BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

11-02-2019, 02:27 AM   #133
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Would you give someone a break if you saw a KMA-367 plate or 10-99 and not even pull them over?
I wouldn't automatically assume that the person driving was a law enforcement supporter simply due to the plate/plate frame; criminals use those tricks & tactics too. Upon conversing with the driver I would decide whether or not to issue a citation based on a number of factors.
Had a buddy who had the KMA367 and swore it worked and got him out of many tickets (many times being 100+)... beginning to question it now lol but he also did have family serving.

Do you get pulled over and just get the pass since you are a law enforcement officer?
I would wager that having family was the reason why your friend received so many passes for driving so recklessly (...CVC 22348(b) for exceeding 100mph/CVC 23103 for reckless driving.....here in California).

Admittedly, I would only face major repercussions for egregious actions behind the wheel. That isn't meant to imply that I can act with impunity, but just like latitude can be shown to a civilian for infractions and some misdemeanors, the same applies to sworn individuals.
Thanks for clarifying.

Lastly, the rumors I hear.... does 100+mph get you in the back seat of the cruiser every time? Curious.
I can't say that an arrest would occur every time, but the officer making contact with the driver wouldn't be too happy under most circumstances. Allow me to paint two pictures for you to better help you and other forum members understand how playing with the variables potentially changes the outcome(s)......

Situation #1:

A California Highway Patrolman driving northbound on the 15 freeway encounters a "land sled" (...aka, a 7 Series, S Class, or other large passenger vehicle capable of making 100+ mph feel like 60 mph...LOL!) north of Barstow traveling at about 100mph; no other traffic or cars in the immediate vicinity. The CHP officer effects a traffic stop, and upon making contact with the driver he finds that the occupants in the vehicle are a married couple in their 50's who are on their way to Las Vegas for their wedding anniversary weekend. The typical dialogue occurs (..."Hello I'm Officer Bimmerpost! Do you know why I stopped you? What's the hurry? Etc.), and the license and insurance information is valid. The officer issues a warning or a cite. The couple are sent on their way.

Situation #2:

A California Highway Patrolman traveling southbound on the 405 freeway observes a late model Ford Mustang weaving through traffic at speeds in excess of 100 mph. The CHP officer effects a traffic stop, and upon making contact with the driver it is discovered that he is a 25 year old male with priors for exhibition of speed, and his license is suspended. The typical dialogue occurs, the driver is removed from the vehicle and subsequently arrested on various violations. The Ford Mustang is impounded subsequent to CVC 22651(h), the authority to store or impound a motor vehicle in relation to an arrest.

In both instances, the drivers are traveling in excess of 100 mph, but other variables/factors would be considered that would change the officer's actions.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614882.00
MKSixer34171.50
      11-02-2019, 08:04 AM   #134
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Do you get pulled over and just get the pass since you are a law enforcement officer?
A friend of mine is a police officer, and he gets tickets more times than not when driving out-of-state. One highway trooper in the midwest even told him that he was giving him a full-speed ticket and not a warning because as someone "on the job" he should know better than to be driving like he was at the time.....
      11-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #135
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Would you give someone a break if you saw a KMA-367 plate or 10-99 and not even pull them over?
I wouldn't automatically assume that the person driving was a law enforcement supporter simply due to the plate/plate frame; criminals use those tricks & tactics too. Upon conversing with the driver I would decide whether or not to issue a citation based on a number of factors.
Had a buddy who had the KMA367 and swore it worked and got him out of many tickets (many times being 100+)... beginning to question it now lol but he also did have family serving.

I would wager that having family was the reason why your friend received so many passes for driving so recklessly (...CVC 22348(b) for exceeding 100mph/CVC 23103 for reckless driving.....here in California).

Admittedly, I would only face major repercussions for egregious actions behind the wheel. That isn't meant to imply that I can act with impunity, but just like latitude can be shown to a civilian for infractions and some misdemeanors, the same applies to sworn individuals.
Thanks for clarifying.

