BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Firearms

03-14-2017, 08:03 PM   #1563
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Thats the thing about drawing your pistol. When you do that, you force the criminal to make a decision to submit, fight or flight. If they choose to submit, you could still be charged and prosecuted. If they run, you didn't accomplish your goal and could still be charged and prosecuted. If they fight, now your saddled with the decision to kill someone or possibly be killed by them.

For a 15 second fist fight, you'll have a hard time justifying the use of deadly force to a jury. And once you draw, you're in effect saying you've escalated your response to a small threat to deadly force. Should be a slam dunk for any aspiring DA. You may get a little leeway for being female, but that only goes for when you're threatened, not a male friend.

The list of places you can is growing.

The sad thing is that if you've ever had a 'decent' amount of hand-hand combat training (e.g. martial arts), even unarmed self-defense can be spun as 'excessive' simply because of past training. It's like the deck is stacked.
      03-15-2017, 03:43 AM   #1564
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

One of the major problems of today is, if you are a cop and got only beaten up by other ppl during holding up the laws...that you'll anytime maybe loose your contenance and beat back the same way. After that no one asks you about the reasons, you're out.
As a private person who knows how to defend with or w/o weapons it depends on the situation how harmful my first attack would be.
Hence into Germany its prohibited for private persons to carry guns outside of firing ranges or their private property we have to deal more and more with knifes, beat rings, telescop sticks and so on.
Whats definitely is a sad truth: The felt rate of personal brutality is jumping upwards extemely into the last 5 years. If you meet the wrong person by hitting 'em inadvertently by a walk, the risk of instant beating is enormous.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #1565
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

I need this here for real...

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #1566
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
One of the major problems of today is, if you are a cop and got only beaten up by other ppl during holding up the laws...that you'll anytime maybe loose your contenance and beat back the same way. After that no one asks you about the reasons, you're out.
As a private person who knows how to defend with or w/o weapons it depends on the situation how harmful my first attack would be.
Hence into Germany its prohibited for private persons to carry guns outside of firing ranges or their private property we have to deal more and more with knifes, beat rings, telescop sticks and so on.
Whats definitely is a sad truth: The felt rate of personal brutality is jumping upwards extemely into the last 5 years. If you meet the wrong person by hitting 'em inadvertently by a walk, the risk of instant beating is enormous.
Perfect illustration of how being abe to carry a firearm is like nuclear weapons peace through strength. The threat that your intended victum may be armed deters many violent acts. Beatings, roberies, burglaries, rapes, etc. In states where you can't carry, the only one carrying is the criminal. They know that and are more brazen and crime is higher tyically. Gun laws on legal non felon ownership work to increase crime abd violence. Gun laws that prosecute illegal activity or ownership work to lower it. So yes, I'm for strong gun laws. Just the right ones.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 01:44 PM   #1567
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

I second that.
But on the other hand the dangerous guys are not the ones who followed the law but the criminals who are carry weapons as a daily habit.
Talking about civil courage. How many cases are filed, where a keen citizen has tried to safe a victims health by standing against a hord of 2 or more violent ready a$$holes and gets beaten the shit outta him, almost follows with danger injouries or death.
Isnt it any wonder that few people fed up with that unequal weight to the dark side and start arming to be ready for this?
Correct, self justice isnt the right thing and self defence with guns neither.
Something should happen into the future, at yours in the US and here into Germany.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #1568
mightyaa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

My favorite plinking gun isn't even a technical firearm...
AirForce SS pellet rifle. This isn't your old Red Rider. In case you didn't know, modern pellet guns can be multiple caliper. Also, you can swap barrels easily enough to a larger or smaller. There are also ammo types and different weights. I just have the 0.188 cal standard pellet. Seriously.. don't laugh or write it off. At 100 yards it is accurate.. and it doesn't take long before we're just passing it around plinking away. A tin of pellets is like $10, air is free. And my little pellet gun will blow holes through the target plywood backer too.

There are plenty of videos out there... people can take down deer or pigs easy enough.

Here's my son plinking with it..
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      03-16-2017, 06:37 AM   #1569
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

My plinker is a Marlin Papoose takedown .22LR. Barrel threads on and off the receiver, pretty neat.

Only thing is it's still brand new never shot. Plinking with a 3006 is more fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #1570
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I second that.
But on the other hand the dangerous guys are not the ones who followed the law but the criminals who are carry weapons as a daily habit.
Talking about civil courage. How many cases are filed, where a keen citizen has tried to safe a victims health by standing against a hord of 2 or more violent ready a$$holes and gets beaten the shit outta him, almost follows with danger injouries or death.
Isnt it any wonder that few people fed up with that unequal weight to the dark side and start arming to be ready for this?
Correct, self justice isnt the right thing and self defence with guns neither.
Something should happen into the future, at yours in the US and here into Germany.
Self defense here is the right thing. If a guy gets in a fist fight, then no gun. But if a guy gets attacked by someone with a weapon, knife, club, etc or a gang of people, a gun is acceptable and legal to pull out to stop the altercation and use if it isn't stopped. That situation has at that point escalated to life threatening. The threshold for taking out a gun is to prevent loss of life or rape, not a broken nose. Attacked by a group or person with a weapon qualifies.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #1571
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
My plinker is a Marlin Papoose takedown .22LR. Barrel threads on and off the receiver, pretty neat.

