BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion iDrive 8 system demo sneak peak

10-26-2021, 06:35 AM   #45
darioenter
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d f10

Im confident that bmw sales numbers are going down in the next couple of years. Reasons:
1. For very large number of people Ix is just ugly car (not all can like it, but lets be honest, much less people consider g30 ugly then Ix, so it is clear it will affect the sales numbers

2. Big grills on new models, that looks like will continue to grow. Same as number1, not many people like these big grills. There must be a not small number of people who consider buying x7, but just could not live with big grill.

3. And now finaly this new iDrive. This is the first bmw that has no buttons. And also the mercedes has the S class without these buttons (for the first time). But years ago Audi made a8, and a6 without these buttons. And guess what, now audi is bringing back buttons on the new models (all etrons have fisical buttons). There must be reason for that
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 07:33 AM   #46
DG-X5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F95 X5MC

How do we still not have a customizable dash cluster in ID8? Seems like it would be rather straightforward to then give everyone their cup of tea via themes/skins - new futuristic look or traditional style gauges.

Even JLR has figured that out in a non-buggy manner at this point. Wow, BMW.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
soheil64.50
      10-26-2021, 07:57 AM   #47
reward72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240xi

Some will say it is resistance to change, but change is not always good. Gimme a fully autonomous comfy EV car that will chauffeur me around town or give me a thrilling analog car with a manual transmission that runs on dino juice. That new generation of "in between" cars will age terribly and depreciate faster than anything before.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 01:38 PM   #48
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG-X5 View Post
How do we still not have a customizable dash cluster in ID8? Seems like it would be rather straightforward to then give everyone their cup of tea via themes/skins - new futuristic look or traditional style gauges.

Well…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 02:44 PM   #49
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:

Well…
The problem is more so the ugly speedo and tach rather than the center content. Adding actual legible circular style gauges would pretty much solve everything.
      10-26-2021, 03:22 PM   #50
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
The problem is more so the ugly speedo and tach rather than the center content. Adding actual legible circular style gauges would pretty much solve everything.
Our just keep the multi screen approach like Audi, Jag, Porsche (Even current G series BMW’s - Idrive 7)and others and leave the stretched video game screens for the pure EV’s.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2021, 03:47 PM   #51
Badger
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 520d, 530i

Quote:
Well, let's make it even more interesting: if there is nothing but the big screen, only imagination is the limit. Why then not to offer look of some old/previous/classic generations' gauges to choose from? I don't think it would be a problem for BMW to develop such a feature.
Then even iD8 in 3er may be tolerable, with the E30 appearance...
Appreciate 1
DG-X5166.50
      10-26-2021, 04:40 PM   #52
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:

Well…
To the right of that?

Never know what will appear on the ICE and M variants…
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 12:30 AM   #53
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

I wasn't considering buying out my g20 lease since buying out a lease is usually not the smartest idea, but seeing this iDrive makes me reconsider that just to avoid getting this bullshit. Seriously BMW, what the fuck are you thinking? Boggles my mind what kind of morons you have making these decisions. So frustrating…
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 02:09 AM   #54
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Please excuse my profanity, but what the blimey fck is this?
They did not even try to wrap leather around the tablet.
      10-27-2021, 06:26 AM   #55
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuato2084 View Post
Personally having buttons is an absolute must. I love having HUD on/off programmed to button 1, iDrive on/off programmed to button 2, and Sport Displays programmed to button 3, with music, stereo EQ, map, psi levels, and other drive settings programmed to the remaining buttons. Getting what you need with ONE PUSH of a button is imperative for me when operating a vehicle. Also, having to keep the screen on just to manage the air isn't ideal since I usually drive with the screen off, but at least "Climate Menu" is always available at the bottom portion of the screen. And thankfully the E brake is button accessible. No buttons or dial for headlights/taillights isn't that big of a deal since it's usually a one-time thing depending on time of day. Overall this doesn't feel like an upgrade at all, rather a downgrade and a hindrance to driving safely. Why can't BMW do this new setup with programmable buttons? Why remove instant accessibility?
I don't understand why BMW (seemingly) didn't reinvent the 1-8 presets in the electronic interface. Then again- I haven't used iDrive 8. Perhaps iD8 has an equivalent? Maybe the 'tiles' that seem to make up the 'home screen' essentially become the 1-8 presets? 🤷🏻*♂️
Page 56 of the i4 Owners Handbook details iD8's virtual alternative to the physical 1-8 Shortcut preset keys. Apparently an upward swipe up from the bottom of the control display (or upward tilt of controller) will reveal a Quick Access menu of virtual Shortcuts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-27-2021, 06:49 AM   #56
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

I am fine having these on electric vehicle range but hate when BMW is forcing this onto their mainstream ICE and M vehicles.