Lastly, the rumors I hear.... does 100+mph get you in the back seat of the cruiser every time? Curious.
I can't say that an arrest would occur every time, but the officer making contact with the driver wouldn't be too happy under most circumstances. Allow me to paint two pictures for you to better help you and other forum members understand how playing with the variables potentially changes the outcome(s)......

Situation #1:

A California Highway Patrolman driving northbound on the 15 freeway encounters a "land sled" (...aka, a 7 Series, S Class, or other large passenger vehicle capable of making 100+ mph feel like 60 mph...LOL!) north of Barstow traveling at about 100mph; no other traffic or cars in the immediate vicinity. The CHP officer effects a traffic stop, and upon making contact with the driver he finds that the occupants in the vehicle are a married couple in their 50's who are on their way to Las Vegas for their wedding anniversary weekend. The typical dialogue occurs (..."Hello I'm Officer Bimmerpost! Do you know why I stopped you? What's the hurry? Etc.), and the license and insurance information is valid. The officer issues a warning or a cite. The couple are sent on their way.

Situation #2:

A California Highway Patrolman traveling southbound on the 405 freeway observes a late model Ford Mustang weaving through traffic at speeds in excess of 100 mph. The CHP officer effects a traffic stop, and upon making contact with the driver it is discovered that he is a 25 year old male with priors for exhibition of speed, and his license is suspended. The typical dialogue occurs, the driver is removed from the vehicle and subsequently arrested on various violations. The Ford Mustang is impounded subsequent to CVC 22651(h), the authority to store or impound a motor vehicle in relation to an arrest.

In both instances, the drivers are traveling in excess of 100 mph, but other variables/factors would be considered that would change the officer's actions.
Got it. Lol @ land sled and how an officer would call it that. In situation 2 the person did have a suspended drivers license so I would also myself safely assume he is going to get put in the slammer due to his actions.

I'd be more concerned what would happen say if on the 15 you encounter an open patch and no traffic and you just hit 105mph for a second or two with no other cars around and the lights come on. Clean record and all. Guessing a citation only ?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 09:41 AM   #136
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for clarifying.

Situation #1:

Situation #2:

Got it. Lol @ land sled and how an officer would call it that. In situation 2 the person did have a suspended drivers license so I would also myself safely assume he is going to get put in the slammer due to his actions.

I'd be more concerned what would happen say if on the 15 you encounter an open patch and no traffic and you just hit 105mph for a second or two with no other cars around and the lights come on. Clean record and all. Guessing a citation only ?
It's pretty safe to say that we wouldn't catch a brief dip into the hundreds.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 09:42 AM   #137
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
A friend of mine is a police officer, and he gets tickets more times than not when driving out-of-state. One highway trooper in the midwest even told him that he was giving him a full-speed ticket and not a warning because as someone "on the job" he should know better than to be driving like he was at the time.....
This doesn't surprise me. I have heard of that happening.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #138
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for clarifying.

Situation #1:

Situation #2:

Lol. I've done it maybe once or twice when I just wanted to see a triple digit on my dash on a new vehicle and how quick it'll get there and immediately slowed down right after. Regret it always after since not only is it not safe but if an officer saw that would've been it.

Great thread btw, glad you are open with everyone and giving people the information in a positive way.. totally expected the opposite since it started lol.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24809.50
MKSixer34171.50
      11-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #139
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for clarifying.

Situation #1:

Situation #2:

Lol. I've done it maybe once or twice when I just wanted to see a triple digit on my dash on a new vehicle and how quick it'll get there and immediately slowed down right after. Regret it always after since not only is it not safe but if an officer saw that would've been it.

