BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum I'm sorry but if you prefer manual over a fast auto (DC is better) than you are slow

04-23-2021, 10:58 PM   #1
Daveslaine3827
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

I'm sorry but if you prefer manual over a fast auto (DC is better) than you are slow

Look don't get me wrong many drivers started with manuals and we're gods on the track and switched to paddles, hated it at first, until they realized that it's far better for focusing just on driving as amazing as possible and no longer worrying about manually shifting while trying to take the corner as fast as possible.

It seems that I notice Germany/Italy make mostly paddles now and American sport cars still push out manuals with zero worries of them not selling, is because they know the American market, and Germany/Italy does not care or assumes Americans will one day understand why they stick to dual clutch or fast autos. In Europe, formula 1 is what they admire and look up to, as well as the type of cars, transmissions, aerodynamics, and the purpose of the cars racing in formula 1. This means they are not about drifting, shifting on your own, but rather, if you want to truly be fast, you want to focus on the track completely and have fast shifts, you don't want to (no matter how fast you can manually shift) also focus on the next shift or downshift knowing that as fast as you do it with no loss of focus, you will be slower than the dual clutch ahead of you and never set a faster lap time.

Europeans are mostly about always being the fastest ever to set records on the track and they are about accelerate as soon as possible out of a corner at the limit of the cars ability to stay on the racing line, hit the highest speed you can as fast as possible and brake as late as possible and as hard as possible and then quickly take the turn while tapping the accelerator and take the turn at the max possible speed your car allows.

Americans grew up in a culture of lots of horsepower (at the crank not the wheel) and just go in a straight line and manuals are manly. Fast and furious also didn't help because it's all about drag racing and drifting. Americans believe cars are cool and to show your a good driver you need to drift, use manual tranny, and drag race. The American culture has almost never been about pure focused driving on the track and setting lap times. This is why I always notice and took 2 people to a track and we switched cars mine has paddles his a manual. He set HORRIBLE TIMES IN BOTH HIS MANUAL AND MY PADDLES yet I still managed to do better in his manual even though I was rusty with manuals. Why? Well because I care more about focusing on the track and going at the limit because to me that's what it's all about even though I have a rwd z4 m40i and wish it had AWD whereas everyone else says rwd please because drifting and manuals is what they understand if on a track they can't comprehend hitting record times anyway. In a paddle shift car on a track they become agitated and no longer see the point and hate cars suddenly simply because they realize they are NOT good at a highly focused driving which is about setting record times.

This is why I truly have realized why mostly Americans and Europeans who are old and we're racing in the manual days want manuals. Old Europeans want manuals because they think paddles take less skill and Americans because they feel like they are through placebo somehow much faster when shifting on their own and driving a rwd and doing drifts. Most Americans when asked will believe and answer that drifting around a track is faster than taking the racing lines. This is the kind of ignorance America has for how Europe sees cars that after decades no American has ever been in an f1 car putting down any good times.

You just have to look at 60s through cars today in Europe vs America. Mustang vs a Ferrari or Lamborghini or Porsche. Europe always reduced weight by having smaller engines with huge power and better handling and Americans put big engines to satisfy the average American into thinking (more hp even though whp is far lower and fast in a straight line is cool).

If anyone here truly is not as I said they are and prefers manuals please tell me more.
Appreciate 1
Mixitt372.00
      04-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #2
Pinzs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Civic SI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveslaine3827 View Post
Look don't get me wrong many drivers started with manuals and we're gods on the track and switched to paddles, hated it at first, until they realized that it's far better for focusing just on driving as amazing as possible and no longer worrying about manually shifting while trying to take the corner as fast as possible.

It seems that I notice Germany/Italy make mostly paddles now and American sport cars still push out manuals with zero worries of them not selling, is because they know the American market, and Germany/Italy does not care or assumes Americans will one day understand why they stick to dual clutch or fast autos. In Europe, formula 1 is what they admire and look up to, as well as the type of cars, transmissions, aerodynamics, and the purpose of the cars racing in formula 1. This means they are not about drifting, shifting on your own, but rather, if you want to truly be fast, you want to focus on the track completely and have fast shifts, you don't want to (no matter how fast you can manually shift) also focus on the next shift or downshift knowing that as fast as you do it with no loss of focus, you will be slower than the dual clutch ahead of you and never set a faster lap time.

Europeans are mostly about always being the fastest ever to set records on the track and they are about accelerate as soon as possible out of a corner at the limit of the cars ability to stay on the racing line, hit the highest speed you can as fast as possible and brake as late as possible and as hard as possible and then quickly take the turn while tapping the accelerator and take the turn at the max possible speed your car allows.

