BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Manual trans special order?

04-17-2022, 10:14 AM   #1
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Manual trans special order?

Is it possible and legal to order a car from the dealership with a manual trans if it’s available outside the states (Japan/Europe)? Or bringing a used one here without it being 25 years old? Anyone have any experience?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 12:21 PM   #2
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

i dont think you can do either of those options. you could do a swap though.

for instance you can buy an alfa quad here (only available in auto in the US, but europe got manual). You could order all the manual parts and trim pieces though and have a place swap it over and do the software.

you may be able to bring a car here and drive it under that 'show and display' law though. i dont know the details of that but i think some guys with skylines can legally drive non-Motorex cars with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 02:27 PM   #3
UPSROD
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Supposedly only in M2's for 2023.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 06:49 PM   #4
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

No, the variations sold here have been approved by the various regulatory agencies, basically the MFR proposes what models they'd like to sell, they are inspected and found to be compliant with the applicable regs, and sold. If the MFR has no plans to sell a variation in the US, they won't go through the trouble of submitting it and getting it approved, even if it would pass all the applicable regs.

There are some ways to import stuff outside of this, but they tend to be very limiting.
      04-17-2022, 07:14 PM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

By and large, we're becoming the hold outs for manuals. The GT3 came back with manuals primarily because of North American demand. The Mk8 Golf R is only available with a manual in North America (if yours doesn't immolate and sink coming over) and we tend to have the highest take rate for manuals GTIs, Miatas and others.

The only real exception are total shitboxes that we don't get in any form. But the Euros all think they're F1 drivers and dig their flappy paddles. Suckers.
Appreciate 2
JustinHEMI7445.00
nicholasn261.00
      04-17-2022, 08:51 PM   #6
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Disappointing but unsurprising. It sucks all the manual cars now are either econoboxes or coupes/2 seaters.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 09:00 PM   #7
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inPHX View Post
Disappointing but unsurprising. It sucks all the manual cars now are either econoboxes or coupes/2 seaters.
theres still the CT4 and CT5 BW. The 5 has absurd markup right now though. The 4 looks awkward at some angles imo. But both are supposedly much better drives than the G80.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 10:51 AM   #8
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inPHX View Post
People want to play with their phones while driving. They don't want to vote for politicians that would restrict/regulate cell phone technology for driving. Autos are what everyone is asking for.
      04-18-2022, 11:32 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
People want to play with their phones while driving. They don't want to vote for politicians that would restrict/regulate cell phone technology for driving. Autos are what everyone is asking for.
I can text and drive with a manual just fine, thank you. Just takes experience
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 11:35 AM   #10
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Yep. Nearly was in a head-on collision in my neighborhood over the weekend from someone looking at their phone. I slammed on the brakes and pulled partly in to someone's driveway to avoid being hit.

But how do you police it?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 12:13 PM   #11
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Yep. Nearly was in a head-on collision in my neighborhood over the weekend from someone looking at their phone. I slammed on the brakes and pulled partly in to someone's driveway to avoid being hit.

But how do you police it?
You can't with "police", at least IMO there's no effective way to do this. Even if the consequences were huge, there is no way to catch the majority of people doing it, so if there's a good chance you can get away with it, people will continue doing it, severe consequences make no difference when there's literally no chance you'll get caught. Penalties for this are generally "after-accident punishment" which is to say, after something bad has already happened. This is kind of unfortunate because the person that did it is really not the most guilty one for this act, they are just the one left holding the bag at the end of the day and they did screw up, but they were led down that path by everything that encouraged and enabled it. The best way to mitigate a hazard of course is to design it out of the system. This would be like disabling phones while diving, but that brings up a myriad of issues, like what about using a phone in other moving situations, or what if there's an emergency and you need to use it while moving, and so on. They are "designing the hazard out of the system" by moving towards automated cars...automatic transmissions are a step in that, but it's not the solution that enthusiasts would like to see. Problem is, again, by the vast majority, people are asking to be able to play with phones while driving and those people really drive what happens here. It's not an age thing, I see people of all ages doing it, from old to young, single to family, etc. It's everyone.