Great thread btw, glad you are open with everyone and giving people the information in a positive way.. totally expected the opposite since it started lol.
This thread has been surprisingly civil. I enjoy offering the perspective from my side of the line in hopes that it'll help people better understand the thought process(es) of the law enforcement official making contact with them. The manner/temperament in which I present information in this thread is exactly the same as my demeanor when I deal with the public on traffic stops and calls for service (... or inmates in a jail facility). I have two threads on E46Fanatics titled: "The official good cop thread" and "The official bad cop thread". Let's just say that the latter isn't so civil. Lol!
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34171.50
      11-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #140
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
My recently acquired 428 has tints which I’m debating having them removed. This past week at night I was pulled over and didn’t understand why. I quickly lowered my windows to help make the officer at ease as I can understand approaching a car with tints may make any officer a little tense as they don’t know what’s going on inside. I kept my hands on the steering wheel and the officer mentioned that they were looking for a black BMW with tints that was involved in a chase or whatever and thankfully I wasn’t the guy.

Do you agree with my strategy? Anything that can be done differently? I wasn’t asked for my license/info as they were clearly looking for someone else.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #141
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
My recently acquired 428 has tints which I'm debating having them removed. This past week at night I was pulled over and didn't understand why. I quickly lowered my windows to help make the officer at ease as I can understand approaching a car with tints may make any officer a little tense as they don't know what's going on inside. I kept my hands on the steering wheel and the officer mentioned that they were looking for a black BMW with tints that was involved in a chase or whatever and thankfully I wasn't the guy.

Do you agree with my strategy? Anything that can be done differently? I wasn't asked for my license/info as they were clearly looking for someone else.
Your actions during that detention were sound. Good job! I don't want to nitpick because there's nothing wrong with the way you handled it. I made a post earlier in this thread about how to handle traffic stops. I'll find it for you.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan

During a T-stop.....

.....turn off the car, roll down all windows, turn on the interior lights, and place your hands on the steering wheel. Have your license and registration easily/readily accessible, and have your front passenger place their hands on their knees; rear passengers hands on the headrests. Doing that will ease law enforcement. We are always looking at hands and watching for movement, so making it easier for us will keep tension at a minimum.

As for the tint....

...just remove it from the front driver/passenger side windows if you're in California or another state where it is impermissible to have tint on those windows; have the clear tint that reduces heat installed on those two windows instead.
Appreciate 2
F30lolz6798.50
vreihen1614882.00
      11-02-2019, 06:34 PM   #142
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

What is your service firearm?

Issued by department or purchase choice?

And what is your backup firearm?
      11-02-2019, 06:42 PM   #143
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scostu View Post
What is your service firearm?

Issued by department or purchase choice?

And what is your backup firearm?
With my previous department it was the .40 caliber Smith & Wesson 4006 service pistol. With my current department it's the Smith & Wesson M&P9 (...new hires are now being issued the 2.0 version I believe). My previous department now issues the Smith & Wesson M&P .40 instead of the 4006. I have the choice to carry a Glock on-duty as well, but I would have to purchase that myself and take a Glock firearms course. We have the choice to carry a few other guns, but we can't carry anything we want. There's a specific list of approved on-duty/off-duty guns. On-duty back-up is a .38 Ruger LCR 5-shot; off-duty I carry a Smith & Wesson Shield 2.0 9mm, a Smith & Wesson 2.0 Compact 9mm (..with the 3.4" barrel), and a Sig Sauer P365 9mm. Right now the Sig is on me most often with 15+1 capacity, and I keep two 12-round mags in pockets.
Appreciate 1
scostu1619.50
      11-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #144
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With my previous department it was the .40 caliber Smith & Wesson 4006 service pistol. With my current department it's the Smith & Wesson M&P9 (...new hires are now being issued the 2.0 version I believe). My previous department now issues the Smith & Wesson M&P .40 instead of the 4006. I have the choice to carry a Glock on-duty as well, but I would have to purchase that myself and take a Glock firearms course. We have the choice to carry a few other guns, but we can't carry anything we want. There's a specific list of approved on-duty/off-duty guns. On-duty back-up is a .38 Ruger LCR 5-shot; off-duty I carry a Smith & Wesson Shield 2.0 9mm, a Smith & Wesson 2.0 Compact 9mm (..with the 3.4" barrel), and a Sig Sauer P365 9mm. Right now the Sig is on me most often with 15+1 capacity, and I keep two 12-round mags in pockets.
Mind you....I was on the job in 1998.... service weapon was Glock 22. Issued by our agency....I carried Glock 28 velcro to my armor so I could swap magazines.