Only thing is it's still brand new never shot. Plinking with a 3006 is more fun.
So true, I get board pretty quickly punching paper with a .22LR, out side with reactive targets (cans, spinners, etc) the .22 is fun for a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #1572
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
So true, I get board pretty quickly punching paper with a .22LR, out side with reactive targets (cans, spinners, etc) the .22 is fun for a while.
There's something about the kick of a larger caliber that's just much more pleasing. Sucks that the ammunition is more expensive, but it got to a point where I started shooting squirrels with the 30-06 just because I enjoy shooting it so much.

Also, the hillbilly at worked enjoyed squirrel meat so it worked out when the little guys were still in tact.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #1573
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Also, the hillbilly at worked enjoyed squirrel meat so it worked out when the little guys were still in tact.
Reminds me of a story my dad tells - he was out rabbit hunting using a shotgun, while walking he looked down and saw one just chilling a couple feet from him. Thought "What the hell" and blasted it...

...they found the ears.
      03-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #1574
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Reminds me of a story my dad tells - he was out rabbit hunting using a shotgun, while walking he looked down and saw one just chilling a couple feet from him. Thought "What the hell" and blasted it...

...they found the ears.
It kind of catches you off guard when you know you shot it, and all you find is a giant fluff of fur and nothing else.
Appreciate 1
fravel1644.50
      03-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #1575
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

I'm calling PETA
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #1576
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
I'm calling PETA
Perpetually Evasive Tormenting Assholes?

I've heard of them before.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #1577
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Self defense here is the right thing. If a guy gets in a fist fight, then no gun. But if a guy gets attacked by someone with a weapon, knife, club, etc or a gang of people, a gun is acceptable and legal to pull out to stop the altercation and use if it isn't stopped. That situation has at that point escalated to life threatening. The threshold for taking out a gun is to prevent loss of life or rape, not a broken nose. Attacked by a group or person with a weapon qualifies.
Problem here is, since we got lots of new immigrants with very low violence threshold, its no longer the question, if I react with the fist, knife or gun.
Lots of those ppl just pulling a knife out and try to stab you instantly after a lousy punch or inadvertent touch into the crowd.
One of the major lessons from my self defense training was a set from my instructor: Even if you have also a knife to fight, the stronger weapon wins and if you are not 100% sure to defeat your enemy, kill him before hes killing you.
In most cases the raising of the jacket and the clear look onto the holstered gun is enough...until yet.

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #1578
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Problem here is, since we got lots of new immigrants with very low violence threshold, its no longer the question, if I react with the fist, knife or gun.
Lots of those ppl just pulling a knife out and try to stab you instantly after a lousy punch or inadvertent touch into the crowd.
One of the major lessons from my self defense training was a set from my instructor: Even if you have also a knife to fight, the stronger weapon wins and if you are not 100% sure to defeat your enemy, kill him before hes killing you.
In most cases the raising of the jacket and the clear look onto the holstered gun is enough...until yet.
Talk to Ms. Merkel about that. I know they brought in a bunch because the german population was declining. The problem with muslim immigrants compared to other immigrant populations in general is the refusal to assimilate. Been a problem here too. Good luck. I don't envy you.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 02:24 PM   #1579
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
but it got to a point where I started shooting squirrels with the 30-06 just because I enjoy shooting it so much.

If only we could get away with that over here.

You can just about justify to the Police a 5.56/.223 for vermin control if you live in the countryside.

One of my mates has a wartime P17, and the 30-06 does have a distinctive sound on the range compared to the more common 7.62's and .303's that the rest of us have.
      03-17-2017, 06:53 AM   #1580
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post

If only we could get away with that over here.

You can just about justify to the Police a 5.56/.223 for vermin control if you live in the countryside.

One of my mates has a wartime P17, and the 30-06 does have a distinctive sound on the range compared to the more common 7.62's and .303's that the rest of us have.
You can hunt with 556 (in NC not sure about OH), so I would walk around with the AR15 on my back and 3006 in hand. Fun times.

Except one time, was sitting up in the tree and hadn't seen a single deer for like 3 days, got irritated as the sun was starting to set, blasted a squirrel, felt great. Well my buddy was about 200 yards away and there were two deer walking towards his stand that got spooked and ran off.

Needless to say he was pissed and I felt like an ass.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #1581
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Does the permit wait times vary from state to state or is it a 6-8 month wait for approval or denial for everyone? It seems like that's a ridiculous wait time that Louisiana has. The OMV moves faster.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 08:11 AM   #1582
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Mine took a month i think
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 08:14 AM   #1583
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Does the permit wait times vary from state to state or is it a 6-8 month wait for approval or denial for everyone? It seems like that's a ridiculous wait time that Louisiana has. The OMV moves faster.
Varies. In FL it can take 3-4 months to get an appointment. But only 2-3 weeks to receive permit after that.
      03-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #1584
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Mine took about 2 months in NC after doing paperwork at the courthouse.
Appreciate 0