BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Squeaks!

04-13-2022, 10:11 AM   #1
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Squeaks!

My 2012 Mercedes Benz GLK 350 has developed several annoying squeaks in the dashboard and door panels. I've done some research and learned that most of all modern cars plastic parts are simply pushed into place, retained only by clips, pegs, slots, etc. Not many screws.

One suggestion I found online is to simply apply pressure to each panel to shove it back in place. So far, I found this to work on some of the squeaks.

Another technique (that I haven't had the nerve to try yet) is to spray silicone into the cracks. Reports indicate this works for about 6 months, then repeat. Also, big cleanup mess.

Short of buying a new car, any suggestions for an alternate fix much appreciated.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 10:22 AM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Might sound odd but I but a small amount of Butyl Seal Tape on the back of clips and even at contact points where screws are used to prevent movement and vibrating loose.
Don't need much, you don't want the panels, trim pieces to protrude any more than intended.

It has worked for me on many occasions.
Tape is available in black as well and available at any HVAC supply store.
Attached Images

W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 12:06 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

If I recall correctly for my time belonging to Mercedes Benz Club and the tech sections.
Squeaks were a not uncommon complaint. and dealers used little felt tabs at friction points.
Appreciate 0