Americans grew up in a culture of lots of horsepower (at the crank not the wheel) and just go in a straight line and manuals are manly. Fast and furious also didn't help because it's all about drag racing and drifting. Americans believe cars are cool and to show your a good driver you need to drift, use manual tranny, and drag race. The American culture has almost never been about pure focused driving on the track and setting lap times. This is why I always notice and took 2 people to a track and we switched cars mine has paddles his a manual. He set HORRIBLE TIMES IN BOTH HIS MANUAL AND MY PADDLES yet I still managed to do better in his manual even though I was rusty with manuals. Why? Well because I care more about focusing on the track and going at the limit because to me that's what it's all about even though I have a rwd z4 m40i and wish it had AWD whereas everyone else says rwd please because drifting and manuals is what they understand if on a track they can't comprehend hitting record times anyway. In a paddle shift car on a track they become agitated and no longer see the point and hate cars suddenly simply because they realize they are NOT good at a highly focused driving which is about setting record times.

This is why I truly have realized why mostly Americans and Europeans who are old and we're racing in the manual days want manuals. Old Europeans want manuals because they think paddles take less skill and Americans because they feel like they are through placebo somehow much faster when shifting on their own and driving a rwd and doing drifts. Most Americans when asked will believe and answer that drifting around a track is faster than taking the racing lines. This is the kind of ignorance America has for how Europe sees cars that after decades no American has ever been in an f1 car putting down any good times.

You just have to look at 60s through cars today in Europe vs America. Mustang vs a Ferrari or Lamborghini or Porsche. Europe always reduced weight by having smaller engines with huge power and better handling and Americans put big engines to satisfy the average American into thinking (more hp even though whp is far lower and fast in a straight line is cool).

If anyone here truly is not as I said they are and prefers manuals please tell me more.
I want a manual because it's fun, engaging, gives the car some characteristic.

Another note: does anyone else feel like
our paddles are made from the cheapest plastic?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 02:57 PM   #3
morgan302
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 2015

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinzs View Post

This is my first auto in my 60 years of driving. I know the auto is faster but for fun I can not beat the fun of a standard. I can understand those that may have not had great shifting standard trans might no be a fan. Love my Z4 it is great fun but it is missing something for me to make it my perfect ride. Not selling but profection is just missing but it is still a rush.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2021, 08:14 AM   #4
Daveslaine3827
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan302 View Post
This is my first auto in my 60 years of driving. I know the auto is faster but for fun I can not beat the fun of a standard. I can understand those that may have not had great shifting standard trans might no be a fan. Love my Z4 it is great fun but it is missing something for me to make it my perfect ride. Not selling but profection is just missing but it is still a rush.
Well it depends on how you want to enjoy it. If you don't enjoy a twisty road or a track with lots of hard braking and taking turns at the limit and getting to top speed as fast as possible than its most likely because it's too dangerous or scary for you so you prefer powersliding and since you're not in a rush to be the fastest shifting slightly slower is more fun and better than shifting fast when you're not even a fast driver naturally.

I think German companies are influenced to make fast auto transmissions because of formula 1 and assume most of the world wants formula 1 like experience and then there are the more "off road, rally, slower car, manual" kinds of drivers. Both are fun but I'd pick formula 1 style if I had to do it daily
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 05:11 PM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinzs View Post

I think you are over simplifying the issues. Many Europeans prefer manuals:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/bri...vantage-manual

And 75% of Audi UK sales are manuals:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...rboxes-way-out
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 01:52 AM   #6
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Germany/Italy does not care or assumes Americans will one day understand why they stick to dual clutch or fast autos. you will be slower than the dual clutch ahead of you and never set a faster lap time.
As for Germany BMW only makes 3 car lines with 6MT M2,3,4. BMW does not make any cars with DCT. Audi is also reducing them. The 8ZF is a better around transmission than the DCT.

One nice feature is the Torque Converter can be replaced with an electric motor to eliminate turbo lag. It also does not have a meaningful shift speed disadvantage against the DCT.

People buy what they like. Many people enjoy driving an MT & are aware its not the fastest way around the track. If it gives them pleasure who cares.

This statement relegates you to the outlook of a 15 year old

Quote:
If you don't enjoy a twisty road or a track with lots of hard braking and taking turns at the limit and getting to top speed as fast as possible than its most likely because it's too dangerous or scary for you
Do you think you are some kind of a super driver because you drive or at least claim to drive stupid fast on public roads?

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-01-2021 at 02:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 11:19 AM   #7
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:

Can I get a TL;DR summary here?

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 1