Unlike controversial exterior looks, one has to live with this interior on a day to day basis. This screen and interface will definitely be a deal breaker in my future decisions.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 08:22 AM   #57
BobBMWX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 22

I resisted buying the X3 due to the mini-tablet stuck on the dashboard. This has been a trend in the many brands. I am not a huge fan. Just did not look well integrated to me. The look grew on me enough to go along the rest of the package.

I dislike this look even more. While it adds a lot of technology, it does not flow with the interior at all. At least it is rounded and driver focused.

I would not mind the loss of physical buttons that much, if the alternatives worked better. Voice is still just as useless as usual. Lucky if "My BMW" is recognized. The Motion control is too limited to control enough. The few gestures that are there actually work well. On the current model, there are even touch functions that I use over the physical...like the Home button.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 09:09 AM   #58
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

In my mind, the tablet / touchscreen move has been a disaster... a lot of gloss for little practicality.

Why in the world would you ever get rid of the buttons that are constantly used and have a strong tactile feel?

You always need Volume / Mute, Fan speed and Temperature as a physical button... Anything else creates distractions and increases the chance of an accident... this is a bizarre world we are moving towards.
      10-28-2021, 01:07 AM   #59
bpu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Agree with most comments here. That climate menu is just about the worse UX I've ever seen. Why remove the easy to use one-touch buttons for all of those functions? Why remove the small temperature LCD between the vents in favor of a huge black bar that takes up the entire bottom of a big widescreen? Why is the screen so huge and yet it still doesn't fit all the functions and you have to scroll to see it all? Why are there distracting blue lines in the background? Why should it be necessary for the driver to lose access to the nav map or music just because the passenger wants to turn on seat heat?

And no, voice control is not a solution to any of this. Buttons were and we already had them.

Also agree the screen looks out of place and harsh. The current cockpits with the recessed instrument screen and the center screen that "sprouts" from it looks great and elegant.

It's like BMW totally lost the sensible design and ergonomic leadership that they've had for 30 or 40 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 03:05 PM   #60
Lighting.Grey
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M // E53 X5 4.8is

Garage List
2016 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5  [0.00]
Oh hell no.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 05:01 PM   #61
Bmwrepairs
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
I wasn't considering buying out my g20 lease since buying out a lease is usually not the smartest idea, but seeing this iDrive makes me reconsider that just to avoid getting this bullshit. Seriously BMW, what the fuck are you thinking? Boggles my mind what kind of morons you have making these decisions. So frustrating…
Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 06:45 AM   #62
adilsk
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i F30

Looks bog standard now. BMW always had such a nice niche to their UI, not sure who they hired for this design
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 09:24 AM   #63
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

BMW might get away with putting this screen in any BMW with a 1,2,3 or 4 in the name, hell it started in the i4, but surely BMW cannot get away with putting this tonka toy plastic screen strip abomination in anything with a number 5 or higher??!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 10:58 PM   #64
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoIam View Post
BMW might get away with putting this screen in any BMW with a 1,2,3 or 4 in the name, hell it started in the i4, but surely BMW cannot get away with putting this tonka toy plastic screen strip abomination in anything with a number 5 or higher??!!
Uh… what makes you think they can't?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 08:41 AM   #65
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoIam View Post
Uh… what makes you think they can't?
It is downmarket excrement. They are downgrading their lower end models with this. Hopefully they don't do this with the higher end models. They may but that'd make older cars more attractive and valuable.

Hope this goes the way of the Touch Bar on MacBook Pro. Relegated to the dust bin of bad ideas that should have never come to life.
      11-13-2021, 06:17 PM   #66
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
I am fine having these on electric vehicle range but hate when BMW is forcing this onto their mainstream ICE and M vehicles.

Unlike controversial exterior looks, one has to live with this interior on a day to day basis. This screen and interface will definitely be a deal breaker in my future decisions.
Agreed with this. I will think long and hard before purchasing a iDrive 8 car.

Last edited by RPM33; 11-13-2021 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0