems to me to be a different animal right now. They're still finding their feet but I suspect that changes at the top of the company and team have brought the team into a new era in terms of driver preference. Leclerc has a once-in-a-generation opportunity IMO. He has the talent, he just needs a shrink to help him with the head stuff. Hard to tell a kid his age a thing like that.

Back on topic: with no grievances filed in Mexico, I have to assume that either the other engine folks picked up on the Ferrari trick, or else they all have what they want from this season and are focused on the next. Where the Ferrari trick will doubtless be deployed across the entire field.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
Steeler2422.00
      11-02-2019, 09:49 PM   #72
Blaze439
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E30 Track Car 335XI Daily

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...l-fia/4591689/

Suggesting they are storing unused fuel AFTER the fuel flow meter.. pretty trick if they are actually doing it.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
inTgr8r2421.50
      11-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #73
welinkei
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mecedes 209

The function of the intercooler is to cool the air compressed by the turbocharger / supercharger, reducing its temperature and thereby increasing the density of the air supplied to the engine. As the air is compressed by mycoles a turbocharger /supercharger it gets very hot. As its temperature climbs, its oxygen content (density) drops, so by cooling the air, an intercooler allows denser, more oxygen rich air to the engine, allowing more fuel to be burned, thus improving combustion and giving more power.

Last edited by welinkei; 11-04-2019 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 02:52 PM   #74
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by welinkei View Post
The function of the intercooler is to cool the air compressed by the turbocharger / supercharger, reducing its temperature and thereby increasing the density of the air supplied to the engine. As the air is compressed by a turbocharger /supercharger it gets very hot. As its temperature climbs, its oxygen content (density) drops, so by cooling the air, an intercooler allows denser, more oxygen rich air to the engine, allowing more fuel to be burned, thus improving combustion and giving more power.
Uh...Thanks for the info?
minn1913970.00
      11-06-2019, 05:08 AM   #75
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
From the race you were referring to lol..'much fresher tyres on Hams'. i.e.why he caught him with 20 to go. Do keep up.
Missed this one. He changed tires with 20 laps to go. He CAUGHT VER with 4 or 5 laps to go.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 08:31 AM   #76
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Exactly and my point was Ham had much fresher tyres at the end.
The data was incorrect on the lap count that HAM passed VER on.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #77
msk340i
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i M sport

Appreciate 2
M5Rick58897.50
      11-06-2019, 09:26 AM   #78
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Who would win a FF? well Binotto is a big fella
Positive . As for an Italian . Binotto is a giant

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58897.50
      11-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #79
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk340i View Post
I saw the article about the dicussion . There was something to talk about ...
MAX was/is actually right about the situation .

According Lewis and MAX the Ferrari Jet-Mode is unreal...And that was/is the whole situation .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58897.50
      11-06-2019, 09:40 AM   #80
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post

According Lewis and MAX the Ferrari Jet-Mode is unreal...And that was/is the whole situation .
I think we will never know 'exactly' what the so called 'jet-mode' is..Lewis called it that first? if my memory serves me well.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2019, 09:51 AM   #81
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I think we will never know 'exactly' what the so called 'jet-mode' is..Lewis called it that first? if my memory serves me well.
Positive my dear friend . It was Lewis first in his interview .
But actually the whole world saw the Ferrari warp speed ....

Appreciate 1
M5Rick58897.50
      11-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #82
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Positive my dear friend . It was Lewis first in his interview .
But actually the whole world saw the Ferrari warp speed ....
Of course my friend though I think it's a combination of more than one thing.
It'll be interesting to see if the 'afterburner' is present for the Brazilian GP
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #83
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Of course my friend though I think it's a combination of more than one thing.
It'll be interesting to see if the 'afterburner' is present for the Brazilian GP
Yeah .MAX has good memories at Interlagos 2016....In the rain !

Appreciate 1
M5Rick58897.50
      11-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #84
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah .MAX has good memories at Interlagos 2016....In the rain !

Interlagos,also known as Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace..the best bit for me was Max going past Nico Rosberg I would have liked to see NR's face at that moment before it started raining again and he had to come in for full wets.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #85
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Interlagos,also known as Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace..the best bit for me was Max going past Nico Rosberg I would have liked to see NR's face at that moment before it started raining again and he had to come in for full wets.
On the outside ! That moment in the rain was epic my friend ...I screamed his name loud in front of my screen . I mean *too* loud !
At that moment I thought ...This is my man !

Appreciate 1
M5Rick58897.50
      11-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #86
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
On the outside ! That moment in the rain was epic my friend ...I screamed his name loud in front of my screen . I mean *too* loud !
At that moment I thought ...This is my man !
Be careful,you don't want to crack the screen with the voice volume
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #87
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Be careful,you don't want to crack the screen with the voice volume
Actually home cinema . Would be expensive

Appreciate 1
M5Rick58897.50
      11-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #88
msk340i
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i M sport

Quote:

I don't think he's right though. I looked at the mini-sectors and the Ferraris are setting purple at almost every mini-sector out of a corner then every thing becomes slow. The higher drag from higher wong angles theory makes sense. The cars are fast out of a corner then air residence/drag slows them down.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58897.50