After I left …..our Rangemaster switched our agency to HK45s.
      11-02-2019, 07:02 PM   #145
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Mind you....I was on the job in 1998.... service weapon was Glock 22. Issued by our agency....I carried Glock 28 velcro to my armor so I could swap magazines.

After I left …..our Rangemaster switched our agency to HK45s.
Do you miss the job?!? I always wonder what retirement is like for those who came before me.

Here's our most recent list of approved carry firearms (...not OPSEC sensitive)....

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-14-2022 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
scostu1619.50
      11-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #146
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you miss the job?!? I always wonder what retirement is like for those who came before me.

Here's our most recent list of approved carry firearms (...not OPSEC sensitive)....
It had its good day/bad days.

I remember a high speed pursuit south bound I95 listening to radio with White Zombie …."More Human than Human!"...……….then shit call with a 5 yr old drowning.

Law enforcement road patrol was anything but boring...….but YOU were exposed to what the worst of society has to offer...….
      11-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #147
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It had its good day/bad days.

I remember a high speed pursuit south bound I95 listening to radio with White Zombie …."More Human than Human!"...……….then shit call with a 5 yr old drowning.

Law enforcement road patrol was anything but boring...….but YOU were exposed to what the worst of society has to offer...….
Indeed! What [we] see or have seen is troubling; some people are savages. The death of children is an even harder pill to swallow. Thank you for your service Sir!
Appreciate 1
scostu1619.50
      11-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #148
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Indeed! What [we] see or have seen is troubling; some people are savages. The death of children is an even harder pill to swallow. Thank you for your service Sir!
Stay safe!
      11-02-2019, 07:21 PM   #149
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Stay safe!
Copy that Sir!
Appreciate 1
scostu1619.50
      11-02-2019, 07:24 PM   #150
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Not a question, but one of the funniest things anyone ever said to me at my expense was during a traffic stop. This was probably well over a decade ago, but I was trying to get back to work from lunch and of course blasted right by an officer. It was actually my birthday so I asked her if she could cut me a break. She said no, handed me a ticket and said “now you have something to read while you eat your birthday cake”.

Savage but had me laughing.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 07:27 PM   #151
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Not a question, but one of the funniest things anyone ever said to me at my expense was during a traffic stop. This was probably well over a decade ago, but I was trying to get back to work from lunch and of course blasted right by an officer. It was actually my birthday so I asked her if she could cut me a break. She said no, handed me a ticket and said "now you have something to read while you eat your birthday cake".

Savage but had me laughing.

That is pretty savage, but funny. I think I would've given you a break. What were you cited for exactly?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #152
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

That is pretty savage, but funny. I think I would've given you a break. What were you cited for exactly?
I had a good laugh. Thinking back this was probably 15 years ago, when I was a young professional (use that term loosely) right out of college working in Carlsbad. Citation was just speeding, probably 70ish in a 55 (El Camino Real). Few hundred bucks, traffic school, and a good story in the end.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 07:47 PM   #153
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Quote:

I had a good laugh. Thinking back this was probably 15 years ago, when I was a young professional (use that term loosely) right out of college working in Carlsbad. Citation was just speeding, probably 70ish in a 55 (El Camino Real). Few hundred bucks, traffic school, and a good story in the end.
I was just visiting a friend out in Encinitas overnight who lives off the Leucadia exit. Right in your hood!
Appreciate 1
pz6193274.00
      11-02-2019, 08:37 PM   #154
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I was just visiting a friend out in Encinitas overnight who lives off the Leucadia exit. Right in your hood!
It’s a great area. Absolutely love it down here!

Next time you’re down here and so inclined to, let me know. Happy to grab a drink of your choice.
Appreciate 0