BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos BMW designs an airplane!!

03-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

BMW designs an airplane!!

sorta
http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/..._interiors.php
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Well, they DID start off with airplane engines.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

BMWs design studio does industrial designs for many other industries, so why not airplanes.

And yes, it would be a coming home of sorts, as BMW was originally an aircraft engine manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
SiR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 525i, E92 335i

I hope BMW never does anything like what was posted, looks bad and uncomfortable.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 12:42 AM   #5
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
AP Press release on BMW aircraft design

MANY DISPLEASED WITH BMW AIRBUS DESIGNS

AP, Paris 3/18/06 - Passengers in the new Airbus complained that their cupholders were too small. They couldn't fit their skymall catalogues in the pocket in the seat in front of them. iPod accessory plugs were available, but the channels were not visible, and MP3 CD player compatability will not be available until the next software upgrade.

Pilots complained that the airspeed indicator was optomistic, and that the automatic dimmer made commercial jets indistinguishable from fighter aircraft. Additionally, older pilots preferred the multiple toggle switches to the irritating iFly interface. Copilots did not like the uniform orange glow of the instrument panel, and felt that the mpg meter was unnecessary. Diminuative flight attendants would also trigger the "Airbag OFF" indicator whenever sitting in the jump seat.

Ground crews in LAX were repeatedly having to apply Zaino because of swirls left from wing washings in Newark. Airline personnel vowed to never go with Sparkling Graphite again. An inordinate amount of brake dust seems to collect on the wheels as well.

Finally, air personnel have begun to circulate a petition for BMW to dismiss designer Chris Bangle, claiming that the new tail design makes the whole plane look like a Boeing. "What is this, JAL?" ranted one petitioner.

All kidding aside, if I were to get BMW to do anything for a plane, it would be to make an engine, not design the interior!

And yes, the 1700 hp 801 engine for the Focke Wolf FW 190A was a BMW product, and one of the finest in the skies over Europe. They probably would have done better against the P-51 mustangs if they hadn't lost so many good pilots by then. They did develop a jet engine, but Junkers beat em to it as far as production, for use in the ME 262. The BMW engine was later used to power a MiG-9 prototype in Russia.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 12:59 AM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

damn that looks hella nice. I would love to take a trip in that.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
BMW0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Serentiy Now!

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 07:40 PM   #8
Imperial
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90rocks
MANY DISPLEASED WITH BMW AIRBUS DESIGNS

AP, Paris 3/18/06 - Passengers in the new Airbus complained that their cupholders were too small. They couldn't fit their skymall catalogues in the pocket in the seat in front of them. iPod accessory plugs were available, but the channels were not visible, and MP3 CD player compatability will not be available until the next software upgrade.

Pilots complained that the airspeed indicator was optomistic, and that the automatic dimmer made commercial jets indistinguishable from fighter aircraft. Additionally, older pilots preferred the multiple toggle switches to the irritating iFly interface. Copilots did not like the uniform orange glow of the instrument panel, and felt that the mpg meter was unnecessary. Diminuative flight attendants would also trigger the "Airbag OFF" indicator whenever sitting in the jump seat.

Ground crews in LAX were repeatedly having to apply Zaino because of swirls left from wing washings in Newark. Airline personnel vowed to never go with Sparkling Graphite again. An inordinate amount of brake dust seems to collect on the wheels as well.

Finally, air personnel have begun to circulate a petition for BMW to dismiss designer Chris Bangle, claiming that the new tail design makes the whole plane look like a Boeing. "What is this, JAL?" ranted one petitioner.

All kidding aside, if I were to get BMW to do anything for a plane, it would be to make an engine, not design the interior!

And yes, the 1700 hp 801 engine for the Focke Wolf FW 190A was a BMW product, and one of the finest in the skies over Europe. They probably would have done better against the P-51 mustangs if they hadn't lost so many good pilots by then. They did develop a jet engine, but Junkers beat em to it as far as production, for use in the ME 262. The BMW engine was later used to power a MiG-9 prototype in Russia.

This could be one of the best posts EVER. Seriously. I do agree, too, that if BMW were to do anythign for a jet, it should be the engine, not the interior. If anyone, I'd like to see Audi do interior treatments for jets as I do believe they do astounding interiors. Kudos also on the BMW airplane engine knowledge
      03-19-2006, 02:07 AM   #9
SiR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Since we are talking about other carmakers, Porsche assisted in the organiztion of the Airbus A300-600 cockpit.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 02:34 AM   #10
supernova
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe Black Metallic

fuck. and yet they say the iDrive is complicated!!!
LOOK AT ALL THOSE BUTTONS.

i really wonder if pilots know WHAT EVERY BUTTON in there does.
they probably do... but still.

click it for myspace
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 02:38 AM   #11
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Holy shit!!! HOW THE FUCK DO YOU MEMORIZE what all those buttons do??
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 07:44 AM   #12
JackMac
Recovering BMW Addict
Scotland
Rep
Drives: <OO (|||)(|||) OO>

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdheaven
BMW designs an airplane!!
Do you think it has a Bangle butt?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 11:17 AM   #13
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

i thought everyone knew, half the buttons are fake, they are just to make the whole "flying" thing look more complicated
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2006, 08:40 AM   #14
SiR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

its not too bad, you just have to study them good and you will memorize their locations, fucntions, and limitations of them.
In other words, its fun as hell!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2006, 02:05 PM   #15
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
nahh! those gauges and buttons are nothing, dont let it intimated you.
If al-queda can fly them so can anyone, just go to Flight Safety training, and you'd get the basic down path.

But for flight basic 101.

the center column of gauges are for your no.1 and 2 engine's EPR (engine pressure ratio), TGT (temp gauge) Oil Pressure etc etc.

Between the pilot and co-pilots seats before your engine gauges are your engine throttles, the more rear advance you pull them the more power and thrust you provide to the engines, and lift/takeoff (make sure your flight control are set down though)

at the eye-brow panel you will see the T-handles, if you see it flashing that means your engine is overheat or stead red means you have a fire on the engine. you pulled the T-handle to release the fire-extinguisher agents, once release you have to replace the entire engine

Infront of the Yoke/Stick is your global positioning indicator, tell you how you are flying in relation to the earth's horizons. You need to see and center it to the horizon to fly level and more lift you provide you see more blue skies you'll see on the indicator.

Some people fly just by looking at the gauges, its called Instrument Rules Certified while the other is called Visual flight Rules

The rest are overhead and side control panels of you VOR, UHF/VHF/HF ADF radios, oxygen panels, autopilots, cabin pressure and a host of circuit breakers indicated by nos. for easy ID in their checklist procedures

Hope it helps!

So, now you got the basics, enjoy!

Would you like champage or orance juice for your after take-off drink?

"I'll have tomato juice with Tabasco pls!"

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 02:38 AM   #16
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdheaven
i thought everyone knew, half the buttons are fake, they are just to make the whole "flying" thing look more complicated
Im sorry to take away from the thread but, Cdheaven, what the hell is that thing in your picture?
      03-29-2006, 07:11 AM   #17
Hula-Hula
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW0
Serentiy Now!

lol I loved Firefly!!!
________
Fuck Tubecom
________
New Jersey Medical Marijuana Dispensary
________
Shaved Pussy live

Last edited by Hula-Hula; 08-27-2